Bills to trade Kiko Alonso for LeSean McCoy

CNY315

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So you are completely disregarding Whaley's established track record of finding LBs, and instead projecting the failings of past GMs going as far back as Tom Donahoe onto him. Ok. Great argument you are making here...

You can be pissed if you want. I'll trust that Whaley and Rex Ryan know how to identify LB talent.

i also don't get the "this is so Rex!!" Seems like everyone was worried he was only focused on D and doesn't care about offense. Shouldn't this suggest he cares a great deal about scoring points adding one of the league's best offensive playmakers, especially if Kiko is so indispensable? Or did he watch his film and decide he was indeed expendable and could win without him? Edited by YoloinOhio

We have plenty of good young up and comer LBs.....our RBs are below average and why does everyone care about the cap hit? This drives me nuts. Bills have plenty of cap space to sign whomever they choose.

Look, I'm not hating on McCoy AT ALL, but the cap space this year has doesn't cover the money we need to get a lot of guys re-signed next year. I don't want future cap issues when we need to pay guys on second contracts. That's a lot for a RB. My argument is mostly from a cap stand point based on the position, but his miles concern me too. Having said that, I hope he tears it up and makes it look like a deal.

Edited by Augie

Look, I'm not hating on McCoy AT ALL, but the cap space this year has doesn't cover the money we need to get a lot of guys re-signed. I don't want future cap issues when we need to pay guys on second contracts. That's a lot for a RB. My argument is mostly from a cap stand point based on the position, but his miles concern me too. Having said that, I hope he tears it up and makes it look like a deal.

i honestly don't believe the cap is an issue. There are a lot of creative things teams can do. They are prepared to spend, it seems.

Over the shock. I've made my peace with this. Just need to fix that offensive line or the Ferrari we just bought won't ever make it out of the garage. Do that and this is deal can work. One thing is clear, the Bills trust has a jumbo, gigantor sized pair of....

Look, I'm not hating on McCoy AT ALL, but the cap space this year has doesn't cover the money we need to get a lot of guys re-signed. I don't want future cap issues when we need to pay guys on second contracts. That's a lot for a RB. My argument is mostly from a cap stand point based on the position, but his miles concern me too. Having said that, I hope he tears it up and makes it look like a deal.

Understand your points. McCoys cap drops to $6.9M next year. Bills have plenty of options to get more space if needed. This organization thinks they can and wants to win now.....but we gave up a LB who did not play due to injury who himself said he's not quite 100% for a star RB....

Understand your points. McCoys cap drops to $6.9M next year. Bills have plenty of options to get more space if needed. This organization thinks they can and wants to win now.....but we gave up a LB who did not play due to injury who himself said he's not quite 100% for a star RB....

I'll be very surprised if Shady doesn't sign a new deal that lowers his cap number. The simple truth is we still have more than enough cap room to resign Hughes or a replacement for him, bring in a QB like Hoyer to compete with EJ and sign one of the top guards with money left over.

I wonder how many of the people complaining about the money really have any understanding of all you can do with the NFL cap. The Saints and Seahawks are supposedly capped out yet somehow are able to sign players like Byrd, Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett ever year. We have nearly 30 mil of cap room after cleaning up some deadweight like Rivers, we have plenty of flexibility.

FALSE.

Top 3 RB'S are NOT a dime a dozen. This has been repeated in this thread. And it's wrong.

Yes, they are. The difference between the production of McCoy and a late round pick or a street free agent is simply not that great. It has been proven over and over and over the past 5-6 years. And when you factor in McCoy's cap hit as well, this is a horrific trade for Buffalo.

Nice, balanced analysis by Peter King:

http://mmqb.si.com/2015/03/04/lesean-mccoy-kiko-alonso-bills-eagles-trade-nfl/

Rex Ryan, who wants to play a ground-and-pound style of offense, gets one of the five best runners in football. And the Bills suddenly become less fearful of an offense without a franchise quarterback.

Edited by Lurker

I'll be very surprised if Shady doesn't sign a new deal that lowers his cap number. The simple truth is we still have more than enough cap room to resign Hughes or a replacement for him, bring in a QB like Hoyer to compete with EJ and sign one of the top guards with money left over.

I wonder how many of the people complaining about the money really have any understanding of all you can do with the NFL cap. The Saints and Seahawks are supposedly capped out yet somehow are able to sign players like Byrd, Cliff Avril and Michael Bennett ever year. We have nearly 30 mil of cap room after cleaning up some deadweight like Rivers, we have plenty of flexibility.

very few people understand the cap including me, which is why teams employ guys specifically to deal with the cap. It's very complicated. But the fact is that it is never as simple as what the average person sees and it's not something to worry about as a fan imo. Contracts can be redone, they can now structure deals differently with Pegulas as owners, cap keeps going up. the FO has a plan and are moving fwd. let them worry about the cap. Edited by YoloinOhio

Yes, they are. The difference between the production of McCoy and a late round pick or a street free agent is simply not that great. It has been proven over and over and over the past 5-6 years. And when you factor in McCoy's cap hit as well, this is a horrific trade for Buffalo.

:wallbash:

Please name a street FA RB or a late round pick that will be better than McCoy? I want specific names.

The drop in the cap hit makes me feel a little better. We have a lot of second contracts coming up and that's going to cost big time. I'd feel much better about a cheap young RB on his first deal (like Kiko at LB). Hopefully we can get decent enough OLine and QB play that we can use all our toys! It has the potential to be pretty exciting.

No, they aren't. It's not proven year after year. The same backs (Peterson, McCoy, Lynch, Forte, Murray, Charles, Foster) are at the top of the rushing lists every single year. Sure, there's a back or two every year that comes out of nowhere (Forsett last year) to post a great season, but usually those guys runs are shortlived.

A guy like Foster or flash in the pans like Forsett don't prove there's franchise RBs available late in every draft any more than a once in a lifetime player like Brady proves theres franchise QBs available late in every draft. The simple truth is almost all of the great running backs currently playing went no later than the 3rd round.