Ralph is........SAVVY?

I was surprised to not see Ralph at the PC. Hope he is doing well. Without him there would be no Buffalo Bills.

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned here is Mario mentioning all the improvements coming to the facility in the near future. Is this from the NYS money they are supposed to get? Anyone know what improvements? Wonder if they are turning the owners box into a hospice.

I have been very critical of Ralph and co. I am happy to be eating my words.

I realize they are obligated to hit the salary floor... but this signing took a lot of extra effort and resources.

For the first time in like 10 years I feel good about the organization. This is great.

i agree that there is probably an all-in mentality that was rolled into the glaring DE need.

This also smells of a little of desperation in that CHIX will be pressured this year to show some improvement - or will face the same consequences as previous staffs that have not been able to produce a winning product over the course of three years.

here's hoping that Williams contributes and $100 million pays off for the Bills in the form of some post-season appearances.

It's been a long 12 years with very little to be excited about when those seasons ended. That said, I applaud RW for finally seeing the light and spending on who we hope is a dynamic player no one (myself included) said they would sign. In no way would I expect this every season, but Bills fans deserve a winner more than any other team in the NFL and this more than proves the owner is willing.

This was a total team win, from owner to treasurer to GM to coaches to players. When the draft is over we can begin speculating with one huge credential on the roster on how this club will go into 2012 and beyond. They've been upping the ante this off-season and I think they've got, at least on paper, a defense to be reckoned with. The offense with a piece or two can be very good as well. Good job Buffalo. They've made us proud.

God Bless Mr. Wilson. On a side note. Does anyone else think that future ownership and stabilty had to play a big part in Mario signing here? I am sure he questioned that. What do you think he was told and by whom?

God Bless Mr. Wilson. On a side note. Does anyone else think that future ownership and stabilty had to play a big part in Mario signing here? I am sure he questioned that. What do you think he was told and by whom?

that crossed my mind too. That had to have come up, right?

I've never believed Ralph is "cheap." He wants to win just as badly as any of us and is willing to pay to do so, but he's had bad advice and spent unwisely. Look at what happened when he had the right people advising him (Saban, Knox, Polian) -- the right talent was signed and the Bills were successful. You never saw a guy leave because the Bills wouldn't pay enough during those years -- at least not that I can recall. That started happening with Donahoe, when he wouldn't keep guys in the mix who wanted to be here, and continued with the Levy/Jauron debacle of poor draft choices and worse talent evaluation.

Look at all the new contracts and extensions the Bills have put in place over the past two and a half years. The proof is in the pudding -- Ralph ain't cheap, and it finally looks like he's getting competent advice on how to spend that money.

Well said. Wilson has never been cheap with contracts since I started watching the Bills in the late 80s. He may give out foolish contracts and not get the top coaching candidates but he is far from cheap.

He did visit Jim so that's probably where it was discussed.

Think about who was not involved in the process and who was involved in the process.

The passing of the torch began with the courting of Mario Williams.

If you are implying that Ralph was NOT involved, I think you are off by a mile. It was not only his money but his "green light" that made this happen.

Totally agree! And for once I don't think it's wishful thinking... B-)

It's the story that nobody will cover or ask questions because there has been no press release and it's not obvious to the national beat writers. The article where he was interviewed about staying at home and spending time with his wife cemented it for me. He hasn't been involved, and that's the plan. Nothing nefarious. It's part of the transition. I've never been one that assumes Wilson passes on and leaves the team to the wolves. It's a multi-million dollar international company. It's his legacy. There has always been a plan in place, and now, we're in the early hours of watching it executed.

To me, the end of the 2011 season marked the end of one ownership and the early days of another. While it's still Mr. Wilson's money and team, the incoming ownership is managing the process, the first run of sorts to get their feet wet. I think that's why things are markedly different this year with the numerous re-signings of our own players and landed MW.

Fans should be excited about Mario Williams and delighted that there's a future for the team in Buffalo.

Edited by dpberr

Maybe because I'm older, I never joined the "Wilson is Cheap" crowd. I remember the Bills being willing to pay guys like Bennett and Kelly whatever it took to make them happy playing in Buffalo. In the late 80s and early 90s Wilson spent sufficiently to get the Bills into the playoffs year after year, including four consecutive AFC Championships.

Ralph's shortcoming, it seems to me, is in talent evaluation. Wilson has not always chosen good GMs, who in turn have not always chosen good Head Coaches nor drafted well.

As for money, I think these post-Mario quotes tell us everything we need to know about Wilson's attitude toward money:

Buddy Nix:

"A lot of times he takes some heat for not spending the money, not wanting to win and all those things. I have told you guys many times that he has never said, 'Don't do it, that's too much money.' He has always said do whatever it takes and if we have the resources we will do it. I think he has proved that and also has in the past."

Ralph Wilson:

"I didn't give a darn about the money, I can't take the money with me. The money had nothing to do with it."

Edited by hondo in seattle

You know there's a mutual respect there because Jim is continually referring to "Mr. Wilson".

I recall seeing it when Wilson retired #12...and it has continued on both ways. Who the hell knows how often they talk to each other, but you can just tell that they are close. There is a lot of respect both ways with them. Jim calling him "Mr.Wilson" and RW having Jim involved with recruiting and whatever else is asked...

Anyone else concerned that Mr. Wilson did not appear at a PC announcing the signing of the largest contract ever for an NFL defensive player? I am.

Unfortunately Ralph is up there in years and just can't travel that much any more. I'm just glad he is all-in to build a winner before he goes and restores his reputation and legacy.

I was just thinking and it could be dumb or just inappropriate but last years death of Al Davis's might have light a fire under Ralph Wilson to start spending some money to win a Super Bowl. I know Ralph always had a good relationship with Al and maybe now Mr. Wilson knows that his time could come up at anytime to.

I was just thinking and it could be dumb or just inappropriate but last years death of Al Davis's might have light a fire under Ralph Wilson to start spending some money to win a Super Bowl. I know Ralph always had a good relationship with Al and maybe now Mr. Wilson knows that his time could come up at anytime to.

Well if that's what it's taken we've been stuck with the worst owner in NFL history. :wallbash:

All this money spending makes me think he is making a push for playoffs and so on. I know he hasn't left DET. Anyone have any news on him?

I don't believe Ralph woke up this month and decide to spend. It was Nix's decision. In fact I think he deliberately underspent last season knowing he could roll cap money into this year.

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

He's a very old man. Everyday he wakes up is a bonus for him @ this point.

I don't think he's changed his philosophy in terms of spending, I just think he trusts Nix. Donahue left a bad taste in his mouth and everyone he brought in to run the team was incompetent until now.

In regards the MW signing, it was a perfect storm. One of the top pass rushers in the game became available in his prime and fit a glaring weakness on this team which is in year three of a rebuild.

BTW- for all the a**holes who were openly hoping for the death of Ralph, Im holding up two middle fingers.

Chan and Buddy need to win this year in order to get contract extensions. I've been saying it for monrths. They are going to do their best to make sure we make the playoffs. They are not going to be taking a QB to develop (at least not early in the draft). They are not going to be signing young, developing players. They want to win now. Add that to the new CBA requiring teams to spend a very high percentage of the cap and it is pretty obvious what was going to happen.

AGAIN, Nix has said it before, he has talked Ralph OUT OF SPENDING money in previous seasons because he didn't feel it was the right time and the right players. Fans always think that spending money on name players is good because of what players did on a previous team. But the coaches and GMs are looking at whats best for their team, and what they need from players at those positions. Alot of the time, guys may not fit the type of role they want for a position, even though that player may be a good player. Also Nix has said he isn't a fan of shopping in FA because the majority of the time you end up overspending on a guy who never reaches the level that you are paying them at. The Bills have spent lots of money in previous years, but on players that were then overpaid (Dockery, Walker, etc.)

This year they just happened to be in a position where one of the best players available was a guy that fit the role they needed and was a perfect fit.

I don't believe Ralph woke up this month and decide to spend. It was Nix's decision. In fact I think he deliberately underspent last season knowing he could role cap money into this year.

PTR

I had noticed that last year + the number of contracts designed to expire in 2012 was enticing.

I'm sure it's all part of the plan of transition.

Mr. Wilson is as healthy and as fine as one can be for living 93 years on this planet. However, I think what we're seeing without being explicitly told what we're seeing is that since the end of the 2011 season, there has been a transition towards the future ownership taking more of a leadership role on the management end in regards to free agency, the draft and contracts with the players on the roster.

Do you really think all these players sign multi-year contracts in Buffalo without feeling reassured by the proposed management plan?

I'm sure it's all part of the plan of transition.

Mr. Wilson is as healthy and as fine as one can be for living 93 years on this planet. However, I think what we're seeing without being explicitly told what we're seeing is that since the end of the 2011 season, there has been a transition towards the future ownership taking more of a leadership role on the management end in regards to free agency, the draft and contracts with the players on the roster.

Do you really think all these players sign multi-year contracts in Buffalo without feeling reassured by the proposed management plan?

Perhaps. I hope Ralph gets to enjoy a winner like all of us deserve. I love the guy. I will be bummed when he passes-we all will be. But I have said this before and will say it again. If Ralph has a plan to keep the Bills in BFLO upon his passing, we must erect a statue in his honor in Orchard Park, name a street after him and whatever else we can do to honor him. Now-If he leaves BFLO out to dry and the team is sold and moved to another city when he passes, I think bad things happen and his image is burned in effigy for about 100 years. We are all hoping for best, and something in my gut has always told me-The Bills are staying put!