Fire Hackett

absolutely stupid post..... very stupid... that commitment to run showed up in play action... TD to Lee Smith who was riduloudly wide open for instance. Go punch a wall or something... Every game has it's own context... The goal is to win not to create style points or earn fantasy points... They just won their third road game of the year. 2 out of three of these places I know we had never won at. We beat a division rival on the road and pounded them by 20 points. How many points did you want to score today? They are 5-3 and learning how to win. They WON and it wan't a fluke or anything. WTF is wrong with you people? Seriously? Just enjoy the win!!!

apparently the nfl playoffs are determined by the BCS now.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been a supporter of Hackett so far. I mostly blamed EJ's limitations, and then the Oline struggles, for our offensive problems. Unfortunately my mind has been changed. Orton is a lot more capable to make vertical plays and I think the Oline pass protected better today with Urbik in there.

Yet, going against the worst secondaries in the league and one of the best run defenses in the league, Hackett decides to run the ball twice as many times as pass when the game was still close. There is zero reason that game should have been that close going into the 3rd quarter, and if the Jets weren't shooting themselves in the foot so much they could have come back to win that game. A good team probably would have. It's pathetic to have as many 3-and-outs as we had, and it's pathetic to have to accept field goals on that many drives that start around mid-field.

Yes I'm happy we won, and yes I'm happy we blew out the Jets. But it was because of the defense that we did so. For a team that has such an atrocious run game right now, Hackett sure does call a lot of run plays. If you want to run a lot, fine. But mix it up a little. I bet if you looked up stats for runs up the middle the Bills probably have the worst yards per attempt in the entire league.

Edited by TheBillsWillRiseAgain

absolutely stupid post..... very stupid... that commitment to run showed up in play action... TD to Lee Smith who was riduloudly wide open for instance. Go punch a wall or something... Every game has it's own context... The goal is to win not to create style points or earn fantasy points... They just won their third road game of the year. 2 out of three of these places I know we had never won at. We beat a division rival on the road and pounded them by 20 points. How many points did you want to score today? They are 5-3 and learning how to win. They WON and it wan't a fluke or anything. WTF is wrong with you people? Seriously? Just enjoy the win!!!

The play at the one yard to Lee Smith is NOT in any way a result of running a lot. That's absurd. At the one yard line, especially first and goal, every team in the league has to first prepare for the run, and does, every single solitary play, and play action often works even if you throw every play. That is really a ridiculous argument.

It is absolutely mind boggling watching the 1st and 2nd down runs our OC coordinator calls. We're giving up precious yards all the time and forcing 3rd and long every series. Runnings ok but we need to mix up the variety and timing some. Watched some of his Syracuse games and knew it wouldn't work in the NFL. His offense was all QB running options. Go look for yourself. He needs to go, seriously - he's the worst OC I've ever seen.

Orton was getting hit on half of his pass attempts. Watkins stopped running on two deep routes, great talent but a bit immature. Someday he will be a top 3 WR in the league but there are growing pains. O-line is the real problem. What do you think would happen at 5-3 if Hacket got fired this week. Do you really think Marone would call a better game with that line? The only thing that could happen is trade. More likely Williams gets healthy goes to RG, Urbik LG and run with that Whaley should be fired at years end for O-line and going all summer without a true veteran QB. Just can't make those kind of mistakes.

Am I the only one who thinks the Bills are winning in spite of the coaching? Talented team but so poorly coached on the offensive side that it impacts the whole team. I'm wondering whether a lot of the problems with the running game and O-line aren't directly related to the coaching on that side of the ball.

A-EFFING-MEN!!!!!! Brutal!!!! Hey, I got an idea; Run the ball somewhere other than up the damned gut!!!!! UGGGGG I have never felt more disappointed winning.

While I'm no fan of Hacket I actually didn't think the playcalling in today's game was as bad as some previous weeks. Given the fact that we were forcing turnovers we really didn't need to force the ball or anything. And even when we were ahead by 20 points we were still throwing the ball (TD pass to Watkins). Hacket wasn't the one who pointed to the crowd on his way to the endzone and got tackled short of scoring. Yet he called a nice run play to get us in the endzone on the very next play.

While I'm no fan of Hacket I actually didn't think the playcalling in today's game was as bad as some previous weeks. Given the fact that we were forcing turnovers we really didn't need to force the ball or anything. And even when we were ahead by 20 points we were still throwing the ball (TD pass to Watkins). Hacket wasn't the one who pointed to the crowd on his way to the endzone and got tackled short of scoring. Yet he called a nice run play to get us in the endzone on the very next play.

zero credit to Hackett in the chat room for that play or the Lee Smith TD.

It's nice to score but that is something every team does in that situation. That's almost the expected call. I don't think he gets all that much credit for that. It was less than one yard.

Going into the year it was something Hackett needed to get better at. The TD pass to Gragg was a nice play too.

He stinks

I'm going agains the grain here. He called a sound game. I'm aware that many people get frustrated with his numerous runs up the middle but he is emphasizing those types of runs because he wants to keep the defense somewhat off balance and protect his qb. Having an even minimally effective running game restrains the defense from going full bore forward against one of the least mobile qbs in the league. I described him in another thread as having the mobility of a one legged stork.

This was a game in which it was appropriate to be very cautious in the passing game because our defense for most of the game had the Jets stymied on offense. If you recall the Chargers took the same approach, especially in the second half, in their game against us.

Overall, I thought Hackett called a smart game. For him the challenge is to come up with a good strategy for a team that has serious issues on the OL. In this game I thought his playcalling was prudent and smart for the way the game was developing.

Going into the year it was something Hackett needed to get better at. The TD pass to Gragg was a nice play too.

Agreed. But again, it's what everyone does. It almost seems like half the overall TDs from the one yard line these days are play-action to an underused receiver. It's not a shrewd, clever call.

In the post game pressed it sounded like Marrone approved of the constant runs up the middle. It was just the blown assignments he was concerned about. If you run it that many times and can't break 60 yards, why stick with it?

Because you are winning, duh.

I have two words for those of you who want the Bills to stay aggressive when they have the lead: Mike Mullarkey.

Mike, or "Meathead" as he's affectionately known as, decided to get fancy while playing the Dolphins 21-0.

JP Losman threw a hundred yard pick 6 and the Bills went on to lose that game.

It's Football 101 for cripes sake. When you have a decent lead, you don't take unnecessary risks. How that isn't obvious boggles my mind.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

completely disagree. it is far from exciting football but a W is a W. winnng ugly, as was the slogan for some chicago white sox teams who were horrible offensively yet played very good "small ball" and defense to win a championship back in '05.

true, it was painful at times today. however, no ints and orton is still in good health. the OL is still marginal at best.

what does that have to do with predictable playcalling ?