Fire Hackett

I've got mixed feelings about this one. The conservative play-calling is getting rough to watch but when you look at the results.... I'm looking at 5-3 and hopeful of seeing January football involving Buffalo. We may not be the perfect but this team is getting better and tougher, especially the defense. Look how the offense has made it happen when they needed it like in the Vikings game.

Bingo - his play calling can be boring and hard to watch. You gotta look at the big picture though; the Bills are 5-3.

I'll take that over Chan and his exciting spread offence any day of the week .

Edited by ldandria

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the point. The defense will break down if the offense does not pick it up. You can't go 7 series in a row without a 1st down. You can't not a score a td until the 4th quarter. You can't barely hang on against the Vikes.

We have beat Cutler (turnover machine), Tannehill (inconsistent at best), Stafford (3 missed fgs, nothing special without Megatron), Bridgewater (rookie in his first road start), and Geno/ Vick (Dumb and Dumber). We lost to Rivers, Brady, and Fitz (bad loss).

We have Rodgers, Brady, and Peyton left. Our offensive gameplans leave our defense a very small margain for error. They will break down like they did against NE (and 22 points is not enough to win against a good team). IF we get 6 turnovers ever game and start inside the 50, that's fine. But we won't and they need to get better.

This is exactly how I feel.

The Bills defense is good enough to keep you in games against good teams for a while. But, the offense has to be able to move the chains and score or else the game will get out of hand anyway. You can't rely on turnovers to go your way as part of a game plan. You have to move the ball and score TD's.

If you asked Hackett about pandemics he'd say "I love it!" That's his answer for everything.

"Ebola? I LOVE IT! I LOVE the challenge - the possibility of being quarantined. Man, im EXCITED. BRING IT" said Hackett.

I've decided that Hackett runs what I'll refer to as a "Galipoli Offense."

For you history buffs out there, the Battle of Galipoli was a pointless and horribly-executed battle in WWI over a meaningless strip of peninsula on the coast of Turkey. The British officers in charge of the ill-fated mission kept running waves of poorly-trained and ill-equipped soldiers into well-fortified Turkish trenches, resulting in a horrific loss of life. They continued doing this despite the fact that it continued to fail, over and over again, until countless numbers of British, NZ, Australian and Indian troops were dead or wounded. (Needless to say, they did not succeed in securing the peninsula.)

Anyhow the Bills on second down seem to feature this maneuver.

HAHAHA

It's clear to me: you guys just don't like Doug Marrone and Nate Hackett.

It's just amazing to me that Marrone's teams win in SPITE of him according to many on these message boards.

"Marrone is in over his head. Hackett is awful."

The team is 5-3 and just came off a 20 point win on the road vs a division rival!

Well, that's the DEFENSE, and it's not Marrone's defense. As head coach, only the success or failure of the OFFENSE matters in evaluating him.

LOL

Oh, but Rex Ryan's downfall as head coach is that HIS OFFENSE has stunk for years! A head coach is responsible for the ENTIRE TEAM!!!

Just admit that you don't like Marrone and want to find any way to downplay anything positive that happens while he is coach.

Edited by TheFunPolice

It's just amazing to me that Marrone's teams win in SPITE of him according to many on these message boards.

The team is 5-3 and just came off a 20 point win on the road vs a division rival!

Well, that's the DEFENSE, and it's not Marrone's defense. As head coach, only the success or failure of the OFFENSE matters in evaluating him.

LOL

Oh, but Rex Ryan's downfall as head coach is that HIS OFFENSE has stunk for years! A head coach is responsible for the ENTIRE TEAM!!!

Just admit that you don't like Marrone and want to find any way to downplay anything positive that happens while he is coach.

Some of them originally loved Marrone until he benched EJ.

Marrone (to Hackett): "You're fired, okay?"

Hackett: "I love it! Looking forward to the challenge of my next gig! This is why I do this!"

Ok, so it's fun to pick on Hackett. Maybe I was a bit hasty before in criticizing those who do it!

Edited by TheFunPolice

Hack-it loves the criticism from the fans? Sounds awfully smug for a guy who is yet to prove himself and kind of disrespectful.

His explanation for his ineffective strategy, “I want to be able to run the ball and that’s something I push towards them because I think it creates a toughness with our guys” sounds like that of an ignoramus and not an offensive wiz kid.

Edited by Wiz

I can recall a 40 plus page thread defending Dick Jauron, and all the insanity of keeping Turk Schonert as OC right up until Ole Dickie fired him two weeks before the season opener. Then instead of reaching out to an experienced OC he promotes the QB coach again. Turk Schonert was the QB coach before Steve Fairchild left to be the HC at Colorado St, and Skeletor promoted him to OC.

Bills fans were defending Chan Gailey right up until GM Buddy Nix stated he is my guy in 2014, and beyond...and then shortly after he fired him.

The current offensive coaches are just plain bad, and to the current tune of #28 in the NFL bad. The O line after two off seasons is the worst in the NFL and mostly because two of the worst OG's in the league. How long should Marrone & Hackett get a pass? If not for Orton and HIS two last min drive heroics, and one with one second left on the game clock the Bills are 3-5.

I suppose some fans just feel the need to defend the stupid, and hapless coaches no matter who or why. Didn't George Edwards & Dave Wannstedt have their loyal supporters too?

Oh, and if Sammy Watkins can get 157 yards and a TD on only 3 catches, just think what he could have done if he caught 10. I just hope I don't have to see another year of these offensive clowns, and I also hope another team doesn't steal Schwartz.

Excellent post. The prevalent "it's ridiculous to talk about firing Hackett when we are 5-3" argument is evidence of how low the standards of Buffalo Bills fans have become. As you point out, it ignores the fact that, despite the record, the offense has performed below average and this will become a serious problem if it is not fixed. Furthermore, it might be hard for us to believe, but in some NFL cities, a 5-3 record is an indication that changes are needed, not cause for cracking open the champagne. Edited by mannc

Excellent post. The prevalent "it's ridiculous to talk about firing Hackett when we are 5-3" argument is evidence of how low the standards of Buffalo Bills fans have become. As you point out, it ignores the fact that, despite the record, the offense has performed below average and this will become a serious problem if it is not fixed. Furthermore, it might be hard for us to believe, but in some NFL cities, a 5-3 record is an indication that changes are needed, not cause for cracking open the champagne.

Lest everyone forget that the 2008 Buffalo Bills started out 5-1, and shortly after Jauron was a awarded a contract extension only to see the team go 2-8 after that. They finished that year at 7-9, and I highly doubt if you asked any Bills fan what record the team would finish that season with at the 5-1 mark, you would be crucified if you said anything other then playoffs. I put that seasons fall from grace squarely on the shoulders of their then offensive coordinator, rookie OC Turk Schonert. Who in 6 of those 8 loses didn't find a way to get the team to score more then 18 points, sound familiar?

Whats interesting is Nathaniel Hackett was an assistant with the Buffalo Bills in charge of offensive quality control from 2008-2009.

Then in 2011 the Bills started out 5-2 under Gailey, and it all went south once Eric Wood went on IR after week 9, against the Jets. Just like this year the Bills now have no backup plan for Wood, or Urbik, Pears, and should any go down for any amount of times its back to Richardson or worse. That year Fitz was also playing with broken ribs because Gailey didn't trust his backup QB's in Tyler Thigpen & Brad Smith. While the defense was also very bad that season, you could also say it might have been helped by an offense that couldn't stay on the field with a weak run game and to much passing. After week 9 in 2011 the Bills went on a 7 game losing slide, and a lot had to do with the offense falling on its face with not being able to score enough.

I'm not advocating firing Hackett at this point in time, as there really is nobody able to take over that I can see. Whaley needs to search high,and low to find an acceptable RG, and the team might have a better chance this year. Then what I would do is borrow from a different run game playbook, and start thinking of running something, anything other then up the middle on second down. Or here is a novel idea, to pass on second down. Find a way to get Sammy the ball on first, and second down, and there probably won't be a third down.

Now granted the Bills have a much better defense then in 2008 & 2011, and it is now a top ten unit. Still, if the offense can't find a way to more then 18 points without the multiple defensive turnovers they may be in deep trouble. Plus, I gotta wonder will the injury bug to the O line come back to bite them again, as they have no viable depth.

Lets hope the team figures things out during the bye week, and corrects some of the issues....unless they think that at 5-3 they must be doing something right!

Hackett is not as bad as people make him out to be on this board. He is trying to run a balanced attack with a QB who had no off season, or training camp to get his offense down.

I expect lots of running against the Chiefs as it is their weak spot vs. #1 against the pass. I do expect a much more fun passing attack though against the Dolphins, Jets, and Browns. We need a lot of momentum going into December with an offense playing as well as the defense. You'll see among the stats (not that I care as the only stat that matters is wins) our offense will move up each week for the next month.

Hackett is not as bad as people make him out to be on this board. He is trying to run a balanced attack with a QB who had no off season, or training camp to get his offense down.

I expect lots of running against the Chiefs as it is their weak spot vs. #1 against the pass. I do expect a much more fun passing attack though against the Dolphins, Jets, and Browns. We need a lot of momentum going into December with an offense playing as well as the defense. You'll see among the stats (not that I care as the only stat that matters is wins) our offense will move up each week for the next month.

That first sentence in making an excuse for Hackett makes it sound like the QB is a liability, and he is the opposite of that. In fact the QB in Kyle Orton is the biggest reason why the team is now 5-3, along with Sammy, and the defense. That is the QB is playing great despite the Bills OC, and his lame run plays.

Hackett is his own worst enemy as this season he is still using the run plays that were pretty much ineffective in getting first downs all last year, and that was with some excellent RB's in Fredex & CJ. Now both are out with injuries, and Hackett now has to make things work with RB Boobie Dixon, FB Frank Summers & RB Bryce Brown, along with untested RB Phillip Tanner.

The Chiefs currently are ranked #3 in total defense, and #1 in pass defense, and 11th in run defense. That's the bad news, and the good news is the Chiefs offense is ranked worse then Buffalo at 17th to KC ranked 27th. Kansas City is 31st in passing, and 7th in rushing. Buffalo is next to last in rushing first downs, and only Oakland is worse. The Bills are 18th in 3rd downs while KC is 6th because of their better run game.

The Bills run defense is going to tested big time by Jamaal Charles & Knile Davis.

The Bills defense is currently ranked 10th overall, 9th in rushing, 18th in passing. #4 in takaways, and the Bills are #1 in sacks with 28. The Chiefs are right there with 24.

LOL

Marrone doesn't bother me. Still just a huge question mark though.

NH bothers me - kill me for it. I think he's in over his head, yes. I think he's never really accomplished anything substantial in his career for me to think otherwise. I think if his name was Nathanial Williams he wouldn't be where he is today.

That being said, we're 1.5yrs into his time here and he can still evolve. But as of right now, NH is a liability. It's a message board, it's my opinion. That is all.

Marrone doesn't bother me. Still just a huge question mark though.

NH bothers me - kill me for it. I think he's in over his head, yes. I think he's never really accomplished anything substantial in his career for me to think otherwise. I think if his name was Nathanial Williams he wouldn't be where he is today.

That being said, we're 1.5yrs into his time here and he can still evolve. But as of right now, NH is a liability. It's a message board, it's my opinion. That is all.

I mean this kinda of sums it up for me. He seems like a good dude but face it. He's where he is because of his dad. Syracuse was a middle of the pack Big East offense. I've seen Spiller, Mike Williams, and even a guy like Glenn play at much higher levels. So either most offensive players are regressing or it's coaching.

We get too high and too low after every game. It seems crazy to complain after 43 points but it's a week after struggling to score 17. This offense has some holes and it's tough to believe in a guy who really hasn't run a successful offense on any level. He is here for the season so hopefully it improves.

Sully article in the BN today...

http://www.buffalone...ighted-20141027

His comparison of the bills to SD is laughable. Just because their RB was stuffed it doesn't mean that their offense was predictable. Far from it; they had rivers taking shots all game, including well into the 4th Qtr and with a 10-PT lead.

I am fine sticking with the run, but we can't do so in a way that puts us in 3rd and 12 all game.

His comparison of the bills to SD is laughable. Just because their RB was stuffed it doesn't mean that their offense was predictable. Far from it; they had rivers taking shots all game, including well into the 4th Qtr and with a 10-PT lead.

I am fine sticking with the run, but we can't do so in a way that puts us in 3rd and 12 all game.

Is it laughable because it doesn't match your opinion. The Bills ran a version of run, run, pass on 1st, 2nd, 3rd down 7 times in the Jest game. The Chargers ran a version of run, run, pass on 1st, 2nd, 3rd down.... wait for it.... 7 times in the Bills game. The Chargers also ran a run, run, run 2 times. I'd call that pretty predictable. And Rivers only went deep once, which was incomplete. He threw short on every single pass in the 2nd half except that one deep one.

Oh and the Chargers also didn't pick up a first down the entire 4th quarter with 4 possesions. The Bills had 5 possessions in the 4th quarter and were only down 10 pts. Why didn't the Chargers step on their throat? Why did they do the predictable run, run, pass?

Perception isn't reality sometimes, no?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400554195&period=3

Is it laughable because it doesn't match your opinion. The Bills ran a version of run, run, pass on 1st, 2nd, 3rd down 7 times in the Jest game. The Chargers ran a version of run, run, pass on 1st, 2nd, 3rd down.... wait for it.... 7 times in the Bills game. The Chargers also ran a run, run, run 2 times. I'd call that pretty predictable. And Rivers only went deep once, which was incomplete. He threw short on every single pass in the 2nd half except that one deep one.

Oh and the Chargers also didn't pick up a first down the entire 4th quarter with 4 possesions. The Bills had 5 possessions in the 4th quarter and were only down 10 pts. Why didn't the Chargers step on their throat? Why did they do the predictable run, run, pass?

Perception isn't reality sometimes, no?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400554195&period=3

Fire Reich!

LOL

ive long been on the fence with marrone - and teeter back and forth a bit. Lets not act like bad coaches have never had a 5-3 half of a season.