Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

I was never impressed by Marrone. Although his record this year was an improvement the team failed when push came to shove. The loss against the Raiders being a prime example. He seemed out of his depth and a bit of a blowhard.

Finding a replacement shouldn't be too difficult. Finding a QB that will make the next coach successful may prove to be problematic.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any new HC will get a 4 year deal from the Pegulas. I do not blame Marrone for asking for a similar commitment as well. But, from what I have seen, I think the Bills can do better than him and probably will. The opt out clause made sense given the reality of the time the cantract was made. The lack of some type of offset is the part that is more troubling. It actually made it a financial slam dunk to exercise it.

I liked Gailey's style. I would love for him to be the one to work with EJ. Gailey had been making chicken salad his whole career and, mixing metphors, giving him the job of making "the ball of clay" into something special is intriging to me. Too bad Nix never gave him a young talent to develop and Chan couldn't get the DC choices right.

Great head coaches are often jerks. Trouble is, why suffer having a jerk at the position without evidence of greatness?

okay...now i understand.

He was not very involved there though right? He was a QC coach if i recall correctly.

Like i said, just a gut feeling...be interesting to see if he gets hired by Marone(if Marone gets a job)...

I assume it was pretty low level stuff he did, but was the last time they were separated (and kinda sounds like what they were selling last year with the uptempo).

Really, I have no concept of hacketts identity right now though. He could be good or a train wreck

The best thing about yesterday to me is that it sure does appear Russ Brandon is truly out of the loop now.

We went from:

Russ saying no eminent changes after the Pats game

then

Marrone leaving with the statement issued by Pegula

and

no Russ to be seen or heard anywhere.

I picked up on that too. Could be a ploy by he and the Bills, but methinks that Russ may be headed down the river.

He's going to be meeting with 'the Bob's' soon enough.

Edited by Captain_Quint

The best thing about yesterday to me is that it sure does appear Russ Brandon is truly out of the loop now.

We went from:

Russ saying no eminent changes after the Pats game

then

Marrone leaving with the statement issued by Pegula

and

no Russ to be seen or heard anywhere.

Because Pegula is the President and owner, those statements come from him, not the person in Russ' role. Can't understand why people can't understand the structure and hierarchy of this team. Pegula is the de facto football czar as President. Brandon runs the business side, Whaley the football side. So when a coach leaves, it's the president in this case who makes the statement. And if they get a pres of football ops, maybe it changes. But trying to say Brandon is out of the loop because you don't like the guy doesn't make it reality. I've said it before in other posts, this guy has polish the worst turd in the NFL for 15 years and kept the stadium full with garbage after garbage on the field while being micromanaged by the former owner.

People should really be angry at whoever negotiated Marrone's contract. The opt out provision all but guaranteed that Marrone would opt out (taking an extra, unearned year's pay with him) if he performed well. The only way he would not opt out is if he sucked so badly that he was likely to get fired anyway. Given the high likelihood of an ownership change, it is criminal misfeasance to have included such a provision. And why the hell should Marrone get to opt out due to an ownership change anyway? Was he so wedded to WNY? Did he have a close relationship with Ralph? Doubtful on both counts. Almost looks like an inside job, to me.

I'm not. Given Ralph's situation, what self-respecting coach would sign on without this type of guarantee? Ralph could have died in 2013 and the new owner flushed the entire front office or brought in a management group that Marrone didn't like or was too restricting. So many unknowns almost 2 years ago I feel something like this contract had to be offered to get a top candidate.

the HOF has already made it clear that Polian , coming in as a "contributor" is not subject to the 5 year reset rule.

Yes, but I've read multiple reports that state that HOF voters might be reluctant to vote him in if he had an active front office role - that's why the plan was to hold the announcement until after the vote on the 31st.

People should really be angry at whoever negotiated Marrone's contract. The opt out provision all but guaranteed that Marrone would opt out (taking an extra, unearned year's pay with him) if he performed well. The only way he would not opt out is if he sucked so badly that he was likely to get fired anyway. Given the high likelihood of an ownership change, it is criminal misfeasance to have included such a provision. And why the hell should Marrone get to opt out due to an ownership change anyway? Was he so wedded to WNY? Did he have a close relationship with Ralph? Doubtful on both counts. Almost looks like an inside job, to me.

I've seen many others post similar thoughts on the contract, but I've seen the same clause executed before (Browns). In fact, I think the Browns GM and President got the remainder of their contracts paid out, not just one year. It would make sense that it is standard practice and I can understand legitimate reasons coaches and GMs would want it. New owners often want their own people running the show and coaches don't to wind up in limbo or working for someone they'd otherwise not want to work for. From the owner's perspective, why would they really care if such a clause existed? They won't be around if it is ever executed anyway. That's the reason for the existence of the clause, not an excuse for Marrone executing it. F him for that.

Edited by BarleyNY

He's from New York. That job is open. He and Rex have same agent. They quickly interviewed a Rooney Rule candidate already. I think he got assurances about that job. And he's got a lot of offensive staff at his disposal with the Bears offensive staff being let go and him having ties to them. They can potentially hire him today.

They also have the structure he wants in that the coach and GM in NY both report to the owner and that's how Woody wants it.

Has it been confirmed that Marrone gets paid for next season...even though HE CHOSE to leave via an opt-out clause? Who the hell negotiated that contract?

Per a source with knowledge of the situation, the Bills believed that the term was critical to persuading Marrone to choose the Bills over the Browns, who offered the former Syracuse coach a higher salary than Buffalo did. Ultimately, CEO Russ Brandon and CFO Jeff Littmann approved the term in order to get the deal done.

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 12m12 minutes ago

Bills needed opt-out clause to persuade Marrone not to choose Cleveland in 2013 http://wp.me/p14QSB-9FNr

Has it been confirmed that Marrone gets paid for next season...even though HE CHOSE to leave via an opt-out clause? Who the hell negotiated that contract?

Someone that really wanted him and understood what a road block our ownership situation was for any candidate?

I'm not. Given Ralph's situation, what self-respecting coach would sign on without this type of guarantee? Ralph could have died in 2013 and the new owner flushed the entire front office or brought in a management group that Marrone didn't like or was too restricting. So many unknowns almost 2 years ago I feel something like this contract had to be offered to get a top candidate.

Maybe, but It is the financial incentive to opt out that is crazy. It all but guaranteed an opt out in the event the coach had any kind of success.

I think it was classy of Marrone to send out that thank you note to the fans of Buffalo. I know lots of players retiring or leaving a place do it but it was still classy.................oh, wait.

He had a lot of defenders here but I think he goes down as one of our most hated eventually

Because Pegula is the President and owner, those statements come from him, not the person in Russ' role. Can't understand why people can't understand the structure and hierarchy of this team. Pegula is the de facto football czar as President. Brandon runs the business side, Whaley the football side. So when a coach leaves, it's the president in this case who makes the statement. And if they get a pres of football ops, maybe it changes. But trying to say Brandon is out of the loop because you don't like the guy doesn't make it reality. I've said it before in other posts, this guy has polish the worst turd in the NFL for 15 years and kept the stadium full with garbage after garbage on the field while being micromanaged by the former owner.

Got a point there. Don't hate Marrone. Think he made a good business decision. Think he was a typical ego maniacal/ chip on his shoulder type. Everything seemed to be a personal slight towards him: Media, GM, Owner, Players(Woods, Urbik, Williams) Always an undertone of me against the world. If he does end up in NY, that should be fun to watch. Especially if he had some short term success followed by a rough patch:) Don't want Reich. Don't want Ryan. Don't know who's out there that I do want. If Polian is coming, I hope he already has his hands in the mix and is helping with the choice. The point about those Levy/Polian era teams is they(FO) worked together as a team with the coaches to create a true TEAM.

Russ needs to know his role then and STFU (ie, after the Pats game).

He had a lot of defenders here but I think he goes down as one of our most hated eventually

i think expecting Marone to do anything with a hint of class is barking at the moon.

I am on record as not wanting Lynch here cause i think he is a bad human being...and i dont want to root for him.

I also dislike Marone outside of football..dont want to root for him either