Am I the only one who thinks Fred Jackson is being a huge baby?

I fault Gailey on this one. Like Nix, he does not appear to be a good communicator which does not bode well for the current regime. Any Bills fan will tell you Jackson is the better all-around RB. Spiller is a situational player too small to run between the tackles. Jackson is the "starter" but hopefully both will compliment one another.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it is worth, Fred had expressed his frustrations about not knowing his standing on the team to reporters, and feeling disrespected by the Bills organization, well before he learned he was not starting in the pre-season game. Even before the Lee Evans trade, which bothered him a lot. The starter against the Broncos was a symptom, not at all the issue. It's been a long time coming.

I'd agree he's underpaid. But that doesn't seem to be his gripe. He is not Thurman Thomas and CJ Spiller is not Kenneth Davis (yes I know, Kenneth Davis was sweet, bad example). But Jerry Sullivan- THE BILLS DID NOT REACH FOR SPILLER AT 9! He was considered the best player in the draft by both Gruden and Herm Edwards and I'm sure many others. Why do people act like the notion of trying to get carries for a guy taken 9th overall is an antiquated one? That's what they should be doing! If Jackson thoroughly outplays Spiller again this year, then he'll get the carries and will have nothing to worry about. This is the organization that made you- a guy playing in NFL Europe or the Arena League or whatever it was- a millionaire. Show some respect.

Herm Edwards?? No, you did't just reference the intelligence of ...Herm Edwards! Sweet!

Anyway, Jackson worked hard to get where he is--and he has made the sad sack Bills and their inept FO look repsectable the last few seasons. Spiller, who is obviously a little slow on the uptake, is the one who should be thanking everyone for his unearned millions.

Edited by Mr. WEO

this should have all been in-house. fred jackson is wrong in this situation. his position on the depth chart should be between him and the coaches.

and the K isn't great, but it was quite a windfall for him a few years ago. either party can ask to renegotiate a K (i know everyone knows this), so i'm not down on him for that.

I don't think he is being a baby, I think he is speaking his mind. He has been a model teammate and Bill and should be allowed to speak of his frustration over the situation. Frankly, I am surprised he handled it as professionally as he did. Most people would have gone off.

Model teammate? Discussing his individual frustrations rather than internally, yah that's a team player. Does Jackson not know hrs 30 yrs old? What are they going to do, not play and develop Spiller?

Professionally? Right, causing public dissary and pressuring a young developing rb through your outcry is so helpful.

I'm a bills fan, and of course fred is a fan of Fred which I get and understand; however, I'm interested in the here and now as well as the future. I'm not interested in featuring Fred until he 35 to then have a 30 yr rookie essentially in spiller.

I don't believe for a second that he wasn't baited by WGR to create a story.

That might well be true. When I was an army officer serving in Iraq, a NYT journalist (who had been granted uninhibited access) asked my soldiers very leading, provocative questions. Not satisfied with the responses, he then read an incendiary statement and asked if any of the soldiers would mind being quoted as saying it. One of my young, naive soldiers - who hadn't spoken until this point - volunteered to have the quote attributed to him. The NYT writer then had his story - which I later paid for. I've been very suspect of journalists ever since.

I am going to go out on the shop floor right now and move some people to different departments and change the foremen around because I can. I don't have to explain how or why to anyone. I wonder how this will go over.

Awesome, also let us know how you are going to handle the employee that calls the news and talks about the horrible management at your company before even coming to you about it for clarification. :rolleyes:

Freddie is a solid every down back. I was so bored watching Lynch get 3 yard gains and he seems freakin slow and didnt want to be part of the team. He thought he was a gangster. Spiller has alot to prove, you dont know if he'll make the best decision every time he touches the ball. I am comfortable with Fred in the backfield, he seems to want to play for Buffalo. I dont think he is being a baby. Imagine if we just had White and Spiller this year, I wouldnt feel threatened as a defense.

Why does anyone assume he didn't discuss these matters with the FO before going public? Because you didn't hear about it? Or it just seemed like the scenario that might possibly have occurred so therefore it did? Please clarify or share where you get your inside info.

He's not being a baby, he's being a HUGE coward. He wants more money and didn't have the guts to stand up and say so. He know that if he's not the consensus #1 back is chances of getting more $ are greatly reduced.

Instead he conjured up some story about being respected. Someone should remind him that when he came into the league no other NFL teams wanted anything to do with him. The Bills gave him a chance to earn millions now he wants more.

Maybe he'd prefer to go back to Europe?

I can't understand how someone could be so upset about this? Did you have a man crush on marshawn and you're upset because Freddie out played him?

You're blowing this entirely out of proportion. He's a "coward".....ROFL!!!! Listen to yourself mang.

this has all been blown out of proportion by the media (like most things today)

it is also Fred planting the seeds for a new/reworked deal, he had said that this whole thing is "a little about the money"

He isn't happen with his current deal and the rumors about CJ being given the "starting job", add in probable frustration over the team letting a veteran like Evans leave and at his age, seeing the writing on the wall that the team wants to get much younger, he made some public comments that made him look like he was whining.

Of course with Fred being a sacred player around these parts, slightly ahead of Fitz, as guys who should just be handed their jobs for the amazing work they have done for a 4-12 team, no competition should be made for their position because it may make them upset.

Do us bills fans really live fitz THAT much? Jackson is only slightly ahead of him? Fitz played 1 ok season. Freds been our best player on O for 4 years. I like fitz, but a "sacred player"? Please.

Why does anyone assume he didn't discuss these matters with the FO before going public? Because you didn't hear about it? Or it just seemed like the scenario that might possibly have occurred so therefore it did? Please clarify or share where you get your inside info.

Because this entire thing was created, and occurred within the media.

Tim Graham writes article. Someone asks Fred what he thinks about the article. Someone then asks Chan what he thinks about Fred's reaction to the article.

It's the news creating news.

What Fred SHOULD HAVE said, when asked about the Tim Graham article, is "I can only control what I do on the field. I'll keep working hard and playing hard and be the best back I can be, and what the coaches decide is not up to me."

Im not going to say huge baby, but the way he went about it was immature. Don't go to the media. GO to Gailey and Nix and ask them, adn talk to them in private.

IMO, Freddie is what he is. A 30 year old good running back. He will not be around when the Bills actually have a shot at making the playoffs (See Lee Evans) So Spiller needs to get touches to see if he can be a dominate player in this league.

I like Freedie I think he is good for this team, but he is paid like the 40th best back in the league for a reason. He signed the contract and was not happy about it when he did. He has no one to blame but himself.

Like you said, he's a 30 year old running back. He doesn't have long. And like any professional, he wants his big pay day before he's "retired." I'm pretty sure all this attention seeking is just so that he is given more snaps to highlight his productivity >> so he gets a better contract>> so he gets paid more >> so he when he is pushed aside with either CJ or someone else taking his spot, he can retire a rich happy man.

Closed mouths don't get fed.

Edited by BillsRUs

If Fred is a little upset, it's understandable. FJ is, at this time, a better RB. Unfortunately, in too many cases, a player's contract is based more on college performance and potential than actual output. Fred had to work his way up, and in a side by side comparison, is underpaid compared to Spiller.

It's almost the same as an employee lacking much in the way of formal education, working their ass off from the loading docks and making it into a management position. Chances are that guy with all the right stuff who came up through the school of hard knocks is gonna get stiffed pay-wise over the fratboy varsity letterman coming from UGA.

Not fair, but that's the way it is sometime.

Didn't the new CBA address some of these issues? i.e. - better compensation for vets and a cap on unproven rookies?

Edited by DML2005

Freebies JOB is to play football, he shows up to work everyday, on time with a good attitude.

He sets a good example for the younger guys and does what he is asked.

How would you like if you were the best at what you do for your employer but your boss keeps trying to have guys who make 2-3 times what you make

try to do your job and after not being able to, instead of them paying you what the guys who don't do your job as good as you make, they try another less knowledgeable higher paid

employee to do your job again... And the cycle doesn't stop

Pretty sure most of us would demand better, or quit

I am pretty sure there is more to it than that.

It's along drawn-out history of disrespect

Nice try, but in football both are making obscene amounts of money compared to the real world,so, IMHO, not

a very good analogy at all. You can't compare sports compensation to the real world, as you really can't say that

anybody in professional sports is underpaid, relatively speaking.

Ugh. This post along with all the ther ones lately about Eva s and Ralphie and Nix, etc, etc... It males me feel like were the "Bickering Bills" all over again. Pretty soon well have more players pissed and complaining about stupid crap.

I don't feel bad for Freddy at all. I DO LOVE THE GUY, but do no not feel ANY bit of sadness for him. The truth is he was an undrafted FA and is lucky to even have recieved a shot to be a starting RB. He played well but not well enough to unseat Lynch, it was only because of Lynchs stupidity and suspensions that Freddie even got a shot. He signed his contract a few years ago, it was not his first contract, it was renegotiated and he signed it. He had a chance to enter the FA market and he opted to stay with the Bills. He signed a contract and was under the assumption that he would be at best, splitting carries with Lynch at the time. Now, don't get me wrong, he has proved to be a very good to great back for us in that time. But he expected to be a backup over a year ago with Lynch on the team, and he should expect to split carries with Spiller too. Every team in the league (almost) runs with multiple backs. The Chiefs, Panthers and Raiders had 2 guys at or around the 1,000 yard mark. There is no reason why he shouldn't think it's possible here too. And at the ripe age of 30+ for a RB he should be happy he's not cut outright regardless of production. Hell, the Chargers cut the best RB in The NFL since Barry Sanders and went with the a guy that was not only drafted after CJ but wasn't half as talented as all the pro scouts thought.

Give me a break. I'm so sick of these so called professional and "good lockerroom" guys complain. They are all overpaid scumbags anyway. I work in the prison system and these so called professional athletes are no different from the dirtbags that I watch work out all day in the yard. Half of them are thugs, rapists, charged with assaults on thier significant others or drunk idiots in a bar anyway. I'm getting really annoyed with all this crap I can't take it anymore.

do you oversee any workers who, while doing a pretty good job, are viewed as being better at their jobs than they really are?

None that I oversee. I'd say that would be more common in management.

Awesome, also let us know how you are going to handle the employee that calls the news and talks about the horrible management at your company before even coming to you about it for clarification. :rolleyes:

Calling the news is not necessary. I work in a Union Shop.

The truth is that any chance Freddy has been given to perform he has. He's been there through two HIGH first round RBs in th elast 4 years (BTW, WHO THE EFF DOES THIS!) and both have proven inferior. Yet the Bills are still trying to replace him? He's not a baby at all, he sees things that go on at OBD and it continues to blow his mind. :bag:

Do us bills fans really live fitz THAT much? Jackson is only slightly ahead of him? Fitz played 1 ok season. Freds been our best player on O for 4 years. I like fitz, but a "sacred player"? Please.

All off season anytime someone brought up drafting or signing a QB it was always about how it was for the backup spot only, cause Fitz "deserved to start" and that you don't want to upset him by bringing in competition.

As for Fred, he has been the best player on one of the leagues worst offenses the last 4 years, everyone acts like he is the second coming of OJ (the football player)

My only problem with Jackson is that he should have tried to deal with this with his coaches before going outside. I assume he did not do that if he did than I owe him an apology.

Nix has done very little right in this organization in terms of adding talent. Darius was a no brainer he was the best on the board. Merriman right now is his big success if Spiller turns out to be average or below it's the first strike on him. Sullivan was right the Spiller promotion was all about trying to make the new regime look good. My feeling is that Nix pushed hard for it and Gailey went along against his better judgement. The management of this team above Gailey is looking worse with every passing day.

Best player in that draft????? I dont think there was one person in the entire world that believed that except maybe his mother. Why do you make things up?

There were several people that had him rated the same way you saw aj green or Peterson rated this year- best player but at a position that doesn't go ahead of the premium positions of qb, LT, Dline

YES!

No he isn't. I agree 100% Total freakin' baby. Fred, stop crying like a little B word and just produce when the ball is handed to you. The rest will take care of itself. Geesh.

Edited by BuffaloBob

You're 30, a solid but not great running back and you're playing for a ****ty, young team who is looking to rebuild.

Of course your playing time is going to diminish, especially when you're sharing a spot with a first round pick. If Spiller continues to stink, you'll see 90% of the carries, just do your thing and collect your paycheck.

Read Sullivan this morning and then read the comment by Chris Krueger below the article. Absolutely destroys Sullivan and he's 100% right. What does Fred Jackson think? That he's gonna go to another team and get 300 carries? Every team in the league uses a platoon system. Of course he's gonna end up with more carries than Spiller this year. They're going to try to win, which means they're gonna give carries to the back that is producing. But of course Spiller needs the touches in the preseason. I have the organization's back 100% on this one. Just as long as they don't trade him.

No, would Jim Kelly not rant if he wasn't starting every pre-season game? They need d to quit srewing around and make him the starter with CJ backing up.

There were several people that had him rated the same way you saw aj green or Peterson rated this year- best player but at a position that doesn't go ahead of the premium positions of qb, LT, Dline

I looked up every major sports reporting draft projection for the 2010 class not one had him going as high as we took him and not one mentioned him as the best player in the draft. Each and everyone said Suh was the best player.

What Fred SHOULD HAVE said, when asked about the Tim Graham article, is "I can only control what I do on the field. I'll keep working hard and playing hard and be the best back I can be, and what the coaches decide is not up to me."

very well said. Again, going to the media (or using them by not giving a 'team' answer as above) is rarely, if ever, productive.

Suck it up...tell your coach to his face that you think his decision is a bunch of crap (and feel free to call him a jerk for not telling you (if you feel so compelled); and that you are going to make it impossible for him to ever make you second string. Or...heaven forbid...the coach is right and you get outplayed. Either way...man up.

And yes...I think Fred has been admirable through his career.

Fred Jackson has every right to say something. He hasn't been treated like the top back in the past few years and he had outperformed all his competition. On top of that he isn't get paid nearly what he should be for being the Bills most consistent offensive player over the last 2 or 3 years by a large margin. Fred blocks, catches and runs well. The Bills went with Lynch over him and now they are trying to push Spiller over him. The bottom line is the Bills drafted Spiller to be the #1 but he can't hold Jackson's jock strap. They are giving Spiller every chance to claim the #1 but it's obvious he is not better than Freddy. I wish they would just use Spiller to spell Jackson from time to time but you know that isn't going to happen unfortunately.

YES!

You seriously don't think so? Because he is. He's crying to the media because Spiller was ahead of him for ONE LOUSY PLAYOFF GAME!

Get over it Jackson you're a friggen baby. C.J. is way more talented. Once C.J. learns the game he will blow you out of the water.

I think Jackson is 30 years old. He's played football most of his life, a lot of you guys on these boards think he has 3/4 years left I don't. I am thinking 3 at MAX.

He does everything well but nothing great. I think C.J. needs to get more touches so he can learn this game so us Bills fans can finally see him DOMINATE.

Jackson is a perfect compliment to C.J. not the other way around.

Edited by DukeyBomb

Read Sullivan this morning and then read the comment by Chris Krueger below the article. Absolutely destroys Sullivan and he's 100% right. What does Fred Jackson think? That he's gonna go to another team and get 300 carries? Every team in the league uses a platoon system. Of course he's gonna end up with more carries than Spiller this year. They're going to try to win, which means they're gonna give carries to the back that is producing. But of course Spiller needs the touches in the preseason. I have the organization's back 100% on this one. Just as long as they don't trade him.

Yes and No...one, he should have realized a #9 draft pick making big money is going to need touches. So, to get upset that he is getting touches over him seems a bit silly since it is preseason. So, in that aspect, he should just calm down a little bit and let it play out as his play will speak for itself.

On the other hand, I don't blame him for being frustrated as he has done nothing but produce yet the FO never seems to just give him the backing he has earned. First, Lynch was brought in as a first round pick despite the staff raving about this unknown guy Jackson on our roster all off season that year. Then FJ pretty much kept proving he was the better back of the two the longer they were both here. Then with both of them on the roster, we use the #9 pick on another RB further crowding the roster.

So far, FJ has proven to be better than Lynch and thus far has been better than Spiller, but both Lynch and Spiller have gotten way more money than FJ ever did or will. So, to be a player of his caliber and keep seeing a team draft first round RB's and pay them a bounty compared to what he gets despite outperforming them would get frustrating.

Im not going to say huge baby, but the way he went about it was immature. Don't go to the media. GO to Gailey and Nix and ask them, adn talk to them in private.

IMO, Freddie is what he is. A 30 year old good running back. He will not be around when the Bills actually have a shot at making the playoffs (See Lee Evans) So Spiller needs to get touches to see if he can be a dominate player in this league.

I like Freedie I think he is good for this team, but he is paid like the 40th best back in the league for a reason. He signed the contract and was not happy about it when he did. He has no one to blame but himself.

Very well said. I agree 100%.

The thing that sticks out for me is that this is just another glaring example of the disfunction at 1 Bills Dr

Yes and No...one, he should have realized a #9 draft pick making big money is going to need touches.

I'm trying to imagine the Patriots using that "We picked him high, we have to play him" logic. I just can't.

Probably why they're not losers.

I'm trying to imagine the Patriots using that "We picked him high, we have to play him" logic. I just can't.

Probably why they're not losers.

They also tend not to pick as high. It's easier to let a guy making late first round dollars sit. not saying it's right or wrong, just noting CJs signing bonus was probably 80% of their picks total dollars.

And last, I know it's a new regime and all but I'd reference maybin for the fact that they aren't just haphazardly putting guys in by paycheck. Perhaps they actually see something in spiller worth giving playing time to? This, even in it's most scandalous iterations, isn't benching Jackson. The two will be splitting reps. Every team splits RB reps. By starting cj in preseason he gets to see his against #1s which is much more important than seeing Jackson against them.

Mike I dont think I can agree with you on this one.....

That the bills have an opportunity to do here is show the bills players that we do in fact take care of our own despite having traded away Lee Evans......who was also respected in the locker room......

This Fred Jackson has ever done is produce......yes he comes from nothing but that makes his story even better..he has basically outplayed 2 first round draft picks yet every year he is competing for his job and isn't being compensated correctly.

Just extend him a couple of years and give him a raise.....shut the Drayton Florence tweeters up and show we take care of our players.

First off let me preface this by saying i love Fred Jackson, and I believe he's the best offensive pkayer the Bills have had since Eric Molds. He's not just an adequate starter but, a highly productive and consistent back running behind a putrid run blocking Oline on a team that rarely has a lead and throws way more often than it rushes. It's very uncharacteristic of FJ to gripe to the media. He's always had to prove himself and beat out other more highly touted players his whole career. Why get angry now; about the preseason no less? I know I'm only speculating but I bet Fred doesn't really want to play for the Bils anymore and maybe he's trying to get traded too. I have no proof. I don't know someone who knows someone deep within OBD, but it makes more sense than Fred Jackson has suddenly decided to become a crybaby.