Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrone wanted guarantee's he wasn't going to be canned this season knowing someone, Polian or whomever would be coming onboard as football czar and Pegula rightfully so didn't make any promises, so he takes the "high road" and cashes in but in reality he was going to get paid anyway for 2015. So it is a "win win" for PEgula, Polian and Marrone. His reputation remains intact, neither Pegula or Polian have to play the heavy handed role. Only rest of coaching staff is negatively affected. Works out for everyone as if it were planned. No Doug isn't that smart but Pegula is ask BonJovi!!!!

he figured out a way he could grab more money in 1 year than he'll probably make the rest of his career and he grabbed it. what's so hard about that.

Doug Marrone sucks. he walked out on the players where he talked about Family and got the rest of his staff essentially fired because he wanted to report to the owner. He's a baby. Whatever, glad he is gone. will be interesting to see if he takes Hackett with him.

If he doesn't take Hackit with him. The next coach will simply fire him. Doubtful anyone sees anything in that guy as a OC.

I'd be totally shocked if Reich was made head coach from nothing more than being an OC for Rivers. There's no way Pegula or Whaley can go the way of Reich with the little amount of experience he has as a coordinator

Reich has labored for several years as a positional coach. You have to ask yourself why? He isn't a young up & comer, he's a guy who's been coaching for many years. Why did it take him so long to get an OC gig? Was it wrong place wrong time? Was it that he didn't show an aptitude for it? Was it something else? We can't answer those questions. What each of us can answer is whether one season as the SD OC is enough for the Bills to gamble on. For me the answer is no.

It seems to me that the Polian joining the team at the end of January time frame no longer works. Either Whaley does the interviews and makes the HC hire or Polian forgets about the Jan 31st HOF vote and joins the Bills now.

Surely has made the off-season interesting.

the HOF has already made it clear that Polian , coming in as a "contributor" is not subject to the 5 year reset rule.

Reich has labored for several years as a positional coach. You have to ask yourself why? He isn't a young up & comer, he's a guy who's been coaching for many years. Why did it take him so long to get an OC gig? Was it wrong place wrong time? Was it that he didn't show an aptitude for it? Was it something else? We can't answer those questions. What each of us can answer is whether one season as the SD OC is enough for the Bills to gamble on. For me the answer is no.

I would think nostalgia hires rarely work. The bolts didn't even make the playoffs this year. And they have a QB.

Hackett will be working at a fast food restaurant this time next year.

I suspect the front office insisted he be let go, and Doug didn't want to do it, becuase with Hackett, he (Dougie) still really controlled the offense. Getting a real OC would have taken him out of that process. Which ironically, would have been good for the team, and him. But arrogance and pride are very effective blinders.

The only thing Im having a hard time understanding is how so many fans are behind this move, and the Pegulas, as if they just did something great.

To me, it looks like a "Ralph is Cheap. Same Ol Bills" move where we couldnt figure out a way to keep the first coach to get us to a winning record in over a decade. I guess it takes two to tango, but we couldnt sway him with an offer like: "Replace OC and OL coach, and everyone on staff gets a new 3 year contract"?

I hope Pegula has a plan that isnt just taking an easy road of bringing in retreads like Polian/Reich (read:LaFontaine/Nolan, Levy/Jauron).

I dunno. If Marrone is *obviously* such a quitter than Im glad he is gone, but I dont like the way this is playing out so far.

I cant think of anything that would be an *obvious* upgrade to Marrone outside of prying Gruden out of ESPN. And even that is shaky at best.

Same old Bills would be giving a proven, failure of an offense another year to somehow turn it around.

The offense is criminal. Changes must be made.

St. Doug "I want an extension for me and Hackett."

Any Reasonable person: "You have got to be kidding. How about "No""

St. Doug "I'm taking my .500 talents to NYC."

Any Reasonable person: "Don't forget to take Hackett with you."

I know i am way way in the minority here, but i would like to see Hackett stay. I think the offense was 100% a reflection of St Doug...and Hackett had little input.

I would like to see him with a coach who would let him call his offense, think he can be young and innovative and aggressive if given the chance...just my opinion

I know i am way way in the minority here, but i would like to see Hackett stay. I think the offense was 100% a reflection of St Doug...and Hackett had little input.

I would like to see him with a coach who would let him call his offense, think he can be young and innovative and aggressive if given the chance...just my opinion

It's an interesting thought -- we just have no idea whether that's the case. Hackett has been attached to Marrone's hip for how many years now?

It's an interesting thought -- we just have no idea whether that's the case. Hackett has been attached to Marrone's hip for how many years now?

Since he was a contributor to that abortion of an offense here 7-8 years ago, right?

Would be quite the situation to let Doug walk and force the whole staff to stay

Edited by NoSaint

It seems to me that the Polian joining the team at the end of January time frame no longer works. Either Whaley does the interviews and makes the HC hire or Polian forgets about the Jan 31st HOF vote and joins the Bills now.

Surely has made the off-season interesting.

I'd assume he'd be a contributor not the sole leader which he can still do today without a title

lost ya here Saint????/

Hacketts last gig without Doug was being an assistant when we ran the no huddle with walker penciled in at LT back in 2008 or 09

I'd assume he'd be a contributor not the sole leader which he can still do today without a title

Hacketts last gig without Doug was being an assistant when we ran the no huddle with walker penciled in at LT back in 2008 or 09

okay...now i understand.

He was not very involved there though right? He was a QC coach if i recall correctly.

Like i said, just a gut feeling...be interesting to see if he gets hired by Marone(if Marone gets a job)...

The best thing about yesterday to me is that it sure does appear Russ Brandon is truly out of the loop now.

We went from:

Russ saying no eminent changes after the Pats game

then

Marrone leaving with the statement issued by Pegula

and

no Russ to be seen or heard anywhere.