Fire Hackett

I guess he can't hackett. Whatever happened to the days when quarterbacks called their own plays and some really exciting football ensued? Johnny U. totally drove defenses nuts because they never had a clue what was coming. His totally unorthodox calls were part of what made him and the Colts the fabulous team they were. Pass on first down Paul.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was yelling about Hackett, but in the end it comes down to Marone. I have never been more frustrated by play calling in a game the Bills were winning. Run-run-pass in a long yardage situation with the Jets sending everyone at Orton. They did not have a first down in the second half (save for the third-quarter TD ten-yard drive) until the fourth quarter, and that was by penalty.

What the hell is Marone thinking? Does he really think he's going to get six turnovers against every team they play. If they take this tack against the Chiefs they will be blown away.

I am never upset after a win, and surely not after a 20 point win against the Jets, but this is ridiculous. That offensive philosophy is criminal.

I got an idea, lets not use our clearest strength (QB passing and WR) against their clearest weakness (DB and pass defense) but instead, lets force our biggest weakness (TE and run blocking) against their biggest strength (DL and front 7).

It was equally as smart as TJ Graham laying down in the endzone playing possum.

The fact that you can legitimately be frustrated and complain after a 20 point win should be an indication of just how bad Hackett's play calling was....

Edited by billsfan1959

We scored 43 points and people are calling for the OC's head?

Did you watch the game? Our average starting field position was practically midfield. We were on fire that first drive. If we kept that up we are looking at 35 points minimum in that first half.

I would relish a Hackett firing. Don't see it happening though. I'm realistically hoping for a Marrone statement to the effect of "I'll be contributing more to the offensive playcalling" etc

Neither is gonna happen. He was Big Brother Doug's 'Boy' @ Cuse and Marrone is willing to live him.

or die..

Why no bubble screens? 3rd and 2 and pass play that takes 5+ seconds to develop meanwhile our QB gets sacked?

Fire the puke!

Neither is gonna happen. He was Big Brother Doug's 'Boy' @ Cuse and Marrone is willing to live him.

or die..

Great, then Marrone can get sh*tcanned for standing by his guy.

I didn't see the first half, was making my way back from Wembley, but was frustrated following the game by the updates that only 1 of Geno's 3 picks turned into points. The play calling frustrated me in the second half as well, and like someone else said the TD to Chandler was the one time I was thinking "ok you can run this now and kick the FG to make it a 3 score game" but they threw it and scored.

I have been saying since pre-season my issue is less with the individual play calling in isolation - I think if you break each call down you can weigh up pros and cons etc... my issue is with the concept of this offense. I don't see anything clear or tangible. The concept of this offense seems to me to be "hope Jim's unit get us some good field position and then we might do something." I would love to sit down with Hackett for half an hour and me as an uneducated fan living in the UK who has never played the game at any competitive level and ask him what his vision for the offense is. I accept that I might well be totally wrong there might well be a coherent thread running through it... but I sure ain't seeing it if there is. It's frustrating to watch because the talent on offense is better than we have had for a while and our defense is legit.

It seems to me that we're all jumping on Buddy Hackett when it's Marrone who is actually dictating the run focus. Isn't that the likely source for the stubborn approach to the running game?

I actually am glad we are not abandoning the run as we essentially did with Chan as head coach. Being not great at it shouldn't mean abandoning a running game altogether.

With that said, holy cow, we really dialed down the creativity and balance in this game. For a while, I thought we were executing another stupid strategy like the New England game when we took Watkins out of it in favor of three tight ends. Good grief!

Edited by Stormin Norman

Horrible play calling,was keeping the Jets in the game till late. We should have passed so much more on 1st down or 2nd. Play action on 1st down would have killed them all day or until they kept stacking the line. Hackett and Marrone are clueless. That`s the difference between the Pats and us. Belicheck would have stepped on their throats and kept passing on them. Happy with the win. Not happy with the coaches on offense or the line switches on D certain spots. Will have to do better against good teams down the road. Let`s Go BuffalOOOO.