If (as advertised) it's a fair fight, then Tuel is winning.

alias

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no chance that he is the starting QB until EJ gets a chance to display his true potential. If EJ fails after a year or two (hopefully not) then they may look in another direction.

How 'bout we look in every direction right now and save ourselves "a year or two."

I think the biggest Jump Tuel may make is over Kolb if he does not play well. Although having 2 rookies on a roster is a scary proposition, it worked out well in DC last year. I think it's EJ's to loose at this point, and Kolb and Tuel will be battling for 2nd. On another note, who cares what happens in practice. There are great practice players, and great game players. I will be judging based on the game performance. I think Marrone owes it to himself to put all 3 QB's against #1 competition, not only to sort out the starter, but also to sort out who should be #2, because if needed, the #2 will be playing against #1 defenses.

This is the dumbest thread since Mario for Skelton (sorry Barbarian).

There's lots of competition though.

:)

As you implied though, the odds of him getting the nod over Manuel are nonexistent at this point.

Coach Marrone was emphatic about letting the results determine who starts. Right now, if we knew nothing about draft position, veteran experience, and all that blah-blah, then Tuel is ahead in this fight.

If the argument against Tuel is, "But he's playing against third stringers," then let him start against the first stringers and let us see what we shall see...

"Fair" should be fair.

Remember when Joique Bell was "winning" the RB competition? Remember when he looked like the second coming of Thurman in preseason? Then do you remember that he was running against second, third and camp-fodder stringers? Same deal here.

Remember when Joique Bell was "winning" the RB competition? Remember when he looked like the second coming of Thurman in preseason? Then do you remember that he was running against second, third and camp-fodder stringers? Same deal here.

You're completely wrong! Marrone and Hackett are in on this too. :lol:

I smell fear amongst the EJ apologists. Wouldn't it benefit EJ (and, more importantly, the Buffalo Bills) if the starting QB emerged from a fair fight?

I'm not for or against either EJ or Kolb or Tuel. I'm for identifying the best QB of the Buffalo Bills.

Doubts are lingering, and they won't be dispelled without a truly fair competition.

Please answer post #10

While admittedly it would be entertaining, I don't think Coach will put EJ in this Friday for the entire second half against the Vike's stock clerks and insurance salesmen. I'll bet he'd have a blast going long ball for 30 minutes. But I doubt he'd learn much a out EJ that he doesn't already know.

I think EJ will again play the entire first half - or at the least - six possessions. Kolb will be next up - for a quarter and Tuel will get sloppy thirds.

This is hilarious. A lot of fans wanted to get right of Fitz. In his first game as a rookie in the REGULAR season, Fitz came off the bench to throw for 310 yards & 3 tds. http://www.nfl.com/player/ryanfitzpatrick/2506581/gamelogs?season=2005

Now folks want our starter to be an undrafted guy who has no real track record of success because he played good in a half of a preseason game against guys who probably won't be in the NFL?

I liked what I say out of Tuel but man, so of you overreact to everything. It's Manuel's job.

Tuel looked great but keep in mind part of that was the Bills staying aggressive against the Colts scrubs. Maybe Jim Irsay had a point about his team being unprepared. Most teams are just running out the clock late in pre-season games, not running up the score.

All I know is that I hope one of these guys pans out. We haven't had a good starting QB since Bledsoe left a decade ago.

Bledsoe? The guy was a statue. Herman Munster was more mobile.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

The best guy will be chosen.

FWIW, Tuel played against third / fourth stringers (like himself) and soon-to-be truck drivers and benefitted from a defense worn down by an offense that played 15 more plays on average than any other NFL team.

We're in a good situation. Both rookies look above average, and our veteran we already know is serviceable. I think he actually might be slightly better than Fitz who we know will be a solid backup.

I have a good feeling about both of these rookies. They just seem to have IT, EJ especially. Can't describe it. It's there though.

I'm in the camp of giving EJ starting reps, but by no means has Kolb somehow EARNED second-team reps. Seriously. He's flat out sucked. If Tuel can take the second spot, which I know is a long shot, then so be it. But we'd be a laughing stock as a team if our first round pick loses out to an undrafted rookie in camp.

I'm in the camp of giving EJ starting reps, but by no means has Kolb somehow EARNED second-team reps. Seriously. He's flat out sucked. If Tuel can take the second spot, which I know is a long shot, then so be it. But we'd be a laughing stock as a team if our first round pick loses out to an undrafted rookie in camp.

We're the laughing stock right now!

Shouldn't this thread be moved to OTW with a title "Hot for Tuel"??

It should be moved to otw with the the title of "Would Ya?"

In four years at WSU, Tuel played in 31 games, with 26 starts, and threw 33 TD passes against 25 ints. He was benched in his senior season, and then was undrafted. He has played well as a prospect, but has never even played against second stringers.

Here is a seemingly accurate scouting report on him.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/college_player_scouting_report.html&player=42701

Here is the explanation by Chris Brown that it was just one play, btw...

Bills rookie QB EJ Manuel has certainly received positive reviews for his performance in the preseason opener against the Colts. During the first half there was a time where his helmet speaker cut out preventing him from getting the play call from offensive quality control coach Jason Vrable, who gets it from offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett upstairs.

Manuel unable to hear a play call wound up calling a play of his own.

“I just called another play,” said Manuel matter of factly. ”We try to know our offense as well as our OC, so when it didn’t work I didn’t freak out or anything I just called another play.”

When asked how he knew what to call Manuel said he just leaned on his firm working knowledge of the playbook.

“You just rely on what you’ve learned and we actually got positive yardage,” he said. ”We didn’t take a step back or anything like that.”

Manuel did not reveal the play or the time in the game when he had to make his own call.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/08/12/ej-had-answers-when-helmet-speaker-failed/

I smell fear amongst the EJ apologists. Wouldn't it benefit EJ (and, more importantly, the Buffalo Bills) if the starting QB emerged from a fair fight?

I'm not for or against either EJ or Kolb or Tuel. I'm for identifying the best QB of the Buffalo Bills.

Doubts are lingering, and they won't be dispelled without a truly fair competition.

I would suspect that despite your doubts, Coach Marrone knows what he sees day to day and is in a somewhat better position than you to decide. The idea that Tuel is a starter is beyond far fetched.

It's funny that scouting reports say Tuel has little arm strength, but he has thrown a bunch of really nice looking passes during practice and in the preseason game.

I wasn't at the scrimmage, but there was a report I saw from people there watching (it was on twitter) that two of the three long passes he threw that were caught, were both short, especially the one to Da'Rick who was open by 10-15 yards. Anyone who was there and saw them live please comment. Tuel does not have a strong arm but it's probably strong enough. It's not a weak arm.

LOL ... every player "has potential." That's an overused cliche.

Tuel did nothing impressive at WSU and won't in the NFL. He had a good game against 3's and 4's that will be on the waiver wire soon, that's all. Failed collegiate talent.

If he turns into a solid backup be glad.

Tuel leaves WSU as the most accurate quarterback in school history, completing 61.4 percent of his passes. I guess impressive is in the eye of the beholder. I am not saying that he will ever be our starter, but what I DID say is that he provides depth at the position which is something that has been sorely lacking in recent years. I wasn't putting too much credence in his performance in a pre-season game against backups. In fact, if you actually read my post, I said "Let's hope we don't need him this year.", implying that he will be a backup. I was merely trying to acknowledge to the OP that he does have potential. And if you don't like the word then too bad. It is defined as thus,

1. The inherent ability or capacity for growth, development, or coming into being.

2. Something possessing the capacity for growth or development.

By the way, the word cliche usually refers to a phrase or expression, not a single word like "potential". It's definition is as follows. "a trite, stereotyped expression; a sentence or phrase, usually expressing a popular or common thought or idea" So I have to disregard your criticism since you didn't even understand my original post.