Doug Marrone opts out of contract

The Poojer

I can see the giving Reich the title of Associate Head Coach and OC so it is a promotion, and then he is the guy who is in line for the job. He does not deserve a HC job in any way right now. He's never really ran an offense.

Reading the reports about Reich is a bit frightening. I love the guy but. too soon.

I do like your idea though Kelly!

AHC with full OC responsibilities.

I would to say again , i am very proud of The Pegulas and 100% on board with this business decision.

Boy this is more exciting then i could have imagined already

Go Bills

• Replies 701
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the incentive, the chance to go to a different team of his choosing and a larger contract?

That wasn't enough apparently to wrestle him from Cleveland. The uncertainty of ownership made it difficult.

I was saying that there should have been offset language but I guess then he would have just sat out the year if he didn't love an opportunity. Either way he ended up making the equivalent of $5.5m or $6M a year for the 2 he coached. That's not crazy. I hope that he falls on his face at his next stop. This was a Bobby Petrino move.

That's an interesting question Beerball. I thought that Marrone did a pretty good job even though I hated his offense. Would we have been better or worse with someone else? I have no idea

It's a conundrum!!!

What is true (isn't it?) is that the one thing Marrone really showed aptitude for hiring DC's.

Offensively (his forte) was seriously disappointing. I personally still don't know whether Hackett is/was/will be a good OC. An offensive offensive line, inconsistent QB play, aging RB...not exactly a formula for success.

That wasn't enough apparently to wrestle him from Cleveland. The uncertainty of ownership made it difficult.

I was saying that there should have been offset language but I guess then he would have just sat out the year if he didn't love an opportunity. Either way he ended up making the equivalent of $5.5m or $6M a year for the 2 he coached. That's not crazy. I hope that he falls on his face at his next stop. This was a Bobby Petrino move.

Not a Marrone fan but can't blame him 1 bit for that clause. There were ownership questions and he was prudent. Can't blame the FO for granting either.

Now what does seem weird is that he was playing it off against Cleveland's "stable" ownership. Wasn't that guy about to go to jail? Maybe Cleveland also gave him a clause and Buffalo simply matched it.

It's a conundrum!!!

What is true (isn't it?) is that the one thing Marrone really showed aptitude for hiring DC's.

Offensively (his forte) was seriously disappointing. I personally still don't know whether Hackett is/was/will be a good OC. An offensive offensive line, inconsistent QB play, aging RB...not exactly a formula for success.

Totally agree

Not a Marrone fan but can't blame him 1 bit for that clause. There were ownership questions and he was prudent. Can't blame the FO for granting either.

Now what does seem weird is that he was playing it off against Cleveland's "stable" ownership. Wasn't that guy about to go to jail? Maybe Cleveland also gave him a clause and Buffalo simply matched it.

I was thinking the same thing but this must have been right before Haslem got in trouble. At least I hope that was the case.

I'd rather see Pegs lure Cowher or Dungy out of retirement with a $10 million/year contract offer, but - realistically - I'd be okay with Reich. If he kept the defensive coaching staff in place and hired some good offensive coaches, he'd do fine.

Thats a slap to Schwartz, careful now

OK, for as long as Springsteen has been touring, he doesn't need to tell the band. That's not terribly unusual for some jazz groups, for example. Especially for the drummer who doesn't even need to worry about what key it's in! Oh yeah, the thread. Bye Marrone. I never had a good feeling about your approach to the team. I strongly suspected that the high school offense was your doing. How on earth can you take 5 professional offensive lineman and make them into such a bad line?

OK, for as long as Springsteen has been touring, he doesn't need to tell the band. That's not terribly unusual for some jazz groups, for example. Especially for the drummer who doesn't even need to worry about what key it's in! Oh yeah, the thread. Bye Marrone. I never had a good feeling about your approach to the team. I strongly suspected that the high school offense was your doing. How on earth can you take 5 professional offensive lineman and make them into such a bad line?

don't you think it might help the drummer to know if the songs in 3/4 or 4/4? springsteen does so many waltzes don't you know? :D

anywho, i'm firmly in the good riddance camp.

Edited by birdog1960

How many people were lamenting Pettine's departure last off season?

How did the defense do under Schwartzy?

With the talent assembled a decent DC will be successful.

I am suggesting that keeping Jim Schwartz as D coordinator and promoting a very young -ish(exp) Reich to a HC position is not good etiquette at all.

Moving Reich to AHC and O coordinator is fine by me.

I have already read that Jim S has an interest. But whether that founded or not i could only guess. I would love to retain Schwartz another year .

This part of the equation should be interesting

Reich as a AHC / OC , mentor for EJ with Rex as HC works for me.

and keep Jim S.

Hell yes

Marrone was never a contender to become Cleveland's HC, but he certainly may have used them as leverage. As for Haslam, the investigation concerning PFJ stealing from their customers is ongoing. The deal that was cut was only to protect the company, not individuals. As of now the Feds have worked their way up the company ladder to Haslam's direct report, President Mark Hazelwood, who recieved a target letter a few months ago.

The opt out clause when ownership changes is standard practice, I believe, so that's just part of the game. No hard feelings about its existence here. Marrone reminds me of a slew of other opportunistic coaches out there, though. Rich Rodriguez, Butch Davis, etc. Huge egos and zero loyalty to anything except the almighty dollar. They tell people What they want to hear and say a lot of the right things, but they lie and are happy to bounce around to the biggest check they can find. Then they bail the minute there is another dollar to be had. F Marrone, but the Bills should be better off without him.

I would guess the Offense wont miss him one lick not Morris and Nathaniel either. If i were them i would be pretty excited

and the defense doesnt need him anyways.

But the continuity card with defense should be carefully overseen IMHO.

The best thing about yesterday to me is that it sure does appear Russ Brandon is truly out of the loop now.

We went from:

Russ saying no eminent changes after the Pats game

then

Marrone leaving with the statement issued by Pegula

and

no Russ to be seen or heard anywhere.

signs it may be a great year to be a Bills fan.

He had a lot of defenders here but I think he goes down as one of our most hated eventually

Apart from a few factions on this board, I do not detect a mass hate of Marrone. As I have stated earlier, I do not understand the hate at all. It is well and fine to question his decisions and his gameday calls, but he did nothing to my knowledge that justifies a hate of the man.