Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reich has labored for several years as a positional coach. You have to ask yourself why? He isn't a young up & comer, he's a guy who's been coaching for many years. Why did it take him so long to get an OC gig? Was it wrong place wrong time? Was it that he didn't show an aptitude for it? Was it something else? We can't answer those questions. What each of us can answer is whether one season as the SD OC is enough for the Bills to gamble on. For me the answer is no.

Reich has 6 seasons coaching prior to becoming an OC. That doesn't strike me as a particularly lengthy amount of time working his way up the ranks. I'm not sold on him as a real candidate given the results this year and the lack of coordinator experience so far, but his 6 years as a positional coach don't scare me.

It was a business decision because he was going to be out of a job next year. Now he can get a new 3-4 year deal plus the $4m. In that respect he was smart.

But he didn't think of it in those terms at all.

I am of the exact opposite opinion. What you described is precisely what my thought process would have been. Do you think it was emotional for him regarding Whaley or something else?

I am of the exact opposite opinion. What you described is precisely what my thought process would have been. Do you think it was emotional for him regarding Whaley or something else?

No, I meant he wasn't thinking of those terms at all because he has total faith in himself. He wouldn't consider the fact, like I do, that he would be out of a job in a year. I'm sure that he thinks of himself as a great coach. So the thought process of this is a smart move for me because I will be out of a job next year never occurred to him. He did it for different reasons. He did it because he could get a new 3-4 year contract plus the 4m and not have to worry about next year. next year with a new team will be the honeymoon year.

If he was a good coach, he would have got a monster contract from Pegula next year.

No, I meant he wasn't thinking of those terms at all because he has total faith in himself. He wouldn't consider the fact, like I do, that he would be out of a job in a year. I'm sure that he thinks of himself as a great coach. So the thought process of this is a smart move for me because I will be out of a job next year never occurred to him. He did it for different reasons. He did it because he could get a new 3-4 year contract plus the 4m and not have to worry about next year. next year with a new team will be the honeymoon year.

If he was a good coach, he would have got a monster contract from Pegula next year.

Oh OK I gotcha.

Almost. He does NOT have total faith in himself. He has a huge ego but very little self-esteem. To me this maneuver mirrors his style of game management. He declined to bet on himself. As you said, if he felt he was a good coach, he could bet on himself and get paid next offseason. But instead, he punted. Just like he never bet on his players during the games - he'd take the safe route to avoid failure, rather than the aggressive route designed to seize success.

Almost. He does NOT have total faith in himself. He has a huge ego but very little self-esteem. To me this maneuver mirrors his style of game management. He declined to bet on himself. As you said, if he felt he was a good coach, he could bet on himself and get paid next offseason. But instead, he punted. Just like he never bet on his players during the games - he'd take the safe route to avoid failure, rather than the aggressive route designed to seize success.

I would call what he did the smart bet. No QB, no first rounder, lots of non-QB needs. Punt for a 3-4 year deal plus double dipping on Pegulas dime to the tune of $4 million, or gamble for maybe a contract extension with the Bills. Sometimes it is the smart move to punt.

Edited by CodeMonkey

I can't imagine Marrone didn't take his buy out, and the increased interest in him from other teams, into consideration. We don't know this, either way, of course. But to not consider that would be moronic, IMO.

I can't imagine Marrone didn't take his buy out, and the increased interest in him from other teams, into consideration. We don't know this, either way, of course. But to not consider that would be moronic, IMO.

More like Marroneic

Perhaps. I see him differently. I see him as being totally arrogant and never stopping to think that he isn't a great coach. Maybe subliminally these actions are from lack of self-esteem. That's tough to say. I think he truly believes he's great and deserves to have more power because he's St Doug and right all the time, and if they aren't going to give it to me I'll quit and go somewhere else.

I think he's dead wrong and an arrogant ass, but I don't think he's the classic low self-esteem bully.

Oh I think he totally quit for that reason. I assume he believed that Pegula would cave to his demands but they didn't. he knew he would have other options and jobs so he left to go try to convince someone else he's Bill Parcells.

Perhaps. I see him differently. I see him as being totally arrogant and never stopping to think that he isn't a great coach. Maybe subliminally these actions are from lack of self-esteem. That's tough to say. I think he truly believes he's great and deserves to have more power because he's St Doug and right all the time, and if they aren't going to give it to me I'll quit and go somewhere else.

I think he's dead wrong and an arrogant ass, but I don't think he's the classic low self-esteem bully.

Oh I think he totally quit for that reason. I assume he believed that Pegula would cave to his demands but they didn't. he knew he would have other options and jobs so he left to go try to convince someone else he's Bill Parcells.

I thoroughly agree, and think the man is a total control freak. What an arrogant jackass to name himself St Doug. He holds grudges over players he doesn't like rather then putting the best player on the field.

Let him go back to NYC, and we will see how long he lasts there with Nathaniel Hackett as his OC.

The best thing about yesterday to me is that it sure does appear Russ Brandon is truly out of the loop now.

We went from:

Russ saying no eminent changes after the Pats game

then

Marrone leaving with the statement issued by Pegula

and

no Russ to be seen or heard anywhere.

Polian confirms that Bills were working behind Brandon’s back

http://profootballta...-brandons-back/

Brandon now may be feeling like he was thrown into a wall, and then kicked in the groin. Maybe he should’ve have negotiated a $4 million opt-out clause, too.
:thumbsup:

or maybe just picked a better head coach.

That's the risk you run when you haven't worked with someone before, and why so much of the NFL is a closed-loop fraternity of "I know him" retreads.

Then again, Marrone's six years at the 'Cuse may have given him a Nepoleon (Ne-Polian!) complex...

Polian confirms that Bills were working behind Brandon’s back

http://profootballta...-brandons-back/

:thumbsup:

There is no confirmation that Brandon was not in the loop.

I wish we can just ban all Florio articles, he is a straight up lying sack of **** that completely fabricates stories to get clicks.

He has no shame. Do not ever believe a Florio article.

It occurs to me that Doug Marrone owes his reputation as a turnaround artist to one person: Dan Carpenter. Think about the clutch kicks that the guy made in the game against Detroit and other close games; that was the difference between a winning season and another losing season. Dan Carpenter saved Marrone's career (for now).

It occurs to me that Doug Marrone owes his reputation as a turnaround artist to one person: Dan Carpenter. Think about the clutch kicks that the guy made in the game against Detroit and other close games; that was the difference between a winning season and another losing season. Dan Carpenter saved Marrone's career (for now).

I'd say it was Schwartz who should get the biggest Thank You/Hand job from Marrone. Without Schwartz leading what was arguably the #1 defense in the league (taking into account they're pretty much top 5 in every important category), Marrone would've finished 6-10 this season, 7-9 at best.

1 word to describe Marrone on and off the field....GUTLESS!