Fire Hackett

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because you are winning, duh.

I have two words for those of you who want the Bills to stay aggressive when they have the lead: Mike Mullarkey.

Mike, or "Meathead" as he's affectionately known as, decided to get fancy while playing the Dolphins 21-0.

JP Losman threw a hundred yard pick 6 and the Bills went on to lose that game.

It's Football 101 for cripes sake. When you have a decent lead, you don't take unnecessary risks. How that isn't obvious boggles my mind.

You know you can't run the clock out in the second quarter.

Also I am not asking for the Bills to play aggressive or conservative but smart and sound. Look to score as many points as possible before halftime.

absolutely stupid post..... very stupid... that commitment to run showed up in play action... TD to Lee Smith who was riduloudly wide open for instance. Go punch a wall or something... Every game has it's own context... The goal is to win not to create style points or earn fantasy points... They just won their third road game of the year. 2 out of three of these places I know we had never won at. We beat a division rival on the road and pounded them by 20 points. How many points did you want to score today? They are 5-3 and learning how to win. They WON and it wan't a fluke or anything. WTF is wrong with you people? Seriously? Just enjoy the win!!!

It's not about running, it's about the other team knowing what we are going to do! :doh: :doh: :doh:

I've been a supporter of Hackett so far. I mostly blamed EJ's limitations, and then the Oline struggles, for our offensive problems. Unfortunately my mind has been changed. Orton is a lot more capable to make vertical plays and I think the Oline pass protected better today with Urbik in there.

Yet, going against the worst secondaries in the league and one of the best run defenses in the league, Hackett decides to run the ball twice as many times as pass when the game was still close. There is zero reason that game should have been that close going into the 3rd quarter, and if the Jets weren't shooting themselves in the foot so much they could have come back to win that game. A good team probably would have. It's pathetic to have as many 3-and-outs as we had, and it's pathetic to have to accept field goals on that many drives that start around mid-field.

Yes I'm happy we won, and yes I'm happy we blew out the Jets. But it was because of the defense that we did so. For a team that has such an atrocious run game right now, Hackett sure does call a lot of run plays. If you want to run a lot, fine. But mix it up a little. I bet if you looked up stats for runs up the middle the Bills probably have the worst yards per attempt in the entire league.

EXACTLY! :worthy: :worthy:

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

In the post game pressed it sounded like Marrone approved of the constant runs up the middle. It was just the blown assignments he was concerned about. If you run it that many times and can't break 60 yards, why stick with it?

This is scary. Blown assignments is a garbage excuse. The reason the assignments are blown is because we can't power run block.

I would love to get a really thorough explanation from either Marrone or Hackett as to why they keep sticking with certain play calls that obviously don't work again and again and again. I would really love to hear their honest reasoning for why they wouldn't try to move outside the box a little bit instead of doing the same thing again and again.

I have two words for those of you who want the Bills to stay aggressive when they have the lead: Mike Mullarkey.

Mike, or "Meathead" as he's affectionately known as, decided to get fancy while playing the Dolphins 21-0.

It's Football 101 for cripes sake. When you have a decent lead, you don't take unnecessary risks. How that isn't obvious boggles my mind.

No way. We're not asking for them to heave up prayers to the middle of the field for no reason when we're pinned deep. However, If you don't think there was anything wrong with the strategy or philosophy that we used offensively after multiple turnovers then I question your sanity. I don't normally get on the weekly playcalling ban but today was atrocious. Against a decent team we may lose that game. They were down a TD after half and we went 3 and out to start the second half. Luckily the D stepped up time and time again. This game should have been comfortable halfway through the 2nd and it wasn't. That worries me.

I am hating his inability to adjust to the game.

That being said, it'd be a mess if we fired him midway through the season and put someone else in there. I say we wait to fire him when the season is done.

To further, I don't really care if we run a lot or pass a lot. But I do think we should take advantage of what's given to us. The Jets showed serious weakness in their pass defense (other than the pass rush). And they were keying in on the run all day. I think we should have run a few more play action passes on 1st/2nd down, and would have taken advantage of more of the turnovers.

Edited by Dorkington

Observations: Bills 43 - Jets 23

By Joe Buscaglia

2981699.jpg?1414374680

It wasn’t always pretty for the Buffalo Bills. In fact, at times, it was damn near ugly... again.

But with only their fourth 5-3 start of the millennium on the line, they took advantage of the disinterested, unraveling and self-destructing New York Jets to assure a winning record through the first half of the season.

Even with as many things that went their way early on in the game, the Bills couldn’t seem to finish off the Jets. When push came to shove, the Bills at last clinched the 43-23 victory.

How did it all happen? Some observations from the Week Eight win:

Predictability and the R.R.P. theory

- In the NFL — especially on offense — it behooves head coaches to stay ahead of the curve and keep their opponents guessing while predictability in play calling is usually universally frowned upon. Against the Jets, the Bills really didn’t seem to care about how predictable they were being. Throughout the game, the Bills ran a sequence of run, run and pass on first, second and third down seven separate times. Of those seven times, five resulted in a fourth down. Another featured a defensive penalty that kept the drive alive, while the final of the seven was a touchdown after the first two runs. The Bills were playing with the lead the whole time, but it reeked of conservatism rather than burying the opponent while they were down. Quite simply, Buffalo was playing not to lose. Who does that fall on? Is it offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett? Is it head coach Doug Marrone? When you analyze both individuals, one should always err to the philosophies of the head coach. In more decisions than just play calling, Marrone has showed that he is one of more conservative head coaches in the NFL. To this point it has not backfired on the head coach, but if any common media member or fan can pick up on their tendencies with a lead, a head coach on a different team will do the same. The Bills were overthinking their approach in the second half to a large degree, mostly because the Jets’ secondary is atrocious and was waiting to be picked apart. The wasted possessions could have burned the Bills, but they got out of MetLife Stadium with the victory.

The running plays are not working primarily they don't have the talent in the trenches to pull it off. Wood is regressing and the guards are barely average. Running are one of the best run defenses in the NFL was not smart.

I didn't realize you had that 1 example ten years ago to make it so indisputable. I imagine no team has ever gotten too conservative and let a team hang around too long.

Is it certain that Hackett is still calling the plays?

I didn't see the entire game, but it seemed like every time they showed Marrone when the Bills were on offense, he was talking into his headset from behind his play sheet.

I think what bothers me most about Marrone/Hackett is that neither seem to have a feel for momentum. I may be wrong, but it seemed like after EVERY turnover they didn't want to capitalize on the momentum with a quick-strike, go for the jugular play and against the one of the worst secondaries in the game to boot. They are old school in many ways and jumping on a team after a turnover is as old school as it gets and they don't seem to want to take chances. Just little feel for the game.

Too many three and outs to say our offense is a contender in this league. We just aren't.

GO BILLS!!!

I think what bothers me most about Marrone/Hackett is that neither seem to have a feel for momentum. I may be wrong, but it seemed like after EVERY turnover they didn't want to capitalize on the momentum with a quick-strike, go for the jugular play and against the one of the worst secondaries in the game to boot. They are old school in many ways and jumping on a team after a turnover is as old school as it gets and they don't seem to want to take chances. Just little feel for the game.

Too many three and outs to say our offense is a contender in this league. We just aren't.

GO BILLS!!!

They probably didn't want to try to capitalize on a turnover and go for the jugular on first down right after it because they tried that once last week against the Vikings and it went for a TD to Watkins. You score too much like that, people will come to expect it.

GO BILLS!!!

I can't figure them out- maybe just overthinking things? Between the packages, the clock management, the personnel management, the play calling --- to steal a terrible phrase that I hate... It's like they are just lacking the "it factor"

THIS

I can't figure them out- maybe just overthinking things? Between the packages, the clock management, the personnel management, the play calling --- to steal a terrible phrase that I hate... It's like they are just lacking the "it factor"

And this

No way. We're not asking for them to heave up prayers to the middle of the field for no reason when we're pinned deep. However, If you don't think there was anything wrong with the strategy or philosophy that we used offensively after multiple turnovers then I question your sanity. I don't normally get on the weekly playcalling ban but today was atrocious. Against a decent team we may lose that game. They were down a TD after half and we went 3 and out to start the second half. Luckily the D stepped up time and time again. This game should have been comfortable halfway through the 2nd and it wasn't. That worries me.

And this too

So if I'm getting this right: because we scored off four turnovers and not six, getting us 20 points rather than 26 or 34, and because without turnovers we only managed 23 points...on the road...against a division opponent...to win...where we've never won before...by 20 points, Hackett sucks?

May be, just may be, in a game where the offense hangs 43 points going into the bye THERE WAS NO !@#$ING NEED TO CREATE TAPE ON ANY THING ELSE.

Not only and am I befuddled by the absence of ends in all this bitching about the means, I'm shocked that nobody can explain what the point in running [whatever !@#$ing plays you seem to think they should have] when WE DIDNT !@#$ING NEED TO.

There are eight games left on the schedule, one against each of our division opponents and and four against other teams from our conference.

If we can win by running it up the middle and having out defense shut them down, why make it easier for teams to scout every wrinkle we potentially offer?