If (as advertised) it's a fair fight, then Tuel is winning.

alias

Tuel leaves WSU as the most accurate quarterback in school history, completing 61.4 percent of his passes. I guess impressive is in the eye of the beholder.

61.4 completion percentage in a career is great. Less than 200 yards passing per game and one TD and one INT per game on average is lousy.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jeff-tuel-1.html

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would like to see EJ get all the starts in preseason. He needs the practice. I don't care about Tuel he is a backup till EJ goes down.

The coaches know this and that is all that matters. I don't care about some forum members couch potato analysis.

Now only if the Patriots took your approach we'd never have had to get our @$$es handed to us for the majority of the last decade+....

This is a legitimate statement being made by the OP, and I can't say it didn't cross my mind either. Until you find out properly, there's no way to know. This isn't a knock on EJ, but Tuel did look far more poised in that first pre-season game, so it's fair to see what he can go against #1s. And I was thoroughly impressed with his ball placement and grasp of the offense.

I like Tuel but I don't think he has all the tools to be a starter at this point. What Im seeing from EJ I haven't seen that in a Bills QB in a long time.

Agreed, which is why I think most will be surprised if EJ is not the starter against the Patsies. I think the real question here is if Tuel beats out Kolb, will Marrone have the kahonas to appoint Tuel EJ's back-up, and even go so far as to release Kolb if two QB's on the roster is their plan. That would be super gutsy in lieu of the fact that they are both rookies.

I would like to see Tuel with the starters. That way, if he sucks, we get people to stop bitching and moaning about why we're holding him back. If he's good, we have trade bait for when Sanchez and Gabbert crash and burn.

Good gravy...the back-up IS the most popular QB on the roster...

Hah! I was thinking the exact same thing!

61.4 completion percentage in a career is great. Less than 200 yards passing per game and one TD and one INT per game on average is lousy.

http://www.sports-re...eff-tuel-1.html

Guys you are making too much out of this. Tuel was hurt most of his college careeer. He went undrafted because he did not have enough of a body of work because of injury. All I said was that he has potential and would be a decent backup with the hope that we won't need him. I stand by that and he does have talent. He was very highly regarded after his freshman year then had a series of injuries. I did not predict greatness for him, and I disagreed with the OP that he would win the starting job. I just said that he has potential and provides depth at a position where it has been sorely lacking. I thought that was a fairly harmless assessment, but obviously some people here are experts on Tuel and have seen every pass that he has ever thrown and thus are much more qualified to judge his abilities as a BACKUP QB.

Coach Marrone was emphatic about letting the results determine who starts. Right now, if we knew nothing about draft position, veteran experience, and all that blah-blah, then Tuel is ahead in this fight.

If the argument against Tuel is, "But he's playing against third stringers," then let him start against the first stringers and let us see what we shall see...

"Fair" should be fair.

You're 100% correct. Teul is absolutely dominating the competition for third string QB. Lock! If the bills keep one.

Now only if the Patriots took your approach we'd never have had to get our @$$es handed to us for the majority of the last decade+....

This is a legitimate statement being made by the OP, and I can't say it didn't cross my mind either. Until you find out properly, there's no way to know. This isn't a knock on EJ, but Tuel did look far more poised in that first pre-season game, so it's fair to see what he can go against #1s. And I was thoroughly impressed with his ball placement and grasp of the offense.

Patsies didn't start Tommy a few games into year 2 due to an injury.

As a rookie he was 1/3 for 6 yds.

Pats did take that approach... Brady didn't start till Drew got hurt. Next...

Guys you are making too much out of this. Tuel was hurt most of his college careeer. He went undrafted because he did not have enough of a body of work because of injury. All I said was that he has potential and would be a decent backup with the hope that we won't need him. I stand by that and he does have talent. He was very highly regarded after his freshman year then had a series of injuries. I did not predict greatness for him, and I disagreed with the OP that he would win the starting job. I just said that he has potential and provides depth at a position where it has been sorely lacking. I thought that was a fairly harmless assessment, but obviously some people here are experts on Tuel and have seen every pass that he has ever thrown and thus are much more qualified to judge his abilities as a BACKUP QB.

True, and they are not considering to even let him practice against first teamers. Yes, the fact is that he was hurt a lot of his college career. But it's also a fact that he was benched, I think for three games, in the middle of his senior season by Mike Leach. And I don't think that was due to injury. He allegedly had great workouts and pro days and still no one drafted him. You are not the one beating the drum to try him as a starter, but this thread is nuts.

I am, however, glad we have him. It's possible he's a diamond in the rough. But this eerily reminds me of the Trent Edwards situation when fans would give him all kinds of credit for things he wasn't doing. So far, Tuel has shown some good signs, in about 3 of the 15 or so things you have to do to be a good QB in this league.

I agree with the posting that the end times must be here .... such utter insanity! And, who ever said that Tuel was part of a "fair fight?" The quarterback competition to become the BILLS's starting quarterback has always been EJ versus Kolb ... end of discussion. What is with this small club of EJ haters that is making the rounds of GR call-in shows, the post game show (that was painful to listen to the first few callers who clearly will never support EJ as the Bills' quarterback (Mmm, I wonder if there is an underlying reason for their immediate dislike of him being the team's leader other than his use of initials for his first name?), and now here on this board. It's as if the bile has been accumulating since draft day and we now have found a nice plain bread kind of guy in Tuel who shines in a preseason game and the practice immediately following the game. I will admit, I am excited about Tuel's upside as our #2 quarterback (Maybe not this year but for years to come.). I can envision a Manuel-Tuel quarterback combo along the lines of Kelly and Reich. But, since camp opened Tuel has had some serious issues from all of the reports I have read and he does not have the skill set of EJ. I want him to do well but I want the quarterback of our future, EJ, to get all the reps he needs now so that when the season arrives he is ready for the real game! If the Bill's become a point producing machine with a defense that shuts down opponents then Tuel Time can be a reality too. GO EJ ... GO BILLS!

The existence of this kind of thread makes me almost embarrassed to be a Bills fan.

Manuel played with and against first stringers, then against second stringers in one preseason game.

Tuel played with and against against 2nd and third stringers in one preseason game.

This, and some reading material is the extent of the majority of fans information.

Marrone has seen everything fans have seen, plus countless meetings with both QB's, viewing tape, and lots of other things fans are not privy to. Not to mention he is a freaking NFL head coach with just a little more insight than fans on a message board.

Let Marrone decide which QB is "winning". A fan making a statement that Tuel, or Manuel, is "winning" is asinine.

Edited by CodeMonkey

You can always tell who wants a QB in the 1st and who didn't. The difference is the EJ has a ceiling about 45 floors higher than Tuel's. I like Tuel and think that he has had a great camp. I for one am in favor of starting the guy that coul develop into Cam Newton not the guy that could develop into Matt Flynn.

Both Manuel and Tuel have better physical tools than Tom Brady. If either could have a remotely Brady-like career, it would be an incredible victory for the Bills.

Back in the '90s, an UDFA QB tried out for the Packers. The Packers weren't thrilled with what they saw of him, so they released him. He then went to work at a minimum wage job. A year or two later, Kurt Warner tried out for the St. Louis Rams; and the rest is history.

I'll grant that for every Kurt Warner story, there are very many Levi Brown stories. Statistically, the odds are heavily against Tuel becoming a starting-caliber quarterback. On the other hand, he has all the physical tools he needs. Plus he was accurate. And he seemed like he had a good command of the mental side of the game. This last point is the weakest. The preseason consists of vanilla offenses going up against vanilla defenses. Just because a QB has a strong grasp of a situation like that, does not mean he'll have equal mental command when the complexity of the regular season appears. The same could be said about Manuel's preseason performance.

The OP just unleashed the Kracken all over TBD.. LOL... I think all the people who want Tuel to start are the one who had girly Fitz that Fitz sucked balls and didn't want to draft EJ but wanted Nassib or Barkley. By the way how are they doing.. LMAO.... I like Tuel more than Kolb but I know better and he's far from ready to be a back-up. I mean he played me and my co-workers sunday afternoon what did you expect?

shoretalk, there are haters here and have been for quite some time now. People hated Chan and Buddy because they hated how they sounded. People picked sides with QBs, RBs, WRs, the FO and others. It's not the same here anymore. It's not the place to have an honest and civil discussion amongst Bills fans these days. The community is la lesser place now as a result. Discussions get acrimonious in a heartbeat. It's sad, really.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jeff-tuel-1.html

61% in college is not that special. He averaged 6.9 ypa. To compare, EJ completed 66.9% on 8.6 ypa.

Again, Tuel played really well but people need perspective. How many did we hear about great Brian Hoyer was for the Pats because of preseason?