Fire Hackett

Hack-it loves the criticism from the fans? Sounds awfully smug for a guy who is yet to prove himself and kind of disrespectful.

His explanation for his ineffective strategy, “I want to be able to run the ball and that’s something I push towards them because I think it creates a toughness with our guys” sounds like that of an ignoramus and not an offensive wiz kid.

What answer would you give to satiate everyone?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fire Reich!

LOL I get the sarcasm. McCoy and Reich pumped life back into the SD offense after it started sputtering a bit (for their standards).

One area I admire an offense like SD is how they're able to utilize Danny Woodhead (when he was healthy) in their offense. That little runt is an elite player when utilized in the passing game.

LOL I get the sarcasm. McCoy and Reich pumped life back into the SD offense after it started sputtering a bit (for their standards).

One area I admire an offense like SD is how they're able to utilize Danny Woodhead (when he was healthy) in their offense. That little runt is an elite player when utilized in the passing game.

It's because Woodhead is a superior talent to Spiller. If the Bilsl had Woodhead, NH would be using him to his full potential. Run up the middle.

Bills' Hackett unfazed by his critics

Bring it on.

That, in a nutshell, is Bills' offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett's response to the criticism he has received most of this year, but particularly lately.

"I love it; I love it," the energetic Hackett said Tuesday with a defiance that almost seemed as if he was daring the fans and media to keep piling on. "It's a challenge. You win by 20 points, you score 43 points, I think we had five offensive touchdowns. I want more, too. I hope everybody does (criticize) because why else are we doing this stuff? I love it."

the Bills have a winning record, the team is 3-1 in their last 4 games and everyone hates Hackett!!!!

watch out the irony will hit you in the face

its the first "quarter season" out of 6 that weve had a winning record (dont get me wrong, i get the challenges last year), and now were not allowed to question anything. much more rational.

Edited by NoSaint

Ya know, I might see things differently if Hackett's run game was actually effective the last two years besides in just a few a few games. I wouldn't be as concerned if the Bills had shown the ability to run in most every game like they did last year against Kansas City Chiefs in week 9. With 38 rushes for 248 yards the Bills were dominating that Chiefs vaunted high ranking defense...all the way up until Hackett got cute with Tuel. Then he went pass happy, but that is another story.

The point here is despite the Bills leading the NFL in rushing attempts, and #2 in yards rushing last season, it didn't matter because the Bills couldn't effectively control either the line of scrimmage or the clock. The Bills were near last in 3 downs, and out because they couldn't gain first downs by rushing. They couldn't convert many 3rd downs in third, and long by passing because of all the rookie QB's. Hackett's offense was so bad he garnered the nickname "Hurry up and punt offense".

The problem with the offense is the exact same thing that was the problem last year, and it was with two lousy OG's, and a lousy RT. Now this year they are having problems because they didn't upgrade the OG positions properly. Does anyone else recall what Morrone stated after last season about the run game? He said, " we must be doing something right to be #2 in the NFL". So in effect, he doesn't get it either.

Fire Reich!

Comparing the Bills to what the Chargers did in one game is kind of silly considering their run actually game works against other teams despite them being without their two starting RB's. Just because they kept running against Buffalo and it wasn't working doesn't mean that its ok to do that every week. The Chargers keep running the ball because they run a lot of play action passing, and running actually sets that up.

I don't know if the offense is bad. I do know that the execution is bad. Most of the time when I'm watching the All-22 I can see exactly who is making the mistake that's blowing up an individual play. That's generally the difference in the NFL. Teams like NE and Denver minimize those things while teams like the JETS and BILLS don't. More games in the NFL are lost than won.

It's because Woodhead is a superior talent to Spiller. If the Bills had Woodhead, NH would be using him to his full potential. Run up the middle.

Didn't Spiller have his biggest year running up the middle between the tackles? Pretty sure I had read that in a couple articles and seems like a criticism that comes up constantly...

Coach can't hit the holes for him (of course, our O line can't really OPEN the holes for him either, soooo).

Ya know, I might see things differently if Hackett's run game was actually effective the last two years besides in just a few a few games. I wouldn't be as concerned if the Bills had shown the ability to run in most every game like they did last year against Kansas City Chiefs in week 9. With 38 rushes for 248 yards the Bills were dominating that Chiefs vaunted high ranking defense...all the way up until Hackett got cute with Tuel. Then he went pass happy, but that is another story.

The point here is despite the Bills leading the NFL in rushing attempts, and #2 in yards rushing last season, it didn't matter because the Bills couldn't effectively control either the line of scrimmage or the clock. The Bills were near last in 3 downs, and out because they couldn't gain first downs by rushing. They couldn't convert many 3rd downs in third, and long by passing because of all the rookie QB's. Hackett's offense was so bad he garnered the nickname "Hurry up and punt offense".

The problem with the offense is the exact same thing that was the problem last year, and it was with two lousy OG's, and a lousy RT. Now this year they are having problems because they didn't upgrade the OG positions properly. Does anyone else recall what Morrone stated after last season about the run game? He said, " we must be doing something right to be #2 in the NFL". So in effect, he doesn't get it either.

Comparing the Bills to what the Chargers did in one game is kind of silly considering their run actually game works against other teams despite them being without their two starting RB's. Just because they kept running against Buffalo and it wasn't working doesn't mean that its ok to do that every week. The Chargers keep running the ball because they run a lot of play action passing, and running actually sets that up.

Maybe we can get Jake Mathews as our next OC.

Im going to move this post over here from one of the other less interesting hackett threads. i think its a good way to illustrate where my concern is coming from:

ill be honest, itll come off wishy washy coming from me because ive been on both sides of the scoring debate this year but as far as TD drives...

Chicago - 1 long drive, 1 drive starting inside the 10

Miami - 1 long drive, 1 kick return

San Diego - 1 long drive

Houston- 1 long drive (starting on the 49, but 8 plays), 1 80 yard single play bomb

Detroit - 1 long drive

New England - 3 nice drives

Vikes - 1 long drive, 1 single play 26 yard td

this week, the long opening drive, a 1 yard 1 play, the sammy bomb that we had to finish off (not sure what to chalk that up as), 3 plays for 14 yards, and the long sammy play

we havent shown that we can put together more than one extended TD march in a game yet (edit - missed NE). i know you dont see many teams putting up 3-4 80 yard 10 play drives every week, but.... maybe we are a team that can rely on turnovers and a random explosive play or 2 and just lean on our defense. if we are going further than wildcard weekend id feel a lot better about some consistency instead on the boom or bust though.

EDIT: Ooops.... skipped New England, inadvertently and they did have 3 nice scoring drives there.

Edited by NoSaint

the Bills have a winning record, the team is 3-1 in their last 4 games and everyone hates Hackett!!!!

watch out the irony will hit you in the face

Remember in 2008 when Dick Jauron went 5-1?

Remember in 2011 when Chan Gailey went 5-2?

The spot they are in right now only means that they are more in control of their destiny than they would be at 3-5. It's what they do with this second half of the season that matters.

If this is a real change of culture, we're going to see a Bills team that doesn't flinch down the stretch. They have some winnable games before a tough December. They are probably going to have to steal a win in December to make the playoffs. It's doable, but anyone who is truly happy with where they are is crazy. And I'll even say that EJ's game against Houston - while it proved that he wasn't ready and led to the positive developments under Orton - may end up costing the team.

i caught it after, but decided to leave it.... the point stands, even if not in reply to you directly.

NP :beer:

The spot they are in right now only means that they are more in control of their destiny than they would be at 3-5. It's what they do with this second half of the season that matters.

If this is a real change of culture, we're going to see a Bills team that doesn't flinch down the stretch. They have some winnable games before a tough December. They are probably going to have to steal a win in December to make the playoffs. It's doable, but anyone who is truly happy with where they are is crazy. And I'll even say that EJ's game against Houston - while it proved that he wasn't ready and led to the positive developments under Orton - may end up costing the team.

Sorry, but my inability to ignore the trolls leads me astray sometimes. I have tried to make that point a number of times.

over the past 14 years 5-3 means nothing when you have 8 games left to go. 95% of the time I will pick the team to win week to week but I still know that until they cross that hump there will always be doubt.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Oh and the Chargers also didn't pick up a first down the entire 4th quarter with 4 possesions. The Bills had 5 possessions in the 4th quarter and were only down 10 pts. Why didn't the Chargers step on their throat? Why did they do the predictable run, run, pass?

Perception isn't reality sometimes, no?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playbyplay?gameId=400554195&period=3

Maybe because the Bills don't have gaping holes in their secondary and have the most sacks and turnovers in the league. And they didn't get 6 turnovers themselves. The jets have exactly one INT the entire season. There was a good reason to not risk throwing more.

Make sure you're one of the first to tell us we're gonna suck.

Make sure you're one of the first to tell us we're gonna suck.

That ain't me, babe. Hell, I was in the "give EJ more chances" pool until it became obvious that that was a terrible idea.

I want to be optimistic. I'm just saying that I need more proof. I've been burned by the Bills too many times not to be skeptical. They are going to have to take better advantage of their chances against better teams. This is obvious, no?