Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the reaction from some of the players speaks volumes about st. Doug and how he was viewed by the team. As someone mentioned earlier, your two leaders up and quit with not a peep being said. So for that I say good riddance. I'd rather have leaders willing to stay and fight rather than whine about the potential unknown. Want an extension? It's simple. Win and get better. Scared of who will be in charge? That's normal. It's called being a man and dealing with it. Most of us will get a new boss in our lifetime and will be scared about what could happen. We don't up and quit because of it.

Don't let the door hit you Doug.

Russ needs to know his role then and STFU (ie, after the Pats game).

yup. zonabb's description sounds like springsteen's habit of not informing his band what song he's doing til he starts it (max weinberg said this recently in an npr interview). while springsteen's band is good enough to pull it off, i don't think brandon et al are up to sight reading.

Give me a break. If you think that game last week proved anything then you are seriously delusional. Marrone was so overmatched against Belichick that it was pathetic. Rex beat Belichick in a playoff game at Gillette Stadium.

Okay. Just saying we've played many meaningless season-ending games against the Pats and lost them all.

I have no problem with the opt out clause. It is the paying next seasons salary that is mind boggling.

Look at it this way...if Marrone was fired, like many wanted, he would be paid too.

Okay. Just saying we've played many meaningless season-ending games against the Pats and lost them all.

except that the previous games all meant something to NE. This one did not. And it showed. Edited by mannc

Look at it this way...if Marrone was fired, like many wanted, he would be paid too.

Understood, but he wasn't fired. HE QUIT! What "many wanted" is irrelevant.

Standard clause (I think) is less whatever his new gig gets him. Thanks to the former bean counter Marrone gets the money no matter what. Cool deal for him.

I was never a Marrone lover but I thought he did a better job than some here are willing to credit him for in getting the team playing hard every single game and the capitulations of the past disappeared. I am not distraught he is gone in terms of thinking "wow we lost a great coach" but I do feel it probably sets us back more next year than the stability of keeping the band together would, especially if we lost Schwartz as well.

He had also started to grow on me as a personality until this. But now he can rot for all I care.... all respect lost. Talked about the Buffalo Bills family on Sunday and then walked out on Wednesday. Take lil Nate with you and good riddance.

Actually, that's a good point. In fact, he would have been paid through 2016 if he was fired. Except there would probably be a set off of any pay he received in the interim.

yup. zonabb's description sounds like springsteen's habit of not informing his band what song he's doing til he starts it (max weinberg said this recently in an npr interview). while springsteen's band is good enough to pull it off, i don't think brandon et al are up to sight reading.

Lol.

One thing's for sure, yesterday was not a good day for Russ Brandon.

Happy New Year Russ, here's to you moving on to bigger and better things.

Isn't the incentive, the chance to go to a different team of his choosing and a larger contract?

If you recall Marrone was the first coach hired that year. Brandon wanted to get a coach early and not end up scraping like we did with Chan Gailey. The Bills were not an attractive job then.