Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

The $4 million opt-out clause doesn't bother me. Marrone was making around 3.5 to 4 million per year, which is pretty low. That extra money bumps it to about $6 million per season. That is the going rate for head coaches.

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Pegula is the President and owner, those statements come from him, not the person in Russ' role. Can't understand why people can't understand the structure and hierarchy of this team. Pegula is the de facto football czar as President. Brandon runs the business side, Whaley the football side. So when a coach leaves, it's the president in this case who makes the statement. And if they get a pres of football ops, maybe it changes. But trying to say Brandon is out of the loop because you don't like the guy doesn't make it reality. I've said it before in other posts, this guy has polish the worst turd in the NFL for 15 years and kept the stadium full with garbage after garbage on the field while being micromanaged by the former owner.

He's out of the loop because he's gone out of his way this year to vouch for Marrone, 'he changed the culture,' etc. and now he's got egg all over his face.

Apart from a few factions on this board, I do not detect a mass hate of Marrone. As I have stated earlier, I do not understand the hate at all. It is well and fine to question his decisions and his gameday calls, but he did nothing to my knowledge that justifies a hate of the man.

I agree with the "he did nothing" part.

To me this is a strange case in that everything that has happened makes sense.

Marrone getting the clause in the first place in light of the reality that new ownership would be likely

Marrone asking for an extension in advance of a new football Czar potentially being hired and freeing him up during the hiring season with an extra 5 million in the bank

Pegula for not extending and letting him walk.

Personally I think Marrone over played his hand as I can't see other teams rushing to sign him. I know the Jets are dumb but......I guess we wil see what happens.

I hate the guy, I'll admit it. I just really don't like his personality. I don't like people like him. He's passive aggressive, paranoid, stubborn and egotistical. Yes, I hate him. He's a crappy human. I realize it's an extreme opinion but it's how I feel. I felt that way before yesterday but yesterday confirmed it for me.

I hate the guy, I'll admit it. I just really don't like his personality. I don't like people like him. He's passive aggressive, paranoid, stubborn and egotistical. Yes, I hate him. He's a crappy human. I realize it's an extreme opinion but it's how I feel. I felt that way before yesterday but yesterday confirmed it for me.

At least you admit it. Most here won't but I think most that don't like him as a coach comes down to not liking his personality. The problem, that hatred biases any comments about him as a coach. Emotion doesn't make for clear rational thinking.

At least you admit it. Most here won't but I think most that don't like him as a coach comes down to not liking his personality. The problem, that hatred biases any comments about him as a coach. Emotion doesn't make for clear rational thinking.

I think he's a decent coach. Not a great one but decent. But I just think he's a dick.

To me this is a strange case in that everything that has happened makes sense.

Marrone getting the clause in the first place in light of the reality that new ownership would be likely

Marrone asking for an extension in advance of a new football Czar potentially being hired and freeing him up during the hiring season with an extra 5 million in the bank

Pegula for not extending and letting him walk.

Personally I think Marrone over played his hand as I can't see other teams rushing to sign him. I know the Jets are dumb but......I guess we wil see what happens.

I'd take 4 Million to go get a job in Chicago/San Jose/Atlanta/ or NYC no offense but from a purely selfish perspective Marrone's move is in his undoubtedly best short term interest.

However Long term, he is sub .500 HC that quit on his team. Ask Mullarkey how that worked out for him.

Based on what? A few media snippets and him making the best business decision for him and his family? What a monster.

Edited by FireChan

I'd take 4 Million to go get a job in Chicago/San Jose/Atlanta/ or NYC no offense but from a purely selfish perspective Marrone's move is in his undoubtedly best short term interest.

However Long term, he is sub .500 HC that quit on his team. Ask Mullarkey how that worked out for him.

San Jose?

Most hate him because he is supposed to be an "innovative" offensive mind and an O-Line guru and the offense was as diverse as Techmo Bowl (8 plays and a punt) and his O-Line was putrid.

Almost all NFL coaches are douche bag, you don't become an NFL coach by being a fun carefree spirit.

Hating the personality of the next Buffalo Bills coach will be the most logical outcome.

I don't care about their personality Just win baby!

San Jose?

The 49ers play in San Jose.

Most hate him because he is supposed to be an "innovative" offensive mind and an O-Line guru and the offense was as diverse as Techmo Bowl (8 plays and a punt) and his O-Line was putrid.

Almost all NFL coaches are douche bag, you don't become an NFL coach by being a fun carefree spirit.

Hating the personality of the next Buffalo Bills coach will be the most logical outcome.

I don't care about their personality Just win baby!

The 49ers play in San Jose.

Santa Clara?

I was never a Marrone lover but I thought he did a better job than some here are willing to credit him for in getting the team playing hard every single game and the capitulations of the past disappeared. I am not distraught he is gone in terms of thinking "wow we lost a great coach" but I do feel it probably sets us back more next year than the stability of keeping the band together would, especially if we lost Schwartz as well.

He had also started to grow on me as a personality until this. But now he can rot for all I care.... all respect lost. Talked about the Buffalo Bills family on Sunday and then walked out on Wednesday. Take lil Nate with you and good riddance.

I am a big believer that being a successful HC is mostly about getting players to believe in you.

Marrone came in with ambitious plans for his offense and a wildly inflated-ego with regard to his ability to manage and develop QB's.

Going with 3 rookie QB's and no QB coach was the height of arrogance.

Then he got punched in the mouth in the second half of 2013.

This year's plan was MUCH different. He was going to play not to lose to save his career.

Basically, he was an utter fraud at the x's and o's.

But he did succeed in getting his team to mirror his personality. That is big.

The guy is a survivor. He's deliberate and cold. Men in uncertain circumstances will follow a man like that.

He understood that offense can lose you more games than it can win for you. He wasn't going to turn over his fate to an empowered OC the way he did the defense.

It was an ideal time for him to move on and take the lessons he learned about his own strengths and limitations and get a re-start.

I am a big believer that being a successful HC is mostly about getting players to believe in you.

Marrone came in with ambitious plans for his offense and a wildly inflated-ego with regard to his ability to manage and develop QB's.

This year's plan was MUCH different. He was going to play not to lose to save his career.

The guy is a survivor. He's deliberate and cold. Men in uncertain circumstances will follow a man like that.

He understood that offense can lose you more games than it can win for you. He wasn't going to turn over his fate to an empowered OC the way he did the defense.

It was an ideal time for him to move on and take the lessons he learned about his own strengths and limitations and get a re-start.

Very well stated, BADO

A head coach is only as good as his staff. Give me a guy with clout, respect and cojones. Marrone failed miserably in hiring Hackett and Morris. The rest of his staff was top notch. In a perfect world we will retain all of the defensive staff, and hire Chan to run the offense. There's only a few men that can pull this off and one of them is Bill Cowher.

don't you think it might help the drummer to know if the songs in 3/4 or 4/4? springsteen does so many waltzes don't you know? :D

anywho, i'm firmly in the good riddance camp.

Max is so good, he can figure it out in a millisecond!

Nice insight Badol ; )

That's a great post. But I think he gets a little too much credit for getting the team to match his personality. The offense was timid. They had some feisty guys like Lee Smith and Wood and Woods and Pears, but they were shy. The attitude on this team was all the defense, from Bradham who was a changed man, Hughes, and the new guys brought in like Spikes and Graham. And ST with Easley and Dixon and Graham and a few others. I don't really see Marrone as motivating those guys, who are all self motivators. Maybe I don't give him enough credit for it.