The hole at left guard

WIDE LEFT

It's more than a little frustrating reading how the Bills are struggling all training camp with weak play at the left guard position. There have not, in recent years and beyond, been very many successful draft choices. Levitre was a great choice, and after finally hitting on a good draft pick he is gone after four years, just as he enters the prime of his career. I don't know how you build long term success when you let your few successful draft choices walk. I wonder if Byrd is next.

So now a weakness exists where there was a strength. And Bills sitting 20 million plus under the cap. This is not to argue that the Bills should have matched the mega contract Levitre got, but rather that they should have recognized a quality player and extended his contract early on, where the cost would have been manageable, something akin to what Pats did with Gronkowski.

Hopefully the Bills can get by with Brown or Legursky this year at LG. After reading about Cordy Glenn struggle against speed rushers and Mike Mayock glowing about the probowl possibilities of Glenn at LG, I would like the Bills to draft a LT next year & have Glenn switch to LG. With Glenn's size, I feel he would open up huge holes in the run game.

$9M for Levitre. $9M for Byrd. Then what?

PTR

This makes no sense because there never was $9M for Levitre, and there may not be that much for Byrd.

I think most fans who were on board with the Levitre move thought that the Bills would pony up for the other one. I understood the Levitre move, but only in the context of keeping Byrd - not in the context of letting go of two Pro Bowl caliber players.

This makes no sense because there never was $9M for Levitre, and there may not be that much for Byrd.

I think most fans who were on board with the Levitre move thought that the Bills would pony up for the other one. I understood the Levitre move, but only in the context of keeping Byrd - not in the context of letting go of two Pro Bowl caliber players.

We let go of Byrd?!?

Edited by Meatloaf Sandwich

Maybe the long-term plan is to find a LT and move Glenn over to LG. If this is the case, it may be tough to watch the left side of the o-line this year. I do not understand going into the season with Brown and Legursky as the possible starters. While it can be argued that signing Levitre to the contract he received from the Titans would have been a mistake, you would think that signing a mid-tier LG would have made sense considering the Bills have more than $20 million in cap space. The o-line may need considerable revamping in the future, particularly with Wood being a free agent next year.

I really don't agree with the posters who claim that finding guards is easy. I remember what we had after Ruben and before Levitre, and it was not pretty.

We let go of Byrd?!?

Of course not. But unless they intend to franchise him over and over again or to trade him, I believe they would be offering him a multiyear contract, which is what I hope they will do. So far, he isn't on the roster, ergo, they don't have either of these players in the fold. It's fine to say you can't pay everybody, and it's stupid to pay none of your homegrown talents (at least not the right ones).

Levitre and Byrd have each provided as much actual production as McKelvin has unfulfilled promise. Yet only one of those three is here in camp with the Bills.

Byrd isn't in camp by his choice not the Bills. They offered him an extension but he declined bc he wants to be the highest paid safety in the league

Levitre was the Bills best lineman but with Wood also needing a new contract they couldn't realistically sign both to extensions so I don't have a problem with not resigning Levitre. I do have a problem with them not getting a legit replacement and thinking they can just plug any slop in at LG

There is no reason to move Glenn to LG. he had a good rookie year and they haven't even played a preseason game yet

Edited by Max997

I really don't agree with the posters who claim that finding guards is easy. I remember what we had after Ruben and before Levitre, and it was not pretty.

Neither do I. As we saw in this years draft, teams are going with the athletic guards early and often. Who'd have thought Kyle Long would go where he did anyway? There's a shift toward more mobile guys playing a position where dinosaurs like Nix thought he could insert plodding types who don't move well but win in the phone booth.

One of the common denominators over multiple GM tenures has been an unwillingness to draft and retain their offensive linemen. Not doing so means that the shiny parts like their high picks at QB, RB, and WR don't function as well. Did all of these GM's and HC's have the same philosophy about building an OL or is someone else making decisions?

Edited by BillsVet

Maybe the long-term plan is to find a LT and move Glenn over to LG. If this is the case, it may be tough to watch the left side of the o-line this year. I do not understand going into the season with Brown and Legursky as the possible starters. While it can be argued that signing Levitre to the contract he received from the Titans would have been a mistake, you would think that signing a mid-tier LG would have made sense considering the Bills have more than $20 million in cap space. The o-line may need considerable revamping in the future, particularly with Wood being a free agent next year.

Once the first week of FA went by, there were no such guards that you deem were mid-tier. May be if you could support your theory with real names, the discussion would be more useful.

Actually Nix said on several occasions that you draft tackles and move them to guard.

Nix made mention of the size of some of the OL guys he's acquired, particularly PS pickup Urbik who goes about 330. I don't recall him saying this, but if his OL picks in the draft are any evidence, he subscribed to the bigger is always better mentality of OL. Glenn is 345, which most NFL tackles aren't even close to while guys like Asper, Colin Brown, Pears, and Sam Young and others are not what I would call nimble and mobile.

Besides, teams move college tackles to guard because they can't handle the speed of the NFL. Or they move them to guard as a last resort because a player they thought could play OT actually couldn't. It's looking like Glenn fits into the latter category despite what the team is saying now.

Edited by BillsVet

Nix made mention of the size of some of the OL guys he's acquired, particularly PS pickup Urbik who goes about 330. I don't recall him saying this, but if his OL picks in the draft are any evidence, he subscribed to the bigger is always better mentality of OL.

He said it the January press conference. Once again, you show you're not paying attention.

Nix made mention of the size of some of the OL guys he's acquired, particularly PS pickup Urbik who goes about 330. I don't recall him saying this, but if his OL picks in the draft are any evidence, he subscribed to the bigger is always better mentality of OL. Glenn is 345, which most NFL tackles aren't even close to while guys like Asper, Colin Brown, Pears, and Sam Young and others are not what I would call nimble and mobile.

Besides, teams move college tackles to guard because they can't handle the speed of the NFL. Or they move them to guard as a last resort because a player they thought could play OT actually couldn't. It's looking like Glenn fits into the latter category despite what the team is saying now.

That is such horseshit

Before Glenn got that high ankle sprain he was demolishing some very talented players.....just because Glenn would be dominting guard doent mean that he cnnot be a very good tackle....MOST good OT's would make dominting guards

And yet he never did that during his time with the Bills

Time has yet to finish that story.

Certainly he drafted tackles and not guards.

In Nix's first draft he took two tackles (Ed Wang and Kyle Callaway) and zero guards.

In his second draft he took one tackle (Chris Hairston) and zero guards.

In his third draft Nix took two tackles (Cordy Glenn and Zebrie Sanders) and one guard (Mark Asper).

In his final draft Nix drafted no offensive linemen.

The final tally is 5 tackles and 1 guard drafted. Three of those tackles remain on the team.

While I think it's unlikely, one or all of those tackles may end being switched to guard.

So I would say Nix stayed true to his philosophy of not drafting guards and in fairness to Nix, he didn't make the lineups so he had no control of where these players ended up playing.

Please just play a freaking preseason game..... stop with this crap over and over again. Can the mods PLEASE delete this thread? Yeah OMG, WTH did you start a new (LAMP thread Butthead) ?

I see two possibilities:

1) There is worthwhile new content which should be discussed, but isn't.

2) Nothing much has happened these last few months; which means that anything we'd discuss now is likely to be something we've been discussing off and on for the last several months.

If 1) is the case, then you should be contributing something new to these boards. (As opposed to complaining about the lack of others' contributions.) If 2) is the case, then every time you come here, you should be mentally prepared to read threads about subjects which have been discussed before.

Just so that I can contribute something new here: earlier in this thread, someone called Nix a dinosaur. For the record, dinosaurs were warm-blooded, birdlike animals. They dominated the Earth for 120 million years--about twice as long as mammals. The first dinosaur and the first mammal appeared at about the same time. The idea that mammals are somehow more advanced than dinosaurs is false. "That's all well and good," you might say, "but I don't see how any of it is football-related."

Okay, maybe it's not directly football related. But if we accept the fact that Nix is a dinosaur, and that we've traditionally underestimated dinosaurs, and that birds are actually a type of dinosaur, and that the Bills really should re-sign Byrd, we can conclude . . . well, I'm sure there's got to be a football-related conclusion buried in there somewhere.

It's more than a little frustrating reading how the Bills are struggling all training camp with weak play at the left guard position. There have not, in recent years and beyond, been very many successful draft choices. Levitre was a great choice, and after finally hitting on a good draft pick he is gone after four years, just as he enters the prime of his career. I don't know how you build long term success when you let your few successful draft choices walk. I wonder if Byrd is next.

So now a weakness exists where there was a strength. And Bills sitting 20 million plus under the cap. This is not to argue that the Bills should have matched the mega contract Levitre got, but rather that they should have recognized a quality player and extended his contract early on, where the cost would have been manageable, something akin to what Pats did with Gronkowski.

All this

Leodis is definitely better than Levitre, which is why he was more of a priority :doh:

"A publicly available report provided by the NFL Players Association has the

Bills with $19,025,573 in cap room today

- the fifth-highest total in the league, trailing Cleveland, Jacksonville, Philadelphia and Cincinnati."

http://www.buffaloru...on-in-cap-space

I'm sure we couldn't have used any of this sign him.

Apparently, this regime will not pay big money for a guard. that's why they didn't try to extend him early and let him walk. if that's their philosophy, fine-- but they can't complain about the play of scrubs like brown and legursky.

It's a stupid philosophy, I don't care how the League has changed the Lines are still the foundations of the team upon which all the other units flourish.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Time has yet to finish that story.

Certainly he drafted tackles and not guards.

In Nix's first draft he took two tackles (Ed Wang and Kyle Callaway) and zero guards.

In his second draft he took one tackle (Chris Hairston) and zero guards.

In his third draft Nix took two tackles (Cordy Glenn and Zebrie Sanders) and one guard (Mark Asper).

In his final draft Nix drafted no offensive linemen.

The final tally is 5 tackles and 1 guard drafted. Three of those tackles remain on the team.

While I think it's unlikely, one or all of those tackles may end being switched to guard.

So I would say Nix stayed true to his philosophy of not drafting guards and in fairness to Nix, he didn't make the lineups so he had no control of where these players ended up playing.

This wonton display of factual information is down right disgusting.

If this continues, we'll have to report you to the mods.

[/torch-bearing mob with ants-in-their-pants and venom-in-their-hearts]

That is such horseshit

Before Glenn got that high ankle sprain he was demolishing some very talented players.....just because Glenn would be dominting guard doent mean that he cnnot be a very good tackle....MOST good OT's would make dominting guards

Good point, John. Glenn was downright dominant at times before his injury. And while he had struggles with speed rushers, he neutralized them with his freakishly long arms. He was just never the same with his feet after coming back from that high ankle sprain. We all know that can be a lingering injury, especially for big men.

GO BILLS!!!

I see two possibilities:

1) There is worthwhile new content which should be discussed, but isn't.

2) Nothing much has happened these last few months; which means that anything we'd discuss now is likely to be something we've been discussing off and on for the last several months.

If 1) is the case, then you should be contributing something new to these boards. (As opposed to complaining about the lack of others' contributions.) If 2) is the case, then every time you come here, you should be mentally prepared to read threads about subjects which have been discussed before.

Just so that I can contribute something new here: earlier in this thread, someone called Nix a dinosaur. For the record, dinosaurs were warm-blooded, birdlike animals. They dominated the Earth for 120 million years--about twice as long as mammals. The first dinosaur and the first mammal appeared at about the same time. The idea that mammals are somehow more advanced than dinosaurs is false."That's all well and good," you might say, "but I don't see how any of it is football-related."

Unless, intelligence is your yard stick. :doh: Even the largest had very little brains although some may have been as smart as say dogs, but no where near humans or even dolphins (no. not those dolphins).

Okay, maybe it's not directly football related. But if we accept the fact that Nix is a dinosaur, ( he is old ut I think he'd need to be Ralph's age for that)and that we've traditionally underestimated dinosaurs, and that birds are actually a type of dinosaur, and that the Bills really should re-sign Byrd, we can conclude . . . well, I'm sure there's got to be a football-related conclusion buried in there somewhere.

Wow put the weed down and back away from the bong.

And sorry but I haven't any creative ideas for a new thread and this guy just likes to post b.s. ones (so far, he is kind of new), so I will B word if I want to.

I can't wait for the game to start, so there is something new to add. And lastly I don't see why they didn't merge this or just shut it down. Bla, I hate that I just replied again too. See what you did! :death:

Edited by bowery4

They didn't plan for the hole at LG and have no real plan for dealing with it now, other than sticking their heads in the sand and hoping nothing bad happens to their prized rookie QB.

But at least they have a $22M cushion in their pocket, which apparently makes PTR feel better for some reason.

Who cares if the Bills win games or fill out a roster with 22 NFL-caliber starters? At least their bottom line looks good, right buddy?

The Bills need to keep some dry powder to resign Spiller. to bad the NFL doesn't have something like the NBA where the incumbent team has a built in advantage in resigning folks. Not a huge number, but still an advantage. Also, the NBA has a salary cap structure, no individual max in the NFL I think. That leads to delusions on players part.

Edited by bigK14094

This wonton display of factual information is down right disgusting.

If this continues, we'll have to report you to the mods.

[/torch-bearing mob with ants-in-their-pants and venom-in-their-hearts]

Max said Nix hasn't drafted tackles to make them guards. He's right and SJBF's fact support, not disprove, this.

With Glenn, he basically drafted a guard and moved him to tackle.

The only people saying Glenn was a guard were the draft gurus because they're stuck on measurables. He handled himself well last year and I expect him to get better this year.

Glenn's struggles last year came from the high ankle sprain. Fans at some point need to understand that players return from injury when they can handle the pain from said injury, not when they are 100% healed. Glenn was at no point after the injury healthy last year. The same can be said for all starters returning from injury during the season. Fans would probably be shocked at how many needles he had to get stuck with just to get in the games. Glenn is a warrior and I think he will really shine this year. As for the LG spot, we haven't even seen what the current events actually are. The preseason will give us a glimpse, while the Pats game will truly frame the situation. I can't wait!

Max said Nix hasn't drafted tackles to make them guards. He's right and SJBF's fact support, not disprove, this.

Your last sentence is a bit incomprehensible. Can you try again?

Regarding Glenn and his "struggles" at training camp. Is it possible that Hughes is having a great camp? He was a first round pick for a reason, after all.

GO BILLS!!!

I'm one of Cordy's biggest fans. That said it's possible that he's struggling.

And yes, it's also possible that Hughes is having a great camp.

In about two hours we'll start getting meaningful data to address these and other concerns.