Shad Khan criticizes the Bills game day experience??? WTF???

Beerball

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The thing is, when he talks about "fan experience" he's not talking about the game day experience that you are I are talking about. He's not talking about the tailgating or the raucus crowd or screaming until you lose your voice. He is talking about making money. He is looking for things that the owners can charge you for at the stadium to maximize their profits. So everyone sniping about the half empty stadium or Khan's stupidity, while you are correct, you are off base. The new stadium is not really about giving you more fun at the game, its about adding more things that they can charge money for. It will happen, so you should probably get onboard.

Ding, ding, ding, ding...we have a winner.

I've been to games in 7 NFL venues: Cotton Bowl, Texas Stadium (original), Houston Reliant, NO Super Dome, Seattle, Detroit (SB XL), and the Ralph.

The Ralph is by far the best. Texas Stadium during the 70s - 80s Cowboys heydey was pretty sweet. However the game presentation and fans at the Ralph are amazing. The Shout Song thing is brilliant. After a Bills score the whole crowd stands up and sings the song. Then after the song is over it's time for the kickoff. Never seen anything like that anywhere else. In Seattle, after a TD they play commercials on the Jumbotron. How lame is that?

Watching a football game in an indoor stadium feels so artificial and just not right.

And fans at the Ralph you can tell are real fans and have been for a while. In Seattle everyone is in Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, or BeastMode jerseys. When I used to go to game there around 2005 - 2007, it was all Matt Hasselbeck and Shaun Alexander. At the Ralph I see all kinds of old jerseys. Even guys who were flops and left on inauspicious circumstances like McGahee, Trent, and Whitner. I even saw a guy in a Scott Norwood jersey last game I went to. I was trying to think of the most obscure jersey I have that I could wear to a game. Quinn Early I though. There was a guy in my section in a Qunn jersey.

And just the sheer number of fans at a game for a team that hasn't even had a winning season in 9 years.

I don't' want a new stadium. I go to watch football, not admire fine art work.

The Ralph is right!

Edited by reddogblitz

I've been to games in 7 NFL venues: Cotton Bowl, Texas Stadium (original), Houston Reliant, NO Super Dome, Seattle, Detroit (SB SL), and the Ralph.

The Ralph is by far the best.

The Ralph is right!

I've been to about a dozen NFL venues outside of Buffalo. More than half of those are now gone. Hell, I've been to two IN Buffalo, and one is gone. (I'm probably around the triple digit mark in Buffalo according to some quick math but so far away now.) That makes me old, and shows a trend. I love the Ralph for a game, and I'll come back for games before it's gone. Don't fool yourself, it's almost certain to go away.

A guy can dream, can't he ??

Please know I will never be the one to tell you not to dream!

And forgive me if at some point I tell you that you're crazy, but that's just a hypothetical.

:-)

Edited by Augie

New Stadium = Higher Prices.

Long live the Ralph.

I agree, don't get me wrong. This is what we all hoped would happen, but the cost basis just went from $25,000 to $1,400,000,000. That's a lot more zeros. It will be more expensive. We just have to be thankful it was the Pegula's and not someone else. This is the best case realistic scenario, let's not get greedy.

He owns the Jags ferchrissakes and he's bragging about his game day experience in Jacksonville? Doesn't the NFL understand that there are two ingredients and only two ingredients necessary for an outstanding game day experience. They are a team and real, committed football fans. If you're going to a game to see the huge video boards or watch whales swim in the sideline pool then you aren't a fan.

Does Buffalo need a new stadium? Meh. The Ralph for its age has never bothered me one iota & I feel it's a great place to watch a football game. If a new stadium is built I'm OK with that too because everybody wants something new and shiny, but it's not a must have for me.

http://www.buffalone...two-bills-drive

buffalo is old school. that's all. totally old school. leave it alone. who cares what some guy from jacksonville thinks. buffalo is beer drinkin trash talkin HS educated football watchin folks. just because the rest of the league actually got beyond 1973 is besides the point. the stands are full and the team is staying,singin the same old silly song, regardless of what the other owners want-- they have no say now that the sale is over. I hope the ralph stands for another 20 years just to spite those guys. some much fun it would be... billion dollar wine soaked stadiums surrounding little old ralph wilson stadium with a bunch of 50 something high schoolers drinkin budweiser and old vienna .... i love it. let it be. totally one of a kind. the land that time forgot. some thing to be said for that. go bills.

Kahn is a arrogant donkey but he speaks the truth. The Ralph is old. No matter how much money you put in face lifts, it is still old. It is a good stadium and design but the one thing wrong with it and has been a problem since day one is its location. NFL wants stadiums like Lucas Oil in Indy. Close to hotels, restaurants and entertainment. The Pegulas will have a chance to build a signature stadium that will be part of the downtown Renaissance. Until then the fans will have to listen to guys like Kahn.

Kahn is a arrogant donkey but he speaks the truth. The Ralph is old. No matter how much money you put in face lifts, it is still old. It is a good stadium and design but the one thing wrong with it and has been a problem since day one is its location. NFL wants stadiums like Lucas Oil in Indy. Close to hotels, restaurants and entertainment. The Pegulas will have a chance to build a signature stadium that will be part of the downtown Renaissance. Until then the fans will have to listen to guys like Kahn.

How come Chicago, Green Bay, and KC have old stadiums and don't have to replace them?

I hope Terry Pegula, now that he is an approved owner tells the NFL to pound sand and stands pat on the Ralph. I don't think there's anyway the NFL can MAKE him build a new stadium. If I'm wrong, please enlighten me.

In terms of the stadium conversation I love the Ralph and have SO many great memories there. With that being said they need a new stadium. A facelift will not work. The Bills are currently forgoing so many revenue opportunities that other teams are capitalizing on. You have seen them try to narrow this chasm this year with the new bar, more efficient and better concessions. There is so much money spent before the game that the Bills would love to get a piece of as other teams have.

Most importantly though is that the stadium needs to be "rescaled" and that just can't be done at the Ralph. The Bills charge a fraction of the norm in the league and NEED to close that gap. They can't simply raise prices by 50% or even gradually without losing a large segment of their season ticket holders. A new stadium affords them the opportunity to offer varying tiers of pricing and amenities associated with them. People feel a sense of ownership with "their seats" and rarely downgrade, they just quit. A new stadium offers the cover to make those changes without the attrition because no one "owns" a particular seat. We used to call it "right sizing." You need to be able to move high end inventory and then backfill everywhere else. That is the name of the game.

Before anyone chimes in with the "club seats aren't all sold" that is because there is a viable alternative (midfield 20 rows up) for 1/3 to 1/4 of the price. The benefits offered aren't worth that difference to many. The best seats in the building need to be priced accordingly. There will be affordable options for everyone to attend but there will be more pricing tiers and benefits associated with them.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The thing is, when he talks about "fan experience" he's not talking about the game day experience that you are I are talking about. He's not talking about the tailgating or the raucus crowd or screaming until you lose your voice. He is talking about making money. He is looking for things that the owners can charge you for at the stadium to maximize their profits.

Exactly!

This is about the league enforcing expectations about what a team is supposed to get from its community. If Buffalo gets away without a new stadium every 30 years, and comfy suites for the visitors, other teams and cities won't feel like they have to provide them either.

True. Sadly, this is the real purpose of his comments. It is all about the rich wanting to get richer at our expense.

I am not opposed to a new stadium. The only thing that worries me is the potential for skyrocketing ticket prices and PSLs.

There may be PSLs and there will certainly be higher priced tickets but not everywhere. No one will be sitting 20 rows about at the 50 for $70 a game anymore (or whatever it is). With that being said there will be tickets as cheap as probably $45 a game (based on today's value of the $). There will probably be lower level seats as cheap as $70. The prime seats however will be more reflective of market value (my guess is about $200 a game).

He owns the Jags ferchrissakes and he's bragging about his game day experience in Jacksonville? Doesn't the NFL understand that there are two ingredients and only two ingredients necessary for an outstanding game day experience. They are a team and real, committed football fans. If you're going to a game to see the huge video boards or watch whales swim in the sideline pool then you aren't a fan.

Does Buffalo need a new stadium? Meh. The Ralph for its age has never bothered me one iota & I feel it's a great place to watch a football game. If a new stadium is built I'm OK with that too because everybody wants something new and shiny, but it's not a must have for me.

http://www.buffalone...two-bills-drive

Maybe his Piss-Poor product on the field is just not that important to him, so he invests a lot of energy in side show freaks, and clown acts to keep the 38,000 attendees happy...

He's just jealous in reality, just walk through the tunnels to your seats and tell me you don't feel like Jim Kelly in those NFL films making his way to the battle field, it sends chills down my spine just typing this. Ralph Wilson Stadium has always been the best venue from a fan perspective, I've been to more than a dozen other stadiums and they pale in comparison. The worst place I've seen a game? Dallas. It's like walking through a mall that just happens to have a game going on. lame beyond the term lame.

The RAlph has always been a great place to see a game, but for the life of me, I can't see what the F they spent $130 million on besides making the place a fortification.

Because they have to play there for ten more seasons, duh. Did you forget about the sewer rupture during the last SD game? A lot of that money went to fixing structural issues. It wasn't just a coat of paint.

Maybe his Piss-Poor product on the field is just not that important to him, so he invests a lot of energy in side show freaks, and clown acts to keep the 38,000 attendees happy...

He's just jealous in reality, just walk through the tunnels to your seats and tell me you don't feel like Jim Kelly in those NFL films making his way to the battle field, it sends chills down my spine just typing this. Ralph Wilson Stadium has always been the best venue from a fan perspective, I've been to more than a dozen other stadiums and they pale in comparison. The worst place I've seen a game? Dallas. It's like walking through a mall that just happens to have a game going on. lame beyond the term lame.

I call RWS the Temple of Football, and game day Sundays are how I practice my religion.

How come Chicago, Green Bay, and KC have old stadiums and don't have to replace them?

I hope Terry Pegula, now that he is an approved owner tells the NFL to pound sand and stands pat on the Ralph. I don't think there's anyway the NFL can MAKE him build a new stadium. If I'm wrong, please enlighten me.

Soldier field, Lambeau field, and Arrowhead stadium all underwent extensive renovation instead of being replaced. The option was available to the Bills but would have added 250-300 Mil $ to the cost. The county executive said no. So essentially he spent 130 Mil on a temporary band-aid that did not fix the issues with RWS. The big issue is its far flung location. Obviously that is not fixable. All those stadiums have been brought up to modern standards, a huge part of Arrowhead is a completely new structure. The bears had to play at the university of Illinois during the renovations of Soldier field. Green Bay is unique in their community ownership , that for the millionth time, will NEVER happen anywhere else. 99% of Nfl stadiums are new or extensively renovated. The Ralph is one of just a handful. So get used to it, the Pegulas are aware of the need for a new ( downtown) stadium for the Bills. That's part of the reason their approval by other owners took all of a minute. The question should be why the county exec chose to wast 130 mil now instead of renovate. That pretty much guaranteed a new stadium will be needed. He probably knows this and just wants to give the appearance of playing hardball in negotiations. The more complete renovation would still not have moved the Ralph from the middle of nowhere.

The RAlph has always been a great place to see a game, but for the life of me, I can't see what the F they spent $130 million on besides making the place a fortification.

Construction of two new buildings.

Massive overhauls to the entrance gates, concourse, concession stands, and restrooms.

The dispersal of more than three million linear feet of cable.

More than 1,000 truckloads of demolition debris to be hauled away.

42 tractor-trailer trucks filled with kitchen and bathroom equipment to be installed.

Approximately 5 million pounds of steel, 10,000 cubic yards of concrete, and 50,000 cubic yards of stone being set into place.

The new main high-definition scoreboard will remain at the west end, but now the entire panel is devoted to video and will measure 33 feet high by 165 feet wide. At the East end, two new video boards (33 feet high by 60 feet wide) will sit atop the club seat buildings. One will mirror the main board, while the other will be devoted to out of town games and statistics. A main digital advertising board will sit atop the old administration building and measure 14 feet high by 191 feet wide.

The first floor of the administration building has been turned into a sports bar that will be accessible to all fans from the concourse. In keeping with assisting fantasy football players, the wireless accessibility throughout the stadium will be enhanced.

Every concession stand has been gutted, expanded and modernized and the number is increasing from 38 to 43. A new point of sale system will allow for credit card purchases throughout the stadium. In addition to several new vendors — one being Duff's Famous Wings, a legendary Buffalo brand — there will be 55 "beer only" service points, which should greatly improve wait times.

Almost all of the restrooms are either going to be new or updated, with about 1,000 general public toilet fixtures now available, an 8.7 percent increase.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/story/sports/football/nfl/bills/2014/03/29/ralph-wilson-stadium-undergoes-massive-renovation/7063249/

Edited by papazoid

There may be PSLs and there will certainly be higher priced tickets but not everywhere. No one will be sitting 20 rows about at the 50 for $70 a game anymore (or whatever it is). With that being said there will be tickets as cheap as probably $45 a game (based on today's value of the $). There will probably be lower level seats as cheap as $70. The prime seats however will be more reflective of market value (my guess is about $200 a game).

Right. Tickets at RWS are the least expensive in the league. That will change. There are plenty of folks in the area that will pay market rate for the best seats, especially in a retractable roof type facility. This team is going to catch up to the modern age, no sense in denying it.

Soldier field, Lambeau field, and Arrowhead stadium all underwent extensive renovation instead of being replaced. The option was available to the Bills but would have added 250-300 Mil $ to the cost. The county executive said no. So essentially he spent 130 Mil on a temporary band-aid that did not fix the issues with RWS. The big issue is its far flung location. Obviously that is not fixable. All those stadiums have been brought up to modern standards, a huge part of Arrowhead is a completely new structure. The bears had to play at the university of Illinois during the renovations of Soldier field. Green Bay is unique in their community ownership , that for the millionth time, will NEVER happen anywhere else. 99% of Nfl stadiums are new or extensively renovated. The Ralph is one of just a handful. So get used to it, the Pegulas are aware of the need for a new ( downtown) stadium for the Bills. That's part of the reason their approval by other owners took all of a minute. The question should be why the county exec chose to wast 130 mil now instead of renovate. That pretty much guaranteed a new stadium will be needed. He probably knows this and just wants to give the appearance of playing hardball in negotiations. The more complete renovation would still not have moved the Ralph from the middle of nowhere.

That's probably the most concise and well thought out comment I have read on the stadium issue ever written on this board.... I agree completely too, but I need to go lie down for a while, I wasn't expecting logic on this board before my second cup of coffee!

Because they have to play there for ten more seasons, duh. Did you forget about the sewer rupture during the last SD game? A lot of that money went to fixing structural issues. It wasn't just a coat of paint.

I call RWS the Temple of Football, and game day Sundays are how I practice my religion.

It really is my favorite place to watch a game, and I really think I'd say that even if I wasn't a Bills fan...

I am not opposed to a new stadium. The only thing that worries me is the potential for skyrocketing ticket prices and PSLs.

I can see a 10% increase in ticket prices next year. Look @ the demand for tickets now and what people are willing to pay. As far as a new stadium Erie county won't have the $$$$$ They don't have $$$ to fix the bridges.

I can see a 10% increase in ticket prices next year. Look @ the demand for tickets now and what people are willing to pay. As far as a new stadium Erie county won't have the $$$$$ They don't have $$$ to fix the bridges.

The stadium will get done, as these things tend to. Probably a combination of State, private, and county $, but it will get done. No teams get new stadiums with just county $$ anymore. The cost is just too great. RWS has outlasted many others , but its time has come and gone. It will take years to get it built, though.

Really we can not just ignore him or make jokes of guys like Kahn? This is like the Emperor's New Clothes, no one really has gumption to call out the Emperor as clothes-less. Too bad no one like Ralph is around who would say like he did with NFL-NFLPA contract - I do not understand, we can not fill current boxes, have very few corporate advertisers and need to keep prices low to sell out so how is a new stadium with PSLs and higher prices going to be filled unless goal is to fill the seats with visiting team fans?

.99% of Nfl stadiums are new or extensively renovated.

Did you fail math class? How can you get 99% when you divide by 32?

Really we can not just ignore him or make jokes of guys like Kahn? This is like the Emperor's New Clothes, no one really has gumption to call out the Emperor as clothes-less. Too bad no one like Ralph is around who would say like he did with NFL-NFLPA contract - I do not understand, we can not fill current boxes, have very few corporate advertisers and need to keep prices low to sell out so how is a new stadium with PSLs and higher prices going to be filled unless goal is to fill the seats with visiting team fans?

Math is an imperfect science. Like psychology, scientology or physics.

Settle down there.. Just meant as an expression , not an exact % ok? As for the stadium, yes it will sell out, and with higher prices. The equation is like this : fewer seats= less supply, hence creating demand. Current structure has too many seats. Higher prices overall, especially for the best seats in the house ( not club seats but in the lower bowl between the 30' s) which are currently sold at prices below what the market will bear. Just check prices on stubhub for these seats vs face value. The best seats in a new facility will be priced accordingly and will sell, just to a customer whose payment goes entirely to the Bills, not one who offsets his season tix price by reselling some games ( probably to opposing fans like those of the Pats who can't get tix to a home game). You know, the guy who has primo seats because he took over Dads account from 1973? Sure, some of those guys will pay higher freight, but many won't . And a new customer that fits the current NFL demographic will gladly take them, at a much higher cost. So a new retractable roof, multi use facility with about 65000 seats will sell out, the Bills will just be putting a different customer in the seats. One that has deeper pockets, but now stays away due to freezing temps and obnoxious drunks buying bargain priced tickets to historically slow selling late season games. That is the new business model for the Bills.

I've been to games in 7 NFL venues: Cotton Bowl, Texas Stadium (original), Houston Reliant, NO Super Dome, Seattle, Detroit (SB XL), and the Ralph.

The Ralph is by far the best. Texas Stadium during the 70s - 80s Cowboys heydey was pretty sweet. However the game presentation and fans at the Ralph are amazing. The Shout Song thing is brilliant. After a Bills score the whole crowd stands up and sings the song. Then after the song is over it's time for the kickoff. Never seen anything like that anywhere else. In Seattle, after a TD they play commercials on the Jumbotron. How lame is that?

Watching a football game in an indoor stadium feels so artificial and just not right.

And fans at the Ralph you can tell are real fans and have been for a while. In Seattle everyone is in Russell Wilson, Richard Sherman, or BeastMode jerseys. When I used to go to game there around 2005 - 2007, it was all Matt Hasselbeck and Shaun Alexander. At the Ralph I see all kinds of old jerseys. Even guys who were flops and left on inauspicious circumstances like McGahee, Trent, and Whitner. I even saw a guy in a Scott Norwood jersey last game I went to. I was trying to think of the most obscure jersey I have that I could wear to a game. Quinn Early I though. There was a guy in my section in a Qunn jersey.

And just the sheer number of fans at a game for a team that hasn't even had a winning season in 9 years.

I don't' want a new stadium. I go to watch football, not admire fine art work.

The Ralph is right!

My brother has a Norwood jersey he wears it when we go to Miami, it tends to temper the dol-fans around us...

Game day experience : puke, drunks,violence and ..... OH did I say drunks. I will watch at home .

This would be much different than the games that I went to I found the other fans friendly and never ran into any of those problems. Attending a game is something is one

of the things that I really enjoy in life.