Fire Hackett

So if I'm getting this right: because we scored off four turnovers and not six, getting us 20 points rather than 26 or 34, and because without turnovers we only managed 23 points...on the road...against a division opponent...to win...where we've never won before...by 20 points, Hackett sucks?

May be, just may be, in a game where the offense hangs 43 points going into the bye THERE WAS NO !@#$ING NEED TO CREATE TAPE ON ANY THING ELSE.

Not only and am I befuddled by the absence of ends in all this bitching about the means, I'm shocked that nobody can explain what the point in running [whatever !@#$ing plays you seem to think they should have] when WE DIDNT !@#$ING NEED TO.

There are eight games left on the schedule, one against each of our division opponents and and four against other teams from our conference.

If we can win by running it up the middle and having out defense shut them down, why make it easier for teams to scout every wrinkle we potentially offer?

Because we didn't put the game away early like we should have probably. We didn't know we were getting 17 turnovers gifted to us and 43 points when we were in a 1 score game at halftime

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if I'm getting this right: because we scored off four turnovers and not six, getting us 20 points rather than 26 or 34, and because without turnovers we only managed 23 points...on the road...against a division opponent...to win...where we've never won before...by 20 points, Hackett sucks?

May be, just may be, in a game where the offense hangs 43 points going into the bye THERE WAS NO !@#$ING NEED TO CREATE TAPE ON ANY THING ELSE.

Not only and am I befuddled by the absence of ends in all this bitching about the means, I'm shocked that nobody can explain what the point in running [whatever !@#$ing plays you seem to think they should have] when WE DIDNT !@#$ING NEED TO.

There are eight games left on the schedule, one against each of our division opponents and and four against other teams from our conference.

If we can win by running it up the middle and having out defense shut them down, why make it easier for teams to scout every wrinkle we potentially offer?

We had six turnovers! This was not a having the defense shut them down, they scored 23 points. We did nothing running up the middle, we scored most of our points by not doing what the HC and OC want to do. Can't you see that? The conservative stuff did next to nothing. The spreading them out idea was 3 of our 4 biggest plays. With 3 turnovers this game would have been close, and it could have gone the other way. We had 6.

We had six turnovers! This was not a having the defense shut them down, they scored 23 points. We did nothing running up the middle, we scored most of our points by not doing what the HC and OC want to do. Can't you see that? The conservative stuff did next to nothing. The spreading them out idea was 3 of our 4 biggest plays. With 3 turnovers this game would have been close, and it could have gone the other way. We had 6.

Did next to nothing? Did we win?

What OUTCOME were you hoping for?

Because we didn't put the game away early like we should have probably. We didn't know we were getting 17 turnovers gifted to us and 43 points when we were in a 1 score game at halftime

Gifted?

I see. So NOBODY deserves credit.

Okay.

Did next to nothing? Did we win?

What OUTCOME were you hoping for?

Gifted?

I see. So NOBODY deserves credit.

Okay.

You're just ignoring what happened in the game and the last several games.

If you want to say that it doesn't matter how you play, or what happens in a game, it's all good if you win, I will accept that. And I understand it. I have taken that stance many times myself.

If you think however that this is the best use of our players that will lead this roster this year to play to its potential and go as far as it can go I have to question your stability.

You're just ignoring what happened in the game and the last several games.

If you want to say that it doesn't matter how you play, or what happens in a game, it's all good if you win, I will accept that. And I understand it. I have taken that stance many times myself.

If you think however that this is the best use of our players that will lead this roster this year to play to its potential and go as far as it can go I have to question your stability.

I'm ignoring what happened?

So as far as how you've acknowledged the offense's 43 points on the road? How would you characterize that?

When I saw this thread, I thought it was tongue in cheek. 6 turnovers an they scored 43....FORTY THREE....points. How many should they have scored? 70?

Sounds like the "fans" need a new whipping boy now that they can't complain about Spiller.

I'm ignoring what happened?

So as far as how you've acknowledged the offense's 43 points on the road? How would you characterize that?

Okay, I will acquiesce. With this 2-3 TE offense, we will win all games we get 6 turnovers, five of which ended up at the opponents 46, 1, 31, 10, 14 yard line and one at midfield.

I think what bothers me most about Marrone/Hackett is that neither seem to have a feel for momentum. I may be wrong, but it seemed like after EVERY turnover they didn't want to capitalize on the momentum with a quick-strike, go for the jugular play and against the one of the worst secondaries in the game to boot. They are old school in many ways and jumping on a team after a turnover is as old school as it gets and they don't seem to want to take chances. Just little feel for the game.

Yup -- we were SCREAMING from the stands for them to run that third-down deep strike on first down, one of those times. You simply can't end the drive in their 40s (and punt) that many times. Killer instinct. Gotta have it to go far in the playoffs, IMO.

Okay, I will acquiesce. With this 2-3 TE offense, we will win all games we get 6 turnovers, five of which ended up at the opponents 46, 1, 31, 10, 14 yard line and one at midfield.

:D

I've been a silent supporter of Hackett hoping he would get more agressive with his play calling but the constant run run pass punt is getting ridiculous.

I'm not sure if he's the fall guy or NOT, Marrone may be hampering him because it defies logic. They continue to run the same basic sets & formations like its still pre-season...absolutely no creativity.

The system is designed not to create a mismatch and /or exploit the weakness of the defense's personnel. Its like he just calls plays with no regard of the matchup, IMO.

Has Hackett & staff ever aligned a formation to put the opposing defense on it heels, scheme-wise? Good coordinator's scheme an offense to the talent at hand and scout out the short-comings of the opponent. I just don't get the feeling that, this is what he does...at all!!!

He needed more seasoning in college as an OC because he's in way over his head, IMO.

When I saw this thread, I thought it was tongue in cheek. 6 turnovers an they scored 43....FORTY THREE....points. How many should they have scored? 70?

Sounds like the "fans" need a new whipping boy now that they can't complain about Spiller.

Didn't watch the game, did you? What did they have, 7 drives without a first down?

I'm going agains the grain here. He called a sound game. I'm aware that many people get frustrated with his numerous runs up the middle but he is emphasizing those types of runs because he wants to keep the defense somewhat off balance and protect his qb. Having an even minimally effective running game restrains the defense from going full bore forward against one of the least mobile qbs in the league. I described him in another thread as having the mobility of a one legged stork.

This was a game in which it was appropriate to be very cautious in the passing game because our defense for most of the game had the Jets stymied on offense. If you recall the Chargers took the same approach, especially in the second half, in their game against us.

Overall, I thought Hackett called a smart game. For him the challenge is to come up with a good strategy for a team that has serious issues on the OL. In this game I thought his playcalling was prudent and smart for the way the game was developing.

Seriously? Ever consider that Orton is changing the play at the line into something that works?

While I love Kyle Orton, I also hate that he is making Hackett and Marrone look somewhat competent. Because I highly doubt this team beats the better teams they play this year with a crap O line & run game. Both Marrone and Hackett are responsible for the play of the offense other then Orton. So many penalties.

Six* turnovers helped the Bills win this game, and the 32 rushes for 67 yards with a 2.1 YPC avg didn't.

Edited by FeartheLosing

Seriously? Ever consider that Orton is changing the play at the line into something that works?

While I love Kyle Orton, I also hate that he is making Hackett and Marrone look somewhat competent. Because I highly doubt this team beats the better teams they play this year with a crap O line & run game. Both Marrone and Hackett are responsible for the play of the offense other then Orton. So many penalties.

Six* turnovers helped the Bills win this game, and the 32 rushes for 67 yards with a 2.1 YPC avg didn't.

So, this team offense it's all about Orton?

Here's the thing: Marrone is the type of coach you're only going to like if he wins. The guy calls himself "St. Doug." That ought to tell you what he's like.

Hackett is HIS OC. As long as he is coach he is going to do it HIS way. Playing Orton was HIS call. This offense is HIS call too. Hackett works for Marrone and gets his marching orders from him.

In short, Marrone is often an unpleasant and confrontational man to be around and demands things be done EXACTLY the way he wants them done. He's often not a very engaging person at the podium during press conferences. He's really what many fans CLAIMED to want for years: a strict disciplinarian who takes no BS.

Many still pine for the days of winning four or six "exciting" games under Chan Gailey. He was SO GOOD! yet his teams got embarrassed on a weekly basis throughout his tenure here. Must have been talent, because BOY could that guy call a game! And he took the TV out of the weight room!

Meanwhile, Marrone's teams win in SPITE of him! LOL you can't make this stuff up!

So far the results are 5 wins in 8 games. That's pretty good. Let's see the whole season before we start firing people.

Edited by TheFunPolice

This thread title reads more like a screen name.

Hey wait a second...

Did you ever consider that Orton checked into some of runs? It appeared that he did.

I'm frankly stunned by the amount of support Hackett is receiving on here.

5-3 is a nice feeling... GO BILLS!

I think it's less about support, more about correcting some of the incorrect slights. No one is more disappointed by our play calling to end the halves this year than me. I hate it. I also think, as Joe B stated, that Marrone has more influence than most people think on the offensive play calling and rationale. Hackett is not a autonomous playcaller, and it'd be foolish to act as though his "firing" would eliminate our issues. Also, as we all know, our offensive line sucks. Not many plays will look good if no one blocks.

Edited by FireChan

you cant get into a throwing contest with a sketchy offensive line with no RB blitz pickup against a crazy pass rushing blitzing team. The Jets need to get turnover and win on defense or they can't win- so as painful as it was today and frustrating for this week it was the right plan.

the problem is that when you have those things working against you, you need to throw in non-obvious passing downs instead of 3rd and 9, when the defense can pin its ears back and go after the passer. On the other hand, when your QB is averaging 12 yards per attempt, it might be a good idea to just throw more regardless of the situation.

You're looking at the end result and saying it all worked out... what's the big deal? But, in context...

The Bills scored first, it's 7-0.

The Jets get the ball. INT by Gilmore. Bills go 3 and out, Punt. It's 7-0.

The Jets get the ball. INT by Brown. Bills go 3 and out, Punt. It's 7-0.

The Jets get the ball. INT by Williams. Bills get the ball at the 1 and finally score. It's 14-0.

So... although we just got Geno benched and had geat field postion thoughout the 1st quarter, the offense has only managed 2 scores. The second only required gaining 1yard.

The next series, Vick comes in and drives the field. Jets score. It's 14-7.

We're by no means blowing them out.

At the end of the second quarter, after more futility and bad decisions by our coaches, the score is 24-17. Again, still no blow out.

Our first drive to start the 3rd.... a 3 and out.

We score next with a FG at roughly the 8min mark of the 3rd. At that point, we're starting to pull away. But even on that scoring "drive", it started at the Jet 27, after a good McLovin return. We went 3 and out, kicked the FG.

So, by no means did we completely blow them out from the get go. Yes, we were winning, but only because the defense was all over the Jets. To suggest that all is good because we were up by a TD, therefore, didn't need to show our playbook to future teams is just nonsense. You go to boring, protect mode in the 4th quarter when you're up by 2 or 3 scores, not when you're in the 2nd quarter up by 1 score.

The offensive coaching is offensive. There's no other way to put it. I'm happy we won and will soon forget about this game (as I'm going on vacation this week :) ) but what frustrates me is I truly think this team has enough talent to be in the playoffs. But, coaching plans like this are going to cost us games. And, I'm tired of seeing our seasons wasted with piss poor coaching.

Sorry, I'll drop it now ;)

You're looking at the end result and saying it all worked out... what's the big deal? But, in context...

The Bills scored first, it's 7-0.

The Jets get the ball. INT by Gilmore. Bills go 3 and out, Punt. It's 7-0.

The Jets get the ball. INT by Brown. Bills go 3 and out, Punt. It's 7-0.

The Jets get the ball. INT by Williams. Bills get the ball at the 1 and finally score. It's 14-0.

So... although we just got Geno benched and had geat field postion thoughout the 1st quarter, the offense has only managed 2 scores. The second only required gaining 1yard.

The next series, Vick comes in and drives the field. Jets score. It's 14-7.

We're by no means blowing them out.

At the end of the second quarter, after more futility and bad decisions by our coaches, the score is 24-17. Again, still no blow out.

Our first drive to start the 3rd.... a 3 and out.

We score next with a FG at roughly the 8min mark of the 3rd. At that point, we're starting to pull away. But even on that scoring "drive", it started at the Jet 27, after a good McLovin return. We went 3 and out, kicked the FG.

So, by no means did we completely blow them out from the get go. Yes, we were winning, but only because the defense was all over the Jets. To suggest that all is good because we were up by a TD, therefore, didn't need to show our playbook to future teams is just nonsense. You go to boring, protect mode in the 4th quarter when you're up by 2 or 3 scores, not when you're in the 2nd quarter up by 1 score.

The offensive coaching is offensive. There's no other way to put it. I'm happy we won and will soon forget about this game (as I'm going on vacation this week :) ) but what frustrates me is I truly think this team has enough talent to be in the playoffs. But, coaching plans like this are going to cost us games. And, I'm tired of seeing our seasons wasted with piss poor coaching.

Sorry, I'll drop it now ;)

I see it the way you do, but cannot explain it. The 3 and outs are cause for concern. Its speculation that we didn't want to show our playbook when the game looked quite manageable Yes I am stoked for the win and all the picks. I would like to see Hackett mix it up more on 1st and 2nd down.

I've been a silent supporter of Hackett hoping he would get more agressive with his play calling but the constant run run pass punt is getting ridiculous.

Ridickulous Tpoic...They Won... Be happy for a day...Ortons finding his Chi...

Ridickulous Tpoic...They Won... Be happy for a day...Ortons finding his Chi...

When your opponent is committing suicide, get out of the way. It wasn't pretty, but it was zero turnovers (partly because only 17 passes thrown) and what should have been 5 Orton TD passes if Sammy hadn't showboated on the first bomb. Hackett hasn't shown me much, but check out offensive genius Trestman this year in Chicago. One of the Dolphins after last week's game said that their sets are tipping off their plays, making them easier to defend. At least we've seen a little play action trickier from Hackett, which ain't easy when your O line stinks and your two best RBs are out.

This article made me realize one of the things that's bothering me about Marrone.

Marrone makes game time decisions like a guy that is afraid to show he doesn't belong in the NFL, like if he just keeps it close to the vest, no one can question his decisions. It shows a lack of confidence,.

Trying to run out the clock from the 3rd quarter, in the Red Zone , in a 2 score game, is just way too conservative. Sure, it turned out ok today, but I have to question his mindset. I get it, it was a win, but that doesn't mean the coaches are above reproach. They have 2 wins against teams with winning records...

Edited by HoF Watkins

This offensive coaching is terrible. People can rationalize it all they want after a 20 point win, but it was the same thing last week when we were LUCKY to beat one of the worst teams in the NFL by 1 point with 1 second left. That was a game that we could have won at virtually any point during the first 59 minutes. It did not need to come down to a 4th & 20 conversion and a last second TD. The bottom line is that today we had a dismal offensive performance coupled with a great defensive performance (just like last week). It is just too obvious and frusturating that the offensive line is getting killed and stupid turnovers are being made because of the playcalling. Sammy Watkins is NOT COVERABLE! I repeat he is NOT COVERABLE! Throw him the ball more than 3 times. He should have 10 targets a game period. He has already proven to be that type of player, which rookie WRs rarely do. Im thrilled that we won, but the team is not winning in a way that shows we are on the right track. We are winning despite the playcalling.

Bills first drive with score 0-0: run, run, pass, pass, pass, pass, pass (TD). The game situation dictated the play calling. Do I think it was too conservative? Yes. Was it a rational response to an opponent self-destructing on offense? Yes.

I disagree that the game situation dicated the play calling, because we dominated the first half and went into halftime up only 7 for that exact reason. Granted the 2nd half went fantastic, but with the way the 1st half was handing us scoring opportunities there is no way that we should have been kicking field goals or punting. Make the defense defend all of our offensive weapons in the redzone. Dont run it twice than let a great pass rush kill your QB. Play calling is a big part of Ortons mistakes as well as the Oline struggles.

Bottom line, this kid isn't good at his job. He now has a pro QB who is an outstanding leader and has more than enough skills to get THIS team to the playoffs and maybe win a game or two. The guy still sucks ass at playcalling. It seemed to me yesterday Orton was getting ticked at the calls coming in. Time for him to audible.

The ONLY way the Jets were getting back in the game was a turnover

They played it safe

Agreed

The Jets had 4 sacks on a total of 22 or so drop backs 17 "attempts. 4 sacks despite a 2:1 run to pass ratio and being in the lead since our first drive.

Our oline can't handle interior pressure or blitzes/stunts. Their front seven is very strong particularly at tackle and Rex is one of the best blitzing head coach in the league.

How many sacks would we have given up if we passed more and Orton didn't check into runs at the line as it appeared he did. How soon before Orton gets Injured and Manuel is back in or Orton coughs up the ball. Either of those would have put the jets back in the drivers seat.

I would have liked to see us turn more of those possessions into points but I will take the win.

For context look at New England's points production the last few weeks and their production vs the Jets. That's a very good defence despite a dumpster fire on offense.

After a quality win like this, I am blown away by how many crybabies still aren't satisfied. 5 and 3, 2 and 1 in the division going into the bye, and yet the sniveling just never ends. Congratulations on proving that some people are born complainers. Rex was forced to stick mostly to run defense calls and failed to implement anything particularly exotic when the Bills passed. I am happy they didn't put the O-line in a position to get Orton killed or establish predictability in pass plays. If you think the O-line looks ugly on running downs, what makes anyone think they would be up to the task of protecting Orton on 30-40 drop backs against the Jets front? It takes a true loser to not know when you've won. Carry on with the whining though, I won't be joining you as I will be celebrating ALL day! Go BILLS!

We scored 43 points and people are calling for the OC's head?

Yes. Did you watch the game. The play calling was absolutely atrocious. He ran virtually the same play on first and second down on 7 consecutive possessions.

I'm not a Hackpologist, but I'm not sure if some people consider the following:

- The previous 3 weeks, the Bills have passed the ball 124 times and Kyle Orton has been sacked 13 times and hit 15 times.

- The Jest were #2 in sacks going into the game.

- Urbik had just taken over at LG.

- The Jest defense has held: Denver to 221 yards passing, NE* to 260 yards, San Diego to 277 yards, Detroit to 270 yards, Chicago to 197 yards. So while I'm sure everyone is saying attack the corners, attack the corners, it's their weakness only 1 team has really done that, Green Bay.

- A DL can be disruptive even when the CB's aren't very good.

- 2 RB's who previously haven't seen as much action and would be required to do a bunch of pass blocking. Which Fjax said during preseason that they(FJ, CJ) had been working for weeks on it.

While run, run, pass may not be a very exciting game to watch, it worked.

For me, I'm not sure the offense has established an identity and that can be for a number of reasons. The offense was almost surely developed for EJ strengths and not KO. Now, I know some people will say, "oh just scrap it then", but I imagine thats a bit difficult to do when you are game planning for opponents and only have 3 days of 2 hour practices. The OL has been horrible this season.

Anyways, its a win, and I don't think firing Hackett mid season and replacing him with Marrone would improve things greatly.

Because you are winning, duh.

I have two words for those of you who want the Bills to stay aggressive when they have the lead: Mike Mullarkey.

Mike, or "Meathead" as he's affectionately known as, decided to get fancy while playing the Dolphins 21-0.

JP Losman threw a hundred yard pick 6 and the Bills went on to lose that game.

It's Football 101 for cripes sake. When you have a decent lead, you don't take unnecessary risks. How that isn't obvious boggles my mind.

A five yard pass beyond the LOS is an unnecessary risk? That line of thought boggles my mind. The Saints use a slant as a running play. The Bills run up the middle for a yard.

I know some of you think that we have no room to complain after providing such a beatdown in NJ yesterday.

Thing is that Hackett's playcalling is predictable and the better teams like the Chiefs, and yes, even the Dolphins now have plenty of game tape to watch. Once they figure out how to snuff out those predictable 3rd down pass plays, we will be in trouble. It's not really new. Hackett is the new Turk. Kyle Orton and Company won in despite of throwing away two downs every series.

This running it up the gut into a brick wall is absolutely maddening to me. What a waste of down and player talent.

I hope the Bills take advantage of the bye week and cook up some new things on offense because if they don't, we're all going to get surprised and shocked with KC.