How Bad Would It Be For The Bills To Sign Matt Moore,

True. More than this actually when signing bonus factored in. So what's your point?

Simply pointing that i wouldn't be surprised if the Bills do sign Matt Moore, My point is that neither Moore nor Fitz can take this team to the playoffs. They need a real QB.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why oh why do we set the bar so damn low? Matt Moore? Yeesh.

Suppose we did sign him for about $4 million. That makes close to $20 million dedicated to the QB position BEFORE we draft another with no playoff QB's, let alone SB MVP's, on our roster.

Moronic move.

Edited by Marauder24

Colt McCoy would've been my preference, over T-Jax. Smart, high completion percentage, can run the kind of offense that Marrone wants to install, and has very similar measurables to Drew Brees - obviously, his big weakness is his arm strength. But he seems coachable to me. I don't think McCoy's career is over, by any stretch.

trade down in the draft, and get extra draft picks?

I am guessing that Moore could be had for approx. 3 years/18 million. In this scenario, they could acquire more picks, fill holes, and go after a qb next year.

I suppose the question is whether or not Bills management thinks that he is better than Fitz. I lean towards thinking that he is.

Opinions?

Given his limited experience and performance, the more appropriate question is whether he is better than Thigpen.

Moore has played behind Testaverde, David Carr, Delhomme, Clausen, Josh McKown and Chad Henne.

He missed all of 2008 and half of 2010.

My belief is that there is not a high-probability-of-success QB in this draft, so I could be aligned with this sort of plan.

I *might* consider Matt Barkley at #8 in round one, but I see that as a gamble. I am not at all sold on Geno Smith. I suspect that one of the following will be available when the Bills pick in round 2: Ryan Nassib, EJ Manuel, Tyler Wilson. IMHO, each is worthy of consideration there. I am not sure if I'd prefer Matt Moore to one of those, but I suppose that they could sign Moore and still pick one of those 3.

Regarding a trade down, it usually is worth considering. However, if they have convinced themselves that they don't need to "reach" for a QB in round 1, they should be able to get a very good player at another position with the 8th pick.

With the new rookie wage scale, there isn't much of a "gamble" any more. Someone suggested paying Matt Moore 18 million for 3 years. The Fins replaced Moore with Tannehill (with the #8 pick) for 4 years at $12.7 million. I'm convinced right now that Barkley and Smith are better than more and will be better in the NFL. So I don't see this "risk" or how Moore decreases risk.

People here are actually proposing we pass on a Barkley or Smith to pick a zero impact O-lineman at #8. Makes no sense. Even if he turns out to be "the best guard in the history of the NFL", who cares? If Smith or Barkley bust out...big deal. Just draft another QB next year anyway. They are incredibly cheap now.

With the new rookie wage scale, there isn't much of a "gamble" any more. Someone suggested paying Matt Moore 18 million for 3 years. The Fins replaced Moore with Tannehill (with the #8 pick) for 4 years at $12.7 million. I'm convinced right now that Barkley and Smith are better than more and will be better in the NFL. So I don't see this "risk" or how Moore decreases risk.

People here are actually proposing we pass on a Barkley or Smith to pick a zero impact O-lineman at #8. Makes no sense. Even if he turns out to be "the best guard in the history of the NFL", who cares? If Smith or Barkley bust out...big deal. Just draft another QB next year anyway. They are incredibly cheap now.

You make a terrific point. If you are going to make a mistake in the draft then do it trying to have a major impact for your team. Hitting it right with a qb selection, albeit at a risk, can dramatically change the dynamic of the team for the better. The Bills have made draft mistakes at every position. So why be so reluctant to even swing the bat and give yourself a chance to come up with a legitimate franchise qb?.

Edited by JohnC

You make a terrific point. If you are going to make a mistake in the draft then do it trying to have a major impact for your team. Hitting it right with a qb selection, albeit at a risk, can dramatically change the dynamic of the team for the better. The Bills have made draft mistakes at every position. So why be so reluctant to even swing the bat and give yourself a chance to come up with a legitimate franchise qb?.

This is what Ive been saying all offseason. With the new rookie wage scale, and the fact that the NFL is pushing to a QB-centric league, smart teams will pick a QB early (Rounds 1-3) every couple of years.

Take a swing at a QB early, but dont be afraid to draft another within a couple years in case he doesnt pan out. Worst case scenario is you have extra players at the most coveted position in the league.

There's no question that Bills should draft a QB early this year. But, from what I've seen, it's highly debatable that any of the 2013 rookies can step right in and play. So the realistic scenario is that the controls will be in the hands of Fitz, Jackson or a Moore for this year. I would entertain signing Moore as Fitz's replacement if he's cut. I would not be cavalier in throwing out a raw rookie out there with a questionable supporting cast on offense this year, with everyone learning a brand new system.

Nobody thought Tom Brady would be a franchise QB when he was drafted. The only way you can get a franchise guy is if you draft him. You're not going to find a franchise guy who is a FA retread. Matt Moore is not even a temporary one.

The Bills need to bite the bullet, do their homework and draft a guy that fits their system, somewhere in the first 3 rounds. Holding out and biding time for the next great QB is probably what got us to this point anyways.

There's no question that Bills should draft a QB early this year. But, from what I've seen, it's highly debatable that any of the 2013 rookies can step right in and play. So the realistic scenario is that the controls will be in the hands of Fitz, Jackson or a Moore for this year. I would entertain signing Moore as Fitz's replacement if he's cut. I would not be cavalier in throwing out a raw rookie out there with a questionable supporting cast on offense this year, with everyone learning a brand new system.

There are few rookie qbs who can play immediately and not be overwhelmed. Of course there are exceptions to the rule as demonstrated by Luck, RGIII and Russell Wilson. With Wilson he struggled for the first half of the season and then in the second half he found his mojo. Kaepernick played a little in his rookie year and took off when he got extended playing time this year. Whether a young qb prospect plays immediately or not if he is on the roster he will at least be developing as a player.

I believe that Barkley probably will be better sooner than most of the other qbs in this draft. That doesn't mean that a prospect such as Geno Smith or Glennon might not in the long run turn out to be better qbs. What is most important is getting that prospect in the pipeline and getting him prepared to be the long term qb for this franchise. Developing a franchise qb isn't always a quick process (sometimes it is) but if you don't start the process you will never get anywhere. The Bills are a testament to that.

At this point a bit of wasted money. We would be dedicating a ton of money to 3 back up qbs. Then lets say we draft one in the first. 4 Qb's all making 2.5 mil per year or more. Doesn't make sense to

At this point a bit of wasted money. We would be dedicating a ton of money to 3 back up qbs. Then lets say we draft one in the first. 4 Qb's all making 2.5 mil per year or more. Doesn't make sense to

i believe most in the discussion are considering this to replace fitz. it would cost a little extra cap this year but over a 2 year period we would still come out ahead in cap hits as well as save cash. all while possibly upgrading the talent in the qb room, if you ask me.

not a MUST DO IT NOW OR ELSE WE WILL FAIL kind of move, but i think it would be an, albeit pretty small, step forward.

If I had no QBs on the roster and the only two available were Matt Moore and Ryan Fitzpatrick, I might go Moore. I like him OK as a journeyman/backup type.

But at this point, I don't think Moore's got anything that could make up for Fitz's basic familiarity with Stevie, the RBs, and the line. Which isn't a high bar to a real replacement, but it's enough for me not to worry about the 1-2% of extra talent Moore might have.

Colt McCoy would've been my preference, over T-Jax. Smart, high completion percentage, can run the kind of offense that Marrone wants to install, and has very similar measurables to Drew Brees - obviously, his big weakness is his arm strength. But he seems coachable to me. I don't think McCoy's career is over, by any stretch.

How do you coach "Arm Strength"

Nobody thought Tom Brady would be a franchise QB when he was drafted. The only way you can get a franchise guy is if you draft him. You're not going to find a franchise guy who is a FA retread. Matt Moore is not even a temporary one.

The Bills need to bite the bullet, do their homework and draft a guy that fits their system, somewhere in the first 3 rounds. Holding out and biding time for the next great QB is probably what got us to this point anyways.

+1. You draft one, and he fails, then you draft another one. If he fails too, you draft another one, until you hit it.

+1. If you want him, take him at 8.

I'm with you. If you have a conviction on him or any other qb then go ahead and take.him. Why risk losing him to other teams? If you don't like him then pass on him. Nix hesitated on a number of good prospects who turned out to be impactful players. When sitting on your hands get you nowhere then get off your duff and free your hands to make a belated move.

If I had no QBs on the roster and the only two available were Matt Moore and Ryan Fitzpatrick, I might go Moore. I like him OK as a journeyman/backup type.

But at this point, I don't think Moore's got anything that could make up for Fitz's basic familiarity with Stevie, the RBs, and the line. Which isn't a high bar to a real replacement, but it's enough for me not to worry about the 1-2% of extra talent Moore might have.

Exactly. As I stated upthread, our veteran placeholder QB is immaterial. He's eventually gonna be the backup and mentor for the QB we draft this year.

It really doesn't matter much who the veteran ends up being.

Thus, base your veteran QB decision mostly on cap impact both this year and for the future.

+1. If you want him, take him at 8.

What if you don't like him at #8 but like him at #41?

That's a huge difference in risk/reward and cost/benefit.

Of course if they're totally sold on him, by all means take him at #8.

There is no magic here... the Bills have to stink next year to get the 1st overall pick. :bag: Meaning, we have to stink to get our once in a lifetime QB.

Even average Bill's players are retiring... they see the writing on the wall. Why beat up your body for a team that is going to be so bad it will be painful to watch?

Most fans will buy into a bad season if we are playing all young guys. Don't fake it... just be bad and develop the young guys.

There is no magic here... the Bills have to stink next year to get the 1st overall pick. :bag: Meaning, we have to stink to get our once in a lifetime QB.

Really?.... -Im not so sure.

In 2014, you’re getting Murray AND McCarron both seasoned to PERFECTON. Then there’s guys like Tyler Russell, Connor shaw, Teddy Bridgewater, Keith price, Stephen Morris, Bo wallace, Logan Thomas and (my sleeper) Gary Nova. Even at a glance, it’s a FAR SUPERIOR crop of kids. Don’t do it, Buddy. Hand Pettine the keys to the draft and STEP AWAY.

Edited by #34fan

In 2014, you’re getting Murray AND McCarron both seasoned to PERFECTON. Then there’s guys like Tyler Russell, Connor shaw, Teddy Bridgewater, Keith price, Stephen Morris, Bo wallace, Logan Thomas and (my sleeper) Gary Nova. Even at a glance, it’s a FAR SUPERIOR crop of kids. Don’t do it, Buddy. Hand Pettine the keys to the draft and STEP AWAY.

Also Taj Boyd.

Whoever the Bills draft at QB this year (and they will), they'll have a full year to evaluate the guy.

If they don't like him or his progress, they can draft a QB next year.

Agree that there's no reason to suck this year for a QB next year.

You're probably right, but think back to last year. Barkley was only supposed to get better. Ditto for Tyler Wilson. Weren't they supposed to be leading this year's crop as sure-fire franchise QBs?

Also Taj Boyd.

Whoever the Bills draft at QB this year (and they will), they'll have a full year to evaluate the guy.

If they don't like him or his progress, they can draft a QB next year.

Agree that there's no reason to suck this year for a QB next year.

Agreed. At this point Russ/Nix/Whaley must realize they've got to get that QB and it has to be the top priority.

No need for Moore. Taravaris can be the stopgap if necessary. I like Fitz but its time to pass the torch. It's a new era in Buffalo.

Also Taj Boyd.

:thumbsup: Yah, wow, how could I forget about that guy?!

Anyway, to me, the "just keep drafting" angle seems weird, wasteful, and wishy-washy... I support a more modular approach to team-building where you draft what's readily available on one side of the ball, and supplement via FA's, and UDFA's until you can do the same on the other.

I'd trust Hackett alot more after a year of seeing him work with a journeyman QB. Handing him a first rounder at this juncture is just too risky IMO... Especially given the QB talent on display.

By contrast, I'm FAR more comfortable allowing Pettine to shore-up the LB and Safety corp with early picks. Seriously, what if Ansah is there at 8??? -Are we actually gonna pass on that? Sheesh, I hope not.

:thumbsup: Yah, wow, how could I forget about that guy?!

Anyway, to me, the "just keep drafting" angle seems weird, wasteful, and wishy-washy... I support a more modular approach to team-building where you draft what's readily available on one side of the ball, and supplement via FA's, and UDFA's until you can do the same on the other.

I'd trust Hackett alot more after a year of seeing him work with a journeyman QB. Handing him a first rounder at this juncture is just too risky IMO... Especially given the QB talent on display.

By contrast, I'm FAR more comfortable allowing Pettine to shore-up the LB and Safety corp with early picks. Seriously, what if Ansah is there at 8??? -Are we actually gonna pass on that? Sheesh, I hope not.

I disagree with you on the approach to QB acquisition.

Nix has drafted the likes of Torrell Troup and Aaron Williams in the second round so I'd be perfectly fine with the Bills drafting a second round QB to work with Marrone/Hackett.

Like others have said, the risk/reward at #41 is good for a QB, especially a QB with a high upside. If you don't like which way it's going after a year of evaluation, draft another QB next year.

You're probably right, but think back to last year. Barkley was only supposed to get better. Ditto for Tyler Wilson. Weren't they supposed to be leading this year's crop as sure-fire franchise QBs?

Not according to me... For the record, I never cared for Barkley, and frankly still don't.

Tyler Wilson, on the other hand, is a kid who I feel got the rug snatched out from under him when Petrino crashed and burned.

He may not end up being a superstar, but he looks promising to me. Nice arm strength, good accuracy (when he's on), Confident, etc. Honestly, if we end up taking a QB at #8, T. Wilson is the one I would mind THE LEAST.

Edited by #34fan

Good idea, but it would require some brains in the FO to bring in the Dolphins team MVP of 2011. The Bills are lacking in that dept.

I don't know wth you guys are thinking, first you denigrate Nix and then want him to draft a QB in any round?

He should draft on of the can't miss top 3 LT's with the 8th pick. Then looking back at the last 3 drafts Nix was responsible for...he should then take a nap for the rest of the draft after that #8 as he hasn't hit on anybody after that first pick.

Good idea, but it would require some brains in the FO to bring in the Dolphins team MVP of 2011. The Bills are lacking in that dept.

I don't know wth you guys are thinking, first you denigrate Nix and then want him to draft a QB in any round?

He should draft on of the can't miss top 3 LT's with the 8th pick. Then looking back at the last 3 drafts Nix was responsible for...he should then take a nap for the rest of the draft after that #8 as he hasn't hit on anybody after that first pick.

Dude, you've been really worked up the last few days.

Free agency hasn't even started yet. Try to relax a bit.

I disagree with you on the approach to QB acquisition.

Nix has drafted the likes of Torrell Troup and Aaron Williams in the second round so I'd be perfectly fine with the Bills drafting a second round QB to work with Marrone/Hackett.

Like others have said, the risk/reward at #41 is good for a QB, especially a QB with a high upside. If you don't like which way it's going after a year of evaluation, draft another QB next year.

Oh, I totally, understand the thought process, I just think drafting one this year smacks of desperation. -An emotion known to cloud judgement.

After paying Fitz like he did in '11, I question every move Buddy makes. Much better for his cred, IMO, to stand his ground, and say 'hey, the guy just isn't there.'

Even if I set the Russell Wilson, and TJ Graham calls aside, I still don't have much faith in Buddy's judgement. Which is the same, except now he's (put himself) under pressure to deliver a franchise QB.

Maybe things will work out... Still, I'd hate to miss out on a potential marquis defensive player (like Ansah) just so Buddy can say "mission accomplished"

Agree 1,000,000,000% on the nap!

...A little warm milk... A Blankey... Set the alarm for round 6, so he can wake up and grab a cornerback. :lol:

We can get the Fins backup QB? Super Bowl! Moore has had his moments, but he's a backup at best. I think the Fins having a top 10 defense was the main reason Miami won with him as a starter.

I know we all have to hate Fitz. Trust me, I want him replaced. But if you JAG (Just A Guy) QBs like Alex Smith or Matt Moore would have magically made the Bills into a winning team with one of the worst defenses in the league, you're delusional.