How Bad Would It Be For The Bills To Sign Matt Moore,

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We can get the Fins backup QB? Super Bowl! Moore has had his moments, but he's a backup at best. I think the Fins having a top 10 defense was the main reason Miami won with him as a starter.

I know we all have to hate Fitz. Trust me, I want him replaced. But if you JAG (Just A Guy) QBs like Alex Smith or Matt Moore would have magically made the Bills into a winning team with one of the worst defenses in the league, you're delusional.

I agree that Moore is more of a backup than he is a starter.

However he has started 12 games in Miami, all in 2011.

He was 6-6 in those games.

The Dolphins went 0-4 in the games he didn't start.

As I've posted before FWIW, Matt Moore's record as an NFL starter is 13-12.

Those teams that Moore started for were a combined 10-29 in the games he didn't start (5-8, 4-7, 1-10, 0-4).

http://www.pro-footb.../M/MoorMa01.htm

I agree that Moore is more of a backup than he is a starter.

However he has started 12 games in Miami, all in 2011.

He was 6-6 in those games.

The Dolphins went 0-4 in the games he didn't start.

As I've posted before FWIW, Matt Moore's record as an NFL starter is 13-12.

Those teams that Moore started for were a combined 10-29 in the games he didn't start (5-8, 4-7, 1-10, 0-4).

http://www.pro-footb.../M/MoorMa01.htm

He's everything fitz was supposed to be - a cheap placeholder and insurance policy.

You miss on a first rounder and tjack and he fight it out for a season to audition and we still have a backup. Rookies not ready, you have options. Rookie gets hurt, again options. Cash outlay this season is less than fitz. He will be cheap. Real cheap. Cap hit over a 2 year period is less even with fitz dead money. And he already has mentored someone before. He's well liked by teammates.

Forget the OPs crazy contract- he's exactly the type of qb that fits with a team in our position. Really the only risk is canning fitz before you could talk to him.

When will the nightmare end?

yup, this board has become unreadable.

Every armchair qb wants to sign every cast off from every team, every free agent who hasn't played in a couple of years and draft every player nobody has heard of. This board has been ruined. Very little informative, productive talk around here anymore.

Really?.... -Im not so sure.

In 2014, you’re getting Murray AND McCarron both seasoned to PERFECTON. Then there’s guys like Tyler Russell, Connor shaw, Teddy Bridgewater, Keith price, Stephen Morris, Bo wallace, Logan Thomas and (my sleeper) Gary Nova. Even at a glance, it’s a FAR SUPERIOR crop of kids. Don’t do it, Buddy. Hand Pettine the keys to the draft and STEP AWAY.

With this logic, perhaps we should keep Fitzpatrick. It would entertain me on the board for an entire offseason and season, while putting us in position to pick a "franchise" QB. I'm all in.

yup, this board has become unreadable.

Every armchair qb wants to sign every cast off from every team, every free agent who hasn't played in a couple of years and draft every player nobody has heard of. This board has been ruined. Very little informative, productive talk around here anymore.

This board is generally outstanding. Not a day goes by that I don't think how many excellent posters we have.

But thanks for your contribution.

With this logic, perhaps we should keep Fitzpatrick. It would entertain me on the board for an entire offseason and season, while putting us in position to pick a "franchise" QB. I'm all in.

What the heck happened to my post? Got a bunch of ampersands and crap all over it now.

Anyway, the point was that I don't believe we'll need to tank our season in order to get ripe talent next year. -Just may cost us a few picks is all. At a glance, the talent coming out seems worth it.

Cut Fitz immediately! -Sign Moore on the cheap, then Go D with the first three draft pix. This draft is fairly deep at wideout so there should be some good prospects available in rounds 4-7 .

What the heck happened to my post? Got a bunch of ampersands and crap all over it now.

Anyway, the point was that I don't believe we'll need to tank our season in order to get ripe talent next year. -Just may cost us a few picks is all. At a glance, the talent coming out seems worth it.

Cut Fitz immediately! -Sign Moore on the cheap, then Go D with the first three draft pix. This draft is fairly deep at wideout so there should be some good prospects available in rounds 4-7 .

If you know anything about me, keeping Fitz is the last thing I'd ever want for this team.

Look, the odds of us getting a QB at 8 are good.

Sadly, the goods available at 8 are ODD.

Why take a chance on a scrub when you can use those high picks to build a KILLER d-backfield, and secondary?

One that will be in place, and ready to help out a young Mariota or Manziell... This draft presents a RARE opportunity to upgrade key defensive positions. Not the least of them being LB, and SS.

Big deal, we pick at #12 in 2014... Fire sale the draft to grab that stud QB to match our brazen, punishing, passrush. After that you can buy your tix to the AFC Champioship and relax.

This is the weak argument I'm speaking of. "Brazen, punishing, passrush with the 8th pick? Then "fire sale"? Relax and watch? C'mon man.

What if the team you say to "fire sale" to needs a QB?

Moore will be one of the first QB free agents signed. If the plan is to cut Fritz and sign Moore, I'm in.

I think he could average 6 wins a season as good as the next guy. A fresh face is sorely needed for

Fritz and all involved. Without a new starting QB, it's going to be a tough sell for Russ Brandons beloved

inventory this year.

If you know anything about me, keeping Fitz is the last thing I'd ever want for this team.

Don't mind me, I say "cut Fitz immediately" in my sleep. -Just comes out sometimes. I wake up every morning and check my phone WISHING, HOPING, he's been let go.

This is the weak argument I'm speaking of. "Brazen, punishing, passrush with the 8th pick? Then "fire sale"? Relax and watch? C'mon man.

What if the team you say to "fire sale" to needs a QB?

You say "weak", I say "over your head". btw, it's not an argument, but a point of view. With the talent available in this draft,(LB,DE,SS) plus the experience owned by Pettine, we could concievably put together the type of passrush I described.

Have you been following this thread at all?

You say "weak", I say "over your head". btw, it's not an argument, but a point of view. With the talent available in this draft,(LB,DE,SS) plus the experience owned by Pettine, we could concievably put together the type of passrush I described.

Have you been following this thread at all?

Over my head? You don't even know i before e except after c.

trade down in the draft, and get extra draft picks?

I am guessing that Moore could be had for approx. 3 years/18 million. In this scenario, they could acquire more picks, fill holes, and go after a qb next year.

I suppose the question is whether or not Bills management thinks that he is better than Fitz. I lean towards thinking that he is.

Opinions?

According to this South Florida paper, Moore does not wish to play in Buffalo or Cleveland because of the "frigid weather" and Miami is pursuing him aggressively:

"The most coveted free agent from the Dolphins’ roster this offseason might be a guy who played just 56 snaps in 2012 – backup quarterback Matt Moore. He could fetch a two- or three-year contract worth $5 million per season.

Moore played admirably as the fill-in starter in 2011 with a 6-6 record, and impressed teams with his attitude in 2012 when he was relegated to the bench behind rookie Ryan Tannehill.

Moore hopes to find him a team that a) has a shaky starting quarterback, and b) is closer to his home in Southern California.

Arizona would seem like a good fit, but a league source said new coach Bruce Arians might want to sign Drew Stanton, who played for Arians last year in Indy.

Minnesota is an intriguing option, and you heard it here first: Don’t be shocked if the New York Jets, with Mark Sanchez running on fumes and only Tim Tebow (for the moment) and Greg McElroy behind him, make a play for Moore. Rex Ryan spoke this week at the Combine about providing more competition for Sanchez.

The Browns like Moore, but he doesn’t want to play in the frigid weather of Cleveland. The same likely goes for Buffalo.

The Dolphins, though, badly want Moore back. Several members of the organization – Ireland, Tannehill, offensive coordinator Mike Sherman – have called in the past two weeks to lobby him to come back. Sherman called Moore five times last week alone.

And don’t rule out a return. Moore likes it in Miami and has become friends with Tannehill, and would come back if a significantly better opportunity doesn’t present itself."

I don't see the Bills cutting Fitz, eating his $10 million dead money cap hit, then shelling out whatever it would take to outbid a bunch of other teams for a QB who apparently doesn't like cold weather.

Pass.

Over my head? You don't even know i before e except after c.

:lol:

Sadly, one typo won't bring you any closer to finding a clue.

You take a QB early in a draft like this, and you've squandered the pick. -Period.

Kids like Glennon, and Nassib, are direct beneficiaries of last year's rookie QB awesomeness... Any other year, those guys would be lucky to go in the third.

Envy. That's what's driving our next big mistake.

Edited by #34fan

You take a QB early in draft like this, and you've squandered the pick. -Period.

I like what you did there....the Period really emphasized your well constructed point. :thumbsup:

:lol:

Sadly, one typo won't bring you any closer to finding a clue.

You take a QB early in draft like this, and you've squandered the pick. -Period.

Kids like Glennon, and Nassib, are direct beneficiaries of last year's rookie QB awesomeness... Any other year, those guys would be lucky to go in the third.

Envy. That's what's driving our next big mistake.

But thankfully with the rookie salary cap in place, we can always draft another QB in next years draft even if the one from this year fails to meet expectation. Until you keep drafting them we are not going to succeed.

@alexmarvez

QB Matt Moore sticking with #Dolphins, as reported by @JeffDarlington, is nice re-signing. Solid backup who would've drawn some FA interest

@caplannfl

With Moore off the market, Brian Hoyer and Chase Daniel are the top free agent QBs. Tyler Thigpen also should get some attention.

Ugh!

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

Miami further thins QB market, re-signs Moore

4535.jpg

Dolphins re-signed QB Matt Moore.

Contract details aren't yet available. The move further dilutes the wafer-thin quarterback market, and is an indication Moore wasn't expecting to draw serious interest as a starter. The deal should make him one of the league's better paid backups, as the Dolphins clearly value his veteran presence behind franchise QB Ryan Tannehill. The "top" of the QB market now consists of Brian Hoyer (RFA), Chase Daniel, Jason Campbell and David Garrard. There's never been a worse time to need a quarterback.

so much for that one.......at least we can still cut Fitz and draft a qb at 8!

@ProFootballWkly

Per @JeffDarlington, QB Matt Moore is staying with the #Dolphins. Would have been one of, if not the top QB in free agency.

That says it all with respect to available FA QBs.

Good. Says the Bills from settling for another whatever QB. Btw, in 2011, the Fins finished 6th in points allowed. The Bills finished 3rd last. But it's all Fitz' fault and obviously, Matt Moore would have made all the difference.

Miami further thins QB market, re-signs Moore

4535.jpg

Dolphins re-signed QB Matt Moore.

Contract details aren't yet available. The move further dilutes the wafer-thin quarterback market, and is an indication Moore wasn't expecting to draw serious interest as a starter. The deal should make him one of the league's better paid backups, as the Dolphins clearly value his veteran presence behind franchise QB Ryan Tannehill. The "top" of the QB market now consists of Brian Hoyer (RFA), Chase Daniel, Jason Campbell and David Garrard. There's never been a worse time to need a quarterback.

so much for that one.......at least we can still cut Fitz and draft a qb at 8!

SiriusXM reported 2-yr deal at $8 million. No way does Fitz negotiate down now.

@alexmarvez

QB Matt Moore sticking with #Dolphins, as reported by @JeffDarlington, is nice re-signing. Solid backup who would've drawn some FA interest

@caplannfl

With Moore off the market, Brian Hoyer and Chase Daniel are the top free agent QBs. Tyler Thigpen also should get some attention.

Ugh!

LOL!! Thigpen should get some attention??

@alexmarvez

@caplannfl

Ugh!

Proof there was zero interest in him as a starter anywhere.