Jim Kelly--Make JK your avatar

dib

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed dib. I put it in the suggestion box, but we should change the header picture from Bruce Smith to Jim..and everyone should change their avatar to a picture of Jim Kelly...I see you got the memo! :lol:

Edited by Buftex

In searching for a Jim Kelly pic, I came across this old SI article about Kelly's debut against the Jets. His toughness was appreciated from day one as a Bill.

Most of the Jet defensive linemen got a piece of him, one way or another, but they all came away impressed. "I didn't think he'd be this tough," noseguard Joe Klecko said. "If he was hurt, he sure didn't show it. He's heady, too. He's got quicker moves than you think."

"Most young quarterbacks just tuck the ball away and run when they decide to scramble," defensive end Marty Lyons said. "But when he moved out of the pocket he always had poise and he was always looking downfield."

"It's funny," Kelly said. "I knew I was going to get hit a lot today, but I got hit a lot playing for the Gamblers, too. For some reason, I felt more relaxed here than in the USFL. I felt at home; I want to win for the people here. I've just got the taste of winning so bad in my mouth right now."

A New Namath, But With Knees

In searching for a Jim Kelly pic, I came across this old SI article about Kelly's debut against the Jets. His toughness was appreciated from day one as a Bill.

A New Namath, But With Knees

I was at that game, back when I was still a season ticket holder. I can tell you, the 1980-1982 seasons were pretty fantastic at Rich Stadium, but to this day, I swear, I have never been to a sporting event as loud as it was that day, when they introduced Kelly. My seats were right around the 50 yard line, but in the lower upper deck..it was shaking...only thing that was comperable was when the Bills broke the streak against the Dolphins on opening day of 1980. That whole game, that stadium was shaking, and there wasn't a doubt that the Bills were set at QB for the next 10 years. It has become so cliche now, but the guy really was just tough as nails, and you could see it from opening day. They only won 4 games that season, but they were in so many of them (coming off back to back 2-14 seasons), because of Jim. He was awesome....everything we hoped he would be... tough, a little cocky, fiery...man, I miss those years... some of my greatest sports memories of all.

The relevance of life becomes clear when placed against interests significantly irrelevant in the grand scheme of the cosmos when something so horrific befalls a man. Jim Kelly was not only an incredible football player, he is man who permitted himself the room to grow and develop as a gentleman and contributing member of the human race. He was wild and did some crazy things early in his career and youthful exuberance, but he eventually came to a crossroads his life when he put aside some of those distractions and embraced the opportunity to be a true father and husband and overall, an improved man of the community he calls home. He represents not only much, if not all, that is great about that era of Buffalo BILLS football, but what he did in his life was a microcosm of the football team: he turned around a Franchise stuck in the quagmire of forgotten football lore as he turned his own personal troubles to veritable character strengths fueled by discovering his journey of faith. Jim Kelly has my sincerest thoughts and prayers and as I look across the landscape of our region and state, I see so many living wrong and creating havoc and injuring others while their lives are only threatened by their own selfishness or stupidity, yet there lies Jimbo; fighting for his life when he has rectified previous personal wrongs and in acts of personal contrition shown this region his true heart. The line between his family and his fans are often blurred, not by us, but by him because he cares so much…oh, if only that were the greatest sin of so many…best wishes Jim and I pray for solace, strength, and comfort to you and your loved ones in your time of suffering and hopefully, eventual triumph.

Always thought Jim Kelly becoming a dad transformed him & made him the man he is today. Here's a guy who has been to hell and back personally & professionally. He always was a fighter, but it is his humanism & compassion that truly impresses me. Jim's mother would be proud of the father he has become.

Edited by Dean Cain