Mike Pettine speculation-interviewing w Cleveland

mannc

I guess my F5 button will break sometime early this afternoon:

Will Burge@WillBurge 9h

League source confirms to me Mike Pettine coming to Cleveland tomorrow. He arrives around 1pm #Browns

That was posted last night. He also tweeted a few minutes ago that Pettine is on a 12:32 Delta flight to CLE!

EDIT: I just checked and it doesn't look like Delta flies from BUF to CLE direct, and there is no early afternoon departure offered even with a connection! Bozo.

Edited by l< j

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all over. A third interview isn't needed, it's a contract discussion and evening presser. Why would Pettine go to Cleveland for a third interview, there is no logical explanation for them to need to talk again other than a contract.

Personally, I think it's a mistake for Pettine. He'd have more chances down the road but the nexus of arrogance and fear of this being his only shot is where bad decisions are made.

Will Burge@WillBurge 9h

League source confirms to me Mike Pettine coming to Cleveland tomorrow. He arrives around 1pm #Browns

That was posted last night. He also tweeted a few minutes ago that Pettine is on a 12:32 Delta flight to CLE!

Tail number? Manifest link?

Personally, I think it's a mistake for Pettine. He'd have more chances down the road but the nexus of arrogance and fear of this being his only shot is where bad decisions are made.

I think I agree, I think.

Look at Ron Rolston and the Sabres. Taking the Sabres' job when he did may have caused irreparable damage to his NHL coaching career. The Browns are a disaster and (the new version) always has been. The Bills arent a great place either, but at least he is a DC with a glut of talent to work with and continue to make a name. His name has been rolled out there in the media through this and he has had some interview practice. I would punt and wait for the 10 jobs that open next year. There has got to be a better situation than Cleveland.

Will Burge@WillBurge 9h

EDIT: I just checked and it doesn't look like Delta flies from BUF to CLE direct, and there is no early afternoon departure offered even with a connection! Bozo.

I wonder if he is flying from Mobile to Cleveland?

By the way, way to roll out the red carpet, Cleveland. We grab Marrone in a private jet, and Cleveland tells Pettine to hop on Delta. I wonder if he's taking that blue shared shuttle from the airport to the stadium.

It's all over. A third interview isn't needed, it's a contract discussion and evening presser. Why would Pettine go to Cleveland for a third interview, there is no logical explanation for them to need to talk again other than a contract.

I understand Cleveland doing their due diligence, but good God, a third interview?

I had a doughnut. It totally blew my diet. So I had another.

In other news. I think Pettine is gone. I think we would be foolish not to bring Wade back. Maybe in a few years if Marrone struggles and gets canned. I'd honestly hire him back to HC. Maybe after that get Lou Saban, too.

Honestly in my professional life, if I interviewed for a job and kept getting strung along with more and more interviews and there were media reports of others walking away from the job...I would withdraw from consideration...something just doesn't feel right about that situation. I know many people say there are only 32 of them and you have to take them when they come up. I wouldn't rush to go into a joke of a franchise; get canned and never have a shot again. They are so late to hire anyone, there are no viable assistants out there now. That is not a good situation...get a job a week or so after black Monday, you are in a better position...

This. And I can almost guarantee you, with another solid season under his watch and other teams creating coaching vacancies next year, Pettine will not only be a great candidate, he will get to choose the team he goes to next year. He would be naive (and perhaps a little stupid, since he's pretty much the only candidate who hasn't recognized the toxicity of the Browns situation) to think he won't have a better situation next year.

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 10m

Packers could block Alex Van Pelt from moving on http://wp.me/p14QSB-9oCz

Welp.. looks like Pettine may need to look no further than Turk Schonert for his OC now...

I wonder if he is flying from Mobile to Cleveland?

By the way, way to roll out the red carpet, Cleveland. We grab Marrone in a private jet, and Cleveland tells Pettine to hop on Delta. I wonder if he's taking that blue shared shuttle from the airport to the stadium.

Just goes right along with the red carpet treatment he has gotten so far.... clowns.

I had a doughnut. It totally blew my diet. So I had another.

In other news. I think Pettine is gone. I think we would be foolish not to bring Wade back. Maybe in a few years if Marrone struggles and gets canned. I'd honestly hire him back to HC. Maybe after that get Lou Saban, too.

Exactly, the bright side in all this is that Pettine will likely be available in 1-2 years when we have our own head coach vacancy.

If I were Russ though, I would mail Pettine a 5 million dollar check in exchange for him withdrawing his name this year only.

Edited by kas23

He's the head coach of the Browns. Wikipedia just updated, and i heard from someone i know in Cleveland.

Best of luck Mike!

I'll believe it only after Tim Graham tweets it, then retracts, then re-tweets confirmation from an actual source and then takes credit for his first false tweet.

This. And I can almost guarantee you, with another solid season under his watch and other teams creating coaching vacancies next year, Pettine will not only be a great candidate, he will get to choose the team he goes to next year. He would be naive (and perhaps a little stupid, since he's pretty much the only candidate who hasn't recognized the toxicity of the Browns situation) to think he won't have a better situation next year.

I once interviewed for a job for 6 months before I actually received an offer. During that time I probably had about 15 interviews with 12 different people. Ultimately I took the job. I don't think it's that unusual. What is unusual is that it's in the public eye and millions of people have a vested interest in this because they are fans.

I want Pettine to stay, badly, but I don't think it's a disaster for Buffalo if he leaves.

I also believe that Pettine needs to take this opportunity, despite the risks. Other than ownership, I think it's a pretty good situation. He probably believes that in a fairly weak AFC North, he has a chance to take that team and compete for a division title. If he does that, there is no way he gets fired in 1 year.

Oh well, I never thought Pettine was that great anyway. He looks like a football coach with his bald head and fierce scowl, though. His players got some gaudy stats last season at the expense of giving up too many big plays. The better coaches were able to exploit this weakness, and were able to tear apart our defense in many games.

I once interviewed for a job for 6 months before I actually received an offer. During that time I probably had about 15 interviews with 12 different people. Ultimately I took the job. I don't think it's that unusual. What is unusual is that it's in the public eye and millions of people have a vested interest in this because they are fans.

I want Pettine to stay, badly, but I don't think it's a disaster for Buffalo if he leaves.

I also believe that Pettine needs to take this opportunity, despite the risks. Other than ownership, I think it's a pretty good situation. He probably believes that in a fairly weak AFC North, he has a chance to take that team and compete for a division title. If he does that, there is no way he gets fired in 1 year.

It isn't unusual at all in the business world. It is in the NFL. That said, usually there is competition for a coach which makes them move more quickly. Not the case here.

Oh well, I never thought Pettine was that great anyway. He looks like a football coach with his bald head and fierce scowl, though. His players got some gaudy stats last season at the expense of giving up too many big plays. The better coaches were able to exploit this weakness, and were able to tear apart our defense in many games.

And that was last year. Now they have a whole year of film. I agree with you.

ProFootballTalk@ProFootballTalk 10m

Packers could block Alex Van Pelt from moving on http://wp.me/p14QSB-9oCz

Welp.. looks like Pettine may need to look no further than Turk Schonert for his OC now...

Just goes right along with the red carpet treatment he has gotten so far.... clowns.

If I am Pettine, I ignore this circus/trainwreck, and just figure that even if he was the 10th choice and these guys are clowns, he's going to prove to everyone that they made the right choice.

If I were Pettine, I would take the Browns job in a heartbeat. Being too good for openings often does not serve the up and coming coordinator well. Look at Brian Schottenheimer. Remember when he was too good to even interview for the Bills opening? Within a couple of years the Jets fired him and he cannot even hope to get an interview.

Edited by Arkady Renko

Absolutely. It seems, if he takes the gig, that Pettine must be more willing than Gase or Quinn to enter a higher-risk/reward scenario. Confidence in one's own self is not a bad thing, but he'll need a lot of luck in a place that hasn't had much. Chud was basically sabotaged by injuries and an already-shaky QB situation. It's hard to say he did a bad job there all things considered. Yet he is now a retread HC in the NFL on the outside looking in. Does Pettine want that risk?

The Lions job would have been the one to get this winter. So many good pieces in place already up there and an underachieving team that needed a new culture. The Browns have a lot more work to do despite the high picks.

If I am Pettine, I ignore this circus/trainwreck, and just figure that even if he was the 10th choice and these guys are clowns, he's going to prove to everyone that they made the right choice.

Of course that is what he will try to do... unfortunately, the circus/trainwreck pulls all the strings, so he is part of it whether he wants to be or not. But.... cha-ching!

If I were Pettine, I would take the Browns job in a heartbeat. Being too good for openings often does not serve the up and coming coordinator well. Look at Brian Schottenheimer. Remember when he was too good to even interview for the Bills opening? Within a couple of years the Jets fired him and he cannot even hope to get an interview.

Adam Gase is 35 and could have been a HC in the NFL. He said, "Nah, I'm good." He, along with the 5 other coordinators who chose not to go there, will be better served by not going there because of the FO and ownership. It is what it is.

Absolutely. It seems, if he takes the gig, that Pettine must be more willing than Gase or Quinn to enter a higher-risk/reward scenario. Confidence in one's own self is not a bad thing, but he'll need a lot of luck in a place that hasn't had much. Chud was basically sabotaged by injuries and an already-shaky QB situation. It's hard to say he did a bad job there all things considered. Yet he is now a retread HC in the NFL on the outside looking in. Does Pettine want that risk?

The Lions job would have been the one to get this winter. So many good pieces in place already up there and an underachieving team that needed a new culture. The Browns have a lot more work to do despite the high picks.

He was also sabotaged by his own FO, who refused to give him any control over his own personnel and then fired him because of it.

Of course that is what he will try to do... unfortunately, the circus/trainwreck pulls all the strings, so he is part of it whether he wants to be or not. But.... cha-ching!

Adam Gase is 35 and could have been a HC in the NFL. He said, "Nah, I'm good." He, along with the 5 other coordinators who chose not to go there, will be better served by not going there because of the FO and ownership. It is what it is.

He was also sabotaged by his own FO, who refused to give him any control over his own personnel and then fired him because of it.

Sounds like a great gig. "There are only 32 of these! Sign me up for the dysfunction!"

It's official, the Browns wiki page has been update:

post-13907-0-94055600-1390487135_thumb.png

http://en.wikipedia....leveland_Browns

In January 2014, the "Three Stooges" <ref>http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24392157/reporter-asks-browns-owner-haslam-if-team-is-run-by-three-stooges</ref> of the Cleveland Browns held one of the most ridiculous coaching searches in NFL history. Desperately searching for any coaching candidate that would be interested in being the Head Coach of an organization that recently fired a Head Coach after one year, the team held round after round of interviews. Including interviewing their "fall back option" <ref>http://www.ohio.com/blogs/cleveland-browns/cleveland-browns-1.270107/espn-s-adam-schefter-says-browns-may-have-a-curve-ball-coming-in-coaching-search-1.461064</ref>, Mike Pettine, an almost unheard of, three times. This type of lack of leadership and decision making does not bode well for the future of the organization.

I remember when everyone was laughing at Cleveland for trading Richardson a few months ago. I don't know, you add a defensive guy like Pettine, they have the ammo to move up and take whatever QB they want in draft, they have good players on offense and defense. At least they have 8 home games. Not sure, how Bills fans can laugh at anyone right now. Oakland and Jax probably only head coaching job worse than Bills. We were lucky last year to land a guy other teams were actually interested in.

I wish Pettine well, but this could end poorly for him if the Browns' FO doesn't rebound.

Could be like in Jax, where Mularkey was hired, and then was promptly fired after 1 year because they brought in an entire new FO, which wanted their own guy as HC.

And how would he be in a bad position if that happened. He'd be sitting on a bunch of guaranteed money and then when that ran out he'd likely be able to go back to being a DC somewhere. It's a pretty no-lose situation.

And how would he be in a bad position if that happened. He'd be sitting on a bunch of guaranteed money and then when that ran out he'd likely be able to go back to being a DC somewhere. It's a pretty no-lose situation.

Most coaches don't think that way.

I remember when everyone was laughing at Cleveland for trading Richardson a few months ago. I don't know, you add a defensive guy like Pettine, they have the ammo to move up and take whatever QB they want in draft, they have good players on offense and defense. At least they have 8 home games. Not sure, how Bills fans can laugh at anyone right now. Oakland and Jax probably only head coaching job worse than Bills. We were lucky last year to land a guy other teams were actually interested in.

The problem with the Cleveland job, aside from no QB, is not the players.

Why?

If you don't understand at this point in time you never will.

Pettine will have opportunities to interview for HC next year but if he looks like a desperate puppy with no pride willing to take **** from a screwed up organization his value as a HC and leader goes down.

How is going to lead the team as the "Fall Back" Plan Head Coach?

If you don't understand at this point in time you never will.

Pettine will have opportunities to interview for HC next year but if he looks like a desperate puppy with no pride willing to take **** from a screwed up organization his value as a HC and leader goes down.

How is going to lead the team as the "Fall Back" Plan Head Coach?

The leaders on this team have already been quoted as being embarrassed and disappointed about the Chud firing after 1 year, after two other coaches who lasted 2 years apiece. MP will be lucky if they even bother to learn his name at this point...

Unless perhaps Pettine really wants to be head coach and win games. If you take a job with a dysfunctional franchise and fail miserably its a long wait until you get another shot at HC. You might not ever get another shot.

Keep in mind they have to hold together the roster and I don't expect that to happen. That locker room has been through inconsistent or missing leadership for years and I think firing Chud after 1 year may have been the tipping point.

Pettine is inheriting a mess, players do not trust ownership and the FO. Plus, as others have said on here, it's not like Pettine has some awesome resume. I too wonder if he'll be any good as a HC considering the better teams were able to run holes in his defense with no answer/adjustment. It's not all bad he's leaving, if we get Wade back I will view the entire situation as a positive outcome.