How Bad Would It Be For The Bills To Sign Matt Moore,

trade down in the draft, and get extra draft picks?

I am guessing that Moore could be had for approx. 3 years/18 million. In this scenario, they could acquire more picks, fill holes, and go after a qb next year.

I suppose the question is whether or not Bills management thinks that he is better than Fitz. I lean towards thinking that he is.

Opinions?

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My belief is that there is not a high-probability-of-success QB in this draft, so I could be aligned with this sort of plan.

I *might* consider Matt Barkley at #8 in round one, but I see that as a gamble. I am not at all sold on Geno Smith. I suspect that one of the following will be available when the Bills pick in round 2: Ryan Nassib, EJ Manuel, Tyler Wilson. IMHO, each is worthy of consideration there. I am not sure if I'd prefer Matt Moore to one of those, but I suppose that they could sign Moore and still pick one of those 3.

Regarding a trade down, it usually is worth considering. However, if they have convinced themselves that they don't need to "reach" for a QB in round 1, they should be able to get a very good player at another position with the 8th pick.

I am guessing that Moore could be had for approx. 3 years/18 million. In this scenario, they could acquire more picks, fill holes, and go after a qb next year.

I suppose the question is whether or not Bills management thinks that he is better than Fitz. I lean towards thinking that he is.

Opinions?

worth a look for sure. I like the guy and have hoped for a shot at him. all things considered of course

My belief is that there is not a high-probability-of-success QB in this draft, so I could be aligned with this sort of plan.

I *might* consider Matt Barkley at #8 in round one, but I see that as a gamble. I am not at all sold on Geno Smith. I suspect that one of the following will be available when the Bills pick in round 2: Ryan Nassib, EJ Manuel, Tyler Wilson. IMHO, each is worthy of consideration there. I am not sure if I'd prefer Matt Moore to one of those, but I suppose that they could sign Moore and still pick one of those 3.

Regarding a trade down, it usually is worth considering. However, if they have convinced themselves that they don't need to "reach" for a QB in round 1, they should be able to get a very good player at another position with the 8th pick.

I like Tyler Bray more than the kids that you mentioned. And he probably won't be ready to step in as a rookie.

Either way, I am just floating ideas around.

Opinions?

He is... B-)

Opinions?

Pick the QB:

Completion YPA TD% INT% FUM% QBR

59% 6.95 4.4% 3.4% 2% 80.5

60% 6.37 4.1% 3.6% 1% 76.8

One of these is Fitz. One of these is Moore. Is one is a significant upgrade over the other, worth investing another $18 million?

For Moore's 2011 season starting 12 games for the Dolphins, his completion percentage ranged from 47% to 74%. YPG from 95 to 281. YPA from 4.2 to 10.8.

More consistent than Fitz?

All things aside - I'd take Moore over fitz

Also a quarter of the price, or less

Just a note that the OP suggested 3 years/$18 million as Moore's price.

PS I'd be kind of surprised if a team offers Moore that much money, myself.

Edited by Hopeful

I was thinking the exact same thing. No way Moore, a journeyman backup QB, gets 6 million/year. I'd put him more in the 3 to 3.5 million/year with performance incentives.

Pick the QB:

Completion YPA TD% INT% FUM% QBR 59% 6.95 4.4% 3.4% 2.0% 80.5 60% 6.37 4.1% 3.6% 1.0% 76.8

One of these is Fitz. One of these is Moore. Is one is a significant upgrade over the other, worth investing another $18 million?

For Moore's 2011 season starting 12 games for the Dolphins, his completion percentage ranged from 47% to 74%. YPG from 95 to 281. YPA from 4.2 to 10.8.

More consistent than Fitz?

He's coming off a 2 year 5m deal right now - likely staying in that range. Of the realistic possibilities, I like Moore, Jackson and rookie as my qb depth chart. Even with a top 10 contract that's less than fitzs salary with all 3 combined and reliable, though not spectacular if the rookie is too wide eyed or in case of injury.

I also think he's shown to be charismatic, and able to work with a rookie. Fitz is a question mark there, especially if he loses his job.

Edited by NoSaint

U

Opinions?

Bill, I look at the status of the Bills and say to myself what the hell did Buddy do to this francise! The Bills have just as many needs, if not more, than when he took over the operation. There is almost unanimity in the acknowledgment that Nix not drafting a qb prospect has set this franchise back by years. However, what has really sunk this franchise back more than anything else is his overall pathetic drafting record. How many lower round picks have come through? The most ripe time for lumbering Nix to have traded down in the draft was in his first draft, the Spiller draft. Just think how much the dynamic of the team would have changed for the good if Kaepernick or Russell Wilson were taking snaps for us? Instead we have Aaron Williams and T.J. Graham on the roster, both are invisible players for us.

Excuse me for avoiding your question to let off some steam. If I had my druthers I would take Matt Moore over Fitz and Jackson. Moore is a productive player who is in the category of capable of being effective. Nothing special but at best capable. He did play well for Carolina and Miami. Your suggestion that the Bills should trade down to acquire more picks and address some of their other needs makes a lot of sense. But that's not the Buddy way. He prefers being simple than being creative. His comfort zone is limited to his very tight box.

If Geno Smith is on the board when we pick I prefer taking him. If not, I'm not against selecting a qb prospect in the second round, maybe Glennon or Tyler Wilson. I do like Barkley but I'm concerned about his arm strength.

The below attached link is a WGR interview with Joe B who covers the Bills and who I have a high regard for his fair player evaluations. He believes that Levitre is probably not going to be resigned.

http://audio.wgr550.com/a/71765836/3-5-joe-buscaglia-talks-bills-off-season-needs.htm

Im all for the Bills bringing in Matt Moore, as long as it's under the following situation:

Fitz has been cut. We draft a QB at 8.

Moore was the only likeable part of Hard Knocks last year. Seems like a good guy in the locker room. He's beaten us a number of times, so we've seen him get it done. He'd be a good backup to the rookie, like he was for Tannehil.

For what? Why bring in a guy who isn't good enough to start in the league to compete with two other guys who aren't good enough?

So you're saying anyone who isn't a starter in the NFL today can't play at a high level in the future? You mean guys like Aaron Rodgers, Steve Young, Brett Favre, and Tom Brady. Drew Brees was a backup to Doug Flutie for most of his rookie year, so does that mean he wasn't good enough to start in this league too?

Next Tuesday will answer alot of questions. Moore is not an answer. he has some talent and could be a place holder QB while the rookie QB is groomed to start. That is what Fitz and Jackson are.

He had 14 TDs to 13 INTs. He wasn't exactly lighting it up

That is true and that is consistent for his career. Career, he has roughly equal TDs and INTs.

Keep in mind that Seattle is a rushing team, and will rush for TDs where other teams may pass - for example, in 2011 Sea had 15 TDs rushing where Mia (under Moore) had 11 rushing TDs (Moore passed for 16 TDs - is that lighting it up?)

If all three QB were lined up by the side of the road, and I had to pick one, I might pick Moore. But given a choice between TJax already on the roster and spending more salary cap on Moore, I don't see the Moore-ish attraction. What I mean can be seen more by game logs. Jackson is up and down, but more consistent for yards, completion % etc. Moore is a very hot-n-cold guy, 70% completion one week, 95 yds and <50% the next. Again, not saying Moore is a bad QB but I don't see the attraction to shell out more salary cap $$.

So you're saying anyone who isn't a starter in the NFL today can't play at a high level in the future? You mean guys like Aaron Rodgers, Steve Young, Brett Favre, and Tom Brady. Drew Brees was a backup to Doug Flutie for most of his rookie year, so does that mean he wasn't good enough to start in this league too?

I recognize this logic because I argued it myself with regard to Fitz two years ago. Sure, guys can grow and develop. But many of these guys you name sat on the bench for years. Good, bad, indifferent, no one knew. I think Rodgers threw <40 passes in GB for 3 seasons until he took over as starter in 2008. Favre had like 5 attempts in Atl and no games until he went to GB and started. Brady threw a similar number for NE before taking over for an injured Bledsoe.

The difference with guys like Moore, Tjax, and Fitz is that they have a significant body of work in the league. Moore has started 25 games for 2 teams and thrown 750 passes, TJax 34.

Steve Young is the poster child for a QB who played significant time (~29 games), was widely seen as a bust or a mediocre backup, and went on to greatness.

But the more mediocre work a guy puts up in the league, the more likely it becomes that he's not the next Steve Young, he's just a guy.

If we don't like the QBs in this draft and want to cut fritz and hold off on a QB til rd 4-7, I'd be ok with signing Moore.....but 3 years 18mill, you're crazy. Maybe a 1-2 year contract worth 1.5-3 mill per year. 6 mill a year for Moore? I don't anyone will pay him that kind of money (except maybe us, ugh). I'd rather have him than fitz that's for sure.

Why do people say "go after a QB next year"? It's the most aggravating comment to read. As if it's just some automatic thing. What if you're pick 11 next year? They say it as if there's no other factors, just choose to get one next year, that's it.

Why do people say "go after a QB next year"? It's the most aggravating comment to read. As if it's just some automatic thing. What if you're pick 11 next year? They say it as if there's no other factors, just choose to get one next year, that's it.

I dont get it either. It's the exact kind of thinking that has kept the Bills bad for entire generations. Funny thing is, I've read it here every year over the last 4 offseasons. Next year's class is always better, until next year.

Edited by DrDareustein

Is Moore any better than Fitz? I don't think so.

As I've posted before FWIW, Matt Moore's record as an NFL starter is 13-12.

Those teams that Moore started for were a combined 10-29 in the games he didn't start (5-8, 4-7, 1-10, 0-4).

http://www.pro-footb.../M/MoorMa01.htm

I believe Moore is probably a better player than Fitz but I think it's a moot point.

The Bills are gonna draft their "quarterback of the future" in this year's draft.

To me the identity of the veteran starter/eventual veteran backup is immaterial.

Fitz, TJax, Moore, it doesn't really matter. And when you look at it this way, you realize that the most important thing for the Bills is to do what is best for the salary cap for both this year and next year.

Opinions?

Hmmmmm. Overpaying a QB no better than Fitz while still being on the hook for Fitz's deal? Where do I sign up?

PTR

Look, the odds of us getting a QB at 8 are good.

Sadly, the goods available at 8 are ODD.

Why take a chance on a scrub when you can use those high picks to build a KILLER d-backfield, and secondary?

One that will be in place, and ready to help out a young Mariota or Manziell... This draft presents a RARE opportunity to upgrade key defensive positions. Not the least of them being LB, and SS.

Big deal, we pick at #12 in 2014... Fire sale the draft to grab that stud QB to match our brazen, punishing, passrush. After that you can buy your tix to the AFC Champioship and relax.

Edited by #34fan

I was thinking the exact same thing. No way Moore, a journeyman backup QB, gets 6 million/year. I'd put him more in the 3 to 3.5 million/year with performance incentives.

One journeyman QB is already making this with the Buffalo Bills and another one made 3M last year for not even dressing up for the games !!!!