NEW HEAD COACH: Rex Ryan! It's Official!

KDIGGZ

• Replies 883
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Highest quality coach since Marv Levy.

Levy was an also-ran when hired. The only big name coach the Bills ever hired before today was Chuck Knox.

I hated Rex as the Jets coach. I hope I grow to love him with the Bills. He is Mr. Charm so the fans will love him...especially if he wins.

Levy was an also-ran when hired. The only big name coach the Bills ever hired before today was Chuck Knox.

I hated Rex as the Jets coach. I hope I grow to love him with the Bills. He is Mr. Charm so the fans will love him...especially if he wins.

Belichick was an also ran.

My thoughts on the news

I am not convinced he was the best selection, I will support the team, but I am not sold on him having witnessed his noise during his time here in the New York area. I hope I am wrong.

I think he was the best HC candidate on the market and think he is the opposite of Marrone....

CBF

It seems like the vast majority of posters on TBD are loving the selection of Rex Ryan as new head coach. This is obviously some type of mass delusion! He is a charismatic loser to be sure who replaces a non-charismatic loser. Is that what you call an upgrade?

Wow. I give up trying to understand the world when black is white and day is night. I guess you see what you want to see.

The next move to seal the deal: Whaley trades a 1st round pick in 2016 for Jay Cutler!!! The final straw!

Edited by Billsguy

It seems like the vast majority of posters on TBD are loving the selection of Rex Ryan as new head coach. This is obviously some type of mass delusion! He is a charismatic loser to be sure who replaces a non-charismatic loser. Is that what you call an upgrade?

Wow. I give up trying to understand the world when black is white and day is night. I guess you see what you want to see.

Who did you want instead who was on the interview list?

With the 2nd interview taking place at Pegula's house this past Saturday afternoon, I wonder how much time Terry, Doug, and Rex spent watching the Patriots game and talking about how they plan to beat them twice a year?

He has more rings as a coordinator, and more playoff wins as a HC, than anyone involved with the Bills the past decade or so.

The next move to seal the deal: Whaley trades a 1st round pick in 2016 for Jay Cutler!!! The final straw!

Ask the wizard for a brain.

Not for nothing, everything you just wrote is your own commentary on how you view the situation. It is not fact, but opinion, essentially you seeing what you want to see as well.

Interesting that most have commented that, love him or hate him, Rex makes the Bills more relevant on a national stage. Lo and behold, ESPN sends Michele Steele to Buffalo to cover the presser and it is being held in the fieldhouse to accommodate what I am sure will be a large national press contingent. Hopefully the wins will follow but we should all have some fun with this as long as it lasts.

Thoughts on Rex -

- In a lot of ways, he is the best possible candidate for the Bills. I'm not saying he's the perfect candidate, but given where the Bills are at - I think he is the best head coach that the Bills could have hired.

- This is a franchise that needs a jolt. It needs someone to come in and make the franchise believe, from the players on down. Someone who shares the same chip on his shoulder that the fanbase and players have. Rex will do that.

- A lot of people are comparing the current state of the Bills to the Jets. Which is nuts. The Bills have a much more talented roster.

- Schwartz is a great coach who had a good year - but lets not over credit him. The Bills defense is stacked. It would take a pretty bad coach to come in and blow it with the Bills defense. If he goes - I won't lose sleep. Greg Roman is the more important hire.

Anyways - i think this is a big moment for the Bills. Its the first time that they have actually decided to pony up for a head coach in sometime.

Only in Buffalo do you get pumped for a coach we kicked butt on. He was the HEAD COACH for the Jets . The team he built or destroyed. He was a big part of them going bad. I really hope it works ,but I have my doubts.

You should go read the Grant Land article in the other thread and then ask yourself if Rex destroyed the team.

Thoughts on Rex -

- In a lot of ways, he is the best possible candidate for the Bills. I'm not saying he's the perfect candidate, but given where the Bills are at - I think he is the best head coach that the Bills could have hired.

- This is a franchise that needs a jolt. It needs someone to come in and make the franchise believe, from the players on down. Someone who shares the same chip on his shoulder that the fanbase and players have. Rex will do that.

- A lot of people are comparing the current state of the Bills to the Jets. Which is nuts. The Bills have a much more talented roster.

- Schwartz is a great coach who had a good year - but lets not over credit him. The Bills defense is stacked. It would take a pretty bad coach to come in and blow it with the Bills defense. If he goes - I won't lose sleep. Greg Roman is the more important hire.

Anyways - i think this is a big moment for the Bills. Its the first time that they have actually decided to pony up for a head coach in sometime.

:thumbsup:

Way to step up and take the bill by the horns terry and Doug. This is a big time move. Get excited. Rex is a football head coach. Everyone else, minus shanny hasn't proven they can be the head coach of a championship contender. Rex led an average jets team to the afc championship in a row. He's proven. He's passionate. He's was the best head coach on the market. And Terry and Doug sealed the deal. Well done gentlemen. I think he's gonna be our coach until he decides to retire

Interesting that most have commented that, love him or hate him, Rex makes the Bills more relevant on a national stage. Lo and behold, ESPN sends Michele Steele to Buffalo to cover the presser and it is being held in the fieldhouse to accommodate what I am sure will be a large national press contingent. Hopefully the wins will follow but we should all have some fun with this as long as it lasts.

Who cares! Buffalo fans have such a pathetic self-image that they are impressed if Sports Illustrated sends a reporter. It's laughable. So Rex commands media attention. It has nothing to do with his ability as a head coach, which I for one am totally not convinced of.

Way to step up and take the bill by the horns terry and Doug. This is a big time move. Get excited. Rex is a football head coach. Everyone else, minus shanny hasn't proven they can be the head coach of a championship contender. Rex led an average jets team to the afc championship in a row. He's proven. He's passionate. He's was the best head coach on the market. And Terry and Doug sealed the deal. Well done gentlemen. I think he's gonna be our coach until he decides to retire

He also knows how to handle the Pats*

I do think you need to factor in the far stronger CB play and talent level this season. Gilmore was playing one-armed or not at all last season, and they didn't have Corey Graham.

They had better depth & Spikes/Graham, but to me the defense was better because of scheme. Pettine was more of a risk taker & this unit had enough talent to get the job done without a bunch of exotic blitzes. I'll take the safe approach (with this talent) every day of the week.

My thoughts on the news

I am not convinced he was the best selection, I will support the team, but I am not sold on him having witnessed his noise during his time here in the New York area. I hope I am wrong.

It's gonna take some getting used to, isn't it?

Thoughts on Rex -

In spite of what Pettine did, his bills defense was still ranked 28th in the league against the Run. Schwartz came in and fixed that. Don't underestimate his influence on this defense.

swagger

primetime games

things are looking up.

just one big nut to crack....an upgrade at qb.

Primetime games are only good if the team deserves them--not just because they have a celebrity coach. Primetime games mean noting in the Win column.

Primetime games are only good if the team deserves them--not just because they have a celebrity coach. Primetime games mean noting in the Win column.

Did Rex Ryan bully you in grade school or something? You are on a MISSION here man!

I've seen quite a few mixed reaction regarding this choice. But honestly, I don't see it as all bad considering the choices. What? they could have went with some unknown quantity and just see how it went? He at least has HC experience, no he's not the most offensive minded choice out there... but when you think about it, if we would have grabbed an offensive minded candidate and kept Schwartz in another year after another season with a top defense someone would be looking at him for a HC position and he would be gone. We're then back to square one again. At least with this choice there is a proven defensive mind running the show and there can be some consistency. It's not like this style of defense is completely foreign, year before last we played a similar style.

The reasoning why I can see why Rex would choose to come to Buffalo... First part, Ego, he still gets his shot to try and prove himself against the Patriots twice a year and now he gets two shots a season to beat up on the team who fired him. He's a defense guy and he was just handed a bunch of new toys to play with. A top ranked defense stacked with talent. No, he's not the offensive minded coach that some were hoping for around here, but it's not as if our offense is totally devoid of talent. With the choice of Roman as OC, they lean towards a run heavy, ball control, ground and pound offense. We have considerable talent at WR and look at the selection of RBs we have... Spiller, Jackson, Dixon, Brown... all considerable backs in their respect. If the focus in the offseason is to build up and fix the O line, then average QB play would be sufficient to easily get us into the playoffs. If we have someone under center that is competent, then who knows how far we can go.

I don't see the defense regressing under Ryan's scheme, can't get any worse than we had with Hackett as OC, Roman is a definite upgrade. This isn't the way I thought it would end up but I can see some big positives coming from this