Who will be HC next year?

And Stewart's first offensive coordinator with the Steelers was ___?

That's beside the point. People say (rightly or wrongly) that Chan should get canned for sticking with Fitz. Point is, Chan hitched his wagon to Fitz for 3 years. Cowher hitched his to Stewart for 6. Going to Cowher b/c your coach can't assess QB talent is like electing Bill Clinton b/c your Prez won't stop banging the interns.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's cut our losses and get Haslett, a guy who bleeds Buffalo, red white and blue, and can at the very least add some credibility. Chan is clueless and even worse he is guilty of hiring a guy in Wanny that he owes a favor. That alone is reason for firing him. Ralph do the right thing for once before you meet your maker.

Not a good idea, i like chan and it would'nt be smart to start over AGAIN, he'll turn us into contenders by next year if we can stay healthy.

I don't see how anyone who blames Chan for going with Fitz could, in the next breath, call for Bill Cowher.

Sure, Cowher wouldn't be the worst, but he gets a lot of credit that is better attributed to the organization. Steelers were good before & after him. And let us not forget, this is the guy who hitched his wagon to Kordell Frickin Stewart.

He had what should have been the perennial SB favorites except for his QB who got replaced by Tommy Maddux. And he stuck with the guy for six years.

If not for a solid organization with great players & solid DC I don't think Cowher goes down as anything special.

Cowher as noted was surrounded by a top notch FO. Plus, I believe he has made his position clear on Buffalo. His wife's passing aside I don't see him here and, he would want total control. That in itself Ralph would never allow.

That's beside the point. People say (rightly or wrongly) that Chan should get canned for sticking with Fitz. Point is, Chan hitched his wagon to Fitz for 3 years. Cowher hitched his to Stewart for 6. Going to Cowher b/c your coach can't assess QB talent is like electing Bill Clinton b/c your Prez won't stop banging the interns.

Then again, it isn't so neatly separable. Let's grant that Cowher was an idiot to stick with Stewart as his QB. Is it possible that Cowher did not do this purely based on the stupidity in his own head? Might he have been deceived by his coaching staff? Maybe even just a little?

The reality is that managers often have to rely on the opinions of their subordinates and make less than fully informed decisions. Now, Chan Gailey has had a history of sticking with a so-so QB, trying repeatedly to coach these guys up, as if there is some taboo in trying to raise the level of the competition at the position. So, if Chan gushed about how he thought Kordell was the next Elway, etc. it has to be allowed that this may have influenced a moron like Cowher (recall that was a given). B-)

Stick with Chan, give him a QB, he's made Fitzpatrick a average QB imagine what he could do with an average to good QB. On defense the 2nd half of the season we will see improvement, we need playmaking linebackers! Give Dave a zack Thomas like player and see the improvements next year.

Chip Kelly would be my vote. Not normally high on college coaches but what I've read and heard about Chip gas been impressive.

Second that motion and call for a vote. He wouldn't come cheap and turned down the Bucs. he is NFL ready, and has now proven he can also coach and build a defense. Besides his off the charts offenses. Buffalo would probably be his 32nd NFL choice but money can change that.

I'm in with Gailey. I think his biggest fault is having faith in bad players. If we had a descent deep ball in our arsenal, we would all love his play calling. He asks Fitz to do to much. Draft a strong arm, ballsy QB and our offense would be scary. Big TE, back field that can do anything, deep threat, and a guy who can get open on anybody. Get us a damn quarterback.

#1- chan is going nowhere......he's good thru 2013.

#2- in order for a "big name" coach to come in, buddy would have to go also, as that "big name" coach would want "final" personnel decisions......thats not happening anytime soon.

#3- i would think that Doug Whaley will take over for Nix as GM when buddy hangs it up. In that scenario, your not getting a so called big name coach. candidates like Perry Fewell are more likely.

I think Fewell might be the #1 Candidate should the Bills dump Gailey...Which I doubt they will...

But someone remind me...Why is Perry Fewell not the DC in Buffalo right now? How is that decision looking now? In hindsight I think Nix and Gailey would have (and should have) begged Fewell to stick around...It's not like anyone was going to give Perry a HC job...The Bills could have made him Asst HC at least...He's most definitely a solid up-and-coming Defensive Coach, and he was FAR more qualified than Edwards...I mean WAY more qualified...And we had him...Beautiful! B-)

Im a broken record: Marc Trestman

http://en.wikipedia....i/Marc_Trestman

I also trumpeted Trestman numerous times before the Bills settled on Gailey.

I think he has sterling credentials and is one of the elite offensive strategists and quarterback gurus.

The only thing about Trestman as I recall is that he's had a bit of a Lou Saban-like vagabondesque coaching career.

I also trumpeted Trestman numerous times before the Bills settled on Gailey.

I think he has sterling credentials and is one of the elite offensive strategists and quarterback gurus.

The only thing about Trestman as I recall is that he's had a bit of a Lou Saban-like vagabondesque coaching career.

Trestman is a very interesting candidate. I've been a staunch Chan supporter for much of his term here (although to say I was initially disappointed by the the hire a huge understatement) but I might sign up for a new HC next year if it's a guy like Marc Trestman, regardless of his wanderlust.

• 3 weeks later...

Again, a guy a few people here have touted over the last few years (as recently as before Gailey was hired).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marc_Trestman

The guy is a bit of a Sabanesque vagabond but a damn good football coach and a brilliant offensive mind.

He is very responsible for Rich Gannon's unprecedented late-career surge.

For those not familiar, you should read the Wiki entry. It's very interesting reading.

Bobby april (special teams coach philly )

John chavis (dc lsu)

Chip kelly (hc oregon)

Vic fangio (dc 49ers)

Rob marinelli (assist coach bears)

Mike zimmer (dc bengals)

John mitchell (assist hc/dc steelers)

John pagano (dc chargers)

Rob ryan (dc dallas)

Perry fewell (dc giants)

I'm intrigued by John Mitchell.

GO BILLS!!!

Again, a guy a few people here have touted over the last few years (as recently as before Gailey was hired).

http://en.wikipedia....i/Marc_Trestman

The guy is a bit of a Sabanesque vagabond but a damn good football coach and a brilliant offensive mind.

He is very responsible for Rich Gannon's unprecedented late-career surge.

For those not familiar, you should read the Wiki entry. It's very interesting reading.

I'm sold. How soon can Ralph get a Uhaul booked?

John chavis (dc lsu)

Chip kelly (hc oregon)

Vic fangio (dc 49ers)

Mike zimmer (dc bengals)

Rob ryan (dc dallas)

Perry fewell (dc giants)

You forgot one which i thought we should have given an interview but didn't Marc Trestman !!!!

He'd be a great one if that was the way we go !!!

You forgot one which i thought we should have given an interview but didn't Marc Trestman !!!!

He'd be a great one if that was the way we go !!!

If I'm not mistaken the Bills did contact him and he declined an interview ...as did so many before Gailey was hired. Trestman was doing his best Marv Levy intimation up in Canada winning Gray Cups. Gailey was like 15th on the list.

The one and ONLY guy I know who really wanted the job badly Ralph Wilson didn't feel "comfortable with" which was Marty Schottenhimer!! Buddy Nix was entertaining the thought of hiring him until RW said no as they were friends from both their days with the San Diego Chargers. The old stodge should have let Nix hire Marty, then hire Gailey as OC.

Holy cow, I can imagine the success the Bills would have had the last 3 years with a power running game, and stout defense. Schotty reminds me of Chuck Knox in that he knows how to run an entire team in every aspect. He knows talent, player personnel, he knows what assistants to hire. He knows how to build a team properly. Most of all he knows defense because he played LBer for the Bills as he was drafted by them in 1965, and came up thru the ranks as a LBer coach, DC.

I wonder if Wilson still doesn't feel "comforable" with Marty S.

His W/L record 203-127-1. Yeah his playoff record sucks at 6-13. But who really shivs a git at this point. It would be nice just to see the Bills field a competent, competitive team and just have a chance to sniff the playoffs or a winning season!.

A couple of coaches who didn't want to become a candidate for the job made no bones about the obstacles: They worry about the hire of a 70-year-old GM everyone thought was on the back nine of his career, Buddy Nix. They worry about owner Ralph Wilson's meddling. They worry about where the franchise might be in two years. They worry about luring free-agents to Buffalo. In short, it's a tough sell to attractive candidates. If Jim Harbaugh's going to have one good shot at an NFL job, why would he leave a place he loves, Stanford, for such an iffy venture in western New York? Ditto Brian Schottenheimer, Leslie Frazier and certainly Bill Cowher.

http://sportsillustr...lbag/index.html

Edited by Fear the Beard

If I'm looking for a new young head coach I'd certainly consider Broncos OC Mike McCoy. I look at what he was able to do with such a limited QB in Tim Tebow! They made the playoffs with Tebow and actually beat the Steelers in a playoff game. McCoy knew how best to utilize him. Now he has the legend Peyton Manning at QB and changed up the offense to suit him. Denver is 4-3. with Manning playing like his old self.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_19320216

If you want defensive side to fix the current defense, considering all the draft picks and money sent that way. Vic Fangio has been the 49ers DC the past two years, and they have been about the best defense in the NFL during that time

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/09/01/4779182/different-approach-gets-bang-up.html

John chavis (dc lsu)

Chip kelly (hc oregon)

Vic fangio (dc 49ers)

Mike zimmer (dc bengals)

Rob ryan (dc dallas)

Perry fewell (dc giants)

Bruce Arians, He did a great job in Pittsburgh and now taking over in Indy while Pagano is out is quite impressive.

I'll see your Romeo Crennel and raise you a Norv Turner.

Dave Wantstadt :w00t:

shoot he's already on the team.

Has any team ever fired their coach after winning the Super Bowl?

15-4

Go Bills !!

Senator, I didn't know you changed your name :devil:

If I'm not mistaken the Bills did contact him and he declined an interview ...as did so many before Gailey was hired. Trestman was doing his best Marv Levy intimation up in Canada winning Gray Cups. Gailey was like 15th on the list.

The one and ONLY guy I know who really wanted the job badly Ralph Wilson didn't feel "comfortable with" which was Marty Schottenhimer!! Buddy Nix was entertaining the thought of hiring him until RW said no as they were friends from both their days with the San Diego Chargers. The old stodge should have let Nix hire Marty, then hire Gailey as OC.

Holy cow, I can imagine the success the Bills would have had the last 3 years with a power running game, and stout defense. Schotty reminds me of Chuck Knox in that he knows how to run an entire team in every aspect. He knows talent, player personnel, he knows what assistants to hire. He knows how to build a team properly. Most of all he knows defense because he played LBer for the Bills as he was drafted by them in 1965, and came up thru the ranks as a LBer coach, DC.

I wonder if Wilson still doesn't feel "comforable" with Marty S.

His W/L record 203-27-1. Yeah his playoff record sucks at 6-13. But who really shivs a git at this point. It would be nice just to see the Bills field a competent, competitive team and just have a chance to sniff the playoffs or a winning season!.

A couple of coaches who didn't want to become a candidate for the job made no bones about the obstacles: They worry about the hire of a 70-year-old GM everyone thought was on the back nine of his career, Buddy Nix. They worry about owner Ralph Wilson's meddling. They worry about where the franchise might be in two years. They worry about luring free-agents to Buffalo. In short, it's a tough sell to attractive candidates. If Jim Harbaugh's going to have one good shot at an NFL job, why would he leave a place he loves, Stanford, for such an iffy venture in western New York? Ditto Brian Schottenheimer, Leslie Frazier and certainly Bill Cowher.

http://sportsillustr...lbag/index.html

We got Marrio and Anderson here so we can get guys here, coaches don't want to come here bc we don't have QB and still have mediocre Talent :wallbash: . I think getting a new GM along with DC could do this franchise Wonders (Polian come back, come back Bill come back :cry: )

I'm going to throw a dark-horse name out there:

Rich Bisaccia, San Diego's special teams coach

- Widely-respected throughout the league, and considered head coaching material a la John Harbaugh, who made the jump from ST coach to head coach.

- Has ties to Buddy Nix, as he spent many years in SD while Nix was there

Also, a few other names I haven't seen mentioned:

Gus Bradley, Seattle DC

Ray Horton, Arizona DC

Jay Gruden, Cincinnati OC

Mike McCoy, Denver OC

Any of the above would be fine.

At least 5 B list coaches turned down the Bills when they conducted their last HC search. 3 are now HC's (Jim Harbaugh, Rivera, Frazier) 1 is an OC (Brian Schottenheimer) and 1 remains an OL coach (Grimm). Credit the Bills for going after up and coming types. Discredit them for not having a reputation strong enough attract these guys to even interview.

Why would anything change 3 years later if Gailey is fired?

for the 3rd time(in diferent treads):Jim Tomsula DL coach SF 49ers,it was interim HC after Singlentary was fired,and i think he is the real reason in the succes of their defense.

And from the above names :Ray Horton,Chip Kelly(but i don´t think he leaves Oregon),and John Mitchel

Edited by bills chin

I'm intrigued by John Mitchell.

GO BILLS!!!

wasent joanie mitchell a singer?

There are other coaching candidates that are not on this list that should be:

Kyle Shanahan - Redskins OC - excelled in Texans role, doing well designing an offense around RGIII's talents

Mike McCoy - Broncos OC - OC there for the past four years, did great in his midseason revamping of Denvers offense to fit Tebow last year, offense can always run the football and now he has experience working with the most intelligent QB to ever play the game (manning, not Tebow)

Ray Horton - Cardinals DC - was working with the Steelers before getting the DC gig at Arizona...hes turned them into a solid defensive team despite deficencies at all levels on D...aggressive, when was the last time we had a proactive rather than reactive defense? Guy is apparently very well thought of and respected by players, coaches and management around the league

and maybe to a lesser extent, Brad Seely - 49ers ST coach - 25 years in the NFL, 10 under Bill Belichick in New England, so he has learned (how to cheat) from the best in the biz...hard nosed, tough guy (without the unliked "Brashness" of Rex Ryan). Stickler for details and responsibility...

if any of those guys could be conned into coming to Buffalo I would be THRILLED

At least 5 B list coaches turned down the Bills when they conducted their last HC search. 3 are now HC's (Jim Harbaugh, Rivera, Frazier) 1 is an OC (Brian Schottenheimer) and 1 remains an OL coach (Grimm). Credit the Bills for going after up and coming types. Discredit them for not having a reputation strong enough attract these guys to even interview.

Why would anything change 3 years later if Gailey is fired?

I think that by signing super Mario to a 100 million dollar deal showed the rest of the NFL that the Bills really do have a desire to win, even tho this entire franchise lacks the knowledge to actually do it.

Perhaps it might just take another boatload of dough to get the right guy. I'd still have Bill Cowher in my sights If I had any say. Super Mario 100 mil in 6 years and 50 mil of that guaranteed :doh: Cowher would have been cheaper.

The Bills still lack a top QB which might just prohibit BC from having any interest in Buffalo, unless they have a very good chance to draft one next year.

Ditka. I'm serious.

:lol: Ditka is a loon, traded his entire draft for a single player while he was with the Saints

Bruce Arians, He did a great job in Pittsburgh and now taking over in Indy while Pagano is out is quite impressive.

Dave Wantstadt :w00t:

shoot he's already on the team.

Senator, I didn't know you changed your name :devil:

We got Marrio and Anderson here so we can get guys here, coaches don't want to come here bc we don't have QB and still have mediocre Talent :wallbash: . I think getting a new GM along with DC could do this franchise Wonders (Polian come back, come back Bill come back :cry: )

Arians is the guy that comes to mind for me as well, since he is not only a logical candidate but even one who is a likely one. The way I see it, if Chan gets fired that probably means that Buddy is gone too, which put Whaley in the driver's seat. Arians and Whaley both have the Pittsburgh connection.

Arians is the guy that comes to mind for me as well, since he is not only a logical candidate but even one who is a likely one. The way I see it, if Chan gets fired that probably means that Buddy is gone too, which put Whaley in the driver's seat. Arians and Whaley both have the Pittsburgh connection.

Too bad Whaley cant bring the Pittsburg owners