Bills to trade Kiko Alonso for LeSean McCoy

CNY315

Find your own good young players and make them stars. Don't over pay fo someones elses known star who has a lot of miles on him and gets top dollar. Not Saying I hate it or McCoy, but I do not like the philosophy, unless you get a QB.

How did we overpay...No draft picks involved and just like RBs...LBs are a dime a dozen and easily found.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did we overpay...No draft picks involved and just like RBs...LBs are a dime a dozen and easily found.

Except LB had been a major major need for the bills from about 2001 until last off season when we struck gold with Brown, signed Spikes, and Bradham finally had the light come on. All at once.

Meanwhile there are 6 guys working at Walmart right now who will rush for 100 yards next season for the Pats***

Oh, and dont forget, Spikes is a goner, and now Kiko. Hughes hasnt been resigned. If we are converting to a 3-4, we now have only 2 LBr spots filled with Brown and Bradham. Who is going to play outside?

Edited by peterpan

Btw, Alonso led the team with 11 stuffs in 2013. Most came after the first five games. He had 2 in the first 5 games and 9 in the final 11. (This is for those saying he declined precipitously after game 5.)

And yet the run D got precipitously better without him in 2014.

Of course it doesn't mean that he sucks, but when you balance out the needs, Bills gained much more in a position where they are weak than they lost in a position where they were strong. Plus, there's far better value in FA to get the LB replacement than what's available for RBs.

PS - we usually knock the Bills for thinking they're smarter than the rest of the league, and usually the team is proven wrong. This time, the sentiment is tilted heavily towards the Bills, and I agree.

Edited by GG

Those who hate the trade and feel like they want to stop supporting the Bills, here are two suggestions for you

• Send in a job application for Whaley's job since you, behind a computer, can do it better.
  • IF you are really done, the Patriots need more bandwagon jumpers. Go support them!
For the rest of you, let's see how it pans out. I see the merit in the trade as McCoy is a top flight RB in the prime of his career, he can play in cold weather and this team needs some damn star power.

Now, resign Hughes and Spikes. . .try to get Revis for a two year deal (if possible) to lock down the secondary completely and draft a guard 2nd round that is ready to go this year!

You have some great ideas. I cant believe i am saying this... BUT we need a QB i was one of those EJ guys last year. And still now. But... THE WEAPONS. Wow we need a guy who will get them all the ball. Watkins McCoy Woods if i were a QB i would have to be down. I would think the bills could almost beat all the QB suitors off with a stick... build an o line and they will come.

Except LB had been a major major need for the bills from about 2001 until last off season when we struck gold with Brown, signed Spikes, and Bradham finally had the light come on. All at once.

Meanwhile there are 6 guys working at Walmart right now who will rush for 100 yards next season for the Pats***

Gee, that couldn't have anything to do with the fact the Tom Brady is the QB, could it?!?

and already have been found. Kiko would have been in a rotation with brown and Bradham on the outside. I love Kiko because he made some big plays and played every snap. But the fact that brown came in and also led the team in tackles as a rookie, could play 3 downs, and the D got better without him shows me he is not vital to the team's success. A stud 26 yr old RB is. Can't rely on FA because you need to convince a guy to sign here and can't rely on the draft because you can't project what those guys will do in the nfl. This is a 2 time all pro. Edited by YoloinOhio

A cheap young up and comer LB is part of it. But $9.75 mil for a running back (or whatever it is to us), is the bigger part of the equation. RB can be had for less of a cap hit allowing money for Hughes, Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore, etc. Not a fan of trading for non-QB stars as they've often shown their best already, especially at RB. Kiko is not a dime a dozen as much as a good RB is in my mind. The cap hit bothers me for the position.

Edited by Augie

and already have been found. Kiko would have been in a rotation with brown and Bradham on the outside. I love Kiko because he made some big plays and played every snap. But the fact that brown came in and also led the team in tackles as a rookie, could play 3 downs, and the D got better without him shows me he is not vital to the team's success. A stud 26 yr old RB is. Can't rely on FA because you need to convince a guy to sign here and can't rely on the draft because you can't project what those guys will do in the nfl. This is a 2 time all pro.

Plus possibly signing David Harris.......hard to not like this trade....Buffalo fans?? This is why we can't have nice things!!

Funny, you just proved the opposite point than the one you are trying to make. Notice how Kiko isnt in your sentence at all?

Look, we all love Kiko, but the fact is he was expendable. For the exact reason you just posted.

Whaley is a LB guru, probably because thats the position he played growing up and in college. He found Kiko at #46, Brown at #73. If we're that worried about LB depth, he can pick one at #50 this year now that we dont need a RB and especially if we sign another OG in FA.

Gee, that couldn't have anything to do with the fact the Tom Brady is the QB, could it?!?

Its Offensive line you dolt!!1

Funny, you just proved the opposite point than the one you are trying to make. Notice how Kiko isnt in your sentence at all?

Look, we all love Kiko, but the fact is he was expendable. For the exact reason you just posted.

Whaley is a LB guru, probably because thats the position he played growing up and in college. He found Kiko at #46, Brown at #73. If we're that worried about LB depth, he can pick one at #50 this year now that we dont need a RB and especially if we sign another OG in FA.

Or, we will go another 10 years before hitting on another LBer.

Besides, 1 RB plays at a time. 4 LBers will play at a time in this D. We need more LBers. Not less.

Plus possibly signing David Harris.......hard to not like this trade....Buffalo fans?? This is why we can't have nice things!!

I don't get it. Everyone cries for more offense and to spend money. They can't "buy" a franchise QB. They haven't even gotten to FA yet and already signed 1 "upgrade" guard and got one of the best workhorse RBs in the league. For someone they didn't use last year and were a better unit without. Edited by YoloinOhio

A cheap young up and comer LB is part of it. But $9.75 mil for a running back (or whatever it is to us), is the bigger part of the equation. RB can be had for less of a cap hit allowing money for Hughes, Dareus, Glenn, Gilmore, etc. Not a fan of trading for non-QB stars as they've often shown their best already, especially at RB. Kiko is not a dime a dozen as much as a good RB is in my mind. The cap hit bothers me for the position.

We have plenty of good young up and comer LBs.....our RBs are below average and why does everyone care about the cap hit? This drives me nuts. Bills have plenty of cap space to sign whomever they choose.

I don't get it. Everyone cries for more offense and to spend money. They can't "buy" a franchise QB. They haven't even gotten to FA yet and already signed 1 "upgrade" guard and got one of the best workhorse RBs in the league. For someone they didn't use last year and were a better unit without.

Yeah.... we need to let it go. I'm happy with the trade and can't wait until free agency starts. This team is already better than last year

Edited by nucci

Its Offensive line you dolt!!1

Or, we will go another 10 years before hitting on another LBer.

Besides, 1 RB plays at a time. 4 LBers will play at a time in this D. We need more LBers. Not less.

So you are completely disregarding Whaley's established track record of finding LBs, and instead projecting the failings of past GMs going as far back as Tom Donahoe onto him. Ok. Great argument you are making here...

You can be pissed if you want. I'll trust that Whaley and Rex Ryan know how to identify LB talent.

It's a good business move. Shady's a year younger and has been a lot more productive than CJ.

Somehow with all the off season moves, I hate to say it, but Kiko was expendable.

The Buffalo Bills 2015 AFCE Champions.