Bills to trade Kiko Alonso for LeSean McCoy

CNY315

Sports center reporting that their source to McCoy says he isn't big in favor of coming to Buffalo. Said he understands the issue,its business, but says he isn't happy about Buffalo

I was born there. I grew up there. My entire family and most of my best friends in the world still live there. And I wouldn't be in favor of moving back to Buffalo. Regardless of all the YouTube videos showing what a hidden gem Buffalo is, or how it's on the rise again don't make me want to move back. So I don't really blame the guy.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ByTimGraham: Bills fans can find some peace in what a knowledgable source tells me: Kiko Alonso did not request a trade.

Damn straight he didn't. The only guy reporting Kiko's unhappiness was the king of the misinformed, Jason LaContorta. Not one other peep from anyone, and several sources refuting that assertion.

This was not a "we need to move Kiko" decision -- it was a "let's make our team better" decision.

I still can't quite reconcile myself with the fit for McCoy in Roman's offense. I was not one of the Alonso fanboys (very good player but clearly expendable and in a position where with Bradham and Brown we have young stud players) I just am not sure McCoy is the power runner that Roman had and utilised in San Francisco. He prefers to run outside the tackles. Now he isn't CJ who will bounce, bounce, bounce again until there is clear daylight, but he did have problems in Philly at times last year in looking to hit the home run rather than taking the 4-5 yards that were there if he ran as he did in 2013 where it was a case of "get outside the tackles then head for daylight north to south. It is when you do that and you take what is there that the linebackers start cheating to the inside and then the bigger gaps outside open up.

He is also a threat in the passing game on those screens and wheel routes but that is another type of play that doesn't feature a lot in Roman's playbook based on the 49ers tape. Most of Gore's catches are just dump offs and in fact he only had 11 receptions the whole of last season with Hyde, his back up, catching just 12 balls is telling. Gore's 4 years in Roman's system his high for balls caught was 28 and his primary back up during that run Kendall Hunter's high was 16 (the same year as Gore's 28 in the year of the Superbowl loss). In his 5 years as the starter before Roman Gore's lowest number of receptions was 43. I think that tells you something.

So whilst I am not gutted about losing Kiko and I really rate McCoy highly as a player I think we are taking on a running back with a cap hit somewhere between $9million and $12million in an era where the position is devalued generally who isn't actually an obvious fit for our system based on what our OC has run before.

I don't hate the trade (how can you hate picking up a guy like Shady) but I certainly don't love it either for the reasons above.

His cap hit is $10M for this and drops to $6.9M next year...salary cap situation should not be a concern to anyone. Plenty to go around. Remember all the star players from the SB era? You need great players to win.

@MikeAndMike: "For what Rex Ryan wants to do, the fact that this trade dropped in his lap is incredible." - @espngolic http://t.co/UuES4mvsKo

@AnthMarino: McCoy is an elite back. Yes, some RB's are found off the street. This guy is the best RB behind AP.

@ESPNStatsInfo: Via @EliasSports: @CutonDime25 is headed to @buffalobills, a rare occurrence given his accolades. A closer look: http://t.co/pIoR0vd4ji

His cap hit is $10M for this and drops to $6.9M next year...salary cap situation should not be a concern to anyone. Plenty to go around. Remember all the star players from the SB era? You need great players to win.

Confirmed, just can't be done until next Tuesday.

That is still a lot of money unless the guy is THE man in your offensive scheme. I guess they intend to make McCoy that, but if they do Roman will not be running his 49ers offense. That's why as much as I love the boldness and the addition of a true high quality playmaker I don't love the risk / reward ratio.

I'd be shocked if he had.

yup

NFL Top 100 players

http://t.co/jWdmlWpol8

@theMMQB: Early reax from @SI_PeterKing on the LeSean-Kiko Eagles-Bills blockbuster, http://t.co/EfV6qWFT4dhttp://t.co/FPS2OAd3Kd

oh god, 43 is the MIKE

I’m confused by both the “we’re giving up a stud for an old guy” posters and the “Eh, Kiko was nothing special group.”

I think the truth, as always, lies in neither extreme…

You are correct. I think it is normal for fans to over value players on "their" team. Kiko made some outstanding plays in his rookie year and folks fell in love with him. They looked past his shortcomings and only saw the positives. More than your average player he became an icon among fans. That's ok, actually good.

This is one of those trades that I feel benefits both teams. Injury could derail things for either, but, right now...good deal. We're very good dealing with hindsight around here and we'll be talking about this trade for at least the next decade.

Interesting fact that has only a small relationship to this trade: the two biggest rb trades in the last 30 years involving elite RBs with a lot of mileage on their treads -- Hershel Walker and Eric Dickerson -- occurred when said RBs were 27 when the season started. Dickerson had two very good seasons for the Colts plus one pretty good one, and Walker was essentially a bust for the Vikings. Of course, both of those teams gave up far more than the Bills did (not that Alonso is a small price).

Edited by dave mcbride

His numbers were in free fall because the Eagles threw the football at a 3/2 ratio. Plus, rumor has it that McCoy fell out of favor with Kelly (and vice versa) due to personality differences.

Also there was a stat i heard on the radio that the McCoy declines are in direct correlation with Lane Johnson being injured/suspended.

Also there was a stat i heard on the radio that the McCoy declines are in direct correlation with Lane Johnson being injured/suspended.

He ran the ball just as much in 2014 (312 carries) as in 2014 (314 carries). He averaged a yard less per carry, however.

If Kiko Alonso was in this draft he would be the 1st defensive player taken. Probably the first non-QB take which could honestly mean he would be taken #1 overall in this crappy draft.

We should have been calling teams in the top 10 if we wanted to trade Kiko. Or at least get Nick Foles or something.

I mean really, we got a 4th rounder for Lynch. We should have traded a 4th or 5th for McCoy, not a player worth a top 10 pick in this upcoming draft.

Whaley and the Bills got totally OWNED. This will become more evident to all of you deniers over the next 12-36 months.

If Kiko Alonso was in this draft he would be the 1st defensive player taken. Probably the first non-QB take which could honestly mean he would be taken #1 overall in this crappy draft.

We should have been calling teams in the top 10 if we wanted to trade Kiko. Or at least get Nick Foles or something.

I mean really, we got a 4th rounder for Lynch. We should have traded a 4th or 5th for McCoy, not a player worth a top 10 pick in this upcoming draft.

Whaley and the Bills got totally OWNED. This will become more evident to all of you deniers over the next 12-36 months.

I highly doubt anyone in the top ten would trade a 1st for Alonso. I don't think any team would trade a 1st for Alonso. The guy is coming off an ACL tear, has had all of 1 good season behind one of the best DL in the NFL. It could be argued he isn't even in the top 10 at his position in the NFL

I'm down on this trade but if we can somehow fill Kiko's vacancy via free agency I'll be able to accept it.

It won't keep me from hating these myopic moves on WR's and RB's from Whaley when the priority should be offensive line. QB being obvious but more difficult to fill.