A Few Belated and Abbreviated Thoughts About The Game.....

I watched this game in a not so great surrounding in terms of this post. I'm saving up for week 1 as well. In any event, here are the aforementioned "thoughts.".....

1) Searcy has issues. He really isn't that talented. But imo he listens to his coaches and is a smart player. He follows through on every play. I for one hope that he makes this team.

2) When I came to this page I expected to see a lot of criticism about Gilmore. Then I realized that I am one of the only posters who is willing to do so. He completely sucked in every phase of the game. Maybe he will get better, ya know?

3) I liked what I saw from Glenn and even Pears. Glenn in particular looked to be in better shape.

4) Imo, the Redskins are a MUCH better team than the Colts or the Vikes.

5) Gideon come in with his eyes on the floor,

Says: Y'ain't got a hinge; you can't close the door.

Moses stood up a full six foot ten,

Says: You can't close the door when the wall's caved in.

6) Don't worry about Tuel. Did you think that there would be no setbacks?

7) Spiller got hit low before the TD. He should have been taken out at that point. I gotta tell ya that I was unimpressed by Marrone at that point. One thing that Spiller is NOT is a workhorse running back.

8) Kiko is a player. I am sure of this.

9) A disaster like this was bound to happen. It will happen in the real season as well. Let's hope that we can recover from it.

10) Hate to say it but Fred Jackson and Kyle Williams are more than likely both shot.

11) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Orakpo and Kerrigan are two very skilled pass rushers, Pears and Glenn did a fine job against them. Don't know if was Kerrigan that sacked Kolb after being pankacked by Pears, have to watch that play again, though.

Edited by Fixxxer

Orakpo and Kerrigan are two very skilled pass rushers, Pears and Glenn did a fine job against them. Don't know if was Kerrigan that sacked Kolb after being pankacked by Pears, have to watch that play again, though.

It was Brandon Jenkins who got the sack. Kolb basically ran into the sack.

... 10) Hate to say it but Fred Jackson and Kyle Williams are more than likely both shot.

KW didn't look too shot pursuing a play to the far sideline to make a tackle.

GO BILLS!!!

3) I liked what I saw from Glenn and even Pears. Glenn in particular looked to be in better shape.

I thought Glenn looked pretty good, but noticed some issues w Pears play for the first time this PS.

10) Hate to say it but Fred Jackson and Kyle Williams are more than likely both shot.

I get the concern about Fred (though he doesn't look shot to me, just declining). What makes you say that about Kyle? I don't see it at all.

Kyle looked fine to me. He was the only lineman moving laterally.

Fred Jackson, on the other hand, is at the end of the line. It always amazes me how quickly it happens to some players. Gonna miss him.

Also, what makes you think Searcy is smart and coachable? I've seen none of that...

2) When I came to this page I expected to see a lot of criticism about Gilmore. Then I realized that I am one of the only posters who is willing to do so. He completely sucked in every phase of the game. Maybe he will get better, ya know?

Bill - I look forward to your posts mostly because of your observations regarding he O-Line. You seem to notice footwork and other details that I don't understand very well. It makes me feel a little better when you say that guys like Glenn and Pears seem to be doing pretty well. The footwork that I did notice was the cornerbacks. If you think Gilmore played poorly, the other guys playing that position were much much worse.

2- I thought Gilmore was the only guy stopping every pass from being a TD. The guy regularly pulled off of his man to make a play on the receiver.

3- Totally agree. Wood is also a very talented center. Locking him up is a must, the only sticking point will be how much, which depends on injury this season. I suspect he remains a Bill for a reasonable price.

7- I think people don't give Gailey enough credit for getting a lot out of Spiller and Freddie. We will see what Spiller is made of this year. He may not be the same as last year, but it should be fun.

9- Agreed there will be a learning curve with a whole new coaching staff. Am I the only one who thought Marrone looked defeated during his presser. That had me a little worried. Also it seems like the press are just pushing Doug's buttons at this point, asking the same questions over and over again. I wanted to punch who ever was asking the first set of questions about injuries

10- Agreed. When Mario and Dareus are lined up next to each other, they seem to be almost undefendable, especially on that right side. I haven't noticed Kyle at all yet, which I guess isn't the worse thing in the world. Hopefully he rebounds

Because he follows through on plays. The man plays fundamental football. I openly admit that his skill set lacks, but a player like him can win you a game

Bill, You are one of my favorite posters but you have me stumped. I realize that you didn't extol the virtues of Searcy but being kind to him while being hyper critical to our best DB (Gilmore) has me mystified. Your infatuation with the sluggish Pears also has me perplexed.

With respect to your observation that the Skins are better than the Colts and Vikes it is interesting to note that Shanahan started his rebuild at the same time that Nix started his rebuild with Buffalo. It all comes down to evaluating talent, both college and pro players. In the comparison of the two franchises they showed how to remake an old and expensive roster into a younger and better valued roster. Not only did he overhaul the roster but he made a bold move to procure his franchise qb last year.

It's too early to make a judgment on Marrone. I was impressed with the way he conducted himself at the podium after the game. However, putting Spiller back in the game after he was on the ground was asinine. That made no sense. I'm also very troubled by the quick pace offense. Until the offense is better staffed the race horse pace is frought with danger. It places too much stress on a defense that has major vulnerabilities. Sometimes being innovative is not being very smart.

This year isn't about the record so much as it is about developing players, especially the qb. There is no option other than being patient unless one prefers to be in a constant state of peevishment..

Toughest parts of the game to take was Gilmore getting torched on back to back plays by a third string QB. Also Goodwin not pulling on that perfect bomb. You could not throw that much better than leading Goodwin a few feet. He needed to catch that for him to be what he needs to be.

I watched this game in a not so great surrounding in terms of this post. I'm saving up for week 1 as well. In any event, here are the aforementioned "thoughts.".....

1) Searcy has issues. He really isn't that talented. But imo he listens to his coaches and is a smart player. He follows through on every play. I for one hope that he makes this team.

7) Spiller got hit low before the TD. He should have been taken out at that point. I gotta tell ya that I was unimpressed by Marrone at that point. One thing that Spiller is NOT is a workhorse running back.

9) A disaster like this was bound to happen. It will happen in the real season as well. Let's hope that we can recover from it.

Fred has lost some power and speed, but what stands out most to me is his lost balance. He used to be able to transfer his weight and give defenders a jelly leg to tackle and then be able to either continue running or at least fall forward and finish the run. He is getting stopped cold. He couldn't hold onto the football last year but at least he still had some of the running ability.

1) not sure how he's kept his spot on the depth chart.

2) Gilmore is possibly the best player on the D. Sorry, you are just wrong on this.

3) o line looked to hold their own. Teul made them look worse.

4) bigger better stronger. Shocked if they don't own NFC east

5) sound deep but kinda shallow

6) he's a project. Just not the second coming of Brady or rom just yet. Sorry folks!

7) spiller is the most valuable asset us fans are aware of at the moment. The preseason carries for a stud running back are silly

8) he's good. Bills nation needs him to be great. We will see

9) it means about as much as the first two games. Lucky not to play them when it counts this year.

10) Kyle was the best d lineman in the game. Watch again. Freddy might fall into a Kevin Faulk role now.

11) yes! Bring on those patties.

2- I thought Gilmore was the only guy stopping every pass from being a TD. The guy regularly pulled off of his man to make a play on the receiver.

3- Totally agree. Wood is also a very talented center. Locking him up is a must, the only sticking point will be how much, which depends on injury this season. I suspect he remains a Bill for a reasonable price.

7- I think people don't give Gailey enough credit for getting a lot out of Spiller and Freddie. We will see what Spiller is made of this year. He may not be the same as last year, but it should be fun.

9- Agreed there will be a learning curve with a whole new coaching staff. Am I the only one who thought Marrone looked defeated during his presser. That had me a little worried. Also it seems like the press are just pushing Doug's buttons at this point, asking the same questions over and over again. I wanted to punch who ever was asking the first set of questions about injuries

10- Agreed. When Mario and Dareus are lined up next to each other, they seem to be almost undefendable, especially on that right side. I haven't noticed Kyle at all yet, which I guess isn't the worse thing in the world. Hopefully he rebounds

7) I think Gailey was the best "football coach" the Bills have had in a high ranking position since Chuck Knox. Unfortunately, he wasn't a good HEAD COACH......but in all honesty it's not like he hadn't thoroughly proven that at Georgia Tech. I think coaching offensive football is much more complicated than coaching defense and that's why you can get perhaps not the sharpest tools in the shed like Wannstedt, Gregg Williams and Wade Phillips coaching defensive football at a very high level. If they could have lured Cowher 4 years ago and he had hired Chan to be his OC they would have turned this around by now.

GO BILLS!!!

He was unblocked on that play.

Any time he was blocked...he stayed blocked. Kyle Williams is DONE! I watched the lines the entire game and KW looked awful to me. The again, maybe it's unfair to single him out. Nah...he was bad....

Edited by JPS

Bill, You are one of my favorite posters but you have me stumped. I realize that you didn't extol the virtues of Searcy but being kind to him while being hyper critical to our best DB (Gilmore) has me mystified. Your infatuation with the sluggish Pears also has me perplexed.

With respect to your observation that the Skins are better than the Colts and Vikes it is interesting to note that Shanahan started his rebuild at the same time that Nix started his rebuild with Buffalo. It all comes down to evaluating talent, both college and pro players. In the comparison of the two franchises they showed how to remake an old and expensive roster into a younger and better valued roster. Not only did he overhaul the roster but he made a bold move to procure his franchise qb last year.

It's too early to make a judgment on Marrone. I was impressed with the way he conducted himself at the podium after the game. However, putting Spiller back in the game after he was on the ground was asinine. That made no sense. I'm also very troubled by the quick pace offense. Until the offense is better staffed the race horse pace is frought with danger. It places too much stress on a defense that has major vulnerabilities. Sometimes being innovative is not being very smart.

This year isn't about the record so much as it is about developing players, especially the qb. There is no option other than being patient unless one prefers to be in a constant state of peevishment..

Let us not give too much credit to the Shanahan's....The star of that team last year was not RGIII but Alfred Morris.....His running changed their team. And the lucked out with his drafting.

Any time he was blocked...he stayed blocked. Kyle Williams is DONE! I watched the lines the entire game and KW looked awful to me. The again, maybe it's unfair to single him out. Nah...he was bad....

I agree. This front four has to take the blame in their inability to stop the run in the past three+ seasons. And Kyle Williams is a constant in that line. He has to be able to take some responsibility. KW is too small and gets powered off the line by stronger OL.

Spare me. Whenever you have a DT running 25 yards to to the opposite sideline to chase down a player in order to make a tackle, he's anything but shot. While he didn't have as many plays yesterday, he was explosive off the ball against the Colts and Vikings. We must be watching two different Kyles because he is certainly not done by any stretch.

GO BILLS!!!

Spare me. Whenever you have a DT running 25 yards to to the opposite sideline to chase down a player in order to make a tackle, he's anything but shot. While he didn't have as many plays yesterday, he was explosive off the ball against the Colts and Vikings. We must be watching two different Kyles because he is certainly not done by any stretch.

GO BILLS!!!

Completely agree. That play where he chased the sweep down was from a 0 tech on the nose btw. Awesome play. He's never been an explosive playmaker. He's an excellent technician who is always in his gap and always maintaining control. He has been blowing up offensive lineman all preseason. That's huge for stopping the run. It would be nice to see him get off a few blocks and make big plays, but the man controls his gap. While it would be great if he came off into another gap to make a big play, it's our linebackers that need to get off blocks and fill their gaps as well.

GO BILLS!!!

But that is exactly the problem. You don't want your DT to be a sprinter and run like a Linebacker. You want your DT to hold the point of attack and close any running holes. Unfortunately, ever since we have had KW play the DT position we have been in the bottom in the Run game. I hope Alan Branch will take more time clogging the middle and KW remains on the bench.,

Let us not give too much credit to the Shanahan's....The star of that team last year was not RGIII but Alfred Morris.....His running changed their team. And the lucked out with his drafting.

The late round draft pick used by the Skins to select Morris was acquired in Shanahan's trade of Haynesworth. There is no doubt that Morris had a superb year last year but the player who catapulted that team into the playoffs was RGIII. In three years Shanahan dramatically overturned that roster and has put it in position to be a SB competing team. Shanahan and his staff have done a tremendous job in rebuilding a very flawed roster that they inherited three years ago. You might not want to give him much credit but I do. Compare what he has accomplished to what the Bills have accomplished in the same time frame and then make a judgment as to how good a job he has done?

But that is exactly the problem. You don't want your DT to be a sprinter and run like a Linebacker. You want your DT to hold the point of attack and close any running holes. Unfortunately, ever since we have had KW play the DT position we have been in the bottom in the Run game. I hope Alan Branch will take more time clogging the middle and KW remains on the bench.,

It was a sweep for crissakes and I'm STILL waiting for the LB to make an appearance. And if Kyle Williams is holding his gap, which he does, where is the fill? It's too easy to just blame the DL when your run game sucks, but from where I'm sitting, we haven't had LBs with half a clue for as many years as Kyle has been at the position.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Agreed on Searcy, he just isn't NFL caliber.

As far as Gilmore, I have to strongly disagree. He may not have had the best game, but he is still a very good corner. Plus, the defense looked a little more vanilla this game, not many exotic sets, not many blitzes, no pressure on the QB. That's why you can't get too high or low in the pre-season.

Fred will be ok as a backup, I have no worries about him. Kyle Williams is still a beast and he's not 100%...

GO BILLS!!!!

Duke Williams must be taking a long time to develop is Searcy is still the #3 safety behind Byrd and A. Williams...as for his coachability, I'm just not sure how you reach that conclusion.

Not his best game, but you're way over-stating. I can't help but think it's your anger over 1st round DBs clouding your judgement here.

I continue to believe that when the OL becomes this team's biggest problem, they'll be in the thick of the playoff hunt

Hard to tell from pre-season, but they have a very good front 7 and can run the ball against anyone

If this guy has to play any meaningful time this year, it's going to be UGLY

I wouldn't even be playing Spiller in the pre-season. What's there to gain? As for him not being a workhorse...well, when have they ever tried to make him one that shows you he can't?

Agreed...not his best game (just like everyone else), but his instincts are very good and he's very well-rounded.

Yep. Young team, new coaches, etc...have to expect some highlights and lowlights.

Fred hasn't looked good, but Kyle can still play.

Indeed.

The late round draft pick used by the Skins to select Morris was acquired in Shanahan's trade of Haynesworth. There is no doubt that Morris had a superb year last year but the player who catapulted that team into the playoffs was RGIII. In three years Shanahan dramatically overturned that roster and has put it in position to be a SB competing team. Shanahan and his staff have done a tremendous job in rebuilding a very flawed roster that they inherited three years ago. You might not want to give him much credit but I do. Compare what he has accomplished to what the Bills have accomplished in the same time frame and then make a judgment as to how good a job he has done?

RGIII was a large reason for their success. But his style of play and slight build aren't conducive to a long career.

I agree. This front four has to take the blame in their inability to stop the run in the past three+ seasons. And Kyle Williams is a constant in that line. He has to be able to take some responsibility. KW is too small and gets powered off the line by stronger OL.

Did Shanahan also luck out on 6th round pick Terrell Davis for Denver? Its kinda what Shanny does is find those 6th round RB's that can overachieve like Morris. All I know is between Morris and his 1613 yards rushing last year along with RG3 and his 816 yards rushing The Redskins had the #4 offense in points, the #5 offense in yards and the #1 rushing team in the NFL last year. Like someone else pointed out, Shanny took over the same year the Bills hired Buddy Nix. One team made the playoffs and the other is rebuilding again...

When I watch games like this one (even in week 3, pre season) it tells me one team is ready for the start of the season and the other is not even close to being ready. Look at the stats in this game and the disparity between the teams is downright alarming. Not just because an undrafted rookie QB is behind center for the bills most of the game. The Redskins utilized a 4th string QB most of the game, and a QB who probably won't even make the final roster. The Bills defense and running game also went south and never came back.

I know its only one game... but now it makes me wonder if Marrone and his new "quick paced" offense is Jauron-esque, as when ole Dicky stated the team was going "no huddle", and then abandoned it after a few weeks into the regular season. All we as Bills fans can do is listen to all the "sound bites" coming from the new regime and hope they can back up their words with some wins.

Did Shanahan also luck out on 6th round pick Terrell Davis for Denver? Its kinda what Shanny does is find those 6th round RB's that can overachieve like Morris. All I know is between Morris and his 1613 yards rushing last year along with RG3 and his 816 yards rushing The Redskins had the #4 offense in points, the #5 offense in yards and the #1 rushing team in the NFL last year. Like someone else pointed out, Shanny took over the same year the Bills hired Buddy Nix. One team made the playoffs and the other is rebuilding again...

When I watch games like this one (even in week 3, pre season) it tells me one team is ready for the start of the season and the other is not even close to being ready. Look at the stats in this game and the disparity between the teams is downright alarming. Not just because an undrafted rookie QB is behind center for the bills most of the game. The Redskins utilized a 4th string QB most of the game, and a QB who probably won't even make the final roster. The Bills defense and running game also went south and never came back.

I know its only one game... but now it makes me wonder if Marrone and his new "quick paced" offense is Jauron-esque, as when ole Dicky stated the team was going "no huddle", and then abandoned it after a few weeks into the regular season. All we as Bills fans can do is listen to all the "sound bites" coming from the new regime and hope they can back up their words with some wins.

Nobody was questioning the fast-paced offense during the 1st two weeks when the Bills led the league in offensive plays from scrimmage. I don't think an evaluation of this offense is appropriate until they have EJ running it in live regular season action.

RGIII was a large reason for their success. But his style of play and slight build aren't conducive to a long career.

I agree with your comments. The HC, OC and qb all recognize that the play calling and the qb's approach to the game has to change. A lot of the "public spilling of thoughts" have to do with this issue. RGIII is a smart guy (although he has diva tendencies that I find unattractive) who has acknowledged,as has the HC, that the qb has to tone down his game and make himself less vulnerable. .

In the prior post I was responding to a poster who diminished the role of the qb in the team's success. I'm very comfortable in my position that the qb was the most important reason why that team took a quantum leap forward. He is a dynamic player who needs to play smarter.

I was at the game at FEDEX and a few thing I took from the game are:

1. As a whole, the Bills effort was pathetic.

2. it seemed that even though the Skins went right down the field and scored, the Bills did with their second possession. The next Bills' series they were going in to score again when Stevie Johnson, as he often does, fumbles the ball in a crucial situation and it really seemed like from that point on the Bills were just going through the motions. They would walk slower back to the defensive huddle then someone walking to his execution would walk. I really can't even point out one player who I can say had a really good game.

3. Even despite the lackluster effort, they still had chances for big plays given to them and they failed. Brooks and Gilmore had Grossman throws hit them in the numbers and they dropped the ball. Two fumbles, one from them and one from Robey's fumbled punts had Bills players the first one on top of the ball and if both circumstances they let it be ripped away from them.

4. Tackling was horrendous. Alot of the 200+ yards rushing for the Skins were through gaping holes, but alot of it was also missed tackles, many at or behind the line of scrimmage.

5. Alot of people criticize Joe Theissman, but at least one thing he said makes alot of sense. The hurry up offense that the Bills are running is great, but you have to get first downs. When they go 3 and out over and over like they did Saturday, no defense, much less one that doesn't have a great history of being good anyway, can withstand that much time on the field. Our bad offense may be our defenses' worst enemy this year.

6. Not sure about everyone, but I am sure I am not the only person who with the little optimism from the first two preseason games, that is long gone, and it sure appears we are in for another long, playoffless season at One Bills Drive.

I thought Glenn looked pretty good, but noticed some issues w Pears play for the first time this PS.

I get the concern about Fred (though he doesn't look shot to me, just declining). What makes you say that about Kyle? I don't see it at all.

Fred has lost at least part of a step, but there weren't may holes to run through either. The only run Spiller had of any success was outside and only because of his speed not the blocking. Edited by BuffBill

1) not sure how he's kept his spot on the depth chart.

2) Gilmore is possibly the best player on the D. Sorry, you are just wrong on this.

3) o line looked to hold their own. Teul made them look worse.

4) bigger better stronger. Shocked if they don't own NFC east

5) sound deep but kinda shallow

6) he's a project. Just not the second coming of Brady or rom just yet. Sorry folks!

7) spiller is the most valuable asset us fans are aware of at the moment. The preseason carries for a stud running back are silly

8) he's good. Bills nation needs him to be great. We will see

9) it means about as much as the first two games. Lucky not to play them when it counts this year.

10) Kyle was the best d lineman in the game. Watch again. Freddy might fall into a Kevin Faulk role now.

11) yes! Bring on those patties.

Agree w/ OP on Gilmore... he had a horrible game Saturday even excluding the INT drop

Tuel really hurt himself with his performance, he started well and then seemed to lose confidence after he got stymied a few times. Without an exceptional performance Thursday, he might be headed to PS as soon as EJ can start

No problem w/ Freddie in Faulk role. He certainly has slowed down, but we had to expect some of that. I hope he can still be an effective situational back for another 1-2 years behind Spiller. Thurman had his Kenneth Davis who we all loved and hopefully he can be that at this stage

Just re-watched every defensive snap of the first half and watched Kyle exclusively. He was even better than what I saw the first time. Didn't get pushed back at all, was fast off the ball, and relentless in pursuit. The closest he came to a poor play was when Halu fumbled and recovered after a 12 yard run. He popped it outside after faking into the center of the line and Kyle was actually playing his technique correctly by crashing to his right. Mario bit on the read option fake and stuck with Pat White and there was NOBODY at the corner when Halu made his cut back. It would have been a great play by Kyle to make.

After reviewing that half, I'm convinced half of us don't know when he's in the game (the DL was constantly being rotated) and the other half just aren't seeing what he's doing.

If every DL we had played like Kyle Williams, we'd have no problems except our (still) inept LBs. They had a BAD first half. And the secondary looked even more confused upon review.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

GO BILLS!!!

KW isn't shot. He is recovering from a serious surgery still.

Bagging on the only NFL CB we have is hilarious. Especially since he was playing injured. Have you read any national pundits pieces on Gilmore? Could everyone be wrong and your correct?

#7+8 I totally agree with you on. Kiko Alonso was a steal for us and will have to be dead for the coach's to drag him off the field. CJ isn't a workhorse. Marrone and company let me down when they let him go back out there after the TD. It's preseason. He came up hobbling. Plaster his ass to the bench. Not to mention I still have concerns about him being our goal line back. We had how many other options within 5 yards?

Fred definitely looks like he lost a step.

Completely disagree about Gilmore.

Nobody was questioning the fast-paced offense during the 1st two weeks when the Bills led the league in offensive plays from scrimmage. I don't think an evaluation of this offense is appropriate until they have EJ running it in live regular season action.

There are strong indications that our defense has major vulnerabilities on defense. Running a fast paced offense with a suspect OL, a rookie qb and very inexperienced receivers is a taking a big gamble. The longer this defense is on the field the greater probability it is going to be exploited.

The first two preseason games normally don't tell you much as far as what your team's capabilities are because too many substitutions are made for the purpose of evaluating players.

EJ is probably going to have the typical rookie struggles that most rookie qbs undergo. He is far from being an Andrew Luck, RGIII and Russell Wilson caliber of rookie qb who will quickly adapt to the pro game. The Skins game is an indication of what a rebuilding team can do to itself when it trys to out gimmick the opposition. The staff needs to re-think its offensive strategy or the Bills are going to be frequently pummelled. Sometimes trying to outsmart people ends up outsmarting yourself. Keeping it simple makes more sense at this point than trying to get ahead of oneself.

Edited by JohnC

KW isn't shot. He is recovering from a serious surgery still.

Bagging on the only NFL CB we have is hilarious. Especially since he was playing injured. Have you read any national pundits pieces on Gilmore? Could everyone be wrong and you're correct?

#7+8 I totally agree with you on. Kiko Alonso was a steal for us and will have to be dead for the coach's to drag him off the field. CJ isn't a workhorse. Marrone and company let me down when they let him go back out there after the TD. It's preseason. He came up hobbling. Plaster his ass to the bench. Not to mention I still have concerns about him being our goal line back. We had how many other options within 5 yards?

I'm surprised by bill in ny. Gilmore is the real deal man. This year he was going to be a true shut down corner. I was not happy with leodis' play year 2 or 3. but Gilmore being a star is very noticeable. I'm surprised. I'm also a poster that goes against the current,but I think you're wrong about Gilmore.

I can see how you think Freddy is shot. It's still a little early. The games dont count. His slower speed is evident. I'll give you that. But the injury and preseason in nature may be a reason. I can give him a shot at #2. At least this coach is not having a freddy/cj competition.... At least...