RUMOR: EJ Manuel Likely To Be Cut

negativo

The next time Rex Ryan goes to the tattoo shop he should get "Dope" tattooed on his forehead if this is true.

Josh McCown sucks, he's a horrifically bad QB who's clearly not better than EJ Manuel and Manuel is a decade younger, faster and much less turnover prone.

The Rex Ryan era has officially jumped the shark if this stuff is true. "Insider" information regarding their stand up Bills QB EJ Manuel being leaked to a TSW poster? Very weak and classless which, with Rex in charge, would totally fit this franchise to a T now.

Are you this histrionic in all parts of your life?

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just ask myself how would cutting EJ be benificial for the team and I can't come up with an answer

CBF

Hes a locker room cancer.

Exhibit A - He wears a visor and cannot communicate with players in the huddle, possibly. Hes not a leader and never will be.

Exhibit B - His body language on the sidelines is not just terrible but nigh subversive. the way he stands and hangs his head says it all. He has no faith in his coaches or the front office and is conspiring.

Exhibit C - Many of his teammates have lost substantial sums investing in EJMLL on the Fantex exchange at his bequest.

Exhibit D - Its rumored that his mom seduced Ted Nolan which is a pretty divisive issue in the close knit Buffalo sports community.

Exhibit E - Hospital passes to Goodwin and Sammy.

Can't cut him soon enough in my opinion.

Do you also feel that J'vlle should cut Blake Bortles? After all, his rookie year was not very good - guess he'll never be any good...

I didnt watch Bortles enough to say but no I think two years is the minimum. After next year if he loses his starting job and doesnt seem to be developing I wouldnt be surprised if they cut him or try to trade him. EJ isnt coming off of his rookie year. He played in his rookie year, got injured but he did play. He then had entire offseason and came into camp terrible. He was then awful in the actual games, had his receivers turning on him and not trying and thus lost his job. Reports after that from what I heard from someone I know that had access to the practices is that he was still bad in practice against air throughout the season. If Bortles does all of that Id cut him

Edited by jletha

If the plan is to cut him, they have to be thinking big things for the draft, like Petty or Hundley. McCown will be the place holder until Roman and Rex can't stand it anymore. Having lived in the Tampa area for 5 years now and having seen a lot of McCown last year, I think the Bills FO is high for even bringing this guy in.

No way Whaley bails on his signature pick. The only chance Whaley has of cleaning that stain off of his record is to give EJ one more real shot at being the QB they all hoped they had drafted two years ago. Unless something epically amazing is in the works, I can't imagine EJ not getting a shot at the starting job.

If the plan is to cut him, they have to be thinking big things for the draft, like Petty or Hundley. McCown will be the place holder until Roman and Rex can't stand it anymore. Having lived in the Tampa area for 5 years now and having seen a lot of McCown last year, I think the Bills FO is high for even bringing this guy in.

Yet there are fans here who are perfectly fine with this direction because that's what Rex Ryan wants. This franchise is a complete joke if they cut Manuel for McCown.

No way Whaley bails on his signature pick. The only chance Whaley has of cleaning that stain off of his record is to give EJ one more real shot at being the QB they all hoped they had drafted two years ago. Unless something epically amazing is in the works, I can't imagine EJ not getting a shot at the starting job.

you're assuming Whaley has real power. I wouldn't.

To what end though? Why cut EJ? At worst, he's a solid backup, and his contract isn't anything to worry over from a salary cap perspective. I'm certainly not doubting Leroi (pbuh) but it doesn't make sense.

Makes even less sense when you read that EJ's contract is guaranteed and his cap hit this year jumps to $5.2 million if he's cut

Good Lord, Petty or Hundley qualifies as big things?

Can trades he made before the start of the league year? If so why wait? And Leroi said McCown/Locker. Why trade for Locker? If a deal has been made with Locker, it is tampering.

No, trades cannot be executed until the new league year, which coincides with free agency and starts March 10th at 4:15 I believe. If a deal has already been worked out it is not for Locker, as he is a FA and not a trade target. Locker seemed to be the opinion portion of his post. I think if a deal happens day 1 it cannot involve a FA unless they plan on throwing excessive money at him.

I'm not so clear that EJ is Whaley's signature pick, but

1) every GM will have hits and misses. Overall the "miss rate" on 1st round QB is something like 50%. This idea that a quality GM will never miss on a high round pick? Fans here need to "get over it"

2) If the coaches really feel that EJ can't be fixed, it's not Whaley's job to force him down their throats. That's not how to build a strong FO.

That said, see other posts where IMHO it makes no sense whatsoever to cut EJ.

Good Lord, Petty or Hundley qualifies as big things?

Well it won't be Mariotta or Winston. Those are the next QBs off the board and they would most likely have to move up at least within the second round to get the one they want. Picking a new QB and trading up to get him = big things. Note I didn't say the right thing.

Exhibit C - Many of his teammates have lost substantial sums investing in EJMLL on the Fantex exchange at his bequest.

Can't cut him soon enough in my opinion.

lol at Exhibit C

I would be mildly surprised if they cut EJ3, but not totally shocked. I ultimately don't believe he has what it takes to process info on the field and play with any sort of consistency. And for that reason, I don't need to see him involved in any QB battles for us. He's a clipboard holder at best in this league.
Here is what a large percentage of EJ believers are still thinking: "it was the offensive line's fault, it's Marrone/Hackett's fault", etc etc ... and "if the Bills had just polished him with more care, he'd be a real gem - we screwed him up". This is nonsense. A turd is a turd, no matter how you polish it.
I reject this ideology based on what he has shown on the field, culminating with that abysmal Houston game, after which a WR mutiny was about to become a real issue for the entire team.
Cut bait. EJ is not capable of anything more than clipboard holding.
Having all of the physical tools and positive attitude in the world does not guarantee that you will eventually ripen as a bona-fide NFL QB. See Johnson, Rob. EJ is hesitant to fire a football into a receiver - he never puts his body into the throw. His inaccuracy & the abnormal number of "floated" balls indicate indecision and a lack of conviction on what he is seeing.
What Winston did once he took over at Florida State only serves as proof that EJ is not a "franchise" quarterback, whatever that means.
Edited by HankBulloughMellencamp

Yet there are fans here who are perfectly fine with this direction because that's what Rex Ryan wants. This franchise is a complete joke if they cut Manuel for McCown.

I think it would be a nearly incomprehensible move. Something we don't know would have to come out to explain it.

There doesn't seem any rational reason not to give EJ a chance to compete with the new regime.

I personally don't see any available free agent who is clearly likely to be better. Even if there were, wouldn't he make a reasonably priced back-up?

Of course, this would please the massive number of smug individuals who enjoy throwing contempt upon EJ and those who haven't already written him off.

New administration brings in their own guys. It stands a decent chance of happening.

I wouldn't doubt that his camp leaked it to eliminate his trade value and allow him to pick the future team instead of the Bills.

That being said, you'd hope the Bills have a plan because I'm not sure Jeff Tuel is an acceptable answer to the backup QB question. I think the only reason McCown is talking to the Bills because they've told him he'll start here.

Well it won't be Mariotta or Winston. Those are the next QBs off the board and they would most likely have to move up at least within the second round to get the one they want. Picking a new QB and trading up to get him = big things. Note I didn't say the right thing.

I just don't see those players as qualifying for "big thing." Going by your criteria, I would include Grayson as a possibility.

i posted in the other thread the additional question about not learning our lesson cutting TJax early. what if mccown looks terrible or tears an ACL? even if we sign someone else, why cut ej even a day before final cut downs, unless you think a labor day street free agent would be a better week 1 option?

Yep. I had hoped our FO had moved on from the stupidity of cutting Fitzpatrick and TJax early in camp in favor of "German Word for Made of Glass" Kolb and 2 rookies.

While I don't know anyone who thought Fitz was a long-term starting QB, I think an argument could have been made that the Bills would have been better off with Fitz at QB the last 2 years than starting Thad Lewis and "slide on 3rd down" KO.

New administration brings in their own guys. It stands a decent chance of happening.

I wouldn't doubt that his camp leaked it to eliminate his trade value and allow him to pick the future team instead of the Bills.

That being said, you'd hope the Bills have a plan because I'm not sure Jeff Tuel is an acceptable answer to the backup QB question. I think the only reason McCown is talking to the Bills because they've told him he'll start here.

Really? He's awful, apart from a short, charmed time in Chicago.

OBD should offer him a chance to compete and nothing more.

Personally, I would not sign him.

Edited by Dr. Who

To what end though? Why cut EJ? At worst, he's a solid backup, and his contract isn't anything to worry over from a salary cap perspective. I'm certainly not doubting Leroi (pbuh) but it doesn't make sense.

Actually, at worst he is a bad starter or bad backup that ruins whatever good might be happening with the rest of the team. Just wanted to clarify what 'worst' means.

It certainly doesn't make financial sense, but if the coaching staff feels that there is little chance of EJ winning the starting job in camp, then there is little reason to keep him (and based on last year's camp, EJ doesn't have a chance in hell). We aren't auditioning for the backup position.

The ironic thing is that if EJ was picked in the 3rd round, this wouldn't even be an issue. But because he was overdrafted, fans have deluded themselves into thinking there's a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow -- we just have to be patient. "It's Marrone's fault," "It's Hackett's fault," "You can't judge a QB after 14 games," are all prime examples of the wishful thinking that's spouted ad nauseam.

I would be surprised if he is cut, but I would understand.

Couldn't have put it any better myself.

Isn't there an "Imo" at the end of Leroi's post?

There is, which makes this not a "rumor", but an "opinion". I know Leroi came through on one prediction, does that mean everything he says is gospel and deserves a thread? Not IMO...

If the intention to cut EJ is true it tells me two things:

1. They are convinced he doesn't have what it takes to be a quality NFL QB.
  2. They don't want to taint the development of their next QB with an EJ drama.

What is an EJ drama? I was for his benching, but EJ's been pretty classy about that. I'm not sure what you're referring to when you say EJ drama. If you mean the drama from Marrone going off, then that's far from anything on EJ

I think it would be a nearly incomprehensible move. Something we don't know would have to come out to explain it.

There doesn't seem any rational reason not to give EJ a chance to compete with the new regime.

I personally don't see any available free agent who is clearly likely to be better. Even if there were, wouldn't he make a reasonably priced back-up?

Of course, this would please the massive number of smug individuals who enjoy throwing contempt upon EJ and those who haven't already written him off.

I'm of the opinion that EJ Manuel did enough to show that he deserves a shot to win the job. But to cut him in favor of a Josh McCown or Jake Locker is shear stupidity. McCown is a proven "backup QB only" and Locker is always hurt and when he wasn't hurt he didn't establish himself as a better QB than Manuel.

I really don't understand the Manuel hatred. It's as if McCown and Locker are great additions because they aren't named EJ Manuel. There are no great options, but why eliminate an option? That's lunacy.

If he was a 3rd round pick we'd be plesently surprised with what he's shown so far, and optimistic about his future development.

Not sure about that. Edwards was a 3rd round pick, showed much more promise through his first 14 games or so yet people were not necessarily sold on him being the franchise QB.