Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

I like these points, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around #2. Does he or anyone on the board here really think we're going to nab or franchise QB at 19? The media has made a big stink about this being a reason, but any QBs worth a first rounder will be long gone by the time we were going to pick.

Trade bait perhaps. It may not have worked out, but there is certainly no way not having a first round pick helps your situation.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Works for everyone. If I were Pegula I would wonder why the hell I have this contractual obligation to pay $4 to Doug still...and why his contract was structured so that, if he had the opportunity to get another HC job, staying in Buffalo was effectively working for free.

Surely, whoever wrote up that contract now has a noose around his neck.

You wouldn't wonder about it, because you knew about it when you bought the team. I'm sure it came up in due diligence. Pegula knew the risk.

wonder he would though ! and i imagine he would get to the bottom of the negotiations details. And who signed off. Not a bad thing but Pegula surely would want to peel that deal back , if he was evaluating the FO staff

Santa Clara?

Yes Santa Clara is a suburb of San Jose. you can walk from Santa Clara to San Jose.

It has nothing to do with San Francisco.

In fact you can walk across a mall from Santa Clara to San Jose proper.

The stadium is in the San Jose area.

It's like being confused with calling Orchard Park, Buffalo.

I like these points, but I have a hard time wrapping my head around #2. Does he or anyone on the board here really think we were going to nab our franchise QB at 19? The media has made a big stink about this being a reason, but any QBs worth a first rounder will be long gone by the time we were going to pick.

think leverage. and maybe this year was the year to make the trade up. Or down really .

its an opportunity lost. calculated i hope but still..

what if Marrone knew he would have to fire hs friend Hackett? Would he want to stay here still? Think "Mularkey syndrome."

He gets his $4 mil, he doesn't have to fire Hackett, and he knows he will land on his feet.

Will he bring Hackett to his new job? As QB coach, or some other lesser position perhaps? I think it will be interesting to see what happens.

Trade bait perhaps. It may not have worked out, but there is certainly no way not having a first round pick helps your situation.

And assuming we want Mariota or Winston, how much of our future would we mortgage to get to 1 or 2?

On top of that, Tampa, and Tennessee are picks 1 and 2. There is virtually no way either of them trade that pick.

You are right, not having a first round pick doesn't help our situation in any way. You are forgetting the other half of the deal though. Sammy Watkins came with it, and that does help us.

On topic, Jets fans seem verrrry anxious to get their hands on Marrone. Claiming the best coach available. Are we missing something?

Edited by What a Tuel

agent Jimmy Sexton, who also represents Rex Ryan and a litany of other coaches, is too seasoned and savvy to let any client make such a seismic decision to quit his job (even though he received a guaranteed $4 million with no offset language) unless he had a strong sense that there was another one lined up.

The sequence of events on Sunday makes it difficult to believe that the Jets didn’t have prior discussions with the Marrone camp. The feeling in league circles is that Casserly has been infatuated with Marrone for years. He’s calling the shots.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/mehta-consultants-pushing-doug-marrone-jets-article-1.2062892

They’ll (the Jets)be doing a search again in two years,” one front office executive said. “I don’t think Marrone’s going to win there. He’s never won anywhere he’s been a head coach.” That says it all, a quote from NFL front office executive

beautiful......hopefully he talks orton out of retirement too.