Fire Hackett

That's the point. The defense will break down if the offense does not pick it up. You can't go 7 series in a row without a 1st down. You can't not a score a td until the 4th quarter. You can't barely hang on against the Vikes.

We have beat Cutler (turnover machine), Tannehill (inconsistent at best), Stafford (3 missed fgs, nothing special without Megatron), Bridgewater (rookie in his first road start), and Geno/ Vick (Dumb and Dumber). We lost to Rivers, Brady, and Fitz (bad loss).

We have Rodgers, Brady, and Peyton left. Our offensive gameplans leave our defense a very small margain for error. They will break down like they did against NE (and 22 points is not enough to win against a good team). IF we get 6 turnovers ever game and start inside the 50, that's fine. But we won't and they need to get better.

Definitely need to improve. But they were in a position to beat Brady. I don't think they are as far from being there as most do. I also understand that there's a reason those guys win 12 games every year.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too many obvious 2nd-down runs from obvious running packages IMO. The run/pass distribution on offense has been close to 50/50, so keeping teams guessing hasn't been as difficult. On 2nd down, just too many tendencies that show on game film IMO.

A good team (with a good OLine) tips its hand and still picks up tough yards. May be that's just the Pete Bell in me talking.

How much of the offense's sputtering can be attributed to the OLine?

I'm thinking somewhere in the range of 60-80% of the blame.

I'm thinking if we had Dallas' oline, we might be damn near 8-0.

If only they would hire a guy who has specialized in the offensive line. Perhaps one who is a former NFL lineman himself.

Definitely need to improve. But they were in a position to beat Brady. I don't think they are as far from being there as most do. I also understand that there's a reason those guys win 12 games every year.

I think if we switch QBs, we are better than the PAts. That's how good our roster is. But they have the advantage at QB and head coach, the two most important positions. But we are close and that's why people want better playcalling and execution.

If only they would hire a guy who has specialized in the offensive line. Perhaps one who is a former NFL lineman himself.

Marrone's specialty is with kickers and judging by Kid Rock Carperter, he is doing awesome.

This notion that Marrone "runs" the Oline is a very curious critique to me.

one would think it would be one of his strengths and a place he could contribute a bit extra. that its also one of the messiest position groups is a little bit odd.

one would think it would be one of his strengths and a place he could contribute a bit extra. that its also one of the messiest position groups is a little bit odd.

may be he contributes a "bit" extra. but i think his contributions are woefully overstated by those who'd rather draw the connection between his involvement and their shortcomings.

A good team (with a good OLine) tips its hand and still picks up tough yards. May be that's just the Pete Bell in me talking.

I hear what you're saying; I just happen to think it takes more than a "good" OL to do that consistently. Even the best of OLs still requires teams to mix it up, especially against defenses like Detroit and the Jets, who are built for stuffing the run.

Anyway, I had time to look into the first down runs as we discussed, here's what they look like:

@Chi - 2,5,6,4,5,6,47,4,4,3,1,5,-2,4,13,1,5 Avg - 6.6 (4.1 without the 47 yarder)

vs. Mia - 11,3,4,2,4,2,2,1,2,6,47,0,2,2,3,2 Avg - 5.8 (3.1 without the 47 yarder)

vs SD - 3,2,6,4,8,2,3 Avg - 4.0

@Hou - 2,5,4,0,22,1,7,1,9,3,7,8,2,3 Avg - 5.3 (4.0 without the 22 yarder)

@Det - 5,2,1,-8,-2,1,1,3,1 Avg 0.44

vs. NE - -3,5,1,2,4,3,15,0,4,-4 Avg - 2.7

vs. Min - 4,4,53,5,2,5,12,1,3 Avg - 9.9 (4.5 without the 53 yarder)

@NYJ - 6,1,3,3,4,1,1,4,5,1,4,-2,5,4 Avg - 2.9

Season average on first down: 4.87

Glean from that whatever you may.

Edited by thebandit27

Except for the fact that it got them 5 wins halfway through the season, so seems like it *could* be enough to get us 10 wins in a full season.

I think it's an acknowledged fact that the scheduling gods gave Bills an easier start than their finish.

I hear what you're saying; I just happen to think it takes more than a "good" OL to do that consistently. Even the best of OLs still requires teams to mix it up, especially against defenses like Detroit and the Jets, who are built for stuffing the run.

Anyway, I had time to look into the first down runs as we discussed, here's what they look like:

@Chi - 2,5,6,4,5,6,47,4,4,3,1,5,-2,4,13,1,5 Avg - 6.6 (4.1 without the 47 yarder)

vs. Mia - 11,3,4,2,4,2,2,1,2,6,47,0,2,2,3,2 Avg - 5.8 (3.1 without the 47 yarder)

vs SD - 3,2,6,4,8,2,3 Avg - 4.0

@Hou - 2,5,4,0,22,1,7,1,9,3,7,8,2,3 Avg - 5.3 (4.0 without the 22 yarder)

@Det - 5,2,1,-8,-2,1,1,3,1 Avg 0.44

vs. NE - -3,5,1,2,4,3,15,0,4,-4 Avg - 2.7

vs. Min - 4,4,53,5,2,5,12,1,3 Avg - 9.9 (2.9 without the 53 yarder)

@NYJ - 6,1,3,3,4,1,1,4,5,1,4,-2,5,4 Avg - 2.9

Season average on first down: 4.87

Glean from that whatever you may.

Any ideas why our run game has dropped significantly?

The Bills have been really poor on 2nd down. Which is troubling, because if you don't do well on 2nd down you have to come up with a good play on 3rd down. And that means you only have one chance left or it's 4th down. And if you happen to fumble or throw an interception on 1st down, the numbers are all skewed.

Bottom line -- stop taking 2nd down for granted.

may be he contributes a "bit" extra. but i think his contributions are woefully overstated by those who'd rather draw the connection between his involvement and their shortcomings.

the only association that I'd like to make, yet the most important one IMO, is that Marrone would be heavily involved in choosing his offensive lineman and in choosing who starts.

the fact that its a maybe irks me a little, as he SHOULD be more hands on with the group if thats something he is good at. given their shortcomings, and it being what we assume is his specialty -- i dont think its crazy to think he should be pretty hands on with them.

if it were the linebackers, for instance, you wouldnt expect marrone to be quite as insightful. or if they were a middle of the road group, they might not demand his attention. being a major flaw in his specialty, its easy to ask the questions about what hes doing (and probably fair to assume its an escalated amount of attention, even if you debate how much).

Any ideas why our run game has dropped significantly?

I generally attribute it to game-planning. You see tendencies on tape from the early part of the season and can more easily adjust. It's partly that, and it's partly losing Chris Williams, who was better in run blocking that many folks give him credit for IMO.

@NickelCityBills

8 vs 8 up the middle. 1 yard

B1C_TkCCAAIoMQi.jpg

:wallbash:

If Gragg doesn't get rocked back into the whole that actually looks like a solid running play...the crease is there.

I generally attribute it to game-planning. You see tendencies on tape from the early part of the season and can more easily adjust. It's partly that, and it's partly losing Chris Williams, who was better in run blocking that many folks give him credit for IMO.

If Gragg doesn't get rocked back into the whole that actually looks like a solid running play...the crease is there.

Therein lies the problem. All too often, there has been at least one missed blocking assignment on plays such as these. They simply have not been able to rely on the necessary execution to succeed in the run game on a regular basis.

Therein lies the problem. All too often, there has been at least one missed blocking assignment on plays such as these. They simply have not been able to rely on the necessary execution to succeed in the run game on a regular basis.

Doesn't it drive you crazy how thin the line is between "really well blocked play" and "totally blown up" in the NFL?

Jeff Russo@JeffRussoWKBW 51s51 seconds ago

RT @StepnerWKBW: #Bills offensive coordinator Nate Hackett on criticism of play calling from outside after Jets game: "I love it."

Frankly I agree with him. What we've been able to get out of our TE position in the last few weeks is great. I hope we can some game breaker type TE in the next few years and this offense could be amazing