RD 1, Pick #10: DB Stephon Gilmore - South Carolina

SDS

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

This is an excellent pick, I had Kirkpatrick mocked to the Bills, but in my defense that was 3 weeks ago.

If you don't think CB was a huge need for this team, maybe you should step back and reassess exactly how much you know about football vs. how much you think you know about football. I've even heard someone in this thread call CB a "non-impact" position. LOL.

Here's some food for thought, after QB and pass rusher, CB is the hardest position to fill. We all know the league has shifted to the pass, and nowadays above average CBs like Carr and Finnegan command $50M+ contracts. Our D may look good in the base formation against a base offense, but bring in N.E. and their 4 and 5 WR/TE sets - and all of a sudden it looks like a train wreck.

Yes we need a left tackle, there was one worth taking in the first round and his name was Kalil. That's the reason they are all still on the board (and no, Reiff is not a LT).

Sure we could use a WR, but this year's class is very deep, and there are some amazing players left on the board.

And for those of you out on the ledge - great news! Nix has said he wants to add two CBs, so when we take another one in round 4, you can finally jump.

Great post.

This is an excellent pick, I had Kirkpatrick mocked to the Bills, but in my defense that was 3 weeks ago.

If you don't think CB was a huge need for this team, maybe you should step back and reassess exactly how much you know about football vs. how much you think you know about football. I've even heard someone in this thread call CB a "non-impact" position. LOL.

Here's some food for thought, after QB and pass rusher, CB is the hardest position to fill. We all know the league has shifted to the pass, and nowadays above average CBs like Carr and Finnegan command $50M+ contracts. Our D may look good in the base formation against a base offense, but bring in N.E. and their 4 and 5 WR/TE sets - and all of a sudden it looks like a train wreck.

Yes we need a left tackle, there was one worth taking in the first round and his name was Kalil. That's the reason they are all still on the board (and no, Reiff is not a LT).

Sure we could use a WR, but this year's class is very deep, and there are some amazing players left on the board.

And for those of you out on the ledge - great news! Nix has said he wants to add two CBs, so when we take another one in round 4, you can finally jump.

Anyone that would call him a booze hound. Totally lame and you know it. He was a typical college kid and messed up by driving while drinking. That idiot Howard Simon said on the air that Floyd was questionable because of his THREE DUIs. Total bull ****. He had ONE DUI and did get caught at two underage parties over the course of a couple years. Hell of a difference...get it right, ND haters.

Gonna resort to being a dick?? Hurt my Feelings?? No. Where the fvck are you coming from, big guy??

You need to chill ASAP.

Easley was ripping it up until the mystery illness. If he is 100% we rock with Easley

Really hoping for big things from him. I don't think that this means the Bills are not going to get some talent at WR in this draft though.

Stevie Johnson will continue to be triple teamed. Would have loved Floyd.

Don't fret, plenty of quality WRs to grab at 41 or 71. As Buddy noted, this draft is deep at WR. We can get a higher quality WR later than we could have gotten a higher quality CB. Though not the sexy pick we all would have loved, this was a smart pick.

I like the pick - I think we got good value, and at a position of need too.

The one thing that concerns me is that during Chan's presser after the pick, I had a flashback moment when he said "I don't think you can ever have enough good corners in the NFL." Reminded me of the Jauronian days.

I seriously wonder if he may not figure out a way to get out of the Bills. Even CFL. What A look of misery.

I too thought it was weird that the guy did not show any emotion. However, please read the first post in this thread where a Gamecock fan says that in 4 years, Gilmore has rarely if ever displayed any emotion including a smile:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/145142-hey-guys-gamecock-fan-here/

There, now I can sleep well. Good night guys, tomorrow evening will be even more fun as I am expecting the FO to start loading up on Offense.

Martin....really. Is that why Martin is still on the board??

Seriously. For all the people that wanted Martin in the first, what would they say if he were drafted by us in the 2nd? I doubt he will be there, but if they draft the way they did last year, we will get more good players. Lots of talent still out there

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

I laughed at this pick just like when the Bills selected Spiller. Just when the Bills make a good move signing Mario Williams, they lose the chance to take another big step forward. CB's don't win games. I get that Kalil and Keuchly were gone but how about a guy who can make plays like like Floyd or someone to help in pass protection and the running game like Reiff. Gilmore may be a solid player but get me someone who has more of an impact on the game. This is just stupid.

:thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

TI am so sick and tired of reading ignorant posts from ignorant "fans" on this board!! There are far too many people here who make it seem like they know what is the best way to put together a winning team. How many times does Buddy have to say that he likes Hairston at LT? Reiff is an RT at best, and may not even end up being that for the Lions in a few years. Hell the Lions only took him because he dropped to 23. And he dropped for a reason...he will never be even adequate at LT in the NFL. Secondly, Buddy wants high character, good football players. Floyd has off field issues, which shows that football does not mean enough to him. If it did, he would concentrate on football and get his act together. Now on to Gilmore. CB was clearly a need for this team for the aforementioned reasons. Did anyone hear Gilmore's interview with the Buffalo media? He said something to the effect of "football is my life". This guy eats, sleeps and breathes football. He's fast, big, physical, athletic, and agile. Great pick by Buddy, who like previous posters said, telegraphed the Gilmore pick. Buddy is clearly fixing one side of the ball. I am sure that even before hiring Wanny at DC, he agreed with Chan tht the defense was the weakest unit on the team, and therefore the unit that needed to be addressed. Thus far, he has succeeded immensely in doing just that. Buddy has enough faith in his offense (with a receiver added in rounds 2 or 3) that he doesnt feel the need to upgrade yet. So trust him. He has done the defense wonders, and will do the same with the offense if/when he sees fit. He knows what he is doing, or at least knows what he is doing a hell of a lot more than the naysayers posting on TSW.

Why do the Bills continuously have hard ons for DBs that are a dime a dozen? Take two steps forward with Williams and Anderson and five steps back with a wasted draft pick. This team just doesn't get it. This team needs offensive weapons for the noodle armed QB it has, but hey, let's draft defense so we don't have to rely on scoring points. :wallbash:

Why do the Bills continuously have hard ons for DBs that are a dime a dozen? Take two steps forward with Williams and Anderson and five steps back with a wasted draft pick. This team just doesn't get it. This team needs offensive weapons for the noodle armed QB it has, but hey, let's draft defense so we don't have to rely on scoring points. :wallbash:

Stop comparing Gilmore to McKelvin and Whitner, it just doesn't make sense...SEC vs. Troy's conference, and 4 years of good production vs. 1 year of production out of Whitner. Not to mention that McKelvin and Gilmore are completely different corners. So we should've gone with Floyd? Ok I wouldn't have minded that, but I'd rather see Buddy continue his current plan of strengthening one side of the ball rather than try to patch holes. We can get a guy in Jeffrey, Quick or maybe even Hill that will produce just as much as Floyd will. And with the same size/speed too, minus the character issues.

My only problem with them drafting corners high is that they always let them go in FA. This front office has been focused on keeping its own. If hes as good as advertised how is this a waste? Teams are in nickle and dime more than ever. CBs are more important than ever. We just got a good one.

Eleven pages in and you're the first one to mention the traditional problem with the Bills taking first round DBs. In the past, they'd generally let them go first-contract-and out. If Gilmore plays the way you'd expect a CB drafted 10th overall to play, and if he doesn't go first-contract-and-out, this is a good pick.

gilmore is an excellent tackler yes but can he shut down an NFL WR? I don't think so.. watch some game tape of him on youtube, he gets beat deep quite often, doesnt get interceptions and has bad ball skills, he has the size an speed but thats about it, imo it was a reach at 10. I know im on the floyd bandwagon but he could of helped out or offense alot more than gilmore will with our D. Floyd is the perfect fit for fitz who throws wild balls all the time, also it would of free'd up stevie. Im not confident randle or hill or jeffery will be there when we pick in the 2nd. So wheres our true no2 WR? i know no one is counting on easley not only to be healthy but actually come in for the first time and be a game changer.. i just dont see it. Blown pick IMO

Yah, I also believe that Buddy d#cked the dog on this one. -Don't get me wrong, Gilmore has talent. But taking him tenth overall? How much impact can a rookie corner have on a 6-12 team with one of the worst rated D's last year? Keuchly would have been a much bolder statement. I wasn't really a big Kuechly supporter, but seeing as how both him AND Floyd were just one pick away, I question the wisdom of taking a corner that high.

Edited by #34fan

Do you believe that Gilmore, specifically, is a dime a dozen DB, or do you think any DB pick is a dime a dozen? I can respect the first view but the second is absolutely ridiculous.

Yah, I also believe that Buddy d#cked the dog on this one. -Don't get me wrong, Gilmore has talent. But taking him tenth overall? How much impact can a rookie corner have on a 6-12 team with one of the worst rated D's last year? Keuchly would have been a much bolder statement. I wasn't really a big Kuechly supporter, but seeing as how both him AND Floyd were just one pick away, I question the wisdom of taking a corner that high.

I don't follow your reasoning. The Bills defense was bad last year (and I would say noticeably bad in the secondary, along with the pass rush, which was addressed in FA) so you don't see how a talented player at a key position will help? And... the Bills should've taken Kuechly, who was taken before the Bills picked?

Hate on the pick all you want, amateurs. Gilmore was the best available and you dinosaurs that say only linemen and QBs should be drafted in the first round, grow up. In case you've been asleep the past 7 years or so, they throw the ball a lot now.

The Bills fans who are complaining about them drafting Stephon Gilmore are just plain stupid. They obviously haven't seen enough of chumps like Tarvaris Jackson and Matt Moore lighting up our secondary over the last couple of years. They filled a glaring hole on defense and fans can still find a way to feel disappointed they didn't draft a time bomb like Michael "One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer" Floyd. There's a reason why they're called red flags. The Bills were LUCKY to still be in a position to draft a guy with Gilmore's rare size, speed and cover abilities.

After getting Stephon Gilmore and seeing what's still left on the board, this draft is shaping up to be one of this teams best ever. I'm embarrassed at some of the reactions here.

Can anyone tell me what happens to the defensive secondary when a team has a bad defense with virtually no pass rush all game long?

Was this position that great a need when the team took DB Aaron Williams with a #2 last year?

Anyway, Mike Mayock did have the kid ranked as his #8 out of his top 100 players. So lets see what happens the next few days

Can anyone tell me what happens to the defensive secondary when a team has a bad defense with virtually no pass rush all game long?

Was this position that great a need when the team took DB Aaron Williams with a #2 last year?

McGee - major injury concerns and on the wrong side of 30

Florence - on the wrong side of 30

McKelvin - hasn't developed into the CB the Bills would like

Williams - had an OK rookie season

Rodgers - great on ST, didn't see the field much

in short, YES, this was a position of need.

Anyway, Mike Mayock did have the kid ranked as his #8 out of his top 100 players. So lets see what happens the next few days

Edited by Wayne Cubed

Everyone defending the pick keeps mentioning how much they throw the ball in today's NFL and you need to stop the pass.

My problem with that line of thought? The Bills themselves have no one other than Stevie to throw it to. There was a potentially elite WR sitting there and we passed. I really think IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO WIN THIS YEAR AND NOT CONTINUING THE NEVER-ENDING REBUILD that wide receiver was a much bigger need. We have talent at CB. Sure its aging talent, but its more than at WR. But I'm just whining right? We will get someone from UB in the 7th that will solve all of our WR issues.

Edited by stevestojan

I am usually first in line to bash the braintrust around here but I like the pick. And I don't get the mckelvin comparisons...just because he also plays corner? He sounds smarter and looks like a better player already so I don't see the problem.

I can never have full fiath in buddychans judgment after spiller at 9 two years ago, but at least this was a position we needed help at. That alone makes all the hysteria confusing.

Everyone defending the pick keeps mentioning how much they throw the ball in today's NFL and you need to stop the pass.

My problem with that line of thought? The Bills themselves have no one other than Stevie to throw it to. There was a potentially elite WR sitting there and we passed. I really think IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO WIN THIS YEAR AND NOT CONTINUING THE NEVER-ENDING REBUILD that wide receiver was a much bigger need. We have talent at CB. Sure its aging talent, but its more than at WR. But I'm just whining right? We will get someone from UB in the 7th that will solve all of our WR issues.

WR is the position with the biggest bust potential other than QB. Floyd obviously has a problem and this is before he becomes a big star NFL player with a big fat contract to match. It will be much easier to find a WR in later rounds to compete for the #2 spot than it would be to find a CB with Gilmore's day one starter abilities. The Giants let Smith go and they were fine going ahead with the undrafted free agent Cruz and a 3rd round WR in Manningham as their second and third passing options.

The Floyd people were told over and over again that Nix wanted no part of drafting a guy with so many alcohol related incidents and the fact he wasn't brought into One Bills Drive should have cemented that pipe dream of him becoming a Bill. He was never coming here, get over it.