Bills to trade Kiko Alonso for LeSean McCoy

CNY315

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yet the Bills have 6th round pick (Boobie Dixon), a 7th round pick (Bryce Brown) and an undrafted FA (Fred Jackson) who combined last year couldn't top McCoy's production.

But yes, carry on.

None of them got anywhere near the carries McCoy did, and they all played in the vaunted Marrone/Hackett/Orton offense. But yes, carry on.

Now that the initial shock is wearing off there's a few things that I'd like to share. First and foremost for the people who are concerned about the cap hit this might ease some fears. I was listening to Polian on Sirius last night at 8:00 CST, I'm in Louisiana visiting my kids, and while I had to cut his commentary short he was basically explaining that under the new bargaining agreement, I think that's what he was referring to, that there is a salary cap floor that has to be met. The Bills apparently are well below it and HAD to spend to meet it. So for all of those who are worried about Shady's cap hit, don't be, the Bills are just fine.

Secondly I'd like to say is that when I first heard about the trade it made me sick. While I highly respect Shady's abilities I was never impressed with his competitive spirit. I'm old old school and someone who doesn't DEMAND the rock ALL the time isn't my kind of player. I have read him saying in the past, I think 2 years ago?, something to the effect of that, that he was getting the ball too much or that he's alright with coming out of the game and sharing some of the carries. Either way, I'm not a big fan of this type of 'team work'. Whether people agree with me on this or not, I have the right or privledge to feel like this. The other factor I think, and this may apply to others who weren't too thrilled about the trade, is that I guess I got smacked right in the puss with the cold reality of business. The players are more names than people and that's not how I grew up, so I guess that I better grow up.....again. All I want is for this team, this franchise to be great and hopefully even win us a Super Bowl. If this trade helps us do that, or gets us closer to being a strong play-off team than I'm down like 4 flats.

In closing, no matter what anyone wants to think or say about anything that's been going on one thing is for sure and that is whether if it's Whaley, Rex, the Pegulas or whoever, or just collectively, man this franchise sure has some balls the last couple seasons! Wow!

Come on everyone.

Lets be honest.

We didnt miss Alonso last year and now we have an even more brilliant defensive coach that will make our D better than last year.

We traded Alonso back to his old college coach who I am sure has some bias towards him and was willing to trade a top 5 RB (who we sorely need)

Now defenses will have to respect the run and thus takes more pressure oof of our QB

CBF

Apologies if this has been posted already. Reportedly Shady is not happy about the trade and doesn't want to play in Buffalo. Hope that isn't true

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/3/3/8146225/lesean-mccoy-not-happy-traded-buffalo-bills-block-kiko-alonso

From that article:

"It'll be interesting to see how this process plays itself out because he's an interesting individual. In your mind, when you think of Buffalo you think of cold and losing games. It’s not like it’s the Philadelphia market where you’re always on t.v. and you’re playing for like the division title or that type of thing…It was unexpected. I'll tell you that much."

Isn't that exactly like Philadelphia? Is Philadelphia in California now, it doesn't snow there? Have they been known for winning? How many superbowls do they have? What a weird comment.

Apologies if this has been posted already. Reportedly Shady is not happy about the trade and doesn't want to play in Buffalo. Hope that isn't true

http://www.bleedinggreennation.com/2015/3/3/8146225/lesean-mccoy-not-happy-traded-buffalo-bills-block-kiko-alonso

100% irrelevant. Shady will join the long list of players who "thought" they wouldn't like Buffalo and then fell in love with the city and fan base.

I'm really not sure what to think about this trade. Productive RBs are not that difficult to find, McCoys cap hit seems pretty high for a RB, there are others coming available in FA such as DeMarco Murray, DeAngelo Williams, Chris Johnson, Peyton Hillis and soon apparently Steven Jackson that would not have cost Alonso. On the other hand, McCoy is still a good RB even if he is starting to decline, and LBs in general aren't that hard to find either. Ultimately I think both teams got what they needed short term. But I suspect long term Philly made out better.

I'm really not sure what to think about this trade. Productive RBs are not that difficult to find, McCoys cap hit seems pretty high for a RB, there are others coming available in FA such as DeMarco Murray, DeAngelo Williams, Chris Johnson, Peyton Hillis and soon apparently Steven Jackson that would not have cost Alonso. On the other hand, McCoy is still a good RB even if he is starting to decline, and LBs in general aren't that hard to find either. Ultimately I think both teams got what they needed short term. But I suspect long term Philly made out better.

you lost me at Peyton Hillis.

Wut

None of them got anywhere near the carries McCoy did, and they all played in the vaunted Marrone/Hackett/Orton offense. But yes, carry on.

So your logic is that if anyone of them got as many carries as McCoy they would have produced the same numbers? Why is it that they didn't get the same amount of carries?

From that article:

Isn't that exactly like Philadelphia? Is Philadelphia in California now, it doesn't snow there? Have they been known for winning? How many superbowls do they have? What a weird comment.

yeah, but in Philly they are televised apparently. As if Rex won't bring this team TV attention

From that article:

theyve won a heckuva lot more games the last 10-15 years than we have.

Then how come so many teams don't have one?

Are you serious? Johnson, Hillis, or Jackson..? Wow

To equate McCoy to Hillis, Jackson, Williams or Chris Johnson is ludicrous. Murray would cost more salary wise and there's absolutely zero guarantee he'd come here.

Chris Johnson, Peyton Hillis and an old Stephen Jackson are not productive rb's... Murray theoritically wasn't coming to Buffalo.. DeAngelo could be either/or and I wouldn't have complained if the Bills had signed him.

To equate McCoy to Hillis, Jackson, Williams or Chris Johnson is ludicrous. Murray would cost more salary wise and there's absolutely zero guarantee he'd come here.

he is trying to stay in Dallas. No guarantee he would be as good here either considering the passing game and OL they had there.

I hope the #billsmafia comes out in huge support, blow up his twitter with positive vibes. There has been plenty of players that were hesitant about playing for Buffalo until they saw what our fan base is like. :)

he is trying to stay in Dallas. No guarantee he would be as good here either considering the passing game and OL they had there.

DeMarco said the other day that if the money was anywhere close he'll be back in Dallas. We are fighting an uphill battle to bring FAs here, except for the guys who know and love Rex. But let's not allow facts to get in the way of the hyperbole.

How about this? Keep Alonso, draft Gurley (or another RB), save 8 million in salary and spend it on the offensive line?

You people realize that Bryce Brown looked like a star in that Philly offense too? McCoy has had the benefit of a good to great offensive line, and excellent offensive coaching (Reid and now Chip) his whole career. He won't have that here and when he's being outplayed by Freddie, there will be some sad people on this board.

This trade sucks on so many levels it's not even funny. Whaley needs to go. The guy is as clueless as he is reckless.

How about this? Keep Alonso, draft Gurley (or another RB), save 8 million in salary and spend it on the offensive line?

You people realize that Bryce Brown looked like a star in that Philly offense too? McCoy has had the benefit of a good to great offensive line, and excellent offensive coaching (Reid and now Chip) his whole career. He won't have that here and when he's being outplayed by Freddie, there will be some sad people on this board.

This trade sucks on so many levels it's not even funny. Whaley needs to go. The guy is as clueless as he is reckless.

I'm pretty sure Greg Roman has been to more conference championships than Chip Kelly. Just a thought

This could all very well be true but I think we should all wait until after FA and the draft before we pass judgement on Whaley's current plan of attack.

This trade on it's own looks worse if it is the only move they make but if some more pieces fall into place over the next month or so it could end up looking a lot better.

Edited by Metal Man

And yet the run D got precipitously better without him in 2014.

Of course it doesn't mean that he sucks, but when you balance out the needs, Bills gained much more in a position where they are weak than they lost in a position where they were strong. Plus, there's far better value in FA to get the LB replacement than what's available for RBs.

PS - we usually knock the Bills for thinking they're smarter than the rest of the league, and usually the team is proven wrong. This time, the sentiment is tilted heavily towards the Bills, and I agree.

Gerry:

Perhaps I'm the wrong person to weigh in given what the years of suffering inflicted by a bad owner obsessed with the RB position have done to me. 11 first round picks and 6 second round picks in 50 seasons on the RB position combined with 22 winning seasons in 55 years sticks in my mind. I do realize that correlation isn't causation, and I know that McCoy is a good player. But I also think that Alonso is a difference maker who helped make a terrible defense (the 2012 version) one of the more fearsome ones in the league in 2013. I'll hope for the best.

One other thing: I know that Alonso isn't a great fit for Rex's defense, but I can't help but recall Ted Washington. Good players are good players. I still think the defense will be at least pretty good, of course.

Edited by dave mcbride

The cap hit is a killer. $10 million plus. No one is spending that kind of running backs now and the draft is strong at the position. Can't extend him because he is 27, and may only have a few good years left.

I would much rather have a couple of solid free agents plus Kiko.

The Bills need an experienced person running this front office. This is not smart.

This is my issue with the trade. I can rationalize the skill for skill part. We didn't miss Kiko last year at all. But what the trade also does by proxy is cost is resigning one of our own.

Cap space is right around 25 mil, -5 for rookies, 10 for Shady. That leaves us around 10 mil to resign Bradham, Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore. In essence this move may cost us Kiko and one of the above.

Edited by Mango

Gerry:

Perhaps I'm the wrong person to weigh in given what the years of suffering inflicted by a bad owner obsessed with the RB position has done to me. 11 first round picks and 6 second round picks in 50 seasons on the RB position combined with 22 winning seasons in 50 years stays in my mind. I do realize that correlation isn't causation, and I know that McCoy is a good player. But I also think that Alonso is a difference maker who helped make a terrible defense (the 2012 version) one of the more fearsome ones in the league in 2013.

Dave, I'm not a huge fan of the trade but I also think the risk is being overblown a bit. Kiko is a great player but perhaps he is a better fit for a team like Philly that features a high-scoring, high-octane offense, and whose defense plays a lot of snaps, often protecting a lead. That's not Rex's vision for the Bills, and I'm ok with it - they want pluggers who can stop the run at the linebacker spots, and Kiko is light in the pants. As for Shady, while I'm VERY skeptical of chasing yet another shiny new RB, he's probably the best or second-best back in the league, with a few more years left at Level Elite. Assuming they're going to be just as aggressive finding a tight end and some guards, this could work out just fine.

There's still plenty of money to sign O-Linemen, TE, QB, and whatever else they feel they need. Is Gurley better than McCoy?

@RapSheet: The final piece of LeSean McCoy for Kiko Alonso deal expected to be a revised contract for Shady. Right now, he has no guaranteed $ in 2016

And there you go. Cap hit will go down and Shady gets some guarantees.