Russ Brandon named President/CEO

Wagon Circler

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As much as I'm wary of Russ for various reasons, this may be a positive--- no more meddling or influence from Littman/Ralph. It's been reported several times that Russ has been held back from making bigger personnel moves. So long as the football guys continue to make football decisions.

If Brandon is in charge of football operations we might as well just suspend the team until it is sold. He has already proven he knows nothing about the football side of things, he needs to stick to the marketing.

If this is true it will be the biggest step backward since we lost our last true GM in John Butler.

RTB

I've got a real bad feeling about all of this

I liked Butler but he was a scout and said so after getting the GM job.......However he was a great scout.

Edited by nucci

Why? Read above. Buddy has been pretty bad in running the football operations.

Because a marketing guy shouldn't run football operations. Decisions are made to sell tickets, not build a team. For example - Tyrell Owens.

What's the difference at this point whether the GM reports to Brandon or to RW?? Neither is a football mind. At this point it appears RW is kind of out of things and other than top level things like firing the coach RW is not involved much. And give it another 6 t o12 months the way he appears to be going, it could be even much less. I seriously don't think RB is going to be making the draft picks, that will fall to the GM. Will he have input as to how much to pay a coach or GM yes, though that would likely need RW blessing anyway.

Assuming it is announced that BN is staying as GM, if DW doesn't get any interviews for an open GM spot, that tell me that BN isn't long for the current job. GM contracts expire May 1st, I think BN sticks around til lthen, then announces he is going into semi retirement as a scout. Or maybe they will even announce that part today.

this makes some sense to me, although I don't like. Brandon is not a football mind, and should not be fooling with that side of the business. (President or not) Having said that, IF I was planning to have Buddy around a little while longer, and have, say, Whatley take over. AND, I wanted to have Whatley report to Brandon at that time. AND, I wanted to avoid an racial overtones when the change is made, I would have Nix report to Brandon until he is gone, and his replacement Whatley then automatically reporting to Brandon. It would be bad optics to make the promotion and change of reporting at the same time. Anyhow, thats in the for what its worth category.

Lets fully understand the situation before jumping to conclusions. All this means is that they no longer have to check in with Ralph. Brandon is going to let Buddy and Whaley run the football operations and they will report to Brandon. Basically Brandon is now the de-facto owner and Ralph will no longer meddle in the teams affairs. This team has no limits and can hire anyone without Ralph's approval. This is a great thing for the Bills organization.

This is not a bad thing. Its the first major step in transition to new ownership. It also means that decisions can be made without calls or visits to Detroit. What NFL owner other than Jerry Richardson played in the league? Russ becomes a functioning owner who will give the last approval to football decisions rather than Ralph. I think it makes the job of coach more attractive. No weekly calls to Detroit, its in the building at OBD. The team will be able to function quicker.

Edited by JoeF

Adam Schefter@AdamSchefter

Bills naming Russ Brandon president/CEO with full authority. GM Buddy Nix is staying, with team transitioning Doug Whaley to GM at some pt.

i am getting behind this a little but now that i heard that. This and the fact that Raloh will not be meddling or at least make it known he. Won't be meddling and maybe we can get a coach that wouldn't have come in for those reasons and the financial shackles.

This is not a bad thing. Its the first major step in transition to new ownership. It also means that decisions can be made without calls or visits to Detroit.

Makes you wonder about Ralph's health.

Edited by DGW54321

i am getting behind this a little but now that i heard that. This and the fact that Raloh will not be meddling or at least make it known he. Won't be meddling and maybe we can get a coach that wouldn't have come in for those reasons and the financial shackles.

That's probably not true. I suspect that some controls are in place. Obviously, he can't lose money, but how much spending authority does he have? Can he spend 10+ million a year on a coach? Does he have cap restrictions?

That's probably not true. I suspect that some controls are in place. Obviously, he can't lose money, but how much spending authority does he have? Can he spend 10+ million a year on a coach? Does he have cap restrictions?

in the end it sounds as there's less shackling than before.

C'mon, people. This is Ralph getting hands-off, and for anyone who has ever been worried about RW's meddling, here's another shot that hasn't really been tried since Donahoe's days. If Brandon is really a genius at marketing, he realizes right now that nothing is going to restore the Bills' position like a winner. That starts with bringing in good football people. I realize the Bills' track record isn't good, but I'm willing to wait and see what happens before getting my undies all in a bunch.

Tim Graham@ByTimGraham

Sources: Russ Brandon, Doug Whaley on rise; Buddy Nix easing outhttp://bit.ly/1328LtZ

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/press-coverage/2013/01/sources-russ-brandon-doug-whaley-on-rise-buddy-nix-easing-out.html

"CEO Russ Brandon is expected to be given greater control over football operations, answering only to owner Ralph Wilson, while General Manager Buddy Nix will be phased out.

It's still unclear what the plan is for Nix. He could remain with the team in an advisory capacity and still have input on the next draft. Assistant GM and pro personnel director Doug Whaley is expected to have an increased role within the organization.

What is clear is that Brandon is charting the course for football side and the coaching search to replace Chan Gailey, who was fired Monday morning.

The Bills have not announced who will take part in today's news conference. Only two chairs are on the podium in the media center at One Bills Drive."