QB Coach Lee: I'm going with the expert.

Let's see...38 years coaching experience, has worked with Romo and E. Manning, and from Wawrow's article:

"To Lee, Fitzpatrick has all the tools - confidence, toughness, mobility and plenty of arm strength [emphasis mine]- to succeed at this level. It's just a matter of smoothing out the rough edges."

With all due respect to the insightful posters on this board who have questioned Fitz's skills and have called him a "backup at best," I'm going to go with the expert on this one. I am not slamming your opinions, just suggesting that there's a chance that this guy can "smooth out the rough edges" and get Fitz to the next level.

Maybe I've had too much of the Kool-Aid.

Edited by Rivermont Mike

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone who knows football should know that Fitzy is the type of qb you want on your team. He played with broken ribs and still took shot after shot and got right back up. That is a man, a leader, a quarterback. Men will follow him into battle and he is a huge part of this team both on the game field and off.

All others, don't you get tired of finding something to hate with your "favorite" team?

Anyone who knows football should know that Fitzy is the type of qb you want on your team. He played with broken ribs and still took shot after shot and got right back up. That is a man, a leader, a quarterback. Men will follow him into battle and he is a huge part of this team both on the game field and off.

All others, don't you get tired of finding something to hate with your "favorite" team?

This.

I've never questioned Fitz's arm strength. I've seen him sling it around just fine. With better mechanics he could be a very good QB

+1

What else is Lee going to say?

Fitz can obviously use some adjustments but anyone expecting dramatic changes is kidding themselves

The key is making their best players on offense the focal point and that's Fred and CJ instead of a pass heavy offense with an average QB throwing to a below average receiving group

Edited by Max997

"he's not good enough"

Is that what anyone expected?

"I can't help him"

Is that how he got the job?

People need to chill on every single sound bite.

I remember when two weeks ago lee was just a bum that could only run the wildcat and we shouldnt have hired him.

Truth is, fitz is good enough to win some games- how many is debatable. Personally I think his ceiling is lower than the elite qbs but his floor is higher then just about any replacement option. It can be a gift and a curse. Hopefully he can work some issues out and get better.

Fitz can obviously use some adjustments but anyone expecting dramatic changes is kidding themselves

The key is making their best players on offense the focal point and that's Fred and CJ instead of a pass heavy offense with an average QB throwing to a below average receiving group

In response to this: I agree, if the Buffalo Bills defense is as good as we hope it will be this year (I think it will be very good) it will allow Buffalo to play with patience, and it will allow Buffalo to control the tempo of games. I would say then, that Freddy and C.J. are too good, and our O-line is too good, and those RB's average too much NOT to use them as long as they continue with that success.

HOWEVER - I see a Bills defense that will get after QB's perhaps, by season's end, better than any team in the NFL, and our secondary is going to be creating turnovers. The best compliment to this type of defense is an offense that can get ahead by a few scores. If we can force a team into having to pass while maintaining a comfortable lead, we'll be able to play that type of game. But a team with a good defense going against Buffalo, with a good, hard nosed running game might also pose problems for us if we can't get that lead.

So - I say we have weapons in the passing game. I like our young recievers. I also think (and here disagree again) that Fitzpatrick is one of the best QB's in the league at reading defenses and running a gameplan. He's brave enough to hold up to pressure. IF Lee can fix his accuracy issues, the Bills offense could be good enough in both phases to create a perfect match-up nightmare for opposing teams. They commit to stopping one phase, we attack vigorously with the other. A consistent Fitz, with everything else we have right now, could be a top 8 QB in the NFL.

Eli Manning got better after working with Lee, to the point where he is now one of the best QB's in the league. After working with Lee Romo became a star. Pennington had an elite year after working with Lee. Fitz has more intelligence than these guys. He has guts. We've seen him throw very good at times. If that guy can be prolonged to 80 percent of a game, instead of the 50-60 percent we're used to, Buffalo's offense and defense might be top 5 in the league.

Edited by sllib olaffub

When he shows me this alleged arm strength in games, I will drink the kool aid. Until then, I will remain somewhat skeptical.

Fitz doesn't throw downfield much, but whenever someone questions his arm strength, I think of the pass that Stevie dropped against Pittsburgh. I am not trying to bash Stevie when I reference this play, because I really like him, but instead I'm remembering the perfect pass that Fitz threw exactly on the money that travelED 50 yards in the air. It showed nice touch and arm strength, and though it wasn't always there last season, I think he can do it with a little critiquing!!

GO FITZ, and GO BILLS!!!!!

Let's see...38 years coaching experience, has worked with Romo and E. Manning, and from Wawrow's article:

"To Lee, Fitzpatrick has all the tools - confidence, toughness, mobility and plenty of arm strength [emphasis mine]- to succeed at this level. It's just a matter of smoothing out the rough edges."

With all due respect to the insightful posters on this board who have questioned Fitz's skills and have called him a "backup at best," I'm going to go with the expert on this one. I am not slamming your opinions, just suggesting that there's a chance that this guy can "smooth out the rough edges" and get Fitz to the next level.

All this proves is that his critics were RIGHT. He had issues with accuracy due to bad mechanics. So what's your point other than to say the critics were correct in criticizing his flaws? Everyone likes him, but his poor mechanics led to a level of inconsistency that wasn't good enough. If someone can fix those problems then fantastic! But pretty silly to slam others for questioning his on field performance when the very expert you are praising flat out says he had mechanical flaws. I seriously doubt any fan will have an issue if he turns it around ON THE FIELD cuz everyone pretty much likes him otherwise.

However, turning what he is learning this late in his career into muscle memory before the season begins is a very difficult task. It's MUCH easier to do it in practice than in the game because of how fast the game is played at this level. They not only have to teach him the corrections, but they have to convert to muscle memory otherwise it won't be something he can consistently do when bodies are flying around on Sunday's.

I really hope he does, because if he does stabilize his game, then this team coupled with our defenses potential can be a seriously dangerous team this year. Glad to see the coach thinks highly of him though, then again he would probably say the same thing even if he didn't believe it. So I still need to see it on the field in game action before I am sold in him as a long term answer.

Fitz doesn't throw downfield much, but whenever someone questions his arm strength, I think of the pass that Stevie dropped against Pittsburgh. I am not trying to bash Stevie when I reference this play, because I really like him, but instead I'm remembering the perfect pass that Fitz threw exactly on the money that travelED 50 yards in the air. It showed nice touch and arm strength, and though it wasn't always there last season, I think he can do it with a little critiquing!!

I've put a 300 yard drive in the fairway, but I can't do it very often. Having done something and doing it regularly is a big gap. It keeps me going back to the course for another round though.... On the brightside fitz is a lot more likely than I am to figure it out.

They're working this angle hard. Truth is fitz never had poor mechanics.

You need to watch more closely. Not just Fitz, all QBs. Stop following the ball and look at their feet and legs in relation to their upper bodies. Watch where they start their windups. See if they lower their arms a tad before releasing. Fitz has had poor mechanics for as long as I've seen him play.

He's got more than a strong enough arm, though.

GO BILLS!!!

Hey, I hope you're right. But for every pass to Stevie in the Steelers game, there's two INTs in the Giants game (before any injury).

Very little chance Fitz ever gets better, has not been a top 20 guy, he could max out around 15, just not good enough.

Except the facts that last year Fitz was top 10 in yards and TDs and top 15 in rating I believe. So your already incorrect. So if he was top 15 already and you thought he was top 20 with only the possibility of making the top 15, by your logic he should be able to make top 10. Speaking of not good enough, he had just as many yards and almost as many TDs as Jim Kelly EVER threw for. How do you feel about Jim Kelly???

Unfortunately, And I think this is teachable, Fitz led the league in interceptions with 24.

Fortunately, with more experience, training, wr help and experience, lees assistance he should be able to lower that number.

Looking at Fitz high amount of ints males me think of 2-3 years ago when Eli Manning led the league in ints and people were claiming he wasn't a real quality starting qb. In fact, (i don't remember the year) but Eli had almost an identical year that Fitz had last year. Not quite sure if Lee was with him before or after, but Eli made huge strides and I don't think it's impossible to think Fitz can do the same.

I want Fitzy to succeed as much as anyone, but that hot and cold crap he pulled last season just isn't going to cut it. I know, we had tons of injuries. That's fine. He's got the confidence of Chan and the coaching staff, and I'm sure that all of Bills Nation is behind him going into the season. But dammit man, we've got some TALENT on this team now and we can't have the QB being so bipolar. Hopefully Coach Lee can tweak him enough to do what he says and Fitzy will end up solidifying himself as our starter.

Training camp is next month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't know why this is still a debate. Fitz has admitted himself he had poor mechanics, but focused on the mental part of the game as the best way he could put the team in a position to win. He has embraced Lee's coaching and acknowledged he's already seeing the results in his accuracy.

For guys like paintmyhouse who clearly have an axe to grind...we know how you feel, fine. No need to interject "he sucks" into every Fitz thread. We get it.

For fans looking/hoping for more consistency out of the QB position -- how can what has happened be anything but a positive?

+1

"he's not good enough"

Is that what anyone expected?

"I can't help him"

Is that how he got the job?

People need to chill on every single sound bite.

I remember when two weeks ago lee was just a bum that could only run the wildcat and we shouldnt have hired him.

Truth is, fitz is good enough to win some games- how many is debatable. Personally I think his ceiling is lower than the elite qbs but his floor is higher then just about any replacement option. It can be a gift and a curse. Hopefully he can work some issues out and get better.

Perfectly said.

There is a paradox, don't you think? A certain claque of posters here diss off Fitz totally as "noodle-armed" and "inaccurate". Bills coaches such as Chan Gailey and Lee say he has accuracy and sufficient arm strength. Chan and Nix, at least, aren't just blowing smoke because they put the Bills $$ where their words are. Maybe they're seeing something the TBD claque does not, and not totally indulging in a PR game?

I think anyone expecting Fitz to turn into Kurt Warner, Aaron Rodgers, or Drew Brees is kidding themselves. A few more completions a game (and a few less interceptions) would take him from an average QB to an above average QB - maybe not a top 5 QB but a top 10 QB or just below that - so if there's a pattern of certain throws he consistently misses and he can add those to his plate, it would be a significant improvement that should translate to more third down conversions and more offensive production.

It's been a consistent theme here with some of us to feel that the Bills offense was too pass heavy last year, and would benefit from (again) a few more running plays. One reasonable response has been that our OL (esp after injuries) was not stout enough for a power-run game, we had to pass to set up the run. I don't entirely buy that - when you're going with 4-5 WR and an empty backfield, it's pretty clear that you're trying to pass to set up the pass :angry:. In any event, here's hoping that a stouter, more experienced Bills line can manage to run the ball even when the passing game ain't clickin'

Edited by Hopeful

Well as a coach for the Bills that would seem a better thing to say to the press than for example "man, he has the toughness and arm strength of a 5 year old girl". Not saying he doesn't mean it because I do not know the man. But come one, what did you expect him to say?

In any event, I never thought it was an arm strength issue. In my opinion it is his 3/4 semi-sidearm throwing motion that causes the problems. If they can resolve that this late in his career then wonderful. If not then Fitz is what he is in terms of passing capabilities.

Bottom line like others have said, anything that helps Fitz improve his passing can't be anything but a good thing.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Except the facts that last year Fitz was top 10 in yards and TDs and top 15 in rating I believe. So your already incorrect. So if he was top 15 already and you thought he was top 20 with only the possibility of making the top 15, by your logic he should be able to make top 10. Speaking of not good enough, he had just as many yards and almost as many TDs as Jim Kelly EVER threw for. How do you feel about Jim Kelly???

Unfortunately, And I think this is teachable, Fitz led the league in interceptions with 24.

Fortunately, with more experience, training, wr help and experience, lees assistance he should be able to lower that number.

Looking at Fitz high amount of ints males me think of 2-3 years ago when Eli Manning led the league in ints and people were claiming he wasn't a real quality starting qb. In fact, (i don't remember the year) but Eli had almost an identical year that Fitz had last year. Not quite sure if Lee was with him before or after, but Eli made huge strides and I don't think it's impossible to think Fitz can do the same.

People are just going with what they've seen so far with Fitz. He's never been a top 10 QB, he's never been a winner and he's always thrown a lot of INTs. That doesn't mean he cant change, but you can't knock fans for needing to see it, to believe it.

There's a psychological phenomenon known as "the Pygmalion effect" which observes that people tend to perform the way their leaders/parents/teachers expect them to perform. People treated like winners tend to win. People treated like losers tend to lose.

While Coach Lee may or may not know the term "Pygmalion effect" - I'm sure he knows the concept. Most good leaders and coaches do.

So of course Lee's not going to say, "Fitz lacks the tools to succeed at this level." Bill Parcells notwithstanding, most good coaches will talk up the potential of their players to boost their self-confidence and self-esteem so the players work hard to live up to the perceived potential.

I like Fitz and believe he can lead us to the playoffs. But I take the praise of coaches with a grain of salt.

There's a psychological phenomenon known as "the Pygmalion effect" which observes that people tend to perform the way their leaders/parents/teachers expect them to perform. People treated like winners tend to win. People treated like losers tend to lose.

While Coach Lee may or may not know the term "Pygmalion effect" - I'm sure he knows the concept. Most good leaders and coaches do.

So of course Lee's not going to say, "Fitz lacks the tools to succeed at this level." Bill Parcells notwithstanding, most good coaches will talk up the potential of their players to boost their self-confidence and self-esteem so the players work hard to live up to the perceived potential.

I like Fitz and believe he can lead us to the playoffs. But I take the praise of coaches with a grain of salt.

Why do people believe it has to be one extreme or the other? I consistently hear coaches talk about the strengths and weaknesses of players, including commenting on what they need to do to improve. Gailey, in particular, has not been shy to say what's on his mind (did anyone hear/read his comments about Merriman this week?). I have no reason to believe the comments by Gailey and Lee about Fitz are anything less than genuine. Did Lee have any particular incentive to volunteer that Fitz is better at looking off defenders than any QB he has seen? That's not something HE coached or can take credit for.

CLEARLY, the Bills like Fitz. They want him to succeed, they think he can succeed, and they're giving him the coaching and tools to help him succeed.

Again, I really don't understand the debate here. I posted in a different thread that there are three different types of fans when it comes to Fitz, and I don't see any of the three changing their minds until the season plays itself out.

Fitz was 22nd in QB rating, just behind Tarvasis Jackson, Kevin Kolb, Matt Hassleback, and way behind Matt Moore. 2010 Fitz was also 22nd. 2009 Fitz was 26th. 2008 Fitz was 31st, he qualified for passing stats the last 4 seasons. He flat out has sucked, and is no where near Eli Manning, who is stone cold clutch.

You fail comparing Fitz to Kelly, you can only compare Fitz and his numbers against his contemporaries, that is all that makes sense.

Fitz was 22nd in QB rating, just behind Tarvasis Jackson, Kevin Kolb, Matt Hassleback, and way behind Matt Moore. 2010 Fitz was also 22nd. 2009 Fitz was 26th. 2008 Fitz was 31st, he qualified for passing stats the last 4 seasons. He flat out has sucked, and is no where near Eli Manning, who is stone cold clutch.

You fail comparing Fitz to Kelly, you can only compare Fitz and his numbers against his contemporaries, that is all that makes sense.

Nice cherry picking. Too bad Fitz is the starter anyway. Looks like you'll have to root for another team. Buh-bye.

PTR

Boom.

Hey, I hope you're right. But for every pass to Stevie in the Steelers game, there's two INTs in the Giants game (before any injury).

While I agree with this, if my memory serves me, both of those throws against the Giants were down the left sideline. Coach Lee has already identified the flaw in Fitz’s mechanics when throwing to the left. Now the million dollar question that none of us can answer is whether or not Fitz can consistently follow the revised mechanics or get that muscle memory to alleviate those bad throws. If he can, I can see him being on par with some of what many consider the top 10 QBs in the league. The toughness, short memory and ability to be a leader of men are some of the intangibles he has that you just can’t teach. We haven’t seen that combo since Kelly. Compared to Trentative Edwards and JP “help me I’m” Lostman, he’s a breath of fresh air but I guess compared to those guys, a fart would be too!!

I also cut him just a little bit of slack (and I mean a little) on how many INTs he threw last year. I know that a bunch of them were bad throws but in some of those cases, we were so far behind he was just chucking it around trying to make something happen and they had no bearing on the outcome of the game, maybe just made the score more lopsided.

If Chan calls a more balanced game and runs the ball just as much or more than we throw it, I believe that Fitz can take us where we want to go. :thumbsup:

Very little chance Fitz ever gets better, has not been a top 20 guy, he could max out around 15, just not good enough.

By what metric has he never been a top 20 qb? Most assessments I saw of him last year had him consistently around 15th or 16th.

Quite a few of those interceptions came when the Bills were trailing, usually late. If the D is anywhere near as good as we think it will be, that shouldn't be the case this year. If the Bills aren't playing from behind, then they can run the ball more often, or mix it up more. The opponent won't be able to sit on the pass play knowing the Bills have to chuck it.