Clayton: Bills have interest in Michael Vick (re-signed w/Philly)

Buftex

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You say that as if it's worse.

Humans have a responsibility to the animals that we've domesticated. Eating them is fine (cows, pigs, dogs, whatever) because there's a definite utility. Starving them, torturing them, and making them fight in order to amuse us? You must be able to see the moral difference.

The point was that our morality with regard to dogs is colored by our experience. It's nowhere near as simple as you attempt to make it out to be.

I'm convinced most of what Clayton reports is his speculation and not based on any real sources

Makes me think of one of Marv's favorite sayings:

"Get a reputation as an early riser and you can sleep to noon."

The Great Kazoo (as well as plenty of other old guard insiders) appear to be "sleeping 'til noon" rather than working contacts, following up leads, etc...

That's fine. Then throw in whichever QB we draft this season. If fritz is retained, we'll most likely see him start 16 games and go 7-9. Accomplishing nothing, as we already knew what he would do. Be a very low end starter. Vick is exciting. Fritz is not. If the reason you guys don't want him, is due to his dog killing fiasco, I understand and that makes complete sense. In a football sense, fritz starting over Vick is lunacy.

In a football sense, Vick makes no sense. ask Eagles fans how exciting Vick has been for the past 2 seasons. If you think watching a mouse running from a cat is exciting, Vick's your man. If Vick went 7-9 next season with the Bills, it would be par for the course for him. he has had 1 season where he has won more than 8 games his entire career. And those were on better teams than the current incarnation of the Bills.

10-13 the last 2 season. Or winning seasons 2 of the last 3 season. Winning seasons 4 of his last 6. 56-44 in the regular season. He has proven he can win. Shall we go through fitzs career record, winning seasons, playoff? It's a waste of time, we all know he's a career loser. I don't hate the guy. It's just obvious that he isn't cut out to be a starting QB in the nfl. His skill set is limited and it limits the offensive playbook. Get me any QB that can make all of the nfl throws. A QB that the defense has to respect his long ball. It'll help our running game immensely. I understand he'll likely remain on the team after he restructures. He'll remain on the team because his current contract isn't cap friendly to cut him outright. The options available this year are sub par and has most likely saved him a seat as our starter next year (I'm getting ill), but he still sucks.

If you want a QB who can make all the nfl throws, why would you take Vick? he has barely completed half of his throws his entire career. He can throw the long ball, but not near anyone who can catch it.

"Shall we go through (Vick's) career and record, winning seasons, playoff?" Do so. He hasn't won a playoff game in 9 years.

Did any team "respect his long ball" last year? No, they just blitzed him out of the game--for two seasons. He's turned into JP Losman.

So let's pick him up!

I'm stunned by how many people in this thread state that Fitzpatrick is better,at this point, than Vick. It's laughable. It's akin to a fan stating that Aaron Schobel was a better defensive end than Bruce Smith (because they disliked Bruce Smith as a person). Fitzpatrick has terrible mechanics, a weak arm, and wilts under pressure. Vick, even at his age, possesses more athletic ability than Fitzpatrick could ever hope to have. Vick can throw a deep ball

(which #14 has proven he cannot). And what has been left unsaid- if the Bills were to acquire Vick, the move would be welcomed by the players, I'm certain of this.

Stevie Johnson would probably throw a party. Fitzpatrick is not only limited; but I do believe he's lost any confidence his teammates may have had in him. This move would at least improve morale. Keeping #14, and watching his stale act for yet another wasted season, is disgusting! You can changes coaches, but if you keep trotting crappy players like 14 out there, you're gonna get crappy results. I don't care who the Bills acquire, or how- we need a new starting qb!!

As President of the Michael Vick fan club this type of educated answer will not be accepted by some on this site. Most will say some of the most ridiculous and ignorant things just because they do not like Michael as a person (i.e.: If the bills acquire Vick I will stop watching the team). Well if one person makes you not like your lifelong favorite team then guess what they weren't your favorite team to begin with. Anyway you sir are correct and make a enormous amount of sense but you will be ridiculed by wanting a superior QB to the trash we have now. This is just a response to let you know what you are in for...

Thanks,

Management

In a football sense, Vick makes no sense. ask Eagles fans how exciting Vick has been for the past 2 seasons. If you think watching a mouse running from a cat is exciting, Vick's your man. If Vick went 7-9 next season with the Bills, it would be par for the course for him. he has had 1 season where he has won more than 8 games his entire career. And those were on better teams than the current incarnation of the Bills.

If you want a QB who can make all the nfl throws, why would you take Vick? he has barely completed half of his throws his entire career. He can throw the long ball, but not near anyone who can catch it.

"Shall we go through (Vick's) career and record, winning seasons, playoff?" Do so. He hasn't won a playoff game in 9 years.

Did any team "respect his long ball" last year? No, they just blitzed him out of the game--for two seasons. He's turned into JP Losman.

So let's pick him up!

My biggest concern with Vick would be keeping him healthy. The concussion he took that sidelined him last year occurred on what looked like a routine, falling forward tackle. It wasn't one of those head bouncing off the turf hits. His accuracy isn't great but it's about the same as Joe Flacco's and he can get the ball downfield. As I concurred with another poster earlier, I don't think we can assume that the Bills offense is going to pass protect as well for the next QB as it did for Fitzpatrick. Fitz can't make the throws he needs to, but he is very adept at avoiding sacks and big hits. And when he does get hit he is still a very durable, tough player with a cinder block for a skull in the open field. Never seems phased by the contact.

No offense, but I know you are part of a core group here on TBD that responds to virtually every post with an opinion,

Not every, and 99% of the time it is not even an opinion, just fluff!

but weren't you talking all season about not even watching the Bills games?

How dare you use your memory...

I am not questioning your fanhood, but exactly how much less interest can you have than choosing not to watch the games? :lol:

...to make a valid point.

I actually listen to every game, at the very least. I watched nearly all of the first 4 out of 5 games. Out of all the 64 Quarters the Bills played I probably viewed at least 34 of them, and enough time of the games to watch maybe 10 to 12 more Quarters chopped up. I base all of my opinions on what Beerball says the rest I just make up.

Is Vick good? No

Does Vick suck? No

Does Fritz suck? Yes

Did Vicks Oline in Philly suck more than fritz? Yes

Who would I rather watch play QB for the Bills, Fritz or Vick? Vick

Would I prefer other QBs to Vick? Yes, but if the choice is fritz or Vick, Vick wins unanimous dec.

Bingo.

Especially the O-line part. Vick over Fitz......easily.

I have mixed feelings about the Bills bringing Vick on board but what this shows me is the team is willing to investigate and access all options available. 'Leave no stone unturned' so to speak..

Are we actively looking under rocks for QB talent now? Great... If we end up with Vick's busted a$$, at least we can put him back where we found him.

So let's pick him up!

Never thought of it that way but that would be spot on!

Vick has a cannon, but accuracy is not his best attribute, and after taking a few shots he looks scared n runnnig for his life. This was mostly because the Eagles O-line was terrible. I do think that B-lo's line is far better than the eagles. Vick could play better here? I just dont see briging him in when Fitz will give the same amount of wins or more!(This is just my opinion) If they plan on runnng the read option, then Vick would be better suited, and this is the only reason i see him playing in B-lo other wise its another year of Fitz. Who knows Fitz may do better with an O that ran first and depended on his "arm" less. All in all, it really depends on what our new coaching staff wants to run!

If you pro-rate Vick's 10 games out to 16 here is how his stats from 2012 compare to Fitz:

Comps. Vick 326 Fitz 306

Comp. % Vick 58.1% Fitz 60.6%

Avg. yards/play Vick 6.7 Fitz 6.7

Comps. over 20 yds. Vick 43.2 Fitz 44

Comps. over 40 yds. Vick 6.4 Fitz 7

Yards Vick 3,779 Fitz 3,400

TDs Vick 19 Fitz 24

Ints Vick 16 Fitz 16

Fumbles lost Vick 8 Fitz 6

Sacks Vick 44.8 Fitz 30

Yds lost on sacks Vick 244.8 Fitz 161

Rush yds Vick 531 Fitz 197

Rush TDs Vick 1 Fitz 1

QB rating Vick 78.1 Fitz 83.3

Team Record Vick 4-12 Fitz 6-10

I thought we were looking to upgrade Fitz...where in all of that does it show that

Vick is significantly better?

NO to Vick!

If you pro-rate Vick's 10 games out to 16 here is how his stats from 2012 compare to Fitz:

Comps. Vick 326 Fitz 306

Comp. % Vick 58.1% Fitz 60.6%

Avg. yards/play Vick 6.7 Fitz 6.7

Comps. over 20 yds. Vick 43.2 Fitz 44

Comps. over 40 yds. Vick 6.4 Fitz 7

Yards Vick 3,779 Fitz 3,400

TDs Vick 19 Fitz 24

Ints Vick 16 Fitz 16

Fumbles lost Vick 8 Fitz 6

Sacks Vick 44.8 Fitz 30

Yds lost on sacks Vick 244.8 Fitz 161

Rush yds Vick 531 Fitz 197

Rush TDs Vick 1 Fitz 1

QB rating Vick 78.1 Fitz 83.3

Team Record Vick 4-12 Fitz 6-10

I thought we were looking to upgrade Fitz...where in all of that does it show that

Vick is significantly better?

NO to Vick!

Vick will never play a full season as a starter in this league again. Book it.

I strongly agree. Even if they keep Levitre I do not know if they are really an above average OL.

I am also not going to accept the line of thought that Cordy Glenn is going to be a good left tackle until he proves it. He is a big, soft bodied guy who had somewhat of a reputation as not being a self-starter, so he still has a lot of proving to do. I really would rather see him on the right side with an athlete like Joeckel on the left.

Speaking of the right side, the ROT was a problem last year. Mainly because of injuries, which happens to be a problem with this line. They aren't one of those lines that is going to start every game together. Eric "Balsa" Wood being almost a certainty to suffer some sort of injury. Pears, Urbik, Reinhardt, Colin Brown.....these guys all missed time.

I've been saying in other threads that we need to improve the Oline. Either take Fisher/Joeckel at 8 or move down and take Lane Johnson.

Where have you heard that?

Check many of the various threads concerning Bills upcoming draft.

Well, if Goodell doesn't dissuade Vick from Coming to Buffalo AGAIN, then this may be a viable short term solution. There are some moving parts involved, like our ability to resign Levitre. But if that were to happen, and we got Vick, on a team friendly restructured deal, it could be a perfect way to transition to a young QB. As someone astutely pointed out earlier, Vick has not been able to stay healthy, EVER, so the chances of him doing so now are slim and none. With our OLINE intact, CJ and stevie, plus whoever we bring in, Vick could thrive for a 8-14 games, and when he eventually does get hurt, the rookie gets his shot. Its almost a win-win scenario, if everything were working in our favor.

I could be wrong, but didn't the Eagles try to make Vick into a pocket type passer? Biggest problem in Philly was the line. Give Vick a good line, a great running game, and under Marone's system - high paced, kelly gun offense. I think it would interesting. A guy like Vick seems to be a better fit for that style than Fitz does. IMO.

Never thought of it that way but that would be spot on!

Vick has a cannon, but accuracy is not his best attribute, and after taking a few shots he looks scared n runnnig for his life. This was mostly because the Eagles O-line was terrible. I do think that B-lo's line is far better than the eagles. Vick could play better here? I just dont see briging him in when Fitz will give the same amount of wins or more!(This is just my opinion) If they plan on runnng the read option, then Vick would be better suited, and this is the only reason i see him playing in B-lo other wise its another year of Fitz. Who knows Fitz may do better with an O that ran first and depended on his "arm" less. All in all, it really depends on what our new coaching staff wants to run!

Vick could never run a read option offense. He's too dumb. He had a decent O-line in '11 and he crapped out then too. He's just not smart enough to play today's game. Every play where he can't find his primary receiver immediately is a busted play. He can't even outrun anyone anymore.

Vicksters are delusional. His career is what it is. Only one season with over 8 wins. And that was before he fell apart. Why on earth would this be the guy anyone would want.

"Fitz sucks. Let's bring in.....Mike Vick"??! Insanity.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Talk about being conflicted.

That would be the fan base if they did get him and The Bills became relevant again with Ron Mexico being the face of the team.

Say what you will about his rehab, and I'm glad for him that he went through all the steps. But that's the kind of thing that cuts too deep for a lot of people. It won't allow them to put that crap aside mentally and cheer for him as the leader of the team they're emotionally tied to.

That said, he's old, beat up, and wants a ton of cash and to be the starter. He could just stay in Philly, take less money than his current contract, and be the temporary solution while they groom a young guy. If he's not interested in doing that for the Iggles, what makes anyone think he'd uproot his family (he just bought a big house - no pun intended - in NJ, is married to a successful Philadelphia business woman) and move to B'lo for Fitz money? Any suitor will have to pony up some serious cash to get him to move, especially if they're offering essentially the same deal as he could get by staying put.

Nothing wrong with bringing in a semi-competent QB who will make the opponents game plan harder while we groom a rookie QB

yes , i think there is alot wrong with that.

Vick a mentor ?

Bringing him in would be messy at best. restructure Fitz or bring in a viable starter who is not a stopgap.

imro.

Vick is done producing