Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

Given the extension to Fitz, the resigning of Stevie, the acquisition of Mario and Anderson, the pleas to Cowher and Shanahan, taking care of Freddie, etc - can someone point me to something that says money has been even the slightest factor during the Nix/Gailey regime?

Don't forget, they payed 10 bucks an hour to shovel snow.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see, perhaps because Nix is stepping down and Ralph no longer has input.

If you don't consider that change, I have a large plot of wetland in Florida you might be interested in.

Do you think Ralph will really no longer call regularly? RB will still be employed by RW. And nix is still in. This seems to give RB more leeway to do what he wants, but I think he was already the top guy in shaping Ralph's opinion- as indicated by Ralph choosing him.

Heck, just a few years ago russ was GM and in charge of all things football too.

I think it's a positive move but not near the radical change you are expecting.

Edited by NoSaint

This isn't really true. You can offer the ability to run your show TODAY. I don't see how much has really changed - by all accounts Russ was already mostly in charge. He can say it's his team, but it's not - it's Ralph's team. We'll unfortunately be reminded of this somewhere in the not so distant future given his age and apparent health issues in the last year. Then what? A new owner will once again be holding the keys. If there was some sort of succession plan announced as part of this transition, would be a lot more promising for a potential next coach.

But now Russ has all the incentive in the world - more than he even had as CEO - to ensure that he keeps his elevated position under new ownership. In practice, that means he has to try to become PART of the new ownership. He needs to ally himself with an ownership group that will retain him as the managing partner, even while he doesn't bring any serious money to the table. That sounds daunting, but Russ has two key pieces of leverage - his current role as owner-in-all-but-title, and his close relationship with Ralph. If anyone is going to convince Ralph to give a hometown discount to a prospective ownership group, it's his boy Russ.

Do you think Ralph will really no longer call regularly? RB will still be employed by RW. And nix is still in. This seems to give RB more leeway to do what he wants, but I think he was already the top guy in shaping Ralph's opinion- as indicated by Ralph choosing him.

I think it's a positive move but not near the radical change you are expecting.

I didn't say it would be a "radical" change, but it will definitely be a change.

Last time that happened AJ Smith blew the draft on purpose.

So you think Whaley is going to purposely tank the draft to get out of his future job as GM of the Bills? I disagree.

Brandon and Whaley hire the next coach, I'm guessing.

That's what La Canfora said.

So the big changes will be a new website and so fancy email campaigns! Meanwhile, they will hire another chump like Wisehunt and not draft any top QB because Chan told Buddy day dee boy ain't no good!

If you think Ralph handed his checkbook to Brandon, you are dreaming!

So this whole thing is a lie?

Unfortunately, the draft is precisely where Buddy has done the most damage to this franchise.

Right, guys like Spiller, Carrington, Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn, etc. are KILLING this team

No Nix. Keep up with the conversation.

Ah, I see, so Brandon and Whaley will just let Nix tank this draft...that makes much more sense...what's in the water today?

Russ has no money to spend and that's the problem. He is still just Wilson's yes man.

But he does have keys to Ralph's car, so let's see if he can drive.

I'll give him a while before I decide if he deserves his licence.

Are you basing this on the $100M they gave to Mario? Or the millions they're raking in from the Toronto extension?

Just curious.

Russ has no money to spend and that's the problem. He is still just Wilson's yes man.

But he does have keys to Ralph's car, so let's see if he can drive.

I'll give him a while before I decide if he deserves his licence.

His choice for the next HC will say quite a bit about whether the car is driving in the wrong direction and headed for a crash.

Thanks, I always do. Nothing better than family and football.

And yes, Nix is stepping down.

https://twitter.com/JasonLaCanfora

Just not today...after the draft.

Got it. So nothing has changed. The same football personnel department that has drafted terribly over a 3-year period will remain in charge of this franchise going forward. Doug Whaley was responsible for setting the draft board (the same draft board that indicated Russell Wilson is not worthy of a 3rd round pick). With Russ Brandon -- who is already the CEO of the franchise now charge -- things are supposed to change?

What an utter joke. Whereas franchises like Jacksonville, Arizona, Cleveland and Indianapolis have cleaned house in an effort to bring in new front office talent, the Bills continue to accept abysmal performance as part of their DNA. Terrible product, but one that you undoubtedly endorse. :)

Edited by Dawgg

So it's basically a non-story story.

Russ gets more control b/c Ralph is old (duh). The Nix-to-Whaley transition will happen (which we always expected).

Nothing to see here.

New head coach? That's news. New QB? That's news. This? Eh.

Yup. All of this has been in progress for a few years - just announced that its at the tipping point today.

So it's basically a non-story story.

Russ gets more control b/c Ralph is old (duh). The Nix-to-Whaley transition will happen (which we always expected).

Nothing to see here.

New head coach? That's news. New QB? That's news. This? Eh.

Have to start somewhere. Coach soon and QB later on.

Edited by nucci

So this whole thing is a lie?

Right, guys like Spiller, Carrington, Dareus, Gilmore, Glenn, etc. are KILLING this team

Ah, I see, so Brandon and Whaley will just let Nix tank this draft...that makes much more sense...what's in the water today?

They let AJ tank it.

Got it. So nothing has changed. The same football personnel department that has drafted terribly over a 3-year period will remain in charge of this franchise going forward. Doug Whaley was responsible for setting the draft board (the same draft board that indicated Russell Wilson is not worthy of a 3rd round pick). With Russ Brandon -- who is already the CEO of the franchise now charge -- things are supposed to change?

What an utter joke. Whereas franchises like Jacksonville, Arizona, Cleveland and Indianapolis have cleaned house in an effort to bring in new front office talent, the Bills continue to accept abysmal performance as part of their DNA. Terrible product, but one that you undoubtedly endorse. :)

Okay then, go cry in your oatmeal...

Yup. All of this has been in progress for a few years - just announced that its at the tipping point today.

Tipping point...well put.

They let AJ tank it.

Wait, so John Butler, who was the GM at the time, allowed his assistant GM to tank the draft, which means that Nix, who's GM now, will tank the draft despite the presence of Whaley and Brandon?

Got it....love that logic. How, might I ask, do you know of this devious plan? I need to get some of those sources!

You clearly aren't very bright -- which great for the Bills' ticket office and merchandise sales :)

Gilmore wasn't very good this year, despite what you say. And make all the rookie excuses you want, there were at least 7-10 rookie CB's that played better than him this season. Dareus has underachieved relative to his draft status. Solid starter, hardly dominant. And most of this front office's picks have been dubious.

I think it's a great development. Russ is a WNY guy who has worked hard to cement the team here by moving TC to Rochester and establishing the Toronto series. I think he'll be working behind the scenes to broker a deal with new ownership as well.

Also, I think Nix is essentially done now - neutered by the firing of a coach that he said he was going to retain despite his putrid record. Whaley will have a HUGE hand in selecting the new coach and the new QB in the draft.

Great day to be a Bills fan! 2013 is looking up.

Well, somebody is responsible for assembling one of the worst defenses in NFL history, on a team with no QB, right?

You clearly aren't very bright -- which great for the Bills' ticket office and merchandise sales :)

Gilmore wasn't very good this year, despite what you say. And make all the rookie excuses you want, there were at least 7-10 rookie CB's that played better than him this season. Dareus has underachieved relative to his draft status. Solid starter, hardly dominant. And most of this front office's picks have been dubious.

Please do tell of these 7-10. I'm interested.

I was really disgusted with this at first, but the reaction of the local media guys, who are normally so negative about it, changed my mood to more optimistic. Removes the Ralph/Littman influence, age goes way down with Brandon/Whaley, I like that they don't need Ralph's approval for the new coach....big deall

Name atleast 7-10.

Seriously. I'm curious to see names.