Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not with Ralph as the owner. I've witnessed this act for 45 years of so. I think history agrees with me.

This set of circumstances has never happened before. Your history book is blank with regards to this situation. Again, your assertion that nothing ever changes is ridiculous.

I'm sorry, but I can't believe it's all on the linebackers. I did not see every game this year and I did not break down the tape of the games I did watch, so I can't categorically state that Gilmore or Dareus, or any other player is particularly at fault. I can say that there was very little pass rush and an awful lot of the other teams' receivers were wide open down field at critical times. I can also say that Dareus for the most part seemed to make little impact. Given where he was picked and the players picked after him, that makes me think he was another Buddy miss. I hope he proves me wrong next year and thereafter.

No, it's definitely not all on the LBs. They were awful, but not THE problem. Dareus had a rough year, and I hate to say it, but it's understandable for such a young kid to struggle after losing a younger brother (to an unsolved murder, no less). Kyle Williams had to play through injury again, Mario didn't start the season healthy, Anderson only played 5 games, Kelsay missed 1/2 the season, George Wilson regressed, etc. Lots of reasons they were bad.

Also, Wannstedt's scheme is at fault as well.

So I guess I say all of that to say that I agree with you.

You don't have an idea how the dynamic is going to work out. Nix might be at the golf range every day and taking 3 hour lunches. Give these guys some credit for being professionals, even if they have made mistakes in the past. Clearly they have talked and arranged something agreeable to all.

I assume that they have the same 140 character tweet were working off of and will have to figure it all out on the fly.

This set of circumstances has never happened before. Your history book is blank with regards to this situation. Again, your assertion that nothing ever changes is ridiculous.

When I hear that Brandon is in charge of dictating what the budgets are within the football operations area, I will be a believer. Until then, consider me skeptical.

Edited by LabattBlue

Sorry man, just posting the ESPN version.. I dont play the Twitter horse crap... I think the DW info it great news

I understand not wanting to wade into twitter fulltime--- but the "horse crap" was reported on twitter by the likes of Adam Schefter (ESPN), Jason LaCanfora (NFL Network), Alex Marvez (Fox Sports), etc.

I will be disappointed if this happens. My feeling is that this is just a rewind to a few years ago. Brandon assumes control and hires the head coach. Nix stays as the GM until the end of the draft and has input into the hiring of the next head coach. What is different from three years ago when that same dynamic duo brought us Chan Gailey and his all-pro coaching staff? Hiring from within the organization is never a good idea, unless you have a strong organization.

Lets fully understand the situation before jumping to conclusions. All this means is that they no longer have to check in with Ralph. Brandon is going to let Buddy and Whaley run the football operations and they will report to Brandon. Basically Brandon is now the de-facto owner and Ralph will no longer meddle in the teams affairs. This team has no limits and can hire anyone without Ralph's approval. This is a great thing for the Bills organization.

It is if you believe that Brandon and Nix have the ability to build a football team. Why you would jump to that conclusion is lost on me. Unless you believe that Ralph was involved in day to day decisions...not aware of, but involved in day to day decisions in an intimate way...I see the same organization that existed before.

this is terrible news. We are essentially where we were 4 years ago when they tried to give Brandon absolute power. Results were awful and we demanded a qualified football exec to make the football decisions so they trotted in Nix. Now they are just reaffirming Brandon's power over everything including football stuff.

When I hear that Brandon is in charge of dictating what the budgets are within the football operations area, I will be a believer. Until then, consider me skeptical.

So until you hear specifically what's inherently implied by this is true - your going to continue to rage against it, instead of cautiously be optimistic?

Explain to me how how you know what the draft board exactly looked like?? So you know for a fact that Whaley didn't have Wilson higher?? Scouts can set the draft board but ultimately it's the GM who makes the final call on whom to take when.

So you could get rid of Whaley and bring in someone else new whom you really have no idea about. The Bill's brought in Whaley a couple years back to be the heir apparent to BN, now he's getting that shot. If his next three look terrible then it was a mistake, but that's the same identical risk you have with anyone you bring in.

RB has a good business mind and appears to know how to be a good manager, that's what the CEO needs to do. Make sure people make smart decisions. The problem was the last time he was in this role in a similar way, you had a clueless GM in Marv Levy who didn't appear to want to make any decisions. His style which he publicly stated was "consensus" So you had Marv and DJ trying to agree on who to draft or sign, more than likely RB went along with what those two wanted.

Got it. So nothing has changed. The same football personnel department that has drafted terribly over a 3-year period will remain in charge of this franchise going forward. Doug Whaley was responsible for setting the draft board (the same draft board that indicated Russell Wilson is not worthy of a 3rd round pick). With Russ Brandon -- who is already the CEO of the franchise now charge -- things are supposed to change?

What an utter joke. Whereas franchises like Jacksonville, Arizona, Cleveland and Indianapolis have cleaned house in an effort to bring in new front office talent, the Bills continue to accept abysmal performance as part of their DNA. Terrible product, but one that you undoubtedly endorse. :)

this is terrible news. We are essentially where we were 4 years ago when they tried to give Brandon absolute power. Results were awful and we demanded a qualified football exec to make the football decisions so they trotted in Nix. Now they are just reaffirming Brandon's power over everything including football stuff.

On the surface, this is a better reshuffle. In theory he will be hiring those football guys shortly. This is getting towards a much more traditional setup, where Brandon at GM was an odd one.

I think this is great news in fact. Most coaching hires are because (in order of importance):

1) they peripherally worked together 15 years ago.

2) they won't threatening the GMs job (ie they'll act like good underlings).

3) they knew their father.

4) they owe them a favor.

5) they're the best man for the job.

With Russ, we won't have to worry about any of this crap.

You have already declared this to not be the case... based upon what Ralph Wilson did in 1969. Solid reasoning there.

The new coaching staff will give me the answer that I want.

Wait, I thought you were waiting for exact quotes?

What exactly are you waiting for...seems to me you're more interested in being discontented with today's news than any facts about the situation

It has been reported that Whaley and Brandon are handling the hiring process and Nix is not.

I am aware. So if he can't look for the next HC, what good is it to hang on to him. There only needs to be one cook in the kitchen.

You don't have an idea how the dynamic is going to work out. Nix might be at the golf range every day and taking 3 hour lunches. Give these guys some credit for being professionals, even if they have made mistakes in the past. Clearly they have talked and arranged something agreeable to all.

This is, in essence, a straw-man argument. But let's say that Nix is on the golf course and merely scouting for the next few months. Who's making the call on free agents and draft picks? Is it Nix or Whaley, the current and future GM respectively? If you're the College Scouting or Pro Personnel director, who do you take direction and guidance from?

Most businesses and military units I've been with aren't a clean top-down organizational structure. But reducing the leadership and management structure helps to optimize efficiency. I don't see a need for hanging on to the outgoing guy if he's a lame duck.

Meh...Disappointing...I was hoping Brandon could get the housecleaning that Don Banks said he wanted, and that it would open the door for David Caldwell to come to Buffalo...Once again, to me at least, this is not good enough... B-)

What's funny are the number of fans who inevitably get there hopes up about SOME HUGE NEWS. Ohmergerd we are Super Bowl bound for sure now. bulldog said so. LOL.

Fin maroons. This team will shuffle some pieces, pick up some horrible coaches, draft the next class of born losers and miss the playoffs for the 14 straight season.

Mortgage your house, cash in your 401k and run don't walk to Vegas to bet the farm AGAINST this exceptional collection of failures. It's a cant miss.

I am aware. So if he can't look for the next HC, what good is it to hang on to him. There only needs to be one cook in the kitchen.

This is, in essence, a straw-man argument. But let's say that Nix is on the golf course and merely scouting for the next few months. Who's making the call on free agents and draft picks? Is it Nix or Whaley, the current and future GM respectively? If you're the College Scouting or Pro Personnel director, who do you take direction and guidance from?

Most businesses and military units I've been with aren't a clean top-down organizational structure. But reducing the leadership and management structure helps to optimize efficiency. I don't see a need for hanging on to the outgoing guy if he's a lame duck.

It is called respect. And it really doesn't matter how it appears to YOU, as long as they have it worked out internally.

It's a shame you can't wrap your mind around letting a life-long football man have 4 more months in the business before he steps aside.

Wait, I thought you were waiting for exact quotes?

What exactly are you waiting for...seems to me you're more interested in being discontented with today's news than any facts about the situation

You know what...jump for joy with Brandon(marketing guy turned man in charge of NFL organization) being in charge, and the notion that Ralph/Littman are no longer involved. I'll sit back and wait to be proven wrong.

What's funny are the number of fans who inevitably get there hopes up about SOME HUGE NEWS. Ohmergerd we are Super Bowl bound for sure now. bulldog said so. LOL.

Fin maroons. This team will shuffle some pieces, pick up some horrible coaches, draft the next class of born losers and miss the playoffs for the 14 straight season.

Mortgage your house, cash in your 401k and run don't walk to Vegas to bet the farm AGAINST this exceptional collection of failures. It's a cant miss.

That's why we're called "fans", it's short for fanatic.

In every exchange, eventually someone has to resort to slinging insults...well done...hope the New Year treats you well.

Gilmore played well, the guy allowed 4 TD passes after his disasterous week 1.

Go back and watch his man-on-man performance against Fitzgerald in week 6.

Dareus had a rough year, and he needs to be better, but there's no doubt the ability is there.

s

First off my apologies for that comment.

Second, I like Gillmore but the point is that these drafts by this front office -- which includes Whaley -- have been abysmal aside from the few solid players you mention. 7-10 rookies better than Gilmore was a clear exaggeration on my part - that said, he gets beat an awful lot for a guy who drew comparisons to Darrelle Revis before the season began. Pergaps that is due to coaching and scheme.

Nevertheless, I thnk the failure of this organization to bring a fresh outside perspective at this juncture is indicative of the ineptitude that continues to pervade it. I hope I am wrong

You know what...jump for joy with Brandon(marketing guy turned man in charge of NFL organization) being in charge, and the notion that Ralph/Littman are no longer involved. I'll sit back and wait to be proven wrong.

but you aren't sitting back - you are actively arguing with people who see this as a positive move. You have declared what it is before what it is has even been announced.

Haven't read through the last few pages but I'm putting it out there that the Chan firing was Russ' move and his call on if Nix stays. Most likely Nix wanted Chan to stay and was ready to live with that until Russ barged in on his game. Russ most likely also told Nix that he's only going to be kept in to transition to Whaley and hi input on the draft this season and this season alone.

I am aware. So if he can't look for the next HC, what good is it to hang on to him.

Really? Recruiting and selecting a HC candidate is a much different skill and task from scouting and ranking college players, and from evaluating pro personnel.

There are lots of discrete roles available for Whaley and Nix - in fact most NFL teams segment college scounting from pro personnel.

Yes, because that's been the overwhelming sentiment on this thread.

What in God's name are you reading?

Obviously there is some kind of disconnect between what I'm writing and what you're reading. Please point to where I "jumped for joy"...I'll hang out...