Who will be HC next year?

Vic Fangio

is an American football coach. He is the current defensive coordinator of the San Francisco 49ers. Prior to being named the 49ers Defensive Coordinator, Fangio was defensive coordinator for the Stanford Cardinal, linebackers coach for the Baltimore Ravens and defensive coordinator for the Houston Texans, Indianapolis Colts, and Carolina Panthers.[1]

http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Vic_Fangio

Ya know BB you might have something here. Fangio steps in and that 49ers D goes #2 defense last year, and #4 so far this year

Dunno if he knows who to hire for his OC but looking at his record he should be one of the hottest HCing candidates next year

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i guess its up to me. well its time to throw my hat in, i am officially announcing my candidacy for hc of the bills. the best part is i will sign for cheap, which you know will help my case. i will have no problem throwing stuff during games (i do this already) and i will get in players faces and not hesitate to bench someone who isn't playing well. i would wear a hoody with apparently means you will win in the nfl.

I hope not Chan, anybody know how long his contract is for? He inherited a 6-10 team, then went 4-12 and 6-10 and now their 2-2 heading for San Fran. We go 7-9 I think hes gone, didnt know we had a 3 plan to improve 1 game. I defintely want somebody younger and a better motivator than the Chan and Jauron types.

Edited by billsfan714

Please forgive any speeling errors...

Chan Gailey

Jon Gruden

Jay Gruden

Brian Billick

Rex Ryan

Rob Ryan

Jim Tressel

Marty Schottenheimer

Tony Dungy

I did not include "the chin" because I don't see any possibility of him coming to Buffalo. He will be in Dallas next year.

Please add your nominee...

I will go on the record and say it will be Jay Gruden. His dad will not be lured away from TV and Cincinnati may be one of the few worse franchises to work for in the NFL.

None of those guys are coming to a franchise that is one stopped heartbeat from changing everything from ownership down to the waterboy. Would you take a job that you will lose the instant the guy running the company dies and that guy is 90-something...??? When 4 or 5 other similar jobs are available in places your wife, free agents and draft choices actually want to be long term?? We are stuck with Chix so get used to it. They are doing a good job. Wanny wouldn't have come anywhere near the B Lo unless as a favor to Chan. That is how bad it is . Until long term ownership is in place, dream on re: getting top top coaching/FO talent. Think about it people . This franchise is very unstable right now. No top guy is coming to it when alternatives exist. Period. I like what Chix are doing. They are almost competitive with the top teams. Give em a chance you dopes.

In the 2011 draft, the only QBs chosen in the first round after our pick were Locker (at 8), Gabbert 9 (at 10), and Ponder (at 12). I would rather have Dareus than Locker and Gabbert to this day and Ponder (certainly at the time and even today). As I mentioned above, I think that the Bills were hoping to get Ponder later.

True, but Andy Dalton was taken by the Bengals near the top of round 2, just after we selected a defensive back who has made zero impact. Also, I know this is sacrelige around here, but wouldn't we have been better off taking EJ Green with our first round pick that year? Dareus is a good player, but it's hard to say that he's had that much of an impact on our defense. In a passing league, the Bills would be a lot more difficult to defend with someone like Green lining up at WR along with Stevie.

Please forgive any speeling errors...

Chan Gailey

Jon Gruden

Jay Gruden

Brian Billick

Rex Ryan

Rob Ryan

Jim Tressel

Marty Schottenheimer

Tony Dungy

the issue with Gailey has been the defense.

Had they kept Fewell as the D-coordinator when Gailey came aboard they would have been farther along than they are now. Fewell actually had a pretty effective defense.

The issue with any new head coach will be who will run the defense---whomever needs to be a 4-3 guy.

old Gruden wouldnt......young would take the job.

Cowher would be a good choice but he wouldnt come here.

I dont like Dungy's cover 2 scheme.

rob ryan would take the job. he would love to face his brother...but the issue is then what about the offense?

A dark horse would be Billiick.

None of those guys are coming to a franchise that is one stopped heartbeat from changing everything from ownership down to the waterboy. Would you take a job that you will lose the instant the guy running the company dies and that guy is 90-something...??? When 4 or 5 other similar jobs are available in places your wife, free agents and draft choices actually want to be long term?? We are stuck with Chix so get used to it. They are doing a good job. Wanny wouldn't have come anywhere near the B Lo unless as a favor to Chan. That is how bad it is . Until long term ownership is in place, dream on re: getting top top coaching/FO talent. Think about it people . This franchise is very unstable right now. No top guy is coming to it when alternatives exist. Period. I like what Chix are doing. They are almost competitive with the top teams. Give em a chance you dopes.

Marty's last gig was last year as HC of the Virginia Destroyers in the UFL, he would jump at the Bills job. Edited by Rico

Did anyone (other than George Edwards) complain about hiring the Stache as DC at the time? It seemed like a good get and still may be.

As for a franchise QB, I am not sure who I would have picked at the time the Bills picked. Certainly, the "franchise" guys like Andrew Luck and RG III were long gone. I was and still am glad the Bills did not have the opportunity to pick Cam Newton. I also was very happy they did not pick Clausen (I recall people on this board going into convulsions when we did not pick him -- twice).

I think that the Bills really liked Christian Ponder and were prepared to pick him in the second round (or trade up into the first round) and were as surpised as anyone else that he was picked so early by the Vikings.

In the 2010 draft, the only QB chosen in the first round after our pick was Tim Tebow. I would rather have CJ.

In the 2011 draft, the only QBs chosen in the first round after our pick were Locker (at 8), Gabbert 9 (at 10), and Ponder (at 12). I would rather have Dareus than Locker and Gabbert to this day and Ponder (certainly at the time and even today). As I mentioned above, I think that the Bills were hoping to get Ponder later.

In the 2012 draft, the only QB chosen in the first round after our pick was Weeden at 22. Although I think he is decent, I hardly think he is a franchise QB or deserved to be taken where we picked Gilmore.

I do not think that Fitz is a "franchise" QB. He certainly has his limitations. Nevertheless, given where we picked and the players we got in the first rounds these past three years, I would rather have the players we chose and Fitz rather than the question marks at QB that were taken after us in the first round.

Just my two cents.

I did. He is and has always been over-rated. He has done nothing but be mediocre. He must be capable to at least get rehired. The worst part of it is that his record as a HC is probably better than Gailey's, Jauron's, Mularkey's, and Williams.

He seems so unimaginative. They don't have the athletes to just line up and beat other teams. Does any team have the athletes to play this bland of a defense? I'm sure there is more that we don't see but Chan said they played eight in the box a times. But counting Justin Rogers as one of the eight is a joke. Eight in the box is 4 DL, 3 LB's, and a SS not 4 DL, 1 LB, 1 Nickel LB, and two DB's.

Chan Gailey for sure. He has 3 built in excuses: 1) Nix agreed with and approved Stache. 2) Nix agreed that Fitz was worth the big contract and was "the man". That alone should get them both fired in my opinion, but I digress. 3) Nix did almost nothing this offseason to bolster the offense. Nix can't fire Gailey without looking inept himself, therefore Gailey stays and Stache becomes the sacrificial lamb if the season continues on it's current path.

I disagree.

There's a saying that applies here: "give him enough rope to hang himself with." That's a cynical way of saying some of what you're describing (coaching hires… decision to start with a 3-4 defense, etc). A more idealistic take would be that Nix gave Gailey lots of latitude on decision making and Gailey made bad decisions. It seems Nix could be blamed for any perceived player personnel decisions but coaching staff and strategy all fall on Gailey.

i said it then and i'll say it again: i actually think Edwards did a solid job as an interim coach considering the stinking pile of dog doodoo he inherited. i'd rather go with an aggressive, young coach who really hasn't made a name for himself yet as opposed to some old has been. this team needs a fire under their butts.

I must be brain farting… Edwards who?

I am surprised that they have not extended Chan Gailey's contract

No. The Bills won't extend him until there's 3 months of rampant speculation about a contract extension accompanied by a long losing streak.

i'm not completely giving up on Gailey yet..we'll see how the season goes. but, i like your idea about rob ryan. i think he may be too much of a personality for ralphy...might give the old man a heart attack.

I don't think Ralph is really making any major decisions anymore. Could be wrong but that's my gut feeling. Anyways it's probably a moot point as the franchise is hanging in limbo right now and there won't be any hiring/firing till the season ends, IMO.

Back to Gailey/Nix… I've said before that I could see a scenario where Nix/Whaley are retained and Gailey is let go. It's my impression that General Managers are very often forgiven their first Head Coaching hire… more often than not.

I say go after Todd Bowles, who is now coaching dbs in Philadelphia. He's got the experience, smarts and leadership qualities to be great NFL coach. No more retreads and no big egos please.

Gailey's not a big ego… Jauron wasn't a big ego. Neither was Mularkey. The only egotistical coach of recent history I recall the Bills hiring was Greg(g) Williams.

Hire Bill Polian as a consultant to bring in a real coach and GM. Chan is an O Cordinator and pretty decent one. He has run the best offense we have seen in years. Our QB is garbage though and will ultimately drag Chan down and out of a job...and Defense has issues but there are some bright spots. We are a more attractive team to coach now than when Chan was hired...Someone solid would love the job. We just need a QB, Coaching Staff and linebackers....

Previous to hiring Nix and Gailey I made the case numerous times that the team should have hired an outside consultant on a one-time, short-term basis to hire the GM. The names I specifically mentioned were Ron Wolf, Floyd Reese, and Charlie Casserly. After the hirings, Wilson commented publicly that the Bills didn't really know too many NFL people. So WTF didn't they hire someone who did to help with the process?

I think it's a really great idea if we fire everyone in the organization every 3 years and start from scratch. Seems to have really worked well for us over the last decade.

You always have to ask the question, "is this program moving in the right direction?" If the answer is no, then there's no point in belaboring the mistake.

I wish we could bring in a bright defensive coach and keep Chan as OC. I wonder if he would go for that? The only condition would be that we tell Chan, "hey buddy, Fitz isn't as good as you think he is. You have a huge ftreaking blind spot here. We're cutting his a** and bringing in a real prospect. Now go run the "O"! haha.

I think I saw some people saying, "bring in a defensive guy" which I just did but I put a qualifier in there. If we don't retain the offense then it will likely tank under the new defensive head coach. The pendulum will just swing back to the freaking Jauron era.

I want Wade back! He would come I bet despite tensions with Ralph!

I think we'll have to settle for minor tweaks at this point. I think it might be a really good idea for Gailey to hand the offensive reigns to Curtis Modkins and give him a chance at some game planning and playcalling.

Then Gailey could spend a bit more time overseeing the defensive side which is much worse shape than the offense.

As for a franchise QB, I am not sure who I would have picked at the time the Bills picked. Certainly, the "franchise" guys like Andrew Luck and RG III were long gone. I was and still am glad the Bills did not have the opportunity to pick Cam Newton. I also was very happy they did not pick Clausen (I recall people on this board going into convulsions when we did not pick him -- twice).

I think that the Bills really liked Christian Ponder and were prepared to pick him in the second round (or trade up into the first round) and were as surpised as anyone else that he was picked so early by the Vikings.

In the 2010 draft, the only QB chosen in the first round after our pick was Tim Tebow. I would rather have CJ.

In the 2012 draft, the only QB chosen in the first round after our pick was Weeden at 22. Although I think he is decent, I hardly think he is a franchise QB or deserved to be taken where we picked Gilmore.

I do not think that Fitz is a "franchise" QB. He certainly has his limitations. Nevertheless, given where we picked and the players we got in the first rounds these past three years, I would rather have the players we chose and Fitz rather than the question marks at QB that were taken after us in the first round.

Just my two cents.

Good post but you didn't touch on Andy Dalton who the Bills coached in the Senior Bowl but passed over for Aaron Williams… or Kirk Cousins. Any thoughts on these two?

Chip Kelly. You know the guy that just torched Mike leach.

Considering that Kelly is established and Leach is in his first year of the program, is this really a fair statement?

I think the answer is no.