Package Deal? (Mike & Kyle Shanahan)

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not crazy about Mike Shanahan as HC, for the reasons already stated by so many on this thread. As for Kyle - he did work some magic with RGIII in DC, and did a reasonable job in Cleveland this year.

But even if I loved both the Shanahii, I'd be against this idea. Why would anyone EVER hire a father and son team as GM/HC or HC/Coordinator? Why would you put yourself in a position where you have one decision-maker who will not fire his subordinate under any circumstances?

You wouldn't, and you shouldn't. It's a terrible position in which to put your organization. If you want a Shanahan, hire Kyle - but don't put Mike in a position where to get rid of Kyle, you have to blow up the whole team.

No. Snyder gave the reigns to Mikey. He made all the calls - including destroying the health of RG3 and keeping that clown Haslett. That was Mike's ship that ran into the iceberg.

Totally, he was a disaster and to blame everything on Snyder is just wrong. From a 2nd for an over the hill McNabb to ruining RG III, I don't get this idea.

He was also mediocre for several years in Denver before being canned, he has been nothing since the century changed. No wonder Sully thinks this is a great idea. This will put the Bills back a decade.

Totally, he was a disaster and to blame everything on Snyder is just wrong. From a 2nd for an over the hill McNabb to ruining RG III, I don't get this idea.

He was also mediocre for several years in Denver before being canned, he has been nothing since the century changed. No wonder Sully thinks this is a great idea. This will put the Bills back a decade.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/ShanMi0.htm

Not sure what the definition of mediocre is. But, a 91-69 record after Elway retired using Brian Griese and Jake Plummer as QBs.Multiple playoff appearances including a 13-3 record during the same period. People also forget so quickly that he went 11-5 and had Washington in the playoffs before RG3 got hurt. Is he flawless? No! Is he a mediocre football guy? NO WAY

Not sure what the definition of mediocre is. But, a 91-69 record after Elway retired using Brian Griese and Jake Plummer as QBs.Multiple playoff appearances including a 13-3 record during the same period. People also forget so quickly that he went 11-5 and had Washington in the playoffs before RG3 got hurt. Is he flawless? No! Is he a mediocre football guy? NO WAY

Why did RG3 get injured?

At this point, this entire situation has spun so far out of control it's not worth even trying to make sense of it. Again, I try to think rationally and what makes little sense to me, if true, is the Pegula's dragging Doug Whaley into the interview process to interview his potential replacement. Is that a good, professional look for a billionaire who just bought a team and is trying to change the outside perception and internal culture?

Just hire someone already. I'm all for being thorough but at this point without a single vacancy filled, I'd like to see them hire from all available candidates than play musical chairs and get stuck with whoever is left.

What do you think the rest of the NFL community is thinking.saying when they see his name attached to the Bills?

I think they think the Pegula Bills aren't the Ralph Wilson Bills. I think they think the Bills have talent and stability and an owner with deep pockets, as opposed to the Raiders who are on a year-to-year lease in Oakland with a cheap owner looking to move. Edited by PromoTheRobot

Agreed. People want to say that Elway was the reason he won 2 super bowls in Denver and that's nonsense. Elway was at the end of his career and not exactly in the best health. He was 11-22 with a pick and no td's in their victory over the Packers. He did throw for over 300yds against the Falcons but make no mistake it was Tyrell Davis and that dominate running game that won them 2 super bowls. Shanahan has made a career out of taking average running backs and turning them into 1,000 yard rushers, and in one case, a 2,000 yd rusher. Even when he was in Washington they led the league in rushing one season. So long as he leaves Shwartz and the defense alone and concentrates on fixing the offense I am on board.

not sure if it's being discussed in other threads, but word is these 2 are not a package deal. Kyle is doing his own thing. I was hoping the Bills interviewing Kyle was because his dad wanted him to be OC for him in Buffalo. then came the news that Mike might be coming in as GM and Kyle as HC and I almost lost my lunch. but now the word is Kyle is not a package deal with his dad which would mean the Bills really are looking at Kyle as HC which must mean after meeting with Mike he probably told him he wouldn't take the job but maybe his son would

not sure if it's being discussed in other threads, but word is these 2 are not a package deal. Kyle is doing his own thing. I was hoping the Bills interviewing Kyle was because his dad wanted him to be OC for him in Buffalo. then came the news that Mike might be coming in as GM and Kyle as HC and I almost lost my lunch. but now the word is Kyle is not a package deal with his dad which would mean the Bills really are looking at Kyle as HC which must mean after meeting with Mike he probably told him he wouldn't take the job but maybe his son would

Or maybe he simply requested that teams interview his son - he probably wants to get Kyle on the interview circuit.

I think that it's obvous that the Bills want to hire M. Shanahan as their HC (I know that Russ Brandon is lobbying very hard for it). He would likely bring his son on as the OC and keep Schwartz as the DC. I think that would be the best case scenario for the Bills at this point in time since they are strong on defense, but need a lot of help on offense.

This is the group that I think the Bills would like to employ for 2015 and beyond. They could sell it to the Shannies by telling them that Kyle would be in line for the HC job when his Dad decides to call it quits. Mike will obviously want more control than just being the HC. That's mostly because the Bills don't currently have a "starter ready" QB and he will want to hand pick the QB if he is to take on the job. Schwartz is under contract for the next two years. I don't see any reason why M. Shanny would want to replace him given what he and the Bills' defense accomplished last year.

The problem is that both San Fran and Oakland both want M. Shanny as their HC. Imagine that. So many people on this board think Shanny is washed up and would rather take a chance on a young coach who has never coached a game in his life as an NFL HC. That's just pure folly and that kind of thinking is why the Bills haven't made the playoffs in 14 fuggin' years!!!! The point is that the Bills will have to fight hard to acquire Shanny and rightfully so.

The difference this time around may be two fold:

1. The Pegulas have billions and may be willing to pay Shanny more than SF and Oakland.

2. The Pegulars recognize that an NFL Czar is needed to properly direct the team and they may be willing to make Shanny that guy (with possibly Whaley or someone else working as more of an admin. GM).

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I'd be happy with that even keeping EJ as QB.

Shanahan turns 6th round RB's (Terrell Davis, Alfred Morris) into superstars.

Imagine what the Bills could do with this defense if Spiller reached his full potential? Or even if they draft a different sort of RB Shanahan prefers?

With a top defense which they already have, AND a great running game, you don't need a great QB.

In fact - in that circumstance, EJ and his conservative tendencies might be even better than INT-prone Cutler.

Shanny is using leverage for more money and will take the Chicago job. I think Schwartz will be the guy when this is all said and done. JMHO

That could well be - but it only works up to a certain $ level. If the Pegula's feel strongly enough they can outbid almost anyone.

Edited by BobChalmers

I think that it's obvous that the Bills want to hire M. Shanahan as their HC (I know that Russ Brandon is lobbying very hard for it). He would likely bring his son on as the OC and keep Schwartz as the DC. I think that would be the best case scenario for the Bills at this point in time since they are strong on defense, but need a lot of help on offense.

This is the group that I think the Bills would like to employ for 2015 and beyond. They could sell it to the Shannies by telling them that Kyle would be in line for the HC job when his Dad decides to call it quits. Mike will obviously want more control than just being the HC. That's mostly because the Bills don't currently have a "starter ready" QB and he will want to hand pick the QB if he is to take on the job. Schwartz is under contract for the next two years. I don't see any reason why M. Shanny would want to replace him given what he and the Bills' defense accomplished last year.

The problem is that both San Fran and Oakland both want M. Shanny as their HC. Imagine that. So many people on this board think Shanny is washed up and would rather take a chance on a young coach who has never coached a game in his life as an NFL HC. That's just pure folly and that kind of thinking is why the Bills haven't made the playoffs in 14 fuggin' years!!!! The point is that the Bills will have to fight hard to acquire Shanny and rightfully so.

The difference this time around may be two fold:

1. The Pegulas have billions and may be willing to pay Shanny more than SF and Oakland.

2. The Pegulars recognize that an NFL Czar is needed to properly direct the team and they may be willing to make Shanny that guy (with possibly Whaley or someone else working as more of an admin. GM).

It'll be interesting to see what happens.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about? The Bills hiring bad coaches and bad GM picks has been the reason they haven't made the playoffs in over 15 years.

No need to make crap up so you can lobby for some guy you want HC.

Edited by Beef Jerky