Fire Hackett

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is it possible that part of the problem is we are not giving our OL any help by masking what we are going to do? does that end around, even if it only goes for a few yards help keep a defense honest? were we creative before the rb injuries?

A note to the creative part: I think the run game was more creative, if you want to call it that, with EJ because of the read-option.

Interesting stat from the 'Box O' Shout' (credit thebandit)

on first down runs:

Bryce Brown 5.0 YPC

Boobie Dixon 2.45 YPC

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Hackjob does know that we can run to the outside right? like an HB off tackle run or a pitchout?

CBF

You are only allowed to run up the middle. Guard play is the strength of this team. :)

And I love that we are complaining about only scoring 43 points. We should because this team is so talented. Our expectations should be sky high.

so it seems you are going with him not maximizing our potential, but you wont be upset until we are actually losing because of it?

though it does sound like you think hes at that 99.9999% efficiency i suppose. i just think we regularly leave more than $1 on the field.

If you can win with an ultra conservative game plan, on the road, in the division, in the first half of the season, that's the right game plan.

I didn't realize you had that 1 example ten years ago to make it so indisputable. I imagine no team has ever gotten too conservative and let a team hang around too long.

How many examples of utter coaching stupidity did you need? Maybe I can't cite many other examples because most coaches aren't as dumb as Meathead?

Interesting stat from the 'Box O' Shout' (credit thebandit)

on first down runs:

Bryce Brown 5.0 YPC

Boobie Dixon 2.45 YPC

Considering he only had 15 yards total, how many runs are we talking about? And I think defenses are wise to the fact that Dixon is probably going up the middle.

I think Hackett and Marrone are stubborn. They envision a run first team and they suck at running the football. The strength of this team is the receivers. You need to break tendencies and adjust to your strengths. IF you start passing on 1st downs 66% of the time, the other 33% of the time the runs will be more effective.

If you can win with an ultra conservative game plan, on the road, in the division, in the first half of the season, that's the right game plan.

you CAN win doing just about anything. just because we did win doesnt mean it was very smart. someone else mentioned the stat that the play following the 6 turnovers amounted to 15 yards. we are a better team than that.

I'm fully on board with this...I have lost faith in Marrone since week 4, mainly due to his decisions leading up to game day and then over the last several weeks, I've seen this team regress as a whole. The JETS game showed how one side of the ball can truly dominate a game, and to no one's shock it was the Defense....my issues with Marrone have been, his slow response to putting in Urbik, even after Williams went down with a back injury, slow to make the QB change that probably never should even come to a change, and the lack of game-day involvement of play-calling for the Offense which has been abysmal...to me,that is the biggest issue as of today, now that some of the other changes have been made...but Hackett is NOT calling a good game nor is there proper personnel...as others have already stated, too many 2 and 3 TE sets and not enough 3 to 4 WR sets when those are arguably some of the best play-makers the BILLS have...I suspect Marrone will be given the directive to change Offensive Coordinators regardless of outcome - unless they win the Super Bowl and that is a snowball's chance in hell but anything is possible I suppose - and Marrone will have to either acquiesce or resign...despite his slow response, Marrone is at least willing to show he'll make changes, I'm hoping removing Hackett's play-calling is next and a new OC is found in the Off-Season.

Considering he only had 15 yards total, how many runs are we talking about? And I think defenses are wise to the fact that Dixon is probably going up the middle.

I think Hackett and Marrone are stubborn. They envision a run first team and they suck at running the football. The strength of this team is the receivers. You need to break tendencies and adjust to your strengths. IF you start passing on 1st downs 66% of the time, the other 33% of the time the runs will be more effective.

Or on a third and two attempt, you call a play for a five step drop and a deep pattern? Can't wait to see the All-22 on that one.

I'm fully on board with this...I have lost faith in Marrone since week 4, mainly due to his decisions leading up to game day and then over the last several weeks, I've seen this team regress as a whole. The JETS game showed how one side of the ball can truly dominate a game, and to no one's shock it was the Defense....my issues with Marrone have been, his slow response to putting in Urbik, even after Williams went down with a back injury, slow to make the QB change that probably never should even come to a change, and the lack of game-day involvement of play-calling for the Offense which has been abysmal...to me,that is the biggest issue as of today, now that some of the other changes have been made...but Hackett is NOT calling a good game nor is there proper personnel...as others have already stated, too many 2 and 3 TE sets and not enough 3 to 4 WR sets when those are arguably some of the best play-makers the BILLS have...I suspect Marrone will be given the directive to change Offensive Coordinators regardless of outcome - unless they win the Super Bowl and that is a snowball's chance in hell but anything is possible I suppose - and Marrone will have to either acquiesce or resign...despite his slow response, Marrone is at least willing to show he'll make changes, I'm hoping removing Hackett's play-calling is next and a new OC is found in the Off-Season.

Same. Every time we win a game, I lose a little more faith in Marrone.

I understand that.

On the first drive the Bills passed 3 times on 1st down and ran only once on first down. Kyle Orton was absolutely killed on one of them by Coples and was flushed out of the pocket on another.

but you look at the run first teams and they atleast have some nifty little tricks in the run game to get the defense moving different directions. for us defenses just come downhill.

Or on a third and two attempt, you call a play for a five step drop and a deep pattern? Can't wait to see the All-22 on that one.

Or how many times are you going to run routes on 3rd down that are like 5 yards short of the 1st down?

I guess it's a good think that we are 5-3 with a ton of room for improvement. But we should smoke teams like the Jets and Vikes. We are flat out better than them. I jsut haven't seen enough creative offensive coaching this year. What one offensive player has improved under this coaching staff?

I understand that.

On the first drive the Bills passed 3 times on 1st down and ran only once on first down. Kyle Orton was absolutely killed on one of them by Coples and was flushed out of the pocket on another.

I know, our oline is not good. But play action helps them. And the other 2 plays were successful. I just want to see game plans that adjust to the opponent, gameflow, and the strength of the offense. I haven't seen that enough.

Same. Every time we win a game, I lose a little more faith in Marrone.

Look, in my post I gave credit to Marrone for making changes that needed to be made, but also said that they were slow to happen and that had they happened sooner, this team could very well be 6-2 or even 7-1 (but not likely). However, play-calling has been very bad and if the game plan against the Vikes as reported is to be believed, 3 TE sets, that to me shows in inability to game-plan properly...the BILLS won, yes, but that was despite some horrid calls and bad plays, and against a better team, the BILLS lose that game...IF, the BILLS are to be a true playoff team, especially as it comes down the stretch in that horrid 4 game sequence, the Offense must play better and to me, that is a reflection on Coaching issues, i.e. game-plan and play-calling...so, I gave Marrone credit, but I also pointed to some blame for failures and at times, ineffectiveness....I think that's fair, but that's me. Am I very happy the BILLS beat the JETS?? Hell yes...but can I also look at areas they need to get much better, particularly on Offense? Absolutely, and the two areas? Game-planning and play-calling...and this is a "Fire Hackett" thread, so as I said, Marrone needs to take the play-calling over, to demonstrate that he can call a good game....

It's funny. I'm not even impressed with Hackett but I feel compelled to defend him against the hyperbolic attacks. I don't like running for a yard or 2 on almost every 1st down either, but that's what the Chargers did the other night, & I'd wager most of the anti-Hackett mob would seed their shorts if we got Reich.

Those critics who I know to be knowledgeable are measured and specific in their criticisms. The rest should post less and read more.

It was frustrating to watch but they won the game and had control for most of it.

- They were playing with a lead so turned even more conservative than normal.

- Bad O-line and didn't want to expose Orton to big hits or turnovers which he has had a problem with.

I would have taken more shots since it was quite obvious the Jest defensive backs are absolute scrubs.

But we could run and at least have some creativity in the running game even.

It is difficult to have more creativity to your running game when your two best runners are hurt and the OL, as it is presenty playing, is one of the worst in the league. Without a doubt those factors curtail your options.

Orton is playing very well. His efficiency is very good. A source of that success can be attributed to the relatively conservative way he is being used. You have to remember that he came to this team very late and even when he was on the roster he was not getting starting reps. The more he plays and gets familiar with the players the more expansive his game will become.

The Jet game was a unique situation. It was very apparent that with Smith and a rusty Vick that our defense had their offense under control. That certainly played a major role into how the game was called. Don't allow this individual game to make assumptions on how the future game plans will develop.

Take the win and the positives out of this game. Appreciate that the Bills are in a favorable situation that they haven't been in for more than a decade. The team is still very far from being a finished product. Even with its flaws this team is moving in the right direction.

Edited by JohnC