If you were Belicheat, how would you prepare?

snydert317

Probably the most important variable Belicheat is considering is the experience level of the QB he is facing (plus the youth surrounding him, esp. at WR). So in some respects, he might not change that much.

Just a hunch.

Probably the most important variable Belicheat is considering is the experience level of the QB he is facing (plus the youth surrounding him, esp. at WR). So in some respects, he might not change that much.

Just a hunch.

I agree with this. He will probably prep for a rookie QB and if it ends up being Tuel he gets a bonus of going up against a less talented rookie QB.

While we secretly wish he and the rest of the team are looking past the Bills to the Jets, just 4 days later ;)

Edited by CodeMonkey

Excellent question. I think the Pats are focusing more on the Bills defense because the hole that was exploited last year by their two TE set has been marginalized to a degree because Gronk is injured, Hernandez is gone and the Bills linebackers are now a lot faster.

You just hope they can shut down the run.

Brady and the Pats offense is what stirs their drink. Their defense is ordinary. Whether it's Tuel or Manuel behind center, the Bills *can* score on that defense.

Neither has ever taken a snap in a real pro game before so I'm guessing the prep isn't going to be dramatically different.

Take away Spiller, pinch the short slants and give him confusing coverages in obvious passing downs.

I would sit back and order a hot dog, a Dr. Pepper and some Chili Nachos while letting my underlings call the plays.

I mean really? With the hot mess we have become in the last few days do you think Billy B will even seriously game plan? They are thinking week 2 already

If I were them I would go slow down, run the ball smash mouth foot ball with a bit of playaction thrown in. Keep you D off the field and let the rookies make early mistakes or go 3 and out. Then go fast after 1/2 time to crush any resistance and run up the points. As long as our QB's start slowly (which is likely, IMO) Bills 17 Pats* 40 or something would be expected. God, that is depressing.

I would sit back and order a hot dog, a Dr. Pepper and some Chili Nachos while letting my underlings call the plays.

I mean really? With the hot mess we have become in the last few days do you think Billy B will even seriously game plan? They are thinking week 2 already

This. Is simply not true.

This isn't the University of Florida opening up the season with Roast Beef Tech before they go into SEC play. This is the NFL. NO coaches "look ahead to the next week". They cannot afford to. And if they did, their teams would get smoked. Grow up, Peter Pan.

He will bring lots of pressure on Tuel and force him to make throws into coverage. Hopefully, our new WR's can get open in a hurry.

+1. That's why if I'm Hackett and Marrone, I'm coming out in a 4 receiver set with Goodwin and Graham outside Woods and Stevie inside. One back set with Spiller and throw lots of deep balls to Goodwin/Graham, to keep safeties out box, and run draws to CJ. If they sent backers, hit Stevie and Woods with slants. Tuel will have to guard against batted balls because the Redskins exposed this.

Don't think there is much difference in terms of prep for either at this point. You make your D aware that Manuel can hurt you with his legs but any DC facing a rookie QB is gonna try to force that QB to make fast decisions with the ball. That means crowding the line and pressure for either Manuel or Tuel.

GO BILLS!!!

Belichick prepares by taking away what the other team does best. In the case of the Bills, the only thing he knows is that #28 is on the other side.

I think BB focuses on stopping CJ, and dares Tuel or EJ to beat him through the air.

If I was Belicheck, I'd prepare for the Bills like this....

* I would study Florida game tape of EJ to learn his strengths and weaknesses.

* I'd study WSU game tape to learn the same about Tuel.

* I'd study game tape of Syracuse to get an idea of what Hackett and Marrone will try to do on offense.

* I'd come up with a flexible defensive game plan than can adapt to surprises.

* And as l< j stated, my game-planning would include consideration that I'm facing a rookie QB. So I'd (1) expect the Bills to run a lot, and (2) blitz in passing situation and not let the rookie get comfortable.

As far as preparing for our defense is concerned, I think Belicheck can already imagine what Pettine will try to do.

+1. That's why if I'm Hackett and Marrone, I'm coming out in a 4 receiver set with Goodwin and Graham outside Woods and Stevie inside. One back set with Spiller and throw lots of deep balls to Goodwin/Graham, to keep safeties out box, and run draws to CJ. If they sent backers, hit Stevie and Woods with slants. Tuel will have to guard against batted balls because the Redskins exposed this.

The Pats CBs are not all-world either, btw. Aquib Talib will be on Stevie and Alfonso Denard is the on the right, but also is due in court in Nebraska on the Friday before the game for his hearing so will miss some practice.

Get the DL hands up. Get the CBs on the line and play them hard and hands on any WR or TE. A good jam at the line will stop the initial routes then make the OLB play wide to either rush outside and wide, esp blind side, or go to the flat. I'd leave the SS on CJ in more cases. Break. Not bend. Make buffalo pass

I'd give my offense the week off, Tom can call the plays at the line. Without Gilmore, Tom should be good for 400 yards.

Defense can relax at home, just study the blitz plays.

That ought to be enough....decide on the red or blue hoodie and whether I'm going to Anchor Bar or Duff's?

In abstract its Simple. Stack the box, take away the run and as much of the short stuff as you can and dare a rookie QB to beat you over the top.

I suspect it is going to look and feel like the same d that they ran on Fitz.

Pats struggle with teams that can run and hit deep as they have marginal corners and safeties.

Couple that type of offense with the ability to manage the run but get hits on Brady and you e got the reason why the ravens and giant have been an Achilles for bellicheat.

I think BB will prepare for this game like he does any other game ....... he'll keep his schemes pretty basic, tossing in an array of 3 and 4 man lines all playing different gap concepts with minimal complexity or disguises.

BB's MO is to coach up his defense so that they make very few mistakes while waiting out the opponent expecting them to make the mistake first and then being in position to take advantage of said mistake. This, along with being out in front of opponents early, and often, in games, is why you see the Pats give up plenty of yardage totals. But, they are almost always a top 10 scoring defense.

Like others, I would expect BB to take away the running attack and put the pressure on the rookie QB to make the mistake(s). The Pats have an excellent rush defense and if they are able to stop the Bills running game without having to commit an extra defender down in the box, it will probably be a very long day for the Bills on offense.

If the Pats get out in front and into an early and comfortable lead, you'll probably see BB dial-up some more exotic packages/blitzes and such.

Edited by Pneumonic

If you were the Patriots, how would your game plan be different if you faced Manuel as opposed to Tuel?

Bellicheat will most likely focus on stopping the run first and see if either Manuel or Tuel can beat them in the passing game. Either way that cheater will disguise each front to try and confuse whichever rookie starts.

I really hope Manuel starts...

First play of bills offense should be a bomb to goodson straight down the sideline. The pats will stack the box and see if spiller can run through a few guys

Didn't they try this the first play of the Redskins game, Kolb to Graham? Hopefully different personnel can change the outcome but yeah, we need to establish a deep threat in order to be able to run. And keep Brady off the field. A hurry up offense of 3 and out is a recipe for disaster, and it won't matter whether we have EJ, Gilmore, Tuel or Brooks.