RUMOR: EJ Manuel Likely To Be Cut

negativo

I think this bombshell deserves its own thread. Leroi has proven to be a reliable inside source on this board, so it's worth taking seriously.

We are desperate to find an alternative to EJ.

We feel McCown is an upgrade to Orton.

Roman and him are good friends. Look for this to be completed tomorrow AM, also look for EJ to be cut two days after FA opens.

Imo

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/176133-josh-mccown-anybody-update-talking-contract-22615/?p=3470894

Edited by negativo

• Replies 461
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like inside sources and they're fun. But why would you leak this and kill any potential trade value if you really are ready to move on from EJ?

Straight dumb sauce.

If they're looking to cut him, why would they care about trade value? Clearly, he has none.

To what end though? Why cut EJ? At worst, he's a solid backup, and his contract isn't anything to worry over from a salary cap perspective. I'm certainly not doubting Leroi (pbuh) but it doesn't make sense.

i posted in the other thread the additional question about not learning our lesson cutting TJax early. what if mccown looks terrible or tears an ACL? even if we sign someone else, why cut ej even a day before final cut downs, unless you think a labor day street free agent would be a better week 1 option?

My logical thought is:

McCown is the only viable QB we can sign right now. He's got a working relationship with both Roman & Kromer

There's a QB in FA they've evaluated to be better than EJ (Locker?, Bradford if released?). It's a lot easier to convince said FA target to come in if he's only battling with a career backup like McCown and a late round flier than if he's going to be in competition with the guy the GM took in the first round not even 2 years ago.

If they're looking to cut him, why would they care about trade value? Clearly, he has none.

Then, they are stupid. And what has Ryan shown about his ability to know good QB play?

If the intention to cut EJ is true it tells me two things:

1. They are convinced he doesn't have what it takes to be a quality NFL QB.
  2. They don't want to taint the development of their next QB with an EJ drama.

EJ was probably like the best teammate in the world after that sackless scrub replaced him.

i posted in the other thread the additional question about not learning our lesson cutting TJax early. what if mccown looks terrible or tears an ACL? even if we sign someone else, why cut ej even a day before final cut downs, unless you think a labor day street free agent would be a better week 1 option?

I just can't believe the Bills would be this stupid. I just can't.

If the intention to cut EJ is true it tells me two things:

• They are convinced he doesn't have what it takes to be a quality NFL QB.
  • They don't want to taint the development of their next QB with an EJ drama.
Why do teams get so worried about this? Could you imagine any franchise QB worried about competition? Was Aaron Rodgers hurt when GB drafted Brian Brohm? Was Brees hurt when SD drafted Rivers?

Then, they are stupid. And what has Ryan shown about his ability to know good QB play?

EJ was probably like the best teammate in the world after that sackless scrub replaced him.

Yup. EJ could not have been more professional about the whole thing, and by all accounts continued to work hard in practice and improve. This doesn't make sense. If we were in training camp and EJ was getting out played by McCown, Tuel, and QB#4 to be named, I'd get it, but there is nothing to gain by doing it now, and any 12th dimensional chess to try to explain it is stupid.

I always thought that Leroi was a !@#$ who was making actual football decision (eg. Rex or even Whaley himself). I guess this proves that theory wrong. Cutting EJ makes extremely little sense (unless he's done something to really piss off the FO or we are bringing in a really big fish at QB).