Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

I thoroughly agree, and think the man is a total control freak. What an arrogant jackass to name himself St Doug. He holds grudges over players he doesn't like rather then putting the best player on the field.

Let him go back to NYC, and we will see how long he lasts there with Nathaniel Hackett as his OC.

He has several interview scheduled. His agent is doing a fantastic job of selling his client. I can't wait to see which team takes the bait. You have to assume any part of the package Doug demands will include bringing Hackett along. It might be the Jets.

Woody Johnson is being advised by Charley Casserly, someone I consider to be a failure as a GM with a series of failed drafts in Washington and Houston and a guy that carried his predessors work to a SB. But Charlie just loves Marrone. Go figure!

In a sadistic way I hope he does get the Jet job. It will be fun to watch a guy that had trouble with the Bills press corps explain his stupid in-game decision making to the NYC press. That along with seeing the Bills defense throw around Hacketts high school offense like a ragdoll 2 times a year. I can't think of anything better.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine Marrone didn't take his buy out, and the increased interest in him from other teams, into consideration. We don't know this, either way, of course. But to not consider that would be moronic, IMO.

Agreed...No way he walks without some serious indications he'll be sought after...That's what agents do after all...

The interesting thing to me will be how much they love him when they actually get a chance to meet him, really sit down and hear him speak, and consider everything he says vs. what he actually did in Buffalo...I would not be surprised at all if Marrone looks good from the outside looking in...I would be surprised if he still looks good after teams put him under the microscope...He's not going to be able to blame the Bills organization as a whole for the regression in the offense, running game, and o-line play during his tenure...That's on him...Not to mention his inability to develop a 1st round QB...And these teams would be absolute morons if they ignored those facts... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

Agreed...No way he walks without some serious indications he'll be sought after...That's what agents do after all...

The interesting thing to me will be how much they love him when they actually get a chance to meet him, really sit down and hear him speak, and consider everything he says vs. what he actually did in Buffalo...I would not be surprised at all if Marrone looks good from the outside looking in...I would be surprised if he still looks good after teams put him under the microscope...He's not going to be able to blame the Bills organization as a whole for the regression in the offense, running game, and o-line play during his tenure...That's on him...Not to mention his inability to develop a 1st round QB...And these teams would be absolute morons if they ignored those facts... B-)

Not if he spins it that it was a miracle that they got to 9 wins with the garbage players Whaley saddled him with on offense.

"Can you believe the guy drafted EJ Manuel and signed Kevin Kolb thinking they can win in the NFL?"

Not if he spins it that it was a miracle that they got to 9 wins with the garbage players Whaley saddled him with on offense.

"Can you believe the guy drafted EJ Manuel and signed Kevin Kolb thinking they can win in the NFL?"

There may even be some truth to this take. By the end of preseason, the narrative of "we're fine" turned into a fire drill and a quick hook for Manuel. A benching which still completely ticks off several posters.

There may even be some truth to this take. By the end of preseason, the narrative of "we're fine" turned into a fire drill and a quick hook for Manuel. A benching which still completely ticks off several posters.

But there is no denying the across-the-board regression of almost every player on offense (Marrone's "specialty"), while the reverse was happening on the other side of the ball.

Edited by eball

Apart from a few factions on this board, I do not detect a mass hate of Marrone. As I have stated earlier, I do not understand the hate at all. It is well and fine to question his decisions and his gameday calls, but he did nothing to my knowledge that justifies a hate of the man.

i dont think his legacy will be warm and fuzzy at all. he will go down as power hungry, arrogant, and ungrateful ultimately i think. plenty of guys that were essentially as successful (below .500 career here) and had less personality issues are not remembered fondly.

But there is no denying the across-the-board regression of almost every player on offense (Marrone's "specialty"), while the reverse was happening on the other side of the ball.

No disagreement. Heck, I think even Orton regressed—and he came in cold out of the freezer—in this offense as time went on. The more film teams had, the more weaknesses were routinely exploited.

i dont think his legacy will be warm and fuzzy at all. he will go down as power hungry, arrogant, and ungrateful ultimately i think. plenty of guys that were essentially as successful (below .500 career here) and had less personality issues are not remembered fondly.

Time will tell, ofcourse. But since my writing of that post, I found it odd that Marrone made no public statement about his departure and chose to do a (lame) mass text to the players he led for 2 years. Maybe my opinion is turning but not fully yet.

He used the opt out as leverage to get him and his staff extensions.

We know this included Hacket.

So glad the Pegula's said no

Time will tell, ofcourse. But since my writing of that post, I found it odd that Marrone made no public statement about his departure and chose to do a (lame) mass text to the players he led for 2 years. Maybe my opinion is turning but not fully yet.

It will be interesting to hear his comments during his next introductory PC for his next HC gig.

You know reporters are going to ask him what happened in Buffalo.

CBF

Edited by Canadian Bills Fan

It will be interesting to hear his comments during his next introductory PC for his next HC gig.

You know reporters are going to ask him what happened in Buffalo.

CBF

I think much before that, he will be asked about his conduct during the departure at his interviews. The NFL is a small group of businesses and you don't get to go far by being anything but cordial and courteous. Even if just in public, every coach and player needs to literally put on his game face at all times.

I think much before that, he will be asked about his conduct during the departure at his interviews. The NFL is a small group of businesses and you don't get to go far by being anything but cordial and courteous. Even if just in public, every coach and player needs to literally put on his game face at all times.

Ya but I dont think his answers will be made public.

They will be kept behind closed doors. Nothing is leaked about what people say during their NFL HC interviews

CBF

Wow.....

He has certainly aged since the time he got here.....

Screen-Shot-2014-10-20-at-3.47.30-PM.png

CBF

Stress Eater.

I never understand fat Head Coaches.

There is a freaking room full of Exercise Equipment down the hall, Watch Tape while on the Treadmill you lazy piece of ****.

Stress Eater.

There is a freaking room full of Exercise Equipment down the hall, Watch Tape while on the Treadmill you lazy piece of ****.

hahaha..I agree man. If anything exercise would probably stimulate his mind a bit more allowing him to think clearer. But heck, what do I know. The offense played much like he looks: fat and lethargic.

if you aren't happy, which maybe he wasn't, it kind of sucks the motivation to do anything out of a person, i don't care how much you make or how high profile a job you have.

Stress Eater.

if you aren't happy, which maybe he wasn't, it kind of sucks the motivation to do anything out of a person, i don't care how much you make or how high profile a job you have.

He is surrounded by athletes, trainers, and treadmills, if your arse can't find the motivation to get on one of the aforementioned treadmills in that environment and you are that unhappy then just end it now, well he kind of killed his career, so maybe you're on to something.

Edited by Why So Serious?

True...And I'm not saying there is not some truth to that either...But that spin would require almost complete ignorance of the truth on the other side of the table...Because even though I may not be able to prove it here I would be willing to bet just about anything that Marrone willfully signed off on both those moves...Not to mention all the good things Whaley did to get the roster to this point...

That negotiation strategy would however fall right in line with what I've been saying about Marrone all along...He sees the world as a place where he always has the answers and expects others to understand and trust he knows what he's doing, and that he's always right...He see's him self as a miracle worker...Reality though is quite different... B-)