"The Culture of Failure"

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I see Bucky Gleason is picking up some slack for Jerry Sullivan. There hasn't been enough depressing stuff from him lately.

http://www.buffalone...ailure-20130912

So we are entering Week 2 of the season under the new regime and Bucky is already dropping the "F-bomb" (Failure). I love how the local media goes out of it's way to remind everyone how moribund the Bills have been. They don't even wait for things to go badly before Bucky or Sully reminds us about "13 years and counting."

Bucky apparently wants EJ Manuel to know what a dumpster fire this franchise has been. No pressure, EJ, but when you drop back keep in mind how snake bit the team you are leading has been. Never mind that you, your coaches and teammates have little to do with the Bills past record. The Buffalo News will make sure you know that losing is in our DNA.

Coach Marrone says he wants to change the culture but the media never wants let the stink of failure fade around this team. I'm no believer in crazy self-help crap like "The Secret" (Google it if you don't know what it is) but I do believe that pervasive negativity has a way of dragging everyone down. If you keep thinking things will go wrong, they usually will.

You want players to win. You want players to perform. But you can't stop yourself from pulling the "FAILURE!!!" alarm two weeks into a new season. F**king ponderous.

PTR

People usually perform up to the expectations placed on them. Expect to succeed and they usually will. Expect to fail and they usually will as well.

That's the point though, the place can never be as loud as it once was because of those apathetic fans. I don't care if the Bills have a 12-4 season, the fans in the club seats will always be mostly sitting on their hands. I'm not suggesting that they stand up the whole game and lose their voices either, but in the 4th quarter in a tight game, show some frigging enthusiasm and help out the defense. Collectively, compared to how that place used to be, the 12th man is dead.

I kind of agree with you. The place lost it's intimidation factor when they took all those seats out & put in the club seats. The clubs seats are a joke & the biggest ripoff in the stadium. Half of them are not even filled & the other half are usually inside watching the game. That is the NFL in general now though. There are very few stadiums left in the league that actually are loud. Seatle comes to mind immediately not too many other ones especially the open air stadiums. Look at the atmospher last night in NE, did not sound loud at all. Most NFL stadiums are like that now. One of the many reasons why college football is 10xs better then the NFL imo.

I see Bucky Gleason is picking up some slack for Jerry Sullivan. There hasn't been enough depressing stuff from him lately.

http://www.buffalone...ailure-20130912

So we are entering Week 2 of the season under the new regime and Bucky is already dropping the "F-bomb" (Failure). I love how the local media goes out of it's way to remind everyone how moribund the Bills have been. They don't even wait for things to go badly before Bucky or Sully reminds us about "13 years and counting."

Bucky apparently wants EJ Manuel to know what a dumpster fire this franchise has been. No pressure, EJ, but when you drop back keep in mind how snake bit the team you are leading has been. Never mind that you, your coaches and teammates have little to do with the Bills past record. The Buffalo News will make sure you know that losing is in our DNA.

Coach Marrone says he wants to change the culture but the media never wants let the stink of failure fade around this team. I'm no believer in crazy self-help crap like "The Secret" (Google it if you don't know what it is) but I do believe that pervasive negativity has a way of dragging everyone down. If you keep thinking things will go wrong, they usually will.

You want players to win. You want players to perform. But you can't stop yourself from pulling the "FAILURE!!!" alarm two weeks into a new season. F**king ponderous.

PTR

You are right on this one...but even I sense a change here (I did not with the two previous coaches.) The acquisition (gutsy) of EJ Manuel, the new offensive strategy of an up tempo offense, the new bodies all over the place, and frankly the way they played New England has me pretty optimistic. Let me clarify that. At the beginning of the preseason I thought a stretch goal should be 6 wins. Watching the preseason I think I would revise that to eight wins this season and aim for the playoffs next season. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far. Lots of rookie, new strategy, new coaching errors, but that is to be expected.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm sure glad that we have people in the media to let us know about how bad the team has been for the last 13 years. Maybe in the next article they can write about how water is wet.

I know if another lazy announcer says this team hasn't been to the playoffs in 13 years, I'll puke. Come on man get some new material.

(As I expected) Those who agree with the article are missing my point...

First the headline: "Bills fight losing battle against culture of failure." We are one week into the season. How are we "losing the battle" already? Because we lost one game?

Second: Yes the Bills suck but how are we supposed to turn the corner when Bucky Gleason starts painting our rookies with the failure brush one week into their careers?

If this were week 13 of the season and the Bills were 2-11 and our players were terrible then I can see writing this column but not going into week 2.

PTR

I agree with PTR on this one. I remain highly critical of Brandon and his lack of aggressiveness on spending to cap and managing team (at all costs) to win. But, Gleason's analysis is premature if not misplaced --- one game does not make or break any trend or culture -- there was more to like than dislike in game 1 from this coaching staff and these players --- any "analysis" should wait to we see what takes place this weekend (Panthers) and next week (Jets) --- my criticism remains at FO for now and the roster limitations they've left for Marrone-Pettine and Hackett due to cap mismanagement

I agree with PTR on this one. I remain highly critical of Brandon and his lack of aggressiveness on spending to cap and managing team (at all costs) to win. But, Gleason's analysis is premature if not misplaced --- one game does not make or break any trend or culture -- there was more to like than dislike in game 1 from this coaching staff and these players --- any "analysis" should wait to we see what takes place this weekend (Panthers) and next week (Jets) --- my criticism remains at FO for now and the roster limitations they've left for Marrone-Pettine and Hackett due to cap mismanagement

Pretty much exactly where I am at as a Bills fan. I don't want them to suck balls again, but I also have to see a few games so these guys can at least get their feet wet. I like what I see from our rookies, and if/when Byrd/Gilmore start playing ball, we should start winning some games instead of finding ways to lose.

Wow the crowd stuff is way off base. There were times Sunday where the Ralph was as loud as it's been in years. Searcy's run back likely caused some seismic activity and permanent ear drum damage for most people in attendance. Off the top of my head, the only times I've heard the place as loud in recent years was during the win against the pats, the cowboys MNF game, and the opener against Seattle a few years ago.

I'm sure there are other times I'm forgetting, but the point is Sunday was as loud as it gets. I've got season tickets but I've sat all over the stadium. The club seats have a nice view, but the atmosphere is terrible. To each their own, but it's a mistake to extrapolate the behavior of those fans onto the rest. Plus, even when you are in the club seats, you can still hear the rest of the stadium resonating, so I don't get some of the comments made above.

So the media should just butt out of opinion pieces and stick to reporting fluff pieces like when a soon-to-be Bills player alights from his flight into town? Personally, I want the sports writers and commentators to dig, expose, reflect, suggest, opine, and in all other ways "cover" their subject. If today's piece pisses me off, maybe tomorrow's will be more to my liking. I'll read 'em all then make my decisions. Kinda' like when they report on political matters and other national news, eh?

You are in the distinct minority around here. Most seem to believe that it is the News's job to "boost Buffalo" and always find positive things to say about the team and the region. If people think the media in WNY are unfairly critical, go read the NY Post, Daily News, etc for a few days. You would think the Jets were the worst franchise in the history of sports. (OK, I know they aren't great, but they have been a lot better than the Bills in recent memory.)

You didn't sit where I was. The fans were sitting quietly in their seats when the defense needed them most. The place simply isn't as loud as it once was. How many false starts do you see from opposing teams compared to the old days?

No "green dots" on the QB's helmet back in the day. I know this doesn't translate 100% into the line hearing the snap... BUT, the new game keeps the teams calmer and more disciplined.

Wow the crowd stuff is way off base. There were times Sunday where the Ralph was as loud as it's been in years. Searcy's run back likely caused some seismic activity and permanent ear drum damage for most people in attendance. Off the top of my head, the only times I've heard the place as loud in recent years was during the win against the pats, the cowboys MNF game, and the opener against Seattle a few years ago.

I'm sure there are other times I'm forgetting, but the point is Sunday was as loud as it gets. I've got season tickets but I've sat all over the stadium. The club seats have a nice view, but the atmosphere is terrible. To each their own, but it's a mistake to extrapolate the behavior of those fans onto the rest. Plus, even when you are in the club seats, you can still hear the rest of the stadium resonating, so I don't get some of the comments made above.

Agree on crowd --- at least on TV it sounded as loud as ever --- but, nothing will rock the Ralph more than a team that wins consistently !

Guys, I'm not extrapolating the club seats to the whole crowd. I fully realize the atmosphere in the regular seats is the polar opposite of what I got in the club. I'm saying that because there are such wide swaths of the stadium that are disengaged that there is no way the Ralph can ever be as loud as it once was. If some of you feel that Sunday was as loud as the Super Bowl years then you're either too young to remember or you're so old that you've forgotten. It just isn't.

Theres a difference between being polite and treating the public as if they don't have clue. Russ stood up on the podium telling us that Buddy Nix has done a great job as GM and will remain as an associate to the franchise. Basically, Russ stood up there and assumed Bills fans were stupid in that they will believe him in saying Buddy Nix has done a great job.

Russ Brandon was diplomatic and respectful toward the departing GM. RB handled the departure with class and dignity. That is the way it should be done. What did you want him to say?: You stupid hillbilly redneck old geezer you screwed this franchise up!

The arrangement for Nix's exit was already arranged. The former GM was not involved with the selection of the HC. The draft board was set up by Whaley. What is wrong with being kind and generous toward this good man at his exiting press conference?

Don't get hung up on the generous comments coming out of a retiring bon voyage press conference. That is the standard decorum at that type of event. Brandon wasn't trying to hustle the battered fan base. He publicly admitted that the franchise was a tarnished product.

I have had plenty of criticisms for this organizatiion. But I give Brandon a lot of credit for establishing a credible staff with his elevation of Whaley and the hiring of Marrone who seemed to hired a quality staff. Now let's just wait and see how things develop. Then we can make a fairer judgment on how this staff is doing.

Guys, I'm not extrapolating the club seats to the whole crowd. I fully realize the atmosphere in the regular seats is the polar opposite of what I got in the club. I'm saying that because there are such wide swaths of the stadium that are disengaged that there is no way the Ralph can ever be as loud as it once was. If some of you feel that Sunday was as loud as the Super Bowl years then you're either too young to remember or you're so old that you've forgotten. It just isn't.

Again, do you think that there are now 15,000 less fans in the stadium have something to do with that?

Again, do you think that there are now 15,000 less fans in the stadium have something to do with that?

personallu I think it's the quality of fan. The wine and cheese crowd in the specialty club seats are useless when it comes to crowd noise. They stand up and clap when Buffalo scores a TD and that's all they understand.

Yes, I've already said that it does, but to have another 10,000 sit on their hands the whole game certainly isn't helping one bit.

The club seats were always there, and it's always been quieter in those sections. Now, they're inside for most of the game. It's the loss of the 15,000 outdoor seats that's making the largest difference.

FWIW, take a look at other stadiums. At MetLife, the outside club seats are virtually empty for the entire game.

Yes, I've already said that it does, but to have another 10,000 sit on their hands the whole game certainly isn't helping one bit.

Are those fans sitting on their hands because of the reasons Bucky suggested?

Sure, plenty of people agree with him, and have low and/or cautious expectations of the Bills, but I don't think those same fans are the ones going to the games just to sit and be quiet.

Of course it's louder when they're winning (and I don't mean in general, but leading on the scoreboard during a particular game), but the past however many years of losing in general doesn't have anything to do with it, IMO.

Bucky is suggesting that the fans have a loser mentality and that is why they weren't cheering. I say that's doubly false. The fans were cheering, and cheering loudly. Having once cheered louder or whatever doesn't really have to do with last Sunday. Did anyone scream at, oh let's say, 75% capacity when Woods caught his TD because the Bills were 6-10 last year? That's a ridiculous insinuation. You either scream and shout, or you don't. Or is Bucky saying people were in the stands with their arms folded and silent because they just knew Brady was goingto come back like he has for a decade?

The stadium was basically full. Club seats notwithstanding, Bills fans go to the game to cheer their butts off. What kind of clown goes to a NFL game to pout in the stands because Kelly Holcomb sucked in 2005? Give me a break.

Bucky should realize how insulting his piece is to fans who pay their hard earned money to go the games and root for their team. Yeah, yeah, I know he's just trying to get a reaction- mission accomplished, buttwipe.

Is the stadium now different than it was back in 2007 when the 4-0 Cowboys played the 1-3 Bills on Monday night?

Because that was a pretty crappy team, and I recall that place being as loud and crazy as any other game, ever.

I thought the article was spot on, except the baloney about the stadium being quiet. It was very loud and engaged. Gleason lost some credibility with that claim.

It was quiet...when the Bills were on offense, a subtlety that seems to have escaped Gleason's notice.

Media types have some of the biggest egos on the planet. They not only love, but desperately need to be right. All the time. They can never be wrong.

I'm a Pittsburgh Pirates fan for over 20 years and there are still media types dangling "collapse is imminent". They have a complete inability to write about success.

I'm not saying the Buffalo media should sugarcoat or start publishing fictional tales of NFL Bills supremacy, but some balance would be nice. Lots of teams are 0-1.

He says Manuel had to try to urge the crowd to get louder after the third quarter. He keeps talking about the crowd being quiet because it's scared of what's going to happen.

I was there. I thought the crowd was going batshit crazy during the 2nd half. We never sat down. After the third, it was very loud, and EJ IMO was getting into it. Not sensing he had to get the crowd into it.

For those who were there, was your perception more like mine or more like Bucky's?:

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/bills-fighting-a-losing-battle-with-culture-of-failure-20130912

I believe EJ was just getting into it and loving the craziness and home crowd.

At the same time, I thought the place would be much louder considering new HC, new QB, and a 2nd half lead against the Pats. There's so many games that I've been to that have been louder in the last 7-8 years I couldn't count them.

This game was loud but doesn't come close to

Pats win

Dallas Monday Night

Comeback against the Raider (either of them)

I was there and agree with your view. Bucky was using poetic license, trying to make something out of nothing. Bills fans are sophisticated (even an opening day crowd) and by-and-large understand that you keep your mouth shut when the Bills have the ball. It's counterintuitive to cheer when the Bills have the ball, but we were willing to play along at the end of a quarter after EJ gestured to the crowd.

I believe EJ was just getting into it and loving the craziness and home crowd.

At the same time, I thought the place would be much louder considering new HC, new QB, and a 2nd half lead against the Pats. There's so many games that I've been to that have been louder in the last 7-8 years I couldn't count them.

This game was loud but doesn't come close to

Pats win

Dallas Monday Night

Comeback against the Raider (either of them)

Dallas Monday night was loudest I've ever heard it.

It was ear hurting loud.

Just awesome.

Bucky is obviously plagiarizing Jerry's works. EJ was feeding off the crowd and trying to get the team pump. To hell what he thinks about the Bills.... and the sabres for that matter. All of them thrive in their jobs by doing nothing but writing doom and gloom.