Everyone needs to settle a bit

I went to the game and was sickened just like everyone else, but it truly is only one game. It is doubtful if we get to first place in our division, but it is a long season and there are lots of things that can happen. I think Spiller and Jackson in the backfield are still really dangerous and the defense will watch film of this and improve if not a whole bunch.

Are you kidding me?

This team is an absolute disgrace. It's sickening to watch a bunch of losers represent our city and they don't even try. F'n pathetic. 2 division games and we get absolutely destroyed! We didn't just lose those games, we were beat down, crapped on, then laughed at! Tom Brady calling us bitches in our own house and there was barely a peep from anyone!! Nothing! This team is no different than any of them over the past 10 years. A outright joke and they don't deserve to represent our city. If Brady laughing at you and calling you a B word in your own stadium doesn't put you right through the roof, you should be cut from the team today.

4 games in and Mario Williams hasn't done a friggin thing. I'm not calling him a bust yet but it's close. He has been handled easily by average right tackles and wasn't double teamed or chipped. Horrible.

RTB

it's over......

for me, making the playoffs is the only measure of success.....and that ain't happening.

I guess the NFL should cancel the last 3/4 of the schedule if the season is over. Two bad halfs of football do not constitute a season, no matter how bad they were.

I went to the game and was sickened just like everyone else, but it truly is only one game. It is doubtful if we get to first place in our division, but it is a long season and there are lots of things that can happen. I think Spiller and Jackson in the backfield are still really dangerous and the defense will watch film of this and improve if not a whole bunch.

I know it wasn't your intention, but your thread title could be taken another way; couldn't it? We've settled for far too long. I'm not going anywhere but I am fed up with lower mediocrity and I don't see an end in sight.

I will definitely remember my Tops Supermarket "Whammy" (circa 1983) next time I attend the Pats game.

Anyone over age 40 should remember what those were.

Pretty sure it was Bells, not Tops

I guess the NFL should cancel the last 3/4 of the schedule if the season is over. Two bad halfs of football do not constitute a season, no matter how bad they were.

How about 10 years of crappy football? People have every right to complain about this team. There should be no excuses and yet even after an embarrising loss people come on here and say it's only 2 games or the season is long. It's been over a decade and we should demand better.

100 points allowed in 2 division games is valid cause for concern. These are the teams you need to beat to get into the playoffs. At this point I can envision the Bills dropping all 6 division contests this season. Miami, although they are 1-3, played hard and tough against an undefeated Arizona team on Sunday falling once again in overtime. The Bills on the other hand folded rather the going down fighting in the second half as soon as NE took the lead. The Bills defensive gameplan was so bad and without adjustments it appeared that NE's offense completely understood the Bills defensive strategy like they attended the Bills practices and knew exactly what to expect. And on offense continuing to have Fitz throw the ball 30+ times is asking for trouble. This shows a lack of creativity and flexibility needed to approach each game as a unique set of challenges rather than following a cookie cutter approach on offense. I'll wager the approach Gailey takes against the 49ers, even without two o-line starters, is not significantly different than what we saw on Sunday.

IMO the front office is doing a decent job of gathering players but the coaching staff is falling down on the job here. Something we've gotten used to seeing for what seems like forever. Looking at the next 5 games and how they've played to date it's not hard to see the Bills at 3-6 unless a light goes on somewhere and this defense starts to meet expectations.

That said, I;ll be rooting for them but there's nothing wrong with being discouraged by what we've seen so far.

"We have to play the game more on their side of the line of scrimmage. We have to create more penetration, get the linebackers more downhill and things like that. That is the one thing you can do to create a difference. If (when) we play them again, that would be our thought process. How can we play more on their side of the line of scrimmage?'"

Have no fear - Chan has it all figured out for next game....he is pretty much telling the Pats we will be blitzing more next game...ohhhh, and we want to be on their side of the line of scrimmage more. Can you say "Master of the Obvious"?

No, it was two games against Division rivals in which they got blown out. You can't win a division that way.

It was a game where CJ should have sat out and given FredX a chance to regain his mojo.

This is only half right. FredEx looked like he was playing hurt as well. He looked really slow - not surprising being hurt and wearing a brace on his knee.

I'm not faulting either RB, and I don't believe in Choice, so I don't think there was a better answer.

Other than two injured RB's, I saw (yet again) a QB who can make some good throws and decisions but is really bad at deep passes (so many underthrows) and spotty on accuracy, and I saw an undertalented LB corps which we kind of knew would still be an issue since Bradham and Carder were the only adds and late-round ones.

I also saw both Kyle Williams and Dareus getting blown back a lot. They looked slow at the snap - multiple times it seemed like they didn't react to the snap and the OL was already firing and had them on their heels noticeably before they could move. I have never seen that before so I don't know what to make of it.

not at all.....i love a good comedy....people who laugh live longer....with this team i'm a lock to make it to 100.

Except...it's two games, against solid division rivals, where we were absolutely humiliated.

It's not that we lost that bothers me, it's HOW we lost - absolute blow-out spanking, without coaching adjustments to account for things that absolutely were not working.

I am hopeful - and even I am bummed.

Look, it's not over, but realistically speaking we're going to have to win at least three games in the division to have a shot. This means we're going to have to get those playing the Patriots at home, sweep the Dolphins, and win the last game of the season against the Jets, We have an incredibly tough looking two game road trip ahead and we'll be lucky to be 3-4 at the bye. Panic time? No. Time to get serious? Yes.

I'm not faulting either RB, and I don't believe in Choice, so I don't think there was a better answer.

I could not disagree more. Choice is far far better than either Spiller or FredEx was on Sunday. Gailey showed just how desperate he was by playing them Sunday and just how unwilling to acknowledge his mistake but using Choice once it was evident that both Spiller and Jackson were too injured to be effective.

Some people secretly/subconsciously want to be miserable, too bad most of them are on sites like this.

I beg to differ. I am a very happy man. I am very satisfied with my job, my family and life in general. I am not, however even close to being satisfied with the football team that I have chosen to follow for the past 50 + years. That was an embarrassment on Sunday and it was the second time in two tries against division opponents that this team has been thoroughly embarrassed. It is not just one game, it is a pattern of ineptness over a number of years and it is very disheartening to watch. It would have been different if they even put up a fight, but it was obvious in the second half, that NE could score whenever they wanted. They were toying with this team and laughing at them. I just wish this team would grow some pride and refuse to be beaten. I wouldn't even know where to begin to fix this team, it is so badly broken. I would have to start with the coaching staff though. There is no excuse for being as clueless as the Bills have been against division opponents since Gailey and company have taken charge. Secretly wanting to be miserable? Not even close. I would love nothing more than to be able to come on this forum and talk about what a good job these guys are doing. They have to earn that though and they ain't even in the ballpark.

It would save Bills fans a lot of agony if they did. This team has shown that they are going nowhere and will not be able to compete with any team that is better than average. May as well not show up if you're going to play the way they did Sunday. Cancelling doesn't sound like a bad option at this point. They would lose each game by 7-0. That is a hell of a lot better than giving up 100 + points to division opponents in only two games.

I could not disagree more. Choice is far far better than either Spiller or FredEx was on Sunday. Gailey showed just how desperate he was by playing them Sunday and just how unwilling to acknowledge his mistake but using Choice once it was evident that both Spiller and Jackson were too injured to be effective.

Jackson might not have been great running the ball (though the OL was horrible for both Spiller and Jackson) but he made two crucial third and long plays to extend drives that ended up in TDs. Without those plays the Bills send up punting on those drives.

I know we are all delusional as Bills fans but let's see what is REALLY going on here. Every single thread on this board will be related to the draft by the time November gets here. Thses guys can't even COMPETE (let alone win) against a divisional team. Tell me how the Bills are going to have a better record than:

Patriots

Ravens

Texans

Broncos

Steelers

Chargers

Bengals

They weren't just two games we got blown out, they were two divisional games we got blown out, and one of them was against a team that isn't very good in the Jets. Never gonna do anything successful if you can't win in the division since almost half of your games are against them. They are 2-12 under Gailey in the division, that is pitiful, especially considering how bad MIami has been the majority of Gailey's tenure here.

Except...it's two games, against solid division rivals, where we were absolutely humiliated.

It's not that we lost that bothers me, it's HOW we lost - absolute blow-out spanking, without coaching adjustments to account for things that absolutely were not working.

I am hopeful - and even I am bummed.

If it ain't workin', stick with it. B-)

Jackson might not have been great running the ball (though the OL was horrible for both Spiller and Jackson) but he made two crucial third and long plays to extend drives that ended up in TDs. Without those plays the Bills send up punting on those drives.

Fred: 13 attempts, 29 yards and 3 receptions for 50 yards which isn't bad.

CJ: 8 attempts, 33 yards and 2 receptions for 5 yards.

Should not have been out there and the Bills are very lucky they didn't lose one or both of them for the season.

45 unanswered points after taking a 21-7 lead is pretty hard to stomach. The Jets wiping us up as if they were the reigning superbowl champs is hard to take. Yeah...we beat two pretty weak non-divisional sisters. I'm going to be very interested in seeing whether we come back and at least play a respectable game next week.

Nine wins, chan..nine wins.

Some people secretly/subconsciously want to be miserable, too bad most of them are on sites like this.

So the take away is that people that settle for 3rd or 4th in the AFC East year in and year out and are happy drafting in the top 12 every year are secretly/subconsciously elated and merry. It's not just settling for inferiority, it's actually a thrill ride.

PS: I was one of the few people after this last debacle that posted here and suggested that some of the Bills problems might be correctable, btw. The thought was scoffed and laughed at, but I did and do believe some of the coaching failures can be fixed. I'm not suggesting that it is likely however.

I beg to differ. I am a very happy man. I am very satisfied with my job, my family and life in general. I am not, however even close to being satisfied with the football team that I have chosen to follow for the past 50 + years. That was an embarrassment on Sunday and it was the second time in two tries against division opponents that this team has been thoroughly embarrassed. It is not just one game, it is a pattern of ineptness over a number of years and it is very disheartening to watch. It would have been different if they even put up a fight, but it was obvious in the second half, that NE could score whenever they wanted. They were toying with this team and laughing at them. I just wish this team would grow some pride and refuse to be beaten. I wouldn't even know where to begin to fix this team, it is so badly broken. I would have to start with the coaching staff though. There is no excuse for being as clueless as the Bills have been against division opponents since Gailey and company have taken charge. Secretly wanting to be miserable? Not even close. I would love nothing more than to be able to come on this forum and talk about what a good job these guys are doing. They have to earn that though and they ain't even in the ballpark.

It would save Bills fans a lot of agony if they did. This team has shown that they are going nowhere and will not be able to compete with any team that is better than average. May as well not show up if you're going to play the way they did Sunday. Cancelling doesn't sound like a bad option at this point. They would lose each game by 7-0. That is a hell of a lot better than giving up 100 + points to division opponents in only two games.

This might be the most intelligent thing I have ever read on this board and I couldn't agree more.

It's only been 12+ years of bad football. No reason to think those 2 ugly losses to division rivals means anything.

Plus Gailey said he is OKAY w Stache's game plan? Well that's really good news.

Edited by qwksilver

I understand what the OP was trying to get at.

Sunday and Monday i was just pissed at the game and way the Bills played.

Today i started to think about some of the positives. Gilmore had some nice pass defended- he will only get better. Fitz to jackson for the long gainer was a nice wrinkle. I could say more but i am sure each thing i point out will be countered by a negative opposite play.

Trust me i think this team has completely under achieved pre-season expectations. And i am not sure if Chan and Wanny can right the ship, but i am still going to watch.

IF they can win one of the next two and be 3-3 after the first 6 then they got a shot. I remember in the preseason many of us thought this way. So, here the Bills are at 2-2, with a shot at 3-3.

Seriously, who really thought we could win the division? I'd be very very happy with a wild card spot, and anyone who actually thought we were ready to overtake the Pats is delusional.

I know we are all delusional as Bills fans but let's see what is REALLY going on here. Every single thread on this board will be related to the draft by the time November gets here. Thses guys can't even COMPETE (let alone win) against a divisional team. Tell me how the Bills are going to have a better record than:

Patriots

Ravens

Texans

Broncos

Steelers

Chargers

Bengals

I could see us overtaking any of the last 4 teams in that list...especially the Bengals.

A few thoughts about the topic of the post. (Or, "The More Things Seem to Change With the Bills, the Results Are the Same")

Logical, I understand your reasoning, but we've all seen & heard this the last 12 years, man.

A.This team is not going to go very far with this defense unless there's HUGE improvement during the season! From where I stand, there's a few reasons for this:

We have a D coordinator that doesn't (can't?) make adjustments on-the-fly during a game, which is a must for any NFL coach.

Other teams know our LB corps & D backfield is average and therefore can be exploited.

The D line is not collapsing the pocket enough.

This hardly makes for a "tough" defense "Played by tough people." Chan, I'm looking at you.

B. There seems to be a lack of fire & team leadership, especially when things are going bad. Are there players walking up & down the bench firing guys up when our opponents have gained the momentum? Doesn't seem so to me.

This lack of guts attitude is reflected on the field: Fumbles/intercepts when we do have the momentum. A bonehead penalty that gives the other team another chance. We get a turnover & we don't go for the home run strike on the first offensive play. This is not "tough", go-for-the- jugular play.

Therefore, the team lacks an identity. Year in & year out, it just floats along, like a boat w/ no rudder, "trying" to win games. Result? 12 years of average to below average seasons. No matter who the players are, no matter who the coaches are, the result is always the same: a malaise.

C.So finally, Logical, I understand your point. There's still 75% of the season left and a lot can happen, and I hope it does! A lot of us Bills fans are uneasy because we've seen this act again & again. We're 3 years now into the Nix/Gailey regime.Pretty much all of the marbles are supposed to be in place, and already we're showing we can't beat teams in our own division.

I have heard this line at least once a year for the last 10 years. It's getting, sorry, gotten old.

Agreed. Tried to be optimistic with the offseason moves, but instead we got Buffaloed. Nothing has changed. The Bills are still a bad football team. Good teams don't lose 52-28, sorry folks....

Seriously, who really thought we could win the division? I'd be very very happy with a wild card spot, and anyone who actually thought we were ready to overtake the Pats is delusional.

I could see us overtaking any of the last 4 teams in that list...especially the Bengals.

Well they definitely have to pass 2 of them and if you look at some of the schedules, good luck.

I am still an optimist and feel that several teams that look unbeatable can be beaten (MN over SF, OAK over PIT in week 3)

Patriots have had our number for many many years so a loss like this is not that troubling. Jets look like they are taking a nosedive and we still haven't even played Miami yet.

On the other hand, if Fitz can't throw long, why can't they try someone else for a play (maybe Brad Smith)

How about 10 years of crappy football? People have every right to complain about this team. There should be no excuses and yet even after an embarrising loss people come on here and say it's only 2 games or the season is long. It's been over a decade and we should demand better.

Absolutey....

This lack of guts attitude is reflected on the field: We get a turnover & we don't go for the home run strike on the first offensive play. This is not "tough", go-for-the- jugular play.

I actually think we did do that exact thing on one of Chandlers touchdowns, the second one? Maybe I'm misremembering, but in general, I agree, we rarely do that.