NFL believes it’s 12-24 months away from a return to L.A.

The Dean

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think LA and San Antonio are next for teams. Just read an article stating that citizens of San Antonio were given a survey asking if they would like an NFL team in the proximity. Oak--->San Antonio and then STL becomes LA would be my guess.

Think Jacksonville stays, Khan seems committed to making it work over there. Wonder if Oklahoma City would be a possible destination for a team in the future, anyone from around those parts?

But yeah 2 teams being moved to LA sounds way too risky considering their track record, seems almost stupid.

For movement to be that soon Kroenke has to have things moving behind the scenes for a privately funded stadium in Inglewood. NFL has repeatedly said they wont approve a move to LA without a firm stadium plan in place. Building doesnt have to exist yet, but there has to be dry ink and money in place. I think the Raiders move to Santa Clara and share that stadium as tenants. San Diego and St. Louis will be the teams in LA. Then San Diego will become the market NFL owners toss around for a decade or so.

Gotta beleive league would like to put the Super Bowl back in LA. Pasadena's a crap venue and there's nothing else there even close to viable. Put a Jerruh style building there and LA is back in the rotation.

Edited by DJasper Probincrux III

I think LA and San Antonio are next for teams. Just read an article stating that citizens of San Antonio were given a survey asking if they would like an NFL team in the proximity. Oak--->San Antonio and then STL becomes LA would be my guess.

Think Jacksonville stays, Khan seems committed to making it work over there. Wonder if Oklahoma City would be a possible destination for a team in the future, anyone from around those parts?

But yeah 2 teams being moved to LA sounds way too risky considering their track record, seems almost stupid.

Khan's biding his time to take that team to London. If the league puts anyone else there it would then force the league to change ownership rules or Khan would have to sell Fulham FC to keep the Jags. That's not going to happen. Fulham was worth almost $400M when he bought them a couple years ago. That value hasn't decreased as BPL revenues have risen and Fulham expanded their stadium. What will be interesting to see is if the NFL tries to get the Jags into Wembley right off the bat risking lots of emptyness or if they play at the now expanded/remodeled Craven Cottage. It now seats 30k and that's obviously below NFL standard but to be the first international team I could see the league bending that rule for awhile to have a full bldg and build some local loyalty/buzz.. The next logical step would be to build a new stadium for both Fulham AND the NFL team a few years down the line.

I live in LA and have for 20 years and still think like a lot of people do that the NFL benefits way more by not having a team here than by one or two here. People sporadically talk about it here but it's mostly politicians no one believes or developers looking for a great deal. I never thought for one second that the AEG Anschutz deal would go through. It was stupid and impossible from the start.

Kroenke, however, is a guy who could get it done. He's a different breed of cat. Not sure what he really wants. He's more of a Missouri guy than an LA guy.

Raiders look to be a prime target to move to anywhere but Oakland. Throw in San Diego too as a secondary canidate, and of course Jacksonville if you are going out of state. Its nice to view these threads and not weight Buffalo's chances of being the relocated team.

I Hate LA hope they never get a team

I hate a lot of things. But La is not one of them.

It's funny how a lot of NON-LA posters think la fans dont miss an nfl team. At least the people I know and talk to, they all want an nfl team.

Like really, are you in La? Please dont just guess.

I hate a lot of things. But La is not one of them.

It's funny how a lot of NON-LA posters think la fans dont miss an nfl team. At least the people I know and talk to, they all want an nfl team.

Like really, are you in La? Please dont just guess.

I have lived in LA for 20 years and I don't know anyone who really wants a team here. I have met hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of fans from other cities who still follow their hometown team or favorite team. I don't see much call for a team at all and I go to a sports bar that often has 500 fans on Sundays.

And I don't hate LA at all either. it's pretty great in fact.

I don't understand how London would work. All of their games would have to be night games so the visiting teams market could watch at 1 pm. And then what about a west coast team going to London? The game would start at what time there? Then London flies to West coast and no one in England sees the game because it didn't start until midnight. So basically no tv revenue.

12-24 months away? Are they going to move a team mid season? No. So it's more like 15-20 months if true.

Edited by thronethinker

I have lived in LA for 20 years and I don't know anyone who really wants a team here. I have met hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of fans from other cities who still follow their hometown team or favorite team.

20+ years here as well and this is spot on. A team doesn't survive here if it isn't the Raiders.

Makes sense that it's St. Louis. Forbes reported that Kroenke purchased 60 acres of land in a LA suburb, which is big enough for a stadium. The lease in St. Louis is over in 2015 and the team is ranked 32d in valuation @ $935 million (Bills were #31, but that should change now!) So it could the LA Rams of Santa Clara. All I know is it ain't us baby!

NFL always thinks it will be different in LA. It won't. Fan support for football sucks and they are only doing it for TV ratings and corporate dollars.

They will be continuously embarrassed by half filled stadiums that are "sold out" like Miami because their corporate partners buy up the tickets

hahahah. Team in LA. It will be funny, I bet most of the "fans" that show up the first 10 years or so are a majority of the visiting teams fans. I mean, I'd go to LA to watch the Bills beat whatever team ends up there.

NFL always thinks it will be different in LA. It won't. Fan support for football sucks and they are only doing it for TV ratings and corporate dollars.

They will be continuously embarrassed by half filled stadiums that are "sold out" like Miami because their corporate partners buy up the tickets

Yep. And the Dolphins actually have a contingent of dedicated fans. Unlike the LA Rams or whoever ends up there. Besides, I hear that people in LA like not having a team and being able to watch whoever they want. Also, oddly, LA is more of a college football city than a pro one, with USC and UCLA.

• 2 months later...

I think San Diego goes first

Rams should be ashamed leaving with a 20 year old stadium. What a joke

Chargers have a very good fan base and likely won't turn their back on that. It is pathetic that such a newish stadium is being abandoned. They're doing the same with the Georgia Dome in Atlanta. Terrible planning.

http://profootballta...-return-to-l-a/

We've certainly heard this before. But just because it wasn't true in the past doesn't necessarily mean it won't be true this time. Still, I believe it when it actually happens.

But that's not why I started this thread. I'm more interested in this:

What the hell does that mean? I know the NFL is very powerful, and has the ability to influence decisions, but can they "send one or two teams" anywhere? Since when does the NFL decide where franchises will play?

Mike Florio is a former lawyer so you would think he knows what the NFL can - and can't - do.

Then again, isn't Florio the guy who reported that Terry Bradshaw died in a car accident several years ago?

This is crazy. I read that headline without the slightest trace of fear!

I know. It is so nice not to have LA anxiety anymore. Thank God for El Pegul. It still seems like St. Louis would be the choice in that they are in a year to year deal with the stadium improvements. Kronke bought that land in LA and is one of the richest owners in the NFL after Allen in Seattle. I hate to hear for any fan base they should lose their team to LA who couldn't keep two teams in the past. The only way I see Oakland going to LA would be if the state or LA pay for the stadium, and I don't see CA having the money to do it. That was a 50/50 deal for SF and took 15 years to happen. In addition, San Jose is Silicon Valley and one of the richest areas in CA.

one will be built if two teams are there. orange county. do the research please.

Do the research?

I would be willing to bet there still isn't a team in LA in two years. The only stadium idea right now that has any validity whatsoever is not even a plan yet, but a bunch of land bought near Hollywood Park. It's not going to be Orange County. Teams are still using LA to get better deals from their own city. The only guy with the balls, money, and lack of soul willing to do it is in St. Louis and he ain't going to Orange County.

Do the research?

I would be willing to bet there still isn't a team in LA in two years. The only stadium idea right now that has any validity whatsoever is not even a plan yet, but a bunch of land bought near Hollywood Park. It's not going to be Orange County. Teams are still using LA to get better deals from their own city. The only guy with the balls, money, and lack of soul willing to do it is in St. Louis and he ain't going to Orange County.

Great post. The whole NFL has had the opportunity to grab LA forever, if its such a great market why no takers. LA is a very competitive town for disposable income, especially the entertainment dollar. I attended a Rams game in 1985 with Eric Dickerson at his peak, lots of empty seats and a boring "who cares" atmosphere.

For some reason, I find myself giving much less of a crap about this issue than I did a year ago.

:D

I would be willing to bet there still isn't a team in LA in two years.

Me too. LA is much more valuable to the Shield as a place to threaten to move a team than to actually move a team.

one will be built if two teams are there. orange county. do the research please.

A drawing of a stadium isn't an actual stadium.

There have been several drawing of "LA stadiums" for future NFL teams. None have any link with reality at this point.

The reason all of the previous "stadium plans" of late have failed is very simple----Unless and owner of a team builds his own stadium (Rams), there is no financial incentive for a private 3rd party to build $1.5 billion stadium with only one (ok, throw in a second team in this fantasy) reliable tenent for 10 or so dates a year. And please spare us the "there can be bowl games, concerts and other events" nonsense.

A drawing of a stadium isn't an actual stadium.

Reminds me of a great scene from the West Wing. Did anybody else watch that show? China was making noise over Taiwan, and the US was moving a carrier group toward the South China Sea.

SAM

Why were the carrier groups in the Taiwan Strait?

BARTLET

Are they in the Taiwan Strait?

SAM

They're on their way.

BARTLET

Is that the same thing?

I have lived in LA for 20 years and I don't know anyone who really wants a team here. I have met hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of fans from other cities who still follow their hometown team or favorite team. I don't see much call for a team at all and I go to a sports bar that often has 500 fans on Sundays.

And I don't hate LA at all either. it's pretty great in fact.

No one???

Wow. I manage 2 chumps. One doesnt care about the sport. One is a charger fan. Both the charger fan and me would love a team in LA.

That's 2 people right there. 50%

Not to mentionn all my other friends... That's like 2 more right there. Just kidding.

When this subject has come up, most people welcome the idea. We must be from opposite sides of la or something.

No one???

Wow. I manage 2 chumps. One doesnt care about the sport. One is a charger fan. Both the charger fan and me would love a team in LA.

That's 2 people right there. 50%

Not to mentionn all my other friends... That's like 2 more right there. Just kidding.

When this subject has come up, most people welcome the idea. We must be from opposite sides of la or something.

I guess I should have clarified it a bit. It totally depends on how you ask the question.

I don't know one person here that has said "We have to have a team here. This city needs a team. It's a disgrace for a city this big to not have the NFL. I really want a team here I can root for." I don't know one person who has said any of those things. I know all kinds of people who if you asked "Would you like to have an NFL team here or not?" they would say sure, that would be great. I'd go watch a game once in awhile.

Charger fans who selfishly want the team in LA so they can watch them here and screw over 99% of Charger fans don't count. ;)

I guess I should have clarified it a bit. It totally depends on how you ask the question.

I don't know one person here that has said "We have to have a team here. This city needs a team. It's a disgrace for a city this big to not have the NFL. I really want a team here I can root for." I don't know one person who has said any of those things. I know all kinds of people who if you asked "Would you like to have an NFL team here or not?" they would say sure, that would be great. I'd go watch a game once in awhile.

Charger fans who selfishly want the team in LA so they can watch them here and screw over 99% of Charger fans don't count. ;)

Here we go again.

I have heard both cases.

Your first example (that you have not encountered), I have met these folks too. They usually add something like this: "How could La not have a team? When we used to have 2. If ____________________ has a team, how come La, a much bigger market doesnt have a team."

Anyway it's all good. I want a team here. However, I dont think they would bring a team or name an expansion just for little old me. Or who knows. Maybe they would if they knew me. Just kidding again.