Bills to trade Kiko Alonso for LeSean McCoy

CNY315

:wallbash:

Please name a street FA RB or a late round pick that will be better than McCoy? I want specific names.

the only one (UDFA) currently succeeding in the nfl to the degree of McCoy without a top passing game (that's a big factor) is Arian Foster. Teams with great QBs and high powered passing games may very well be able to plug in just anyone because the D can't focus on them. We do not have that luxury, as we all saw last year. Stacked boxes all day. Edited by YoloinOhio

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very few people understand the cap including me, which is why teams employ guys specifically to deal with the cap. It's very complicated. But the fact is that it is never as simple as what the average person sees and it's not something to worry about as a fan imo. Contracts can be redone, they can now structure deals differently with Pegulas as owners, cap keeps going up. the FO has a plan and are moving fwd. let them worry about the cap.

Exactly my point. I'm a CPA, I run numbers all day every day. Even I struggle to grasp the full maneuverability of the cap. All I really know is the only time a team really runs into trouble is when you've got a Lions esque situation, where they drafted 3 very good players at the top of the wrong drafts and put themselves into trouble because they kept pushing back bonuses. We're nowhere near that type of situation.

the only one (UDFA) currently succeeding in the nfl to the degree of McCoy without a top passing game (that's a big factor) is Arian Foster. Teams with great QBs and high powered passing games may very well be able to plug in just anyone because the D can't focus on them. We do not have that luxury, as we all saw last year. Stacked boxes all day.

Even teams with a great QB can really struggle to find plug and play backs. Ridley had one good year, other than that he has been bad in NE and Mauroney was garbage before him. The Steelers struggled to run the ball for a couple of years before taking Le'Veon Bell high. The Colts couldn't make Trent Richardson work and their rushing game fell apart when Bradshaw went down. Montee Ball struggled mightly in Denver, who had problems running until CJ Anderson emerged. Those are teams with great offenses who invested high picks in running backs, almost all of them were busts.

People like to point to the one in a million examples like Foster, but ignore that every year 20+ backs get drafted and only a couple of them per draft class make a pro bowl once.

Do you think the Bills are done making moves?

It's not even time to START yet (for the most part) and we've made a couple surprising moves. What might we do once the games begin?!? I can't wait to see.

It's not even time to START yet (for the most part) and we've made a couple surprising moves. What might we do once the games begin?!? I can't wait to see.

I'm kinda excited too. Better than the old days of doing nothing.

Edited by nucci

Yes, they are. The difference between the production of McCoy and a late round pick or a street free agent is simply not that great. It has been proven over and over and over the past 5-6 years. And when you factor in McCoy's cap hit as well, this is a horrific trade for Buffalo.

If horrific = awesome then I completely agree.

the only one (UDFA) currently succeeding in the nfl to the degree of McCoy without a top passing game (that's a big factor) is Arian Foster. Teams with great QBs and high powered passing games may very well be able to plug in just anyone because the D can't focus on them. We do not have that luxury, as we all saw last year. Stacked boxes all day.

Badabing Yolo hits it.

Two very different situations being conflated:

1) Team has a very good QB and a very good passing game. Almost any RB can come in and exploit the holes that the need to defense the passing game gives them.

2) Team has a game-manager QB and depends upon the run for their bread-n-butter, uses the pass to exploit what's given to them by the need to defense that run

1) is why the Patriots were able to do "running back by committee" so effectively

2) is why teams like the Texans need Arian Foster and the Vikes Adrian Peterson, and why Gore was so important to SF esp. with Alex Smith under center (and maybe Kaep too).

We are evidently planning to become a run-first team with a game-manager QB, which is a heck of a lot more sensible than trying to run a great passing offense without a great QB *cough* Gailey *cough*

:wallbash:

Please name a street FA RB or a late round pick that will be better than McCoy? I want specific names.

I did not say there is one who will be BETTER than McCoy. I said not significantly lower production than McCoy. And of course I can't name the person because it will probably be someone no one has heard of who was anonymously toiling for a second tier school or dime such thing. Happens every year, more than once.

2009 RBs Knowshon Moreno 1 Donald Brown 1 Chris Wells 1 LeSean McCoy 2 Shonn Greene 3 Glen Coffee 3 Mike Goodson 4 Tony Fiammetta 4 Andre Brown 4 Gartrell Johnson 4 Quinn Johnson 5 Frank Summers 5 Javon Ringer 5 Cedric Peerman 6 Aaron Brown 6 James Davis 6 Bernard Scott 6 Chris Ogbonnaya 7 Javarris Williams 7 Fui Vakapuna 7 Eddie Williams 7 Larod Stephens-Howling 7 Rashad Jennings 7

2010 RBs C.J. Spiller 1 Ryan Mathews 1 Jahvid Best 1 Dexter McCluster 2 Toby Gerhart 2 Ben Tate 2 Montario Hardesty 2 Joe McKnight 4 John Conner 5 Anthony Dixon 6 Deji Karim 6 Jonathan Dwyer 6 James Starks 6 Charles Scott 6 Jameson Konz 7

2011 RBs Mark Ingram 1 Ryan Williams 2 Shane Vereen 2 Mikel Leshoure 2 Daniel Thomas 2 Demarco Murray 3 Stevan Ridley 3 Alexander Green 3 Roy Helu 4 Kendall Hunter 4 Delone Carter 4 Owen Marecic 4 Taiwan Jones 4 Bilal Powell 4 Jamie Harper 4 Johnny White 5 Anthony Sherman 5 Jacquizz Rodgers 5 Dion Lewis 5 Charles Clay 6 Evan Royster 6 Jordan Todman 6 Allen Bradford 6 Shaun Chapas 7 Da'Rel Scott 7 Shane Bannon 7 Anthony Allen 7 Baron Batch 7 Stanley Havili 7 Jay Finley 7

2012 RBs Trent Richardson 1 Doug Martin 1 David Wilson 1 Isaiah Pead 2 LaMichael James 2 Ronnie Hillman 3 Bernard Pierce 3 Lamar Miller 4 Robert Turbin 4 Rhett Ellison 4 Bradie Ewing 5 Chris Rainey 5 Vick Ballard 5 Alfred Morris 6 Cyrus Gray 6 Dan Herron 6 Terrance Ganaway 6 Michael Smith 7 Bryce Brown 7 Drake Dunsmore 7 Edwin Baker 7 Daryl Richardson 7

2013 RBs Giovani Bernard 2 Le'veon Bell 2 Montee Ball 2 Eddie Lacy 2 Christine Michael 2 Knile Davis 3 Johnathan Franklin 4 Kyle Juszczyk 4 Marcus Lattimore 4 Stepfan Taylor 5 Joseph Randle 5 Chris Thompson 5 Zachary Stacy 5 Mike Gillislee 5 Latavius Murray 6 Kenjon Barner 6 Andre Ellington 6 Mike James 6 Rex Burkhead 6 Spencer Ware 6 Braden Wilson 6 Tommy Bohanon 7 Jawan Jamison 7 Kerwynn Williams 7 Michael Cox 7

Edited by Chuck Wagon

As for a late round pick that is comparable I'd say Alfred Morris is in the discussion

Yes, they are. The difference between the production of McCoy and a late round pick or a street free agent is simply not that great. It has been proven over and over and over the past 5-6 years. And when you factor in McCoy's cap hit as well, this is a horrific trade for Buffalo.

And yet the Bills have 6th round pick (Boobie Dixon), a 7th round pick (Bryce Brown) and an undrafted FA (Fred Jackson) who combined last year couldn't top McCoy's production.

But yes, carry on.