Bills trade Kelvin Shephard

mrags

Lol, just remember, this IS the guy who even made "Mayhem" Maybin into a pretty effective player for a time when he was with the Jets...

what was especially effective about him? im pretty sure I couldve gotten half the sacks with the amount of time that elapsed on the plays. 2-3 of them he was run so far out of the play that the tackle forgot about him.

So, lemme get this straight: Sheppard has more tackles in one season than Hughes has in his entire three-year career and 99% of the folks on this board think it was a good trade? Did someone spike the Kool Aid or something?

playing completely different positions, on different teams, with different roles, and using a stat like volume of tackles.... id say thats not a great baseline.

we traded a guy that wasnt getting the job done because hes likely at his physical ceiling at a non-premium position, for a guy that isnt getting the job done and has unrealized potential at a more premium position. like i said upthread, odds are neither impacts their new team but id take the guy with upside instead of the once thats maxed out if neither are currently getting it done.

Edited by NoSaint

So, lemme get this straight: Sheppard has more tackles in one season than Hughes has in his entire three-year career and 99% of the folks on this board think it was a good trade? Did someone spike the Kool Aid or something?

Don't let the stats fool you. There are very few impact plays among Sheppard's stats. It's a one disappointing player traded for another with the hope that a fresh start helps both of them.

Kool-Aid comment again? It's getting old and stats don't always tell you about a player.

Shepherd was a bust and waste of a pick from the start. A clear example of abuses of the former regimes heavy SEC bias and especially a player who was touched by "chans little hands of god " coached at the senior ball. He played too high and got no leverage. He always a step slow to the action, and he wasn't physical. He had no presence in the middle. Its a great sign the new regime isn't wasting any time keeping him around. This is the value of having former coach of a division opponent on your staff. Pettine must have given them the lowdown how they game planned against him. Only question is what were colts thinking? If they think this shores up their defense up the middle the are wrong.

This is a great move for the Bills.

Applaud this all the way!

It never hurts to get more Edge Rushers. Hughes is a hybrid player OLB/DE basically I guy that you can unleash to get to the QB. With Mario, Hughes, Kyle, & Dareus we know have 4/7 front 7 players that can play in, and have experience in both a 3-4 and 4-3. Throw in Kiko Alonso and you have 5/7 Hybrid players that can shift into unwelcome formations for opposing offenses. All really nice chess pieces.

On paper a great trade for the Bills. If Pettine can unlock his potential.

Shepp was never gonna contribute on this defense. He is slooooow and gets eaten up by blockers. Great character guy, I'm sure but not an NFL athlete.

So Does Why So Serios?

I am gelling this together in my head. Looking at the last 7 days, I have to think conversation opened up about this some time before Thursday. I would bet the line was open and both front offices knew who was on the block and had some ideas on swapping them. The draft happened, both teams probably knew they had a fall back option to get the type of player they wanted.

It will be more interesting Dansby signs.

Shepherd was a bust and waste of a pick from the start. A clear example of abuses of the former regimes heavy SEC bias and especially a player who was touched by "chans little hands of god " coached at the senior ball. He played too high and got no leverage. He always a step slow to the action, and he wasn't physical. He had no presence in the middle. Its a great sign the new regime isn't wasting any time keeping him around. This is the value of having former coach of a division opponent on your staff. Pettine must have given them the lowdown how they game planned against him. Only question is what were colts thinking? If they think this shores up their defense up the middle the are wrong.

Gotta agree. That the new folks realized it and unloaded him is a great sign that they recognize talent. Shep was one of Wanny's darlings and nuff said about that. Hughes may be no better but let's see if our new D guys and coach him up.

Gotta agree. That the new folks realized it and unloaded him is a great sign that they recognize talent. Shep was one of Wanny's darlings and nuff said about that. Hughes may be no better but let's see if our new D guys and coach him up.

Nix just said on the radio that they wanted their inside guys to play both inside positions and that Sheppard was a liability in coverage. It makes sense that it is immediately post draft, as the Bills didn't fill a need at OLB edge rusher, which the Colts did, and the Colts didn't draft a run stopper, which is what Sheppard is supposed to be.

Miss what? He was absolutely horrible on the Bills for two seasons. The guy has no instincts or athletic ability. Don't know how he ever started at LSU. He made Poz look like the second coming of Dick Butkus. I would have traded him for a bag of footballs. Getting a guy w at least decent potential in Jerry Hughes is a coup on Buddy's part.

Just because someone doesn't work out doesn't mean I'm gonna piss on them when they leave. What I'll miss is his fire for the game and this team, and the fact that he was self-motivated to give his best effort. He's got heart, and that's a lot more than can be said of some players.

Meh. I thought Sheppard is/was probably better than what he showed last year in Wanny's bland stuff. Been saying the same about nearly all our defensive players. I was prepared for him to be one of our ILBs this year and didn't think it was going to be the end of the world because I thought Pettine could get more out of him. Still, pretty happy with the trade. Pettine can probably get more out of this Hughes guy as well.

Just because someone doesn't work out doesn't mean I'm gonna piss on them when they leave. What I'll miss is his fire for the game and this team, and the fact that he was self-motivated to give his best effort. He's got heart, and that's a lot more than can be said of some players.

just because u criticize someones play doesnt mean u r pissing on them. he was a 'decent' run stuffer and completely lost after that. he just wasnt very good. good luck to him in indy.

Agree with everything you said about Shep. He did absolutely nothing.

just because u criticize someones play doesnt mean u r pissing on them. he was a 'decent' run stuffer and completely lost after that. he just wasnt very good. good luck to him in indy.

He may have been slightly above average at best, only in that when the play is directly infront of him he excelled. However, fighting through the traffic, and having to deal with OL every play the guy got manhandled. Which, is not his fault. Not even Ray Lewis can shed OL every play.

They play completely different roles on defense. I'm not a huge fan of the trade- and tackles are a meaningless statistic, unless you account for where those tackles are made- but I hope you recognize that Hughes is a pass rusher and Sheppard is a 4-3 MLB.

Edited by ny33

Keith Ellison .... wow, haven't heard that name in a while, got shivers when I read it.

Eddie Robinson perhaps? The lowest point of many lows!

Brett Favre was a bust in Atlanta

Steve Young was trash in Tampa

You never know where a player is going to break out and become amazing with a different team/scheme.

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

playing completely different positions, on different teams, with different roles, and using a stat like volume of tackles.... id say thats not a great baseline.

we traded a guy that wasnt getting the job done because hes likely at his physical ceiling at a non-premium position, for a guy that isnt getting the job done and has unrealized potential at a more premium position. like i said upthread, odds are neither impacts their new team but id take the guy with upside instead of the once thats maxed out if neither are currently getting it done.

+1

Shep was accomplishing nothing. This trade may not help us, but it can't hurt much. It was worth the roll of the die.

With both Kelsey and Shep gone, who will be the new favorite whipping boys of TSW? I like what this coaching staff are doing with purging players that do not fit either scheme or culture or both. Very encouraging.

I'm losing track of whose going to play where on this defense, and maybe that's the point. At this point, in my head, I have:

SOLB- Lawson, Moats

LDE- M Williams

NT- K Williams, Branch, Troup

RDE/DT- Dareus, Carrington

WOLB/DE- Anderson, Hughes

MILB/SILB- ???

WILB- Alonso, Bradham, Scott

So, it looks to me like they have three WILBs and no MILB. Who's going to play on the strong side??? Can't wait to find out how this is going to work.

Edited by vincec

just because u criticize someones play doesnt mean u r pissing on them.

Never said it did. Someone asked how it was I could say I'd miss a player when he wasn't able to get it done on the field. I happen to like Shep's approach to the game...regardless of the degree of success he had.

I'm losing track of whose going to play where on this defense, and maybe that's the point. At this point, in my head, I have:

SOLB- Lawson, Moats

LDE- M Williams

NT- K Williams, Branch, Troup

RDE/DT- Dareus, Carrington

WOLB/DE- Anderson, Hughes

MILB/SILB- ???

WILB- Alonso, Bradham, Scott

So, it looks to me like they have three WILBs and no MILB. Who's going to play on the strong side??? Can't wait to find out how this is going to work.

Mmmkay, let's break the sumbitch down...

First, from OTA's we saw Mario at OLB. Not saying he'll be there all the time, but looking at Pettine's time with the Ravens they would use someone as a pure rusher, only not keeping his hand on the ground and there is no one we have more dominant at the role than MW. He is likely backed up by Anderson and Hughes.

Two, Alonso seems likely to start at Mike unless they pick up Dansby

Three, DL is likely to be K Williams, Dareus, Branch, in some order. Backed up by Troup and Carrington.

Fourth, Sam LB is Lawson, but Buddy has said he thinks that Hughes could back him up there as well as his role as the Hybrid DE/OLB

Give it up - 34 of the top 100 this year were SEC, with even more from the ACC, big 12.... Nix drafting southern guys was nothing unique. I'd peg over 50% of the first 3 rounds as southern kids every year.

No, no, only 1 HC, same GM, and 3 defensive schemes ago

Missed it by a year! Oops.

Haven't we been down this path before???...entering into a trade with Colts for a linebacker they drafted in the first round?

What was the last guys name again??? Oh Yeah, Cornelius Bennett!!! Here's to hoping this works out just like that one!

Eddie Robinson perhaps? The lowest point of many lows!

Brett Favre was a bust in Atlanta

Steve Young was trash in Tampa

You never know where a player is going to break out and become amazing with a different team/scheme.

To be fair, favre took 5 snaps in one year in Atlanta as a second round pick who's head coach vowed not to use him because he didnt like the pick. That bust was traded for a pick a half round better than he was drafted at less than a year later. Bust?

Not really the same as a 3 year player that's had chances.

Edited by NoSaint

With both Kelsey and Shep gone, who will be the new favorite whipping boys of TSW? I like what this coaching staff are doing with purging players that do not fit either scheme or culture or both. Very encouraging.

Either that or they read the postings here and have followed suit. The tell tale sign will be if they try to get joqueie bell what's his name back....

Give it up - 34 of the top 100 this year were SEC, with even more from the ACC, big 12.... Nix drafting southern guys was nothing unique. I'd peg over 50% of the first 3 rounds as southern kids every year.

Why dont you bother to "look it up" before tossing out uninformed crap like "give it up".

for 2011 and 2012, of the top 5 picks each year, only one wasnt from a southern school. Thats 90%, well above the overall average. This year only one (Manuel) was from a southern school. nope. no pattern there from Nix-gailey era.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

4. The first person that mentions Moats at MLB should be shot...

Guess it's the end of Buddy Nix...

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/04/29/pettines-defense-puts-premium-on-versatility/

“We got Moats there in the middle-he can play two spots. We got Kiko Alonso in there–he can play two spots. Nigel Bradham can play Will or Mike. That is what we’re coming to.”

Guess it's the end of Buddy Nix...

http://blogs.buffalo...on-versatility/

"We got Moats there in the middle-he can play two spots. We got Kiko Alonso in there–he can play two spots. Nigel Bradham can play Will or Mike. That is what we're coming to."

I'm about 99.9% positive that the plan right now would see Alonso and Bradham starting inside...Things could certainly change...But I think that's the plan going forward... B-)